PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/22/21 10:45 PM
HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE

This is a total re-work of a song I posted a long time ago. I was new to BIAB and just finding my way around with the program and always felt that the song deserved a much better treatment. With this one I feel I'm getting closer. The band is carrying the vast majority of the load. I'm just adding vocals and guitar along with synths and a little supplemental piano. It's a song about having hope for the future and I hope somebody gets a blessing from it! Thanks so much for taking time to give my tune a listen! I really do appreciate it!

BIAB
Drums - Southern Pop Funky Soul
Bass - 3469 Americana Sync SteveB
Piano - 2194 Electric Vintage Cool Jazz Pop
Guitar - 3645 Acoustic Rhythm Finger Indie Folk
Guitar - 1945 Acoustic Rhythm Groovin Folk
Guitar - 542 Electric Rhythm Dreamy
Synth - Pop modern Groove Mellow

Me
Vocals
Guitar - Godin Nylon String (Fills and Solos)
Guitar - Electric Rhythm (In the chorus and break sections)
Piano
Synths

Hope Beyond The Grave
Words and Music by Torrey Bliss
© 2002

Some say when we all die
When we've lived out our last day
That there's no hope when we're gone
That we just all fade away

I have hope beyond the grave
I know there will come a day
When I'll walk through Heaven's door
I have a reason to believe
Lord in You I do believe
You died to set me free
You rose on the third day
I have a hope
Hope beyond the grave

Lord when you walked on this earth
Seen by the one's who wrote your words
And they are words that bring life
Giving hope and peace of mind

Chorus

[font:Century Gothic][/font]
Posted By: rayc Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/23/21 06:30 AM
Lovely melody and harmonies Torrey.
The arrangement is solid and your contributions really lift it ...the nylon axe sings.
A wonderful package as always.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/23/21 12:09 PM
Torrey,
Very sonically pleasant work. Excellent work on nylon guitar. All aspects from composition to mix is very well delivered. Good listen!

P.S. There is a music label Higher Octave, this is right in the alley of albums they published. I was actually listening to a CD a few days ago, so memory is fresh smile I would not be surprised if you participated in one of their compilations... Did you?
Posted By: Robertkc Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/23/21 01:12 PM
Torrey,
A pleasure to hear you deliver in all departments; positive message sung and harmonized with feeling. The guitar break & fills are excellent.A very polished production in a pop style you own here.

Robert
Posted By: Scott C Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/23/21 01:50 PM
Lovely song. Love the jazzy guitar licks. Super vocal, harmonies and effect processing. Well done.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/23/21 03:30 PM
Torrey,

A good write. Solid production. Nice vocals and BGVs - interesting processing there (is there a flanger on them? - whatever, it works...)

You have a great sense of Radio-style Pop and what makes that work...which makes it always a pleasure to listen to your music.

Very well mixed, too.

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 08:30 AM
Torrey,

This song is SO GOOD. This was completely worth the re-work.

Outstanding vocal and arrangement. Mix is tremendous.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 08:47 AM
Hi Torrey,

Love the jazzy feel happening on the guitar, nice! I'm a Godin fan BTW, very underrated guitars. I own one and have a new one on the way wink

Lovely melody and nice arrangement. Just a very good song, nice to hear the rework.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 08:50 AM
Excellent, Torrey. You hit me with this at just the right time, Thanks. What a great song, man. VERY inspirational, and so well written and produced. I'd say you got this BiaB thing down pat now.
Posted By: Sundance Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 10:34 AM
Hey Torrey,
Such an uplifting message! Sounds great. Love the harmonies.
Josie
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 01:28 PM
Thanks Ray for taking time to listen and comment! It's always appreciated! T
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 08:13 PM
I was expecting a more somber sound to this song, but I really enjoyed what you did with this! I think the arrangement you went with adds to that feeling of hope you were trying to get across. Well done!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 09:32 PM
You've always been one of my favorite vocalists and songwriters here on the forum. This song is a wonderful write, production, arrangement and performance. A top level release at every level. I always look forward to your releases and enjoyed the song and message from start to end.

Charlie
Posted By: dcuny Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/24/21 10:21 PM
Great sound from the start.

Upbeat, nice harmonies, melodic and catchy. Excellent nylon string playing.

laugh
Posted By: firesong Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/25/21 12:44 AM
Torrey...really enjoyed this song in every way...I'll start with it's message (the most important part of any song) "I have a hope beyond the grave" sadly not everyone has...thank you for sharing this testimony to that truth...the music is so well produced and performed...worthy of the message and interesting in so much as it leans into the jazz/pop genre...the vocals are top-notch...I'm a sucker for great harmonies and these are high and tight...as a gospel writer IMO I know the "good news" when I hear it and this was good news times two (message and music)....thanks Dan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/25/21 03:12 PM
Thanks Misha for the nice comments! I'm not familiar with the label you referenced. I have participated on other compilation albums before (long ago and don't even remember who the labels were now). Some of those out there are borderline scams and some are good. Thanks, T
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/25/21 04:33 PM
Redoing older songs is always interesting ground to walk on.
No doubt you took this modern P&W song to a new level with this production.

The nylon guitar is excellent as are all of your vocal and instrumental performances.

The RT and RD choice is excellent. Mullti-genre selections but all honed into a fine cohesive sound.

Mission accomplished!

Enjoyed it, J&B

PS Are the vocal levels the same on the vid and audio? They seemed a wee bit down on the video.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/25/21 06:06 PM
Torrey:

Very cool tune. Listening I’m trying to peg what this reminds me of . . . a little Steely Dan, but something else . . . but in the end it’s all you. Wonderfully put together—great RealTrack selections deftly balanced in the production. Love the Nylon solos and fills—really add to the feel and texture of the song. Great vocal! Very radio ready.

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: David Snyder Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/25/21 09:44 PM
Yeah I remember this song!

The new version sounds great man!

smile
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/26/21 08:02 AM
Thanks Robert! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/26/21 08:03 AM
Thanks Scott for taking the time to listen and comment! T
Posted By: Birchwood Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/26/21 08:47 AM
Hi Torrey,

The moment I heard the first tones, I knew I heard this song before, some years ago. I liked it a lot back then and I still do.
I do remember it was also on YouTube! At that time I thought one has to be a star to get on that platform!
So I looked up to you and was as proud as a cat (I think) when you commented possitively on one of my songs.

Of course I was sooo 'green' than, but even I learned that YouTube is not only for stars. I'm on it too.
I wrote you before I like a lot more of your songs, but this one belongs in the top 5. Definitely!

There is one little 'but': at 3:12 you go high on the vocals with your bg, but it gets a little sharp. I listened several times to it to make sure. So if you want to take a listen? I could be wrong...

Have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/26/21 01:42 PM
Well produced recording. The vocal treatment is outstanding. The electric guitar work (that you played) is fantastic. Good song.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/27/21 08:18 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Torrey,

A good write. Solid production. Nice vocals and BGVs - interesting processing there (is there a flanger on them? - whatever, it works...)

You have a great sense of Radio-style Pop and what makes that work...which makes it always a pleasure to listen to your music.

Very well mixed, too.

fj

Thanks Floyd! There isn't any effects like flanging on the vocals. Only the usual things like reverb and delay. I double tracked all the parts and that is probably the reason for that sound you detected.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/27/21 03:16 PM
Thanks Bob! Your comments mean a lot t me! T
Posted By: MarioD Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/27/21 05:00 PM
Torrey, this is pro all the way and ready for air play.

Excellent chops, sweet sounding guitars, a great vocal with an outstanding message. The harmonies were perfect. Your mix is perfect.

This is your best to date IMHO.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/27/21 11:48 PM
Hi Torrey.
Have to quote Mario on this one - 'pro all the way and ready for air play.' Fabulous work on the nylon strings and superb singing as always.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/28/21 08:10 AM
Thanks Dave! I agree with you about the Godins! They often don't have the "flashy" looks some instruments have but they are built and sound good.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/28/21 08:11 AM
Thanks Marty! I appreciate all that! T
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/28/21 01:39 PM
Great song, I am envious of the guitar playing, I laid mine down for a long time, and suffer for it now in my old age, I love the stereo surround in this tune!!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/28/21 10:48 PM
Thanks Josie for having a listen and commenting! I always appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 07:10 AM
Thanks for listening and commenting Ember! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 07:12 AM
Thanks Charlie for all of that! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 07:13 AM
Thanks David! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:05 PM
Thanks Firesong! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:06 PM
Thanks J&B! I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:07 PM
Thanks Deej for your comments! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:07 PM
Thanks David! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:08 PM
Thanks Hans for the listen! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:09 PM
Thanks jptjptjpt for listening and commenting! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:10 PM
Thanks Mario! I truly appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/30/21 10:10 PM
Thanks Leon! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: HOPE BEYOND THE GRAVE - 07/31/21 08:14 PM
A very lush and tasteful production. Excellent vocal. I think all the superlatives have already been expressed, so I will second them.
© PG Music Forums