PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/23/21 07:26 PM
Reasons To Go On

This was written a few months ago as a response to the coup in Myanmar, though its more a song of support for all the young protesters in SE Asian countries where democracy is on the ropes... in a musical wrapper we hope you`ll enjoy.

Scott plays lead and slide and Ray is on bass
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in style: 2875:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AmericanaTremoloSlow128Colin Sw 040
RealTracks in song: 832:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryMoody Ev 075
RealTracks in song: ~2505:Piano, Electric, HeldChords 085
RealDrums [in Song:AmericanaSlowRockFred^1-a:Sidestick ,HiHat , b:Ride ,Snare
RealDrums ElecKickSlow
RT2334 StringQuartet
VocalsGospelBackground

Reasons To Go On

a windy whispering moonless night
the coded gaze blinks on street lights
keep your secrets
in the corner of your eye

life was fire now is smoke
regrets curl out windows
she hides what`s lost
in the lining of her cloak
no star no star
save her own soul

kids in the street
a lover`s heartbeat
her rusty pink velocipede
the hallelujah of whale song
her green homeland
mandala of sand
sorrows swept away with her hand
the dance in her sarong
these are her reasons
reasons to go on

wonder revived by twilight
she smiles at the lidless eye
everything`s possible
when everything`s denied

flings her heart over the fence
with partisans of dissent
her sixth sense
her only defense
no star no star
save her own soul

the DMZ
wild with trees
those lovely lovely lines of Keats
truth is beauty
written in a song
cathedral awe
she can`t ignore
the sign she holds and won`t withdraw
the earth turning through the wrong
these are her reasons
reasons to go on
so many reasons
reasons to go on

© Robert Cordrey April 2021
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/23/21 09:35 PM
SL team,

Very good groove on this tune and so different from your prior offerings. Definitely a new facet of SL. Vocals A+. Everybody performs as one, nothing sticking out. Ultra nice harmonies. Chilling gospel was a excellent choice. Somber subject well delivered. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/24/21 01:19 AM
Sonically interesting - more pop and lyrical than Spirit Level songs I've heard, but with enough "sideways" and unexpeted direction to make me pay attention.

Really liked the use of the drum to to change the feel at 2:15, delayed vocals at 3:15, ghostly background vocals are all standouts.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/24/21 08:14 AM
Robert,

You and the group have created another awesome song.

Love your vocal and the ethereal backdrop. Great mix.

Inspired and excellent.

Bob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/24/21 09:11 AM
Very inspirational, once again raising the listener's spirit level. Excellent lyrics and melody sung so well, Robert, and Scott's guitar work is exceptional. I wouldn't've thought of slide but, man, it works like a crying child getting our attention. Ray's bass is absolutely perfect.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/24/21 10:09 AM
Hey Robert,
Very ethereal psychedelic rock production fits the song well and sounds great to me.
Enjoyed my listen.

Josie
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/24/21 12:49 PM
Lovely song guys! Great job by all of you! The vocals are excellent and the slide part of Scott's are super! Rays bass playing does what it's supposed to by not drawing a lot of attention to itself but really carries the song along and sounds good! All those extra little effects here and there really give the song a unique sound with a dreamy quality! The whole piece just flows along and takes the listener to another place. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/24/21 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
SL team,

Very good groove on this tune and so different from your prior offerings. Definitely a new facet of SL. Vocals A+. Everybody performs as one, nothing sticking out. Ultra nice harmonies. Chilling gospel was a excellent choice. Somber subject well delivered. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha,
Perhaps similar in style to some earlier SL songs...or a breather; heavier material will follow soon!
Thanks for the positives.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sonically interesting - more pop and lyrical than Spirit Level songs I've heard, but with enough "sideways" and unexpeted direction to make me pay attention.

Really liked the use of the drum to to change the feel at 2:15, delayed vocals at 3:15, ghostly background vocals are all standouts.

David,
I`m glad you found the sound interesting and unexpected.Thanks for listening!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert,

You and the group have created another awesome song.

Love your vocal and the ethereal backdrop. Great mix.

Inspired and excellent.

Bob

Bob,
That`s very kind- thank you!

Robert
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/25/21 08:07 AM
Hi guys,

Different than what I'm used to hearing from Spirit Level, but still has that SL sound. Nice to hear you try something a little different!

Scott has a very distinctive style, not too many players do these days; very recognizable. And you have a distinctive style too, great vocal, and very cool harmonies!

And Ray is always solid on the bass.

Good song, enjoyed.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/25/21 11:37 AM
Robert, Scott, Ray...

Nice job by all. A really cool sound - great combination of tracks and an excellent mix. Sounds great on the 'phones - a delight to the ears...

Good vocal.

Nice guitar.

Cool stuff.

fj
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/25/21 03:58 PM
Changes (and melody) at first quirky repeated until they are inevitable. Too little freedom, mixed with too much freedom exercised by unworthy influencers makes things muddy and bloody. I don't believe in "free-will" and I do believe the arc of the Universe bends towards justice, unstoppably. That's the greatest freedom of all, so whatever her reasons, go on.

Really sweet musical package. Scott seemed to be channeling the tone of SEA in his complementary guitar lines. Well done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/25/21 04:11 PM
Most importantly in our opinion is that this is a great lyric for a most deserving cause.

Your vocals and the way all of the tracks are mixed gives a feeling of mysticism that even more enhances the lyric.

As always Ray glues it all together and Scott finds the perfect tone and chops for the feel.

Creative, sophisticated and nothing better than music to wake folks up to the needs of so many.

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/25/21 06:04 PM
Spirit Level:

What a wonderful write this is Robert—poetic and powerful. And the production is expertly done—love the guitar solo. But everything is so well balanced. And what lovely vocals, particularly at the very end of that second chorus—wow, very pretty, very impressive. All that said, I keep coming back to the write. Among your finest, no doubt. Excellent work all!

My best regards to you all,

Deej
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/26/21 10:29 AM
Another brilliant set of lyrics.

Spirit Level always seems to create a unique and appealing sound.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/27/21 07:34 AM
Hi Spirit levels, Robert, Scott and Ray,

Impressive song! Especially the beautiful (and sad) lyrics and how they were sung, with the doubles and other kind of vocals.
Surreal in a way, emphasized by the instruments and the slide. I am always mesmerized by your songs, but maybe this one becomes special.
I think it's because of the lyrics and their cause.

The only thing that gave me some doubts was your whole beautiful last verse. I only take out a few words: "the earth turning through the wrong. These are her reasons, reasons to go on". I think you want to give hope, while I see that is the main loser throughout history. Of course, I agree, there is nothing else to hold on. But it is almost an empty conception.
But maybe that will be handled in another song ;-)

So, I loved the song, mates!
Hans
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/27/21 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Very inspirational, once again raising the listener's spirit level. Excellent lyrics and melody sung so well, Robert, and Scott's guitar work is exceptional. I wouldn't've thought of slide but, man, it works like a crying child getting our attention. Ray's bass is absolutely perfect.

Marty,
The slide surprised me too- Scott added another dimension with that.
I`m glad you found this inspiring!

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Hey Robert,
Very ethereal psychedelic rock production fits the song well and sounds great to me.
Enjoyed my listen.

Josie

Thank you, Josie!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Lovely song guys! Great job by all of you! The vocals are excellent and the slide part of Scott's are super! Rays bass playing does what it's supposed to by not drawing a lot of attention to itself but really carries the song along and sounds good! All those extra little effects here and there really give the song a unique sound with a dreamy quality! The whole piece just flows along and takes the listener to another place. Thanks, Torrey

Torrey,
We appreciate your listen and positive comments.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi guys,

Different than what I'm used to hearing from Spirit Level, but still has that SL sound. Nice to hear you try something a little different!

Scott has a very distinctive style, not too many players do these days; very recognizable. And you have a distinctive style too, great vocal, and very cool harmonies!

And Ray is always solid on the bass.

Good song, enjoyed.

Dave,
You have been a consistent Spirit Level listener from the start- thanks so much for all your kind comments!

Robert
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/27/21 11:19 PM
Another well performed Spirit Level song and a moving and poetic tribute to the bravery shown by so many in the face of violence and oppression, in Myanmar and elsewhere. Well done, guys.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Scott C Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/28/21 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments. So glad you liked it. The world is becoming a crazy place. Roberts lyrics on this one really touched the heart strings..
Posted By: edshaw Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/28/21 09:04 PM
Very good in so many ways. Scott's guitar work is beautiful and captivating.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/29/21 01:00 PM
Poetic, beautiful and touching lyrics. Sad truths sung with strong compassion. Scott's playing is once again enjoyable. Ray's bass sounds nicely soft and it brings live feeling also to the drums. Those strings and gospel vocals are good selections, but I feel they lack something now compared to the otherwise excelling band.

Janne
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/29/21 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert, Scott, Ray...

Nice job by all. A really cool sound - great combination of tracks and an excellent mix. Sounds great on the 'phones - a delight to the ears...

Good vocal.

Nice guitar.

Cool stuff.

fj

Thanks for those positive comments, Floyd.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Changes (and melody) at first quirky repeated until they are inevitable. Too little freedom, mixed with too much freedom exercised by unworthy influencers makes things muddy and bloody. I don't believe in "free-will" and I do believe the arc of the Universe bends towards justice, unstoppably. That's the greatest freedom of all, so whatever her reasons, go on.

Really sweet musical package. Scott seemed to be channeling the tone of SEA in his complementary guitar lines. Well done.

Tangmo,
I`m glad this brought up some things for you and like your expression: "the arc of the Universe bends towards justice, unstoppably." Amen to that!
Thank you for listening and commenting.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Most importantly in our opinion is that this is a great lyric for a most deserving cause.

Your vocals and the way all of the tracks are mixed gives a feeling of mysticism that even more enhances the lyric.

As always Ray glues it all together and Scott finds the perfect tone and chops for the feel.

Creative, sophisticated and nothing better than music to wake folks up to the needs of so many.

Kudos!

J&B

J&B,
The sound is more layered than usual, so I appreciate your approval of the mix ( I haven`t mixed an SL song in a while).
Your very kind comments are appreciated!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Spirit Level:

What a wonderful write this is Robert—poetic and powerful. And the production is expertly done—love the guitar solo. But everything is so well balanced. And what lovely vocals, particularly at the very end of that second chorus—wow, very pretty, very impressive. All that said, I keep coming back to the write. Among your finest, no doubt. Excellent work all!

My best regards to you all,

Deej

Deej,
I`m writing less these days and so perhaps choosing subjects that really get me fired up.
Its very supportive to hear you enjoyed the lyrics and our interpretation of the song as a band.

Robert
Posted By: Derochette Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/29/21 04:13 PM
Hi Robertkc,

Pretty ethereal sounds that plunges us into a mystical atmosphere related to your poetic words. Well done.

Kindly reagard
derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 07/29/21 05:16 PM
Brilliant!

Everything has already been said that I would have said.

All I can add is that the backing tracks set an excellent pad for your vocal and lyrics.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 08/02/21 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone for checking out the song. We really appreciate your comments
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 08/14/21 01:54 AM
Wow, loved those BG vocals! Took this up a notch for sure! Great lyrics as usual with many good nuggets to mine and enjoy. Excellent work.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 08/25/21 09:21 PM
Lovely, beautiful and captivating song!

I don't know what else to say... this performance made me speechless...

Will
Posted By: PeterF Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 08/26/21 12:09 AM
Seemed to have missed this one - it deserves all the accolades it has received.

Beautifully done by all.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Reasons To Go On ( Spirit Level) - 08/26/21 09:29 PM
Tunemonger, Will and Peter thanks for checking out the tune. We appreciate your comments. Glad you liked it
© PG Music Forums