PG Music Home
https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/shades-of-fire

A snarly little yapper with not a whole lot to say but enough attitude to make up for it. Hey!

I was thinking this was too short (under 2 minutes), then I thought it sounded like it might make a dandy cable TV show theme, so I added the Mountain-inspired subtitle and am at peace with my duration.

Technical:

Style is _HROCKLA.STY
RealTracks in style: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 999:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLAFuzzyA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 996:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispA-B Ev 120
Soloist: ~~383: Guitar, Slide, Soloist Blues Sw 120

I used Logic’s flex pitch on the recorded guitar solo to create two MIDI saxes. MIDI exported from BIAB became brass (with Logic’s Arpeggiator) and organ. I added the violin parts and “vocals” (clips extracted from Laurie Anderson’s 1995 “Puppet Motel” DVD.) Drums are Logic’s Drummer playing an orchestral kit.
Mark...it's sure got the vibe of a theme for a detective drama...something noir and gritty set in the 40's...interesting...Dan
Ha – glad you aren't here to extinguish me! Thanks for the comment, Firesong / Dan. That's what I was hoping it sounded like.
Some really good ideas and an amazing amount of in and out tech flexing but the mix is still a little raw.
Ah, the power of suggestion. Right from the beginning I was imagining the opening theme for a crime drama complete with exploding cars and pretty people. I saw the gumshoe and his incompetent secretary chasing the gangsta and his moll. Shades Of Fire could be the name of the show with the star wearing sunglasses reflecting the exploding car. Ok, Mark, ready for the pilot.
Rayc – "mix is still a little raw" – Can you say how? The only problems I can hear are some low spots in the drums and the goofy vocals being too loud. Thanks...
You do noir better than me, Marty. All I see are black screens and white titles. I'd actually like to lay this track over the intro to "True Detective" season 1, just for fun, that's the kind of thing that comes to mind.
"...and the award for the most original musical composition and arrangement goes to (cue thunderous timpani roll)...Mark Hayes!!!" (raucous applause, hoots and hollers of approval, chorus of spirited whistles)

BOOM-bop-a-BOOM-bop-a-BOOM! Really, dude, your track is a celebration of how sheer imagination can create something that takes you to another realm of musical invention.

"A snarly little yapper with not a whole lot to say but enough attitude to make up for it. Hey!" Agreed!

It's got the soul of a missionary band, the bump-and-grind of a strip club dancer's routine, and the mock-sinister feel of the soundtrack for a campy horror film.

I salute your exuberant, fearless, no-holds-barred approach to making music!
Wow. I am not worthy, Bluage! Thank you very much.
Originally Posted By: bluage

It's got the soul of a missionary band, the bump-and-grind of a strip club dancer's routine, and the mock-sinister feel of the soundtrack for a campy horror film.

That just about sums it up. Well said... probably the best thing I've seen on the internet in a while.
This space intentionally left blank.

© PG Music Forums