PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/07/21 11:04 PM
Here is a new song collaboration by Ray and myself.

Half Life of Truth - Soundcloud

Half Life of Truth - Video

The Half Life of Truth

You weren't really here
Just something I hoped

Paranoia's gaining, fast, so, so fast.

The half life of truth.
A chain reaction of lies,
Broken promises compound
Right before your eyes.

Whispers become louder over time

No lunatic upon the grass
No faces pressed against the glass

And Slow decay
To lasts and lasts and lasts

The half life of truth.
Broken promises compound
Right before your eyes.

Talk becomes louder over time.

Paranoia's gaining, fast, so, so fast.

The half life of truth.
Broken promises compound
Right before your eyes.

Screams become louder over time.

The Band

Lyrics and Vocal Ray Cochrane
Lead and Slide Guitar Scott Collingwood (little help from my Whammy Pedal)
Bass and Rhythm Guitars Ray Cochrane.

These are the original BIAB files used to create the song

****** Song Summary *************
Title: floyd esque
File:floydesqueV2.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=5:06
No intro. 33 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 33. Repeat x3 choruses
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _MELTING.STY (Melting British Psych Pop Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 1592:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 3436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritPsycPopBalladArpHiPhaser Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1336:Flute, Soloist Bossa Ev 140
RealTracks in song: ~673:Organ, B3, Background Blues BB Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:RockNorthern^4-a:Snare, Loose HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/08/21 09:57 AM
Another wonderful collab, Scott & Ray. Some may say that the vocal should be louder, but for this song it seems to sit perfectly in the mix. It adds mystery. Man, those lyrics are excellent.
"The half life of truth.
Broken promises compound
Right before your eyes."
Hypnotic bass and soaring guitar. Very creative stuff.
I started with YT just to see the video, which was cool, but the sound is better on Soundcloud.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/08/21 10:07 AM
Very well done song. Video is exceptional. Sets a certain mood, hey?
wow. this is talent...absolutely lovely/stunning sound pictures and playing.
no wish to offend...but i hear this being used in a major film. very broad nice soundscapes.
great kudos to you. great production.
would have liked the lead vocs up a bit higher.

best
om
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/08/21 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Another wonderful collab, Scott & Ray. Some may say that the vocal should be louder, but for this song it seems to sit perfectly in the mix. It adds mystery. Man, those lyrics are excellent.
"The half life of truth.
Broken promises compound
Right before your eyes."
Hypnotic bass and soaring guitar. Very creative stuff.
I started with YT just to see the video, which was cool, but the sound is better on Soundcloud.

Thanks for checking out the song. I knew when Ray sent me the demo that we were going to have fun with this song. Rays vocal and lyric took the song to another level.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/08/21 01:35 PM
This really reminds me of PF song...thanks for producing it
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/08/21 02:41 PM
Oh my. The Floyd is powerful in this one, as it obviously was at the beginning. It's carried through in the lyrics, the delivery, the soloing, the mixing, even the visuals.

Fantastic message in the song. The contrast between the slow decay of truth and the rapid expansion of lies is both original and chilling. Great to see that detestable [*****] AJ make his demonic appearance.

A+, gentlemen. Out of the park.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/08/21 02:42 PM
Scott / Ray,

Great song, vocal and production.

Some really outstanding playing Scott - you have tremendous TONE!

Bob
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/08/21 03:02 PM
Scott & Ray
Trippy, hypnotic goodness! Cool lyrics. Nice playing. Of course the bass and the slide are the stars of the show. Slide was a great choice. Wonderful vocals, but waaay too low for my ears. Good effort on video. Excellent collab project! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/09/21 08:39 AM
Hi Scott and Ray,

A very good, hallucinatory song.
I felt the same as Marty; the vocals had to be more upfront, but after a while I changed that opinion. Keep it as it is! There is one downside on that: the lyrics can't be understood.

The leadguitar was very well played here, but so did the bassguitar. I have one question on that: you wrote you used a bassguitar from BiaB and Ray played one himself. Which part is Ray playing. to my ears he was it all the time!

I enjoyed all of it, even though it isn't a style I would do myself...

Hans
I really like the song! The vocals are a bit quiet, but I assume it's a style choice? Reminds me a little of David Lynch.
Posted By: rayc Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/09/21 06:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Scott and Ray,A very good, hallucinatory song.
I felt the same as Marty; the vocals had to be more upfront, but after a while I changed that opinion. Keep it as it is! There is one downside on that: the lyrics can't be understood.
The leadguitar was very well played here, but so did the bassguitar. I have one question on that: you wrote you used a bassguitar from BiaB and Ray played one himself. Which part is Ray playing. to my ears he was it all the time!
Hans

Thanks Hans,
the BIAB tracks mentioned are from the style. Most were replaced so that the only ones used in the song are organ and drums. The rest of the parts see Scott & myself playing.
Like many songs of this style the lyrics are something to be discovered after some attempts at guessing & interpretation.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/09/21 08:22 PM
You both should be very proud of this one. Although I would have liked the vocals to be a tad louder, I had a hard time hearing the lyrics, that didn't detract to much from the overall excellence in this song.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/09/21 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Very well done song. Video is exceptional. Sets a certain mood, hey?

Thanks Ed for checking out the song. Ray is a master with the video creation. So glad you liked the song
Posted By: Bawb Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/09/21 10:48 PM
Scott C,
Really cool song. Kind of like a Jim Morrison melded with Pink Floyd. Such excellent guitar work! Bravo!
Yeah! I really like this one, guys.

Love the bass! Very cool hypnotic riff that really draws you in, makes the song actually IMHO.

Scott is the king of the melodic guitar, always enjoy hearing him do his thing.

Just a great mood piece, enjoyed both the music and the video.

Well done, enjoyed.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/10/21 09:16 AM
Mystical, Hypnotical for sure nice eerie feel to it , as been said Vocals too low and I couldn't make out the majority of the lyrics at all !!.

My Hearing maybe !!.

Great guitar sound and playing !.

Enjoyed !!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/10/21 12:14 PM
Top notch work. Wonderfully played by all. Great lyrics. Video was well done too.
Very Pink Floydesque guys and it sounds great! I love the very "atmospheric" sound you've created! I also hear a little bit of Lennon (solo years) in this! Nice sound on your guitar Scott! It
fits the tune very well! Ray everything you've contributed here is super! I would like to hear the vocal a bit louder but that's my taste and may not be what you were going for! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/11/21 11:47 AM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
wow. this is talent...absolutely lovely/stunning sound pictures and playing.
no wish to offend...but i hear this being used in a major film. very broad nice soundscapes.
great kudos to you. great production.
would have liked the lead vocs up a bit higher.

best
om

Thank you for the awesome comments We really appreciate it. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
This really reminds me of PF song...thanks for producing it

Thanks for checking out the song. Rays chord structure and vocal made it easy to change Pink Floyd. Was allot of fun to try and emulate one of my guitar heros.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/11/21 01:01 PM
Very nice dream pop atmosphere, enjoyed the visual painting with effects and the interplay between the drums, Scott's guitar and Ray's bass. The chord structure and lyrics form another interesting paranoid layer.

Janne

Hey Guys,

This is very good. Yes, definitely Pink Floyd-ish, because it's not Floyd Jane.

smile

I think the vocals need to come up considerably at least for me.

Am I the only one to say that? I like them but they seem kind of buried.
Posted By: rayc Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/12/21 05:43 AM
Thanks folks,
The vocals are WAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY louder than they were.
They're where they'll stay though as this has been professionally mastered and I don't have the loose lolly to remix and have it done again, even if I were inclined.

There was a time when buried vocals were a thing and digging about on album covers, music magazines and such was reasonably normal.It could also be that knowing the words makes them a little clearer in my ears.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/12/21 09:14 PM
Ray & Scott

Nice bit of psychedelic rock. Pretty guitar and hypnotic bass.

Very nice buried vocal - I like it where it is.

Strong work.

Peter
Posted By: Sundance Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/12/21 09:48 PM
I like the pretty moody vibe of the song and the video - everything meshes together really well.
For me, the vocals overall have a really nice sound but they're so low. I understand it might be a style choice, but it's really hard to hear them and the lyrics. You guys have really got the psychedelic rock sound down.
Josie
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/13/21 01:30 AM
Scott and rayc:

Really moody out of gate—I like the haunting feel of the vocals sitting behind the music bed . . . though I do think they need to come up a bit. They sound really good; really well mixed—let them shine a bit more. Just one guy’s opinion. Slick lead, Scott. Love the mood of this—stellar stuff!

My best to the both of you,

Deej
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/14/21 01:00 AM
The song, and especially the guitar work, reminded me of Fleetwood Mac's Bob Welch era. Very nicely done!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/14/21 03:04 PM
Scott & Ray,

Good Music! A terrific sound. You both are in top form.

Bass is super. Scott's leads/fills are perfect. Cool vocals. Cool write.

The mix is solid.

Excellent.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/15/21 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Oh my. The Floyd is powerful in this one, as it obviously was at the beginning. It's carried through in the lyrics, the delivery, the soloing, the mixing, even the visuals.

Fantastic message in the song. The contrast between the slow decay of truth and the rapid expansion of lies is both original and chilling. Great to see that detestable [*****] AJ make his demonic appearance.

A+, gentlemen. Out of the park.

Thanks Tangmo for checking out the song. Your comments are appreciated. Ray did an awesome mix on this tune. Glad you liked it
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/15/21 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Scott / Ray,

Great song, vocal and production.

Some really outstanding playing Scott - you have tremendous TONE!

Bob

Thanks Bob Had allot of fun with this song. Glad you liked it
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/15/21 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scott & Ray
Trippy, hypnotic goodness! Cool lyrics. Nice playing. Of course the bass and the slide are the stars of the show. Slide was a great choice. Wonderful vocals, but waaay too low for my ears. Good effort on video. Excellent collab project! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha My laptsteel is a wild puppy to ride. So much fun with the Chord progression Ray created. Ray is a master with the video. Glad you liked it
Chain reaction, decay and half life ... great choices for a fine write and melody.

Scott’s guitar laid down the atmosphere really well for the production and the bass is mesmerizingly good.

Also, we enjoyed the way the vocals "seem" to become more prominent or to the forefront as the second verse nears the "whispers become louder over time" line. It's like the vocals are coming towards us thru the mist and then receding and then forward again. This is subtle and we might be perceiving something that is not actually in the mix but it felt that way. You can feel that paranoia on your tail.

All sounded excellent soundstage wise on our KRK's. Very ominous, dark and yet a really clean mix.

And the video...yeah man! Those effects were outstanding.

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/16/21 12:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Scott and Ray,

A very good, hallucinatory song.

Hans

Thanks for checking out the song. In the early 60's you had to spend good hard money to get to a hallucinatory state. Now all I have to do is stand up fast. Thanks for the positive comments. So glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Alexander Paul
I really like the song! The vocals are a bit quiet, but I assume it's a style choice? Reminds me a little of David Lynch.

Thanks for checking out the song. Glad you liked it
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/19/21 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You both should be very proud of this one. Although I would have liked the vocals to be a tad louder, I had a hard time hearing the lyrics, that didn't detract to much from the overall excellence in this song.

Thanks Mario for checking out the song and really appreciate the comments. Glad you liked it

Originally Posted By: Bawb
Scott C,
Really cool song. Kind of like a Jim Morrison melded with Pink Floyd. Such excellent guitar work! Bravo!

Thanks Bawb. Glad you liked the song. I am sure Ray will love the reference to Jim Morrison.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah! I really like this one, guys.

Love the bass! Very cool hypnotic riff that really draws you in, makes the song actually IMHO.

Scott is the king of the melodic guitar, always enjoy hearing him do his thing.

Just a great mood piece, enjoyed both the music and the video.

Well done, enjoyed.

Thanks Dave. I kind of got drawn into the riff as well. Thought maybe a bit to repetitive but with Rays vocals and the chord progressions it just felt right to stay in the vibe. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/22/21 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Mystical, Hypnotical for sure nice eerie feel to it , as been said Vocals too low and I couldn't make out the majority of the lyrics at all !!.

My Hearing maybe !!.

Great guitar sound and playing !.

Enjoyed !!

Thanks for checking out the song and really appreciate your comments. Glad you liked the song

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Top notch work. Wonderfully played by all. Great lyrics. Video was well done too.

Thanks for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very Pink Floydesque guys and it sounds great! I love the very "atmospheric" sound you've created! I also hear a little bit of Lennon (solo years) in this! Nice sound on your guitar Scott! It
fits the tune very well! Ray everything you've contributed here is super! I would like to hear the vocal a bit louder but that's my taste and may not be what you were going for! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey. Yes were going for a Pink Floyd vibe. Ray mixed the vocal to start lower and build throughout the song to give it a different texture. So glad you liked it.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/24/21 05:28 PM
Hi Scott and Ray,

Splendid composition. I really liked the lead guitar. The vocal may be a little low but that's a detail. It's a beautiful arrangement.Very pleasant psychedelic video. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/26/21 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice dream pop atmosphere, enjoyed the visual painting with effects and the interplay between the drums, Scott's guitar and Ray's bass. The chord structure and lyrics form another interesting paranoid layer.

Janne

Thanks for checking out the song appreciate your comments. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Guys,

This is very good. Yes, definitely Pink Floyd-ish, because it's not Floyd Jane.

smile

I think the vocals need to come up considerably at least for me.

Am I the only one to say that? I like them but they seem kind of buried.

Thanks David Glad you like the song.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray & Scott

Nice bit of psychedelic rock. Pretty guitar and hypnotic bass.

Very nice buried vocal - I like it where it is.

Strong work.

Peter

Thanks Peter Glad you liked it. Glad you like the mix as well. Ray did an awesome job with it.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
I like the pretty moody vibe of the song and the video - everything meshes together really well.
For me, the vocals overall have a really nice sound but they're so low. I understand it might be a style choice, but it's really hard to hear them and the lyrics. You guys have really got the psychedelic rock sound down.
Josie

Thanks Josie. So glad to hear from you. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/29/21 01:01 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
The song, and especially the guitar work, reminded me of Fleetwood Mac's Bob Welch era. Very nicely done!

Thanks TM for checking out the song. Really appreciate your comments. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott & Ray,

Good Music! A terrific sound. You both are in top form.

Bass is super. Scott's leads/fills are perfect. Cool vocals. Cool write.

The mix is solid.

Excellent.

fj

Thanks Floyd Was a fun song to play on. Thanks also for the comments on the mix. Ray did a great job of it

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Chain reaction, decay and half life ... great choices for a fine write and melody.

Scott’s guitar laid down the atmosphere really well for the production and the bass is mesmerizingly good.

Also, we enjoyed the way the vocals "seem" to become more prominent or to the forefront as the second verse nears the "whispers become louder over time" line. It's like the vocals are coming towards us thru the mist and then receding and then forward again. This is subtle and we might be perceiving something that is not actually in the mix but it felt that way. You can feel that paranoia on your tail.

All sounded excellent soundstage wise on our KRK's. Very ominous, dark and yet a really clean mix.

And the video...yeah man! Those effects were outstanding.

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud. Really appreciate your comments. Glad you liked it.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 08/29/21 01:10 PM
Ain't been around for a while, catching up on lots of good songs.

Love the guitar work on this and the washy vocals great quite a mood.

well done.

moto
Posted By: Scott C Re: Half Life of Truth - rayc and ScottC - 09/01/21 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Scott and Ray,

Splendid composition. I really liked the lead guitar. The vocal may be a little low but that's a detail. It's a beautiful arrangement.Very pleasant psychedelic video. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks Jani for checking out the song. So glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Ain't been around for a while, catching up on lots of good songs.

Love the guitar work on this and the washy vocals great quite a mood.

well done.

moto

Thanks Moto Good to hear from you. So glad you liked it
© PG Music Forums