PG Music Home
Posted By: NigelSpiers Midnight Special - 08/08/21 10:37 PM
Midnight Special

Hi Folks,

This is my version of "Midnight Special" - a song that is "Trad. Arr." meaning that we don't know who wrote it. The first printed reference to the song itself was in a 1923 and the lyrics were first recorded in print by Howard Odum in 1905. There have been many recordings of Midnight Special and the lyrics vary widely.
The song refers to the passenger train Midnight Special and its "ever-loving light".

Vocals & BV's - Nigel Spiers
Backing Instruments from Band In A Box by PGMusic.
Mixed & Mastered by Nigel Spiers

Style - User Style
Bass - 539
Guitar - 2676
Drums - NashvilleSwing8
Resonator - 609
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Midnight Special - 08/09/21 05:56 AM
Hi Nigel,

I only know this song from CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival) and I was very fond of it!
I also read it was 'born' in the times of slavery and sang in the cottonfields (like the song: Cottonfields back home, also later performed by CCR). But I'm not sure.

Your performance sounds a lot like the CCR-version. It is very good.
There is one minor thing I would like to hear more: To sing it with more 'power' and as if it was your train.
You have a very good voice, so you wouldn't have a problem doing something like this. But, as always, it is a matter of taste.

Have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: Midnight Special - 08/09/21 05:26 PM
Great job! I only know the CCR version as well. I do see the similarities, but think there's enough to differentiate your version from theirs.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midnight Special - 08/09/21 08:25 PM
I have heard many a versions of this song and yours in one of the best. I loved your vocal and your arrangement of this classic.

This is a winner.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Midnight Special - 08/09/21 08:40 PM
Hi Nigel,

That is a pretty good version of the song. Well done!

Will
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Special - 08/10/21 06:00 AM
Hi Nigel,

I've heard this song done in many different ways over the years, and yours stands up with the best of them.

Nice arrangement, good vocal and mix.

Enjoyed!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Midnight Special - 08/10/21 12:22 PM
Nigel,

This is truly outstanding... Love the arrangement and your vocal. Mix is pro all the way.

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Midnight Special - 08/10/21 02:06 PM
Cool version. I really like this. I've liked this song ever since I heard Fogerty and the boys sing it.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Midnight Special - 08/10/21 03:16 PM
Nigel, I grew up on the CCR version but there's nothing wrong with this one! Love that resonator, it really gives the song the needed vibe! Nice vocal (and BGV). Great job putting the band together! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Bawb Re: Midnight Special - 08/10/21 05:38 PM
Yeah, just when you think you know a lot about music, someone always comes along and proves you don't know everything. All this time, I thought this was a CCR song too! I always enjoyed that song, but I enjoyed your cover of it too. It almost reminded me of watching an old episode of HeeHaw. This version would have been right at home. Thanks for posting!
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/10/21 08:17 PM
Hi Hans,

Yes - this must be one of the most widely recorded songs ever - here is a clip from Wikipedia re artists who have covered it:

Lead Belly, Big Bill Broonzy, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Odetta, Les Paul, The Kingston Trio (who also recorded their song "The Tijuana Jail", which retains the same music but with new lyrics),[14] Pete Seeger, Peter, Paul and Mary, Burl Ives, Big Joe Turner, Bobby Darin, Cisco Houston, Jimmy Smith, Mungo Jerry, Van Morrison, Little Richard, Buckwheat Zydeco, Otis Rush, The Spencer Davis Group, Lonnie Donegan, Eric Clapton, The Louvin Brothers, Long John Baldry, The Kentucky Headhunters, Willie Watson, Mischief Brew, Hoyt Axton and Creedence Clearwater Revival, among others, have recorded the song. Jody Miller arranged her own version and included it on her first album Wednesday's Child is Full of Woe in 1963.

Harry Belafonte's 1962 version is notable for containing the first official recording of Bob Dylan, who played harmonica.[15]

Harry Dean Stanton performs the song in the 1967 movie Cool Hand Luke.[16]

Creedence Clearwater Revival‘s 1969 version was used in the opening sequence of Twilight Zone: The Movie, in a scene featuring Albert Brooks and Dan Aykroyd enthusiastically singing along.

ABBA recorded the song in 1975 for charity, as a part of a folk medley, along with "Pick a Bale of Cotton" and "On Top of Old Smokey". It was the B-side to their 1978 single "Summer Night City". The medley represents the group's only recording of material not written by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus after their breakthrough with "Ring Ring" in 1973.[17]

Dylan references a line from the song — "Shine your light on me" — on the second track, "Precious Angel", of his 1979 gospel album Slow Train Coming.[18]

Paul McCartney has performed it numerous times. It was the closing song on his 1988 album Снова в СССР and was performed on his 1991 appearance on MTV Unplugged, but was not included on the accompanying album.

Mischief Brew recorded a cover of "The Midnight Special" for their 2006 album, Songs From Under the Sink.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Midnight Special - 08/10/21 09:30 PM
Hi Nigel, can't say I'm familiar with the song but I like what you've done here. Simple arrangement and great vocals

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/11/21 09:54 PM
Hi Mario,

Thanks for your generous comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Midnight Special - 08/11/21 10:02 PM
Nigel,
Nice take on oldie! Excellent vocals (and BGVs) clear mix. Seems like that PG resonator was made for it smile
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Midnight Special - 08/12/21 11:16 AM
i really like what you did with the vocs, and the arrangement of the vocals.
i like character vocs like this.
well done.
just an idea...i hear a subtle piano in parts of the song.
choruses maybe ?
om
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Midnight Special - 08/12/21 11:20 AM
Nice, Nigel. When you started it I was instantly reminded of Huddy Ledbetter, and I love the way you developed it into an outstanding version.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Midnight Special - 08/12/21 07:45 PM
Nice laid back version - liked your vocal and the arrangement.

peter
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Midnight Special - 08/13/21 01:29 AM
Nigel,

I had no idea that this song was this old . . . I’m familiar with the CCR version, but, boy, a 100 year old song? Wow. I think you do a tremendous job on this version. Your vocal is distinct and warm, the production crisp and clear. Tune really resonates. Nice choices on the mix—like going with just that drum and bass at around 1:40 in the second chorus. Daring choice that works really well. Impressive interpretation!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/13/21 11:01 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/14/21 04:52 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Midnight Special - 08/14/21 02:01 PM
Nigel,

Excellent.

Great use of BIAB. Terrific mix.

Good vocal and BGVs. Tasty licks from the dobro. Bass is nice and punchy.

Really enjoyed the listen. Very well done.

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: Midnight Special - 08/14/21 07:02 PM
Midnight Special as sung by Antoine Domino Jr.
This version has that almost talk/acting vocal style that Fats often employed with different degrees of success.
It can make the song seem more personal and connected to the listener.
I like the almost country blues of this one.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/16/21 02:24 AM
Hi Herb,

Thanks for your comments - yes CCR did a great version but there are a heap of other great versions on Youtube also.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Midnight Special - 08/16/21 08:42 AM
Wow Nigel, you did some research on that song!
I only think you forgot to mention one other musician; Nigel Spiers...

Who can't love this song?

Hans
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/17/21 12:55 AM
Hi Deej,

Thanks for all your insights and thoughts - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Midnight Special - 08/17/21 10:18 AM
Surprisingly not mentioned is the first version I heard by Johnny Rivers in 1964 when I was in high school. As I recall it was a major hit.

Nice mellow interpretation.

J&B
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/18/21 03:47 PM
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for all your kind comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Derochette Re: Midnight Special - 08/18/21 04:19 PM
Hi NigelSpiers,

I didn't know this song but your version is excellent. The arrangement and the vocals well done. It's pleasant. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Midnight Special - 08/19/21 02:03 AM
Nice version, Nigel. Well done.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/19/21 02:17 AM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Yeah he did a version but not my favourite. The one that really grabs me is (of all people) Bobby Darin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g8KJdF8kWU

For pure showmanship and feel this is my #1

Have a listen.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/19/21 09:33 PM
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments - yes just listened to Fats Domino version.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/20/21 10:25 PM
Hi Derochette,

Thanks for your kind comments - much appreciated.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Midnight Special - 08/22/21 08:19 PM
Hi Leon,

Thanks for your comments.

Best Regards
Nigel
© PG Music Forums