PG Music Home
Posted By: rsdean Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/09/21 08:05 PM
Hi All,

I thought it would be fun from time to time to post some “lost tracks & outtakes”. These are projects that just never made it to a complete song, became something else, or were abandoned - most are 1 take and roughly mixed.

I think it also demonstrates the power of BIAB as a songwriting, demo & idea tool. Like many of you - I have a large musical scrap heap… LOL!

This is an unreleased piece from 2018 and is called Like A Girl.

I’m running away from this lonely day
You have the strength to paint the gray
I’m hiding on the flat side of the world
But you rise up and fight like a girl

I’m flying far from the sun today
You have my word that I will stay
I was telling my best friend Earl
She can punch hard and fight like a girl

I’m choosing my words as they say
You have the means to blow them away
I’m a paper tiger caught in a whirl
But you can stand and fight like a girl

BIAB Tracks:
2474: Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
2914: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085

Thanks and would love to hear your “lost tracks”. smile

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/09/21 08:13 PM
Bob, there is very little wrong with this one. It is a little redundant at the ending but other then that all is good IMHO.

Sometimes all you need is a guitar and a good vocal to make a great song and this song has both.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/10/21 11:30 AM
I remember a song you did with the same theme...maybe even the same tagline. Maybe this little sketch donated its organs for that more fleshed out one. Great sentiment, and a really fine stripped down and intimate song. Love song? Yeah, I think so.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/10/21 11:32 AM
Mario,

Thanks - appreciate the listen.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/10/21 11:33 AM
Tangmo,

Thanks. Yes - this song eventually became a song called "Fight Like A Girl". This sketch provided some initial ideas.

https://soundcloud.com/user-157357144/fight-like-a-girl

Bob
Hi Bob,

I agree with Mario - this works very well just as it is.

Good to hear a simple acoustic performance for a change on this forum.

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards
Nigel
" I have a large musical scrap heap… LOL!

Bob, I wish I had the luxury of having that scrap heap!!! Man I use every last "scrap" I have to piece together what I post!

Super job on this...it sounds great! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/10/21 04:28 PM
Hello Bob,

It is nice to post 'half songs' on the forum. When I read it, I thought it is a good idea to do this.
Maybe some other BiaB musicians can finish the job or help bringing a song (back) to life.
And then I mused about all those songs and 'half songs'or ideas in my digital bookcase...

But lets keep it to your trial, because I have a question: Why did you choose this particular song to bring to our attention here? do you want to finish it or is it now also in on of your excisting songs? I don't remember hearing this piece in any of your other songs. only that 'girl'part ;-)

I liked the guitarplay in it, although a bit too much bass. But very nice playing! and I was expecting a chorus, but that didn't happen.
Make a chorus, tame the bassy sound and there you go, a new song! It is good enough for that with those nice lyrics!

Hans
Posted By: Bawb Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/10/21 05:15 PM
Hi Bob,

This song kind of caught me off guard. I was expecting a rowdy honky-tonk sounding tune. But the way you've sung it and played it gave me a totally different impression of what the song was about. Very good vocal and musical arrangement. I enjoyed the listen!
Bob,

I really like this "demo." Do whatever you think you need to do to polish it to your standards. Excellent lyrics and I very much like the melody.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/11/21 12:04 PM
Loved this song Bob. The acoustic was excellent. Beautiful song and vocal..

Hey Bob,

I like this! But I have heard this before. I definitely remember the lines "fight like a girl." Like 4 years ago maybe?

Are you SURE you didn't release this song already? Or another version??

smile
Bob,

"I’m hiding on the flat side of the world"

A gem.

"...scrap heap" ??? Amazing.

Thumbs up! Keep 'em coming!!!

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:42 AM
Nigel,

Thanks very much.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:43 AM
Torrey,

Thanks - much appreciated.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:44 AM
Hans,

Thanks. I chose this song for no particular reason - was just going through some older stuff.

This song eventually become this: https://soundcloud.com/user-157357144/fight-like-a-girl

Appreciate the kind words.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:45 AM
Bawb,

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:45 AM
Scott,

That's very kind - thanks.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:46 AM
Scott,

Thanks so much.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:46 AM
David,

Thanks. This "sketch" eventually turned into this one: https://soundcloud.com/user-157357144/fight-like-a-girl

Appreciate the listen and kind words.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 10:47 AM
Floyd,

You are too kind - thank you.

Bob
I really liked this one, it kinda caught me off guard, but it's different, and I love the acoustic guitar!!
Bob !! .listening to your latest, not your best mix , a bit harsh on the listener,

A great song and vocals , !!..BUT the mix ?.

I'm not going to say!,!better or worst !! , other than Keep your good sound that you have always posted here on the forum ?.

Too Many forum members think its a weekly thing or... ?.

To Me its quality not quantity !.

Just my Opinion !!. Thanks

Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 08:31 PM
beatmaster,

Yes, this was just to show some of the "backroom" stuff...

Thanks for the listen - much appreciated.

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 08:31 PM
Bob

Nice song sketch, enjoyed the song a lot.

Peter
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 08:31 PM
Ronnie,

Thanks very much.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/13/21 08:32 PM
Peter,

Thanks - appreciate you listening and commenting.

Bob
your welcome !
interesting lyrics/concept.
i like the intimate aspect.
just an idea; i think it would do a lot for the song if you doubled the vocs in some places eg "come on baby fight like a girl".
i also hear violins in some parts of the song.
just some ideas.
happiness/best.
om
I also recall a song you posted with the line "fight like a girl," but hey, who cares? Any excuse to listen to a B Dean song is fine by me.
Bob,
I have heard this when you posted, but wanted to give another listen, because I was sure I have heard it before, but it was somehow different...
Now after reading your comments, I know I was not completely wrong smile
Excellent "origin" tune. Cool to see tune's developing stages. Good mix and listens very well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/15/21 10:48 AM
What a great idea, Bob. We all have 'em. You're right about BiaB being the best for practicing, experimenting, songwriting and collaborating. On the other hand, I don't have anything this good in the heap to share.

Really good lyrics. So many lines to quote, but this one kind of covers it:
"I’m choosing my words as they say
You have the means to blow them away"

Man, you're right, girls don't fight fair, but they might fight right. The only thing I'd change or add would be the title to "Fight Like A Girl." What else ya got in that bag, Bob.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/15/21 12:48 PM
This demo demonstrates well the development from the rough idea to the released work. Very good start with the lines "I’m running away from this lonely day/You have the strength to paint the gray". Nice play also with the girl rhymes which didn't end in the released song.

I have many unfinished ideas, must be more than 50 and some are older than 15 years, waiting for some final inspiration and/or time to finish them. BIAB is an excellent tool to store those ideas, come back to them after several years, try some other style and instruments, write down if some instruments work... and forget the song again for some years. But you gave me a good idea, a reason to showcase soon one lost track, an unfinished project.

Janne
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/16/21 06:10 AM
om,

Thanks very much.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/16/21 06:11 AM
TuneMonger,

Thank you. Yes, this song eventually became: https://soundcloud.com/user-157357144/fight-like-a-girl

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/16/21 06:12 AM
Misha,

Much appreciated.

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/16/21 06:13 AM
Marty,

Thanks very much. This song eventually became: https://soundcloud.com/user-157357144/fight-like-a-girl

Bob
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost Tracks & Outtakes - "Like A Girl" - 08/16/21 06:13 AM
Janne,

Thanks - would love to hear your track.

Bob
© PG Music Forums