PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Playing Sitar - 08/14/21 08:46 PM
Hi Folks.
Not me again! Here is my new tune deposited to the PGmusic vault. Just having fun. It was an interesting project to work on phrasing. Unfortunately my accent stands in a way of lyric clarity. (That is why Hiogi fans sound like coyote pants) Working on it smile Critical comments are always (!) welcomed. Thank you for giving his time.

Playing Sitar

He  walked out when it was raining, he came back when the sun was shining high in the sky.
Memories fading, no tears left to cry,  but he can:
hear the mice running around, feeling the snowflakes fall to the ground, talking to the stray dogs, jumping in the wood clogs,
laughing at the funerals,  grieving at the weddings.
Flying on the rug. Catching shadows with bare hands dancing with  Hiogi fans playing sitar.

She came when the show was over and the whole town was drunk,
even bees could not find the clover,  only the atheist argued with monk.
She was deaf to the words flying like arrows, she put on her paper sombrero.
Walking on the tall hills made of Damascus steel. Laughing at the sunset crying at fiesta.
Flying on a rug. Catching shadows with bare hands dancing with Hiogi fans playing sitar.

They met when the bullets were flying,
Earth was rattling like drums.
While  everybody was hiding, they stood upon miserable slums.
Hearing the music of electric wires, swaying tongues of a hungry fire,
whispers of the embers, prayers of pretenders,
laughing at eternity, crying over spilled milk. Flying on the rug. They were playing sitar.

Tech stuff:
BIAB:
3556:Bass, Electric, DancehallClassicAB Ev16 090
1155:Organ, B3, Rhythm Reggae Ev16 100
1154:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Reggae Ev16 100
3377:Mandolin, BackgroundSoloist OldTimeBonfireAndy Ev16 110
2622:Organ, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
 2669:Pedal Steel, Background CountryRockBoogie Sw 110
RealDrums  Classic w Ribbon Crasher 
--

Synths of Kontakt, recorded in Cakewalk. I played small parts on melodica. lyrics, vocals, arrangement - me
Posted By: rayc Re: Playing Sitar - 08/15/21 12:29 AM
Misha,
you teased me...I was waiting for a sitar to appear in the mix.
Once I was passed the lack of that I was pulled into the song and story.
Hiogi? I looked it up and it seems to have a variety of connections and meanings and I, initially, though it was fans of Hiogi then twigged that fans of fans is the plan.
I thought your pronunciations was great and I heard those two words as written.
The two vocal extremes at the end were fun...you do the craggy, deep voice really well.
That was fun and I learnt a thing or two in the process.
No nits, no picking - loved it.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Playing Sitar - 08/15/21 04:37 AM
Misha

Another example of your incredible creativity.

Wonderful work - thoroughly engaging.

Excellent all round (could have done with a sitar solo..... smile )

Peter
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Playing Sitar - 08/15/21 05:50 AM
This is organized chaos and I love it.
Good fun.
Rob4580
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Playing Sitar - 08/15/21 10:31 AM
That's so much fun, Misha. Really outstanding in many ways. As far as I can hear, your diction is superb --maybe even too good for many genres. Right from the first downbeat I was enthralled by the reggae feel that sounded more Eastern, Then, by the time you sing "...wedding," I became entranced by all the cool stuff you add, especially with your voice. A really fun listen.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Playing Sitar - 08/15/21 07:43 PM
Ray,
Thank you for listening and your feedback! I am waiting for Sitar too smile I tried do keyboard play some sitar sections, but came out too weak. I will have to revisit R. Shankar. Hiogi fan- Japanese wooden fan. Was thinking of Kabuki motif.
--
Peter,
Thank you for kind words! Yes, excellent idea on solo! Some sitar music I have heard deals with a "conversation" of one instrument to another (example: tabla-sitar-tabla), B3 is kind of dense, it might be tricky to inject something that will work, but I will give it a shot.

---

Rob,
Thank you for listening and your positive feedback here and on SC.

---

Marty,
Thank you for giving this time, your support and kind feedback!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Playing Sitar - 08/16/21 08:28 AM
Misha,

This song has such drive and power.

Outstanding vocal and overall production.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Playing Sitar - 08/16/21 09:06 AM
Hello Misha,

I had the same expectation as Ray wrote. I thought a sitar would steal the show, but as Rob described it, it was organised chaos, but beautifully performed!
I also looked up what Hiogi fans are. Now I know it is a very old Japanese fan meant for special occasions. It goed back to the 14th century, I read. So how on earth can you come up with this? I am pleasantly amazed!

The lyrics are very well written and constructed. Love it. But I had to read them several times to understand what bursted out of your mouth. And your way of singing is -for me- always very pleasant to listen to.

On my earphones the bass / drums were a little too loud, so that sitar was a bit covered.
But the exotic sphere was so nice to listen to.
Very well done!

Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Playing Sitar - 08/16/21 11:30 AM
Misha,

You are an artist.

Simple as that.

"Catching shadows with bare hands dancing with Hiogi fans playing sitar."

Your lyrics are original, exotic, colorful!!

Your productions are filled with big splashes of color and subtle shading. Extraordinary.

The mix on this is excellent.

MUSIC. Beautiful. Marvelous.

fj
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Playing Sitar - 08/16/21 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Unfortunately my accent stands in a way...

Quite the contraire my friend. You accent only adds highlight to the well produced tune(s), including this one. I thought it was going to be a chaotic mess at first only to find that that very chaos was the foundation to the tune. The lyrics (and accented vocals) fit the music perfectly. Nice one.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Playing Sitar - 08/16/21 09:51 PM
Hi Misha,

You have so many good ideas... and this track/song showcases some of them.

Very well done, my talented friend!

Will
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Playing Sitar - 08/17/21 10:03 AM
Bob,
Thank you for giving this time and your support!

--

Hans,
Thank you for listening and your generous feedback! I thought of adding "Kabuki dance" in the line, but "Hiogi fans" was a better fit and inline with idea. Thank you for noting drums and bass! I am in the process of adding Sitar, possibly with a collaborator, so will pay attention to drums/bass when re-mixing.

--

FJ,
that is way generous feedback. Thank you for your support!

--
jptjptjpt,
Thank you for listening and your kind words!

--

Will,
Thank you for giving this time and your kind comments!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Playing Sitar - 08/17/21 10:21 AM
Cool tune.... Your accent adds an interesting flavor to the tune.... With as interesting and creative as the lyrics are.... coyote pants fits right in.

Good one.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Playing Sitar - 08/17/21 07:29 PM
Misha,

This is a super production in all aspects! What a cool tune!

I love the diverse selection of instrumentation used! You've brought all together in cohesive package!

You are a talented contributor here and I appreciate your work! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: jannesan Re: Playing Sitar - 08/18/21 01:46 PM
What a nice flight on the rug around the world, different places in the story and horn of plenty in musical styles and chord progression.
Enjoyable reggae/ska rhythm, many nice effects
Good vocals with nice nuances and scatting
Good selection of instruments, everything works
Another excellent song from a multi-talented songwriter smile

Janne
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Playing Sitar - 08/18/21 06:22 PM
Wow Misha! Don't beat yourself on the accent issue, I have one myself, some days worst than others and I don't sweat it. This is a heck of example of ways to be creative using BIB sounds. Very interesting mix indeed. Worked perfectly!

Mike B.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Playing Sitar - 08/18/21 09:30 PM
Hi Misha great song loved it you have great talent and very creative lots of nuggets in this thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Playing Sitar - 08/19/21 02:30 AM
As often as you like, Misha. Always a pleasure to listen to your songs. This is another wonderful flight of fancy.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Playing Sitar - 08/20/21 05:02 PM
As Janice was navigating a pretended flight with her arms she said, "thank you for the magic carpet ride."

No need to parse out a few favorite lines as it's packed full of great ones. Simply stunning imagery.

We have no idea whether you use styles or roll your own but you invariably have a great band to showcase your add-in's and BiaB. And a great mix to go with it all.

Your accent has always added nothing but character to your vocals ... no coyote pants smile

Creative and entertaining to the max!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Playing Sitar - 08/20/21 09:27 PM
Misha, you are a very clever musician. Mixing a sitar in a raga groove while holding a Japanese fan while expertly singing some very intriguing lyrics is brilliant.

Loved it
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Playing Sitar - 08/21/21 01:12 PM
Herb,
Thank you for listening and your feedback!
--
Torrey,
Thank you for giving this time and your kind words! "cohesive package" LOL
--
Janne,
Thank you for listening and your kind comments here and on SC!
--
Mike,
Thank you for your support!
--
Eric,
Thank you for listening and a nice feedback!
--
Leon,
Thank you for kind words!
--
J&B,
Thnak you for giving this time and for your supportive comments here and on SC.
I should make a separate tune about Coyote pants smile
--
Mario,
Thank you for listening and your feedback! I had a very basic sitar at the start, but found a live musician who recorded licks for me on real sitar.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Playing Sitar - 08/22/21 04:07 PM
Hi Rustyspoon,

In your last compositions, I found a change both in the choice of chords and in the rhythm. I really find a change of harmony that really pleases. You have also changed your way of mixing. But good. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Scott C Re: Playing Sitar - 08/22/21 10:14 PM
Very cool intro. Loved the effects. Jumped into a very cool groove. So original and well done. Boy the backtrack is so solid. Super vocal and lyric. Well done...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Playing Sitar - 08/23/21 09:05 PM
Hi Misha,

What a journey!!!!

This is brilliant stuff!!!! I love, love, love your inventiveness and your creativity. Your music always takes me places that I never knew existed.

This is outstanding listening and first-class musical entertainment.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Playing Sitar - 08/25/21 12:50 PM
Derochette,
Thank you for listening and your support!
---
Scott,
Thank you for giving this time and your feedback here and on SC!
---

Noel,
Thank you for extra warm comments, your support and feedback on SC!
© PG Music Forums