PG Music Home
Posted By: Skoon66 My new BIAB song! - 08/20/21 05:54 PM
From my Stillness of the night Album on streaming platforms Aug 27th
Available now on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/b_r_addean/make_it_alright
Posted By: MarioD Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/20/21 09:16 PM
A killer of song. Great groove. Your vocal is spot on for this song.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Skoon66 Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/20/21 10:02 PM
Thank you so much!! I can't imagine my life without BIAB.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/20/21 10:12 PM
Hi,

This is a good rocker.

Excellent guitar playing and interesting panning of the vocal harmonies hard left and right.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/20/21 10:45 PM
Skoon66, nice loud rocking tune! Got a good groove from those tracks! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/20/21 10:55 PM
Right from the get-go this song has a heavy punch to it! Great sound. If you ever feel like sharing what aspects were made in Band-in-a-Box specifically or your particular process, we'd love to hear it!

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Skoon66 Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 03:11 AM
Thank you! except the Vocals everything is BIAB, a few edits and vst's in mixcraft. In fact all my songs are original and all done with BIAB. I love this software! Finally I have been able to put my music to as close to my vision as I have always wanted. I know nothing compares to an actual band in the studio, but this is pretty darn close.

Bass-1418 Texas rock
piano-1264 pop shining
drums-rock Texas
guitar-657 Texas rock chop
guitar-660 Texas rock crisp
solo-1530 pop power
Posted By: rayc Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 06:19 AM
Hello again,
I note you've not, as yet, commented on anyone's work other than your own. It's good form to listen and comment.
Further, there're the forum "rules" to consider as so politely referred to the staff member above, (they are gentle souls who subtly nudge and lead where as I'm a little blunt):

"The User Showcase is an area where users of PG Music products (e.g. Band-in-a-Box or RealBand) can post links to their original song compositions, for others to listen to.

The songs must be originals, no copyrighted or "cover" songs. You must have all of the rights to the songs.
Start a new thread with each new song post - don't add new songs to an existing thread. The exception to this is if you are posting a lot of songs in a short period of time (compared to others), please post them in a single thread.

With the posts, please provide:

Link to the song (it is not hosted on our site, it is hosted on your site).
Title and background information about the song.
Indicate which tracks were recorded by you, and which tracks were generated by Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.
If Band-in-a-Box or RealBand have been used, please provide information as to which styles or RealTracks were used. (tip: In Band-in-a-Box, the Song Memo contains the names of the RealTracks used, and you can copy/paste from that.)
List other programs used in the production (Sonar, Cubase etc.)
Describe what effects were used in the production (reverb, auto-tune etc).
Please limit the threads on this forum to the User Showcase postings. Off-topic threads will be moved to the off-topic forum."
Posted By: beatmaster Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 06:41 AM
excellent rocking sound !!.

Ray I think the staff member above was nudging for the instruments used in the song from Biab ?.

Not all the stuff you mentioned above !!.

This only deters folk from joining the forum ,as a lot do read through the forum for a bit before joining .

I know I did, encouraging new folk keeps a more open ended forum !.

Posted By: rayc Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 07:24 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
excellent rocking sound !!.
Ray I think the staff member above was nudging for the instruments used in the song from Biab ?.
Not all the stuff you mentioned above !!.
This only deters folk from joining the forum ,as a lot do read through the forum for a bit before joining .
I know I did, encouraging new folk keeps a more open ended forum !.

yes n no Beat,
this gent is doing well with BIAB and has posted three songs and an album in the Showcase so the encourage newbie thing seems unnecessary as he's keen and active BUT we've had some new folk post three songs in less than a week, (pushing others off page one with barely a listen/comment on their stuff), with no commentary elsewhere and there've also been quite a few Fly Byes.
I encourage & welcome, then I wait and if there's no "upping" of the game I make polite mention.
The gentle staff member, in nudging for the instruments/style/BIAB list is nudging towards participating more fully - consciously of otherwise.
I'm not chasing [*****] for tat or back scratch reciprocation.
This bit doesn't really make sense mate:
"This only deters folk from joining the forum ,as a lot do read through the forum for a bit before joining .
I know I did, encouraging new folk keeps a more open ended forum !."
Read it and you may agree.

Yes, I hovered about for a while, listened, enjoyed, commented and posted. I was also aware of the "put up or shut up" that was needed to validate my comments. I QUICKLY learnt, the hard way, that many established denizens of the forum, and some newer ones, do not want anything but back pat comments whilst others prefer constructive crits along with a thumbs up. We all learn by taking part, getting feedback and direction.

Skoon66, sorry to hijack your thread...Beat and I often disagree, respectfully. You do nice work. I reckon your ear, mixing skills and perspective could be helpful to me amongst others within the forum.
Carry on.
Posted By: Skoon66 Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 04:00 PM
First off, let me apologize, you are correct I don't post to others as I should, I'll try to do better, I usually comment on their SoundCloud page. and I thought I answered the staff member, I didn't really use a style as much as mix and match the instruments, I use an Amp simulator for Guitars, and vocals I use compressors, EQ, reverb and De-esser, my DAW is Mixcraft 9. and all songs that I do are original compositions, written and arranged by me. I will try to be more active with others going forward. Sorry for that.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 07:14 PM
No worries Ray, I knew you would struggle getting it .

Carry on !!
Posted By: rayc Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Skoon66
First off, let me apologize, you are correct I don't post to others as I should, I'll try to do better, I usually comment on their SoundCloud page. and I thought I answered the staff member, I didn't really use a style as much as mix and match the instruments, I use an Amp simulator for Guitars, and vocals I use compressors, EQ, reverb and De-esser, my DAW is Mixcraft 9. and all songs that I do are original compositions, written and arranged by me. I will try to be more active with others going forward. Sorry for that.

Skoon,
the mix'n'mtch between styles is almost always of interest to other users. Rustyspoon is a master at drawing seemingly disparate elements into a cogent whole.
Yep, you did answer Ember's Q's...the hows n whys are the interesting, instructive bits.
Amp sims...which ones, (unless it's secret sauce time)? there is a discussion in another part of the forums about managing them and getting a convincing sound...yours seem to have avoided the dreaded "fizz". For my part I'm particularly interested in successful de-essing. I do mine manually and am always on the lookout for a plug or process that can match the manual results with automation.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/21/21 08:21 PM
Hey man,

This is really cool and a rock solid rocker. Congrats. It really cooks.

For other stuff you work on this year, let me suggest a few things I myself had to learn the hard way, and am still working on.

1. Vocals. They need more midrange, and the backing tracks sometimes obscure the main. Backing vox should have very few notes and skeletal frames. For the SOUND of the vocals, try stacking the same main track with different EQS on them until you find a sound that is you, very mid-range, and cuts through concrete. Most rock vocals stack the main vocal and use different effects on each track until the vocal will cut through anything, as I said.

2. Next, mix with the drums and bass as loud as they will ever get with the vocal sitting up so high you can hear every word clear as bell. Vocal on top. This is your reference for the chorus and the ceiling.

3. THEN slowly fade in everything else panned at about -15 or 15 with some as wide as 20, -20 until the sound is good, but BELOW the bass, drums and vocals.

This takes A LOT of experimentation.

Just a few thoughts, but man this really cooks and I enjoyed it.

Rock on.
Posted By: Skoon66 Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/22/21 12:21 AM
Thank you!!
Posted By: rayc Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/22/21 01:18 AM
Skoon,
I've had another listen so I can comment on the song as mixed.
It starts very suddenly and very loudly...you may want to give a slight warning like a single snare hit or something as many folk will be listening on headphones.
If you're using BIAB Realdrums it's hard to tweak but aiming for the snare, bass guitar and kick to each be about the same volume us useful the tweaks in RealDrums can be achieved with EQ or MBComp without too much effort.
Hardpanned bvox can seem disorienting in headphones...particularly when they're as loud as the main vocal...it becomes a war of psychoacoustics as to which holds attention. You'll probably have a preset for bground vox in your DAW native plugins that may help.
Guitars through ampinabox gear or sims often have a lot of FIZZ, the main guitars in this seem to.
The easy way out of that is to throw a low pass filter over each guitar and adjust to taste BUT a more effective way is to use a cabinet impulse it will do what a good speaker will do - roll off the right amount of fizz. Built in cab sims in pedals or sims don't often work as well as a cab impulse...I use them through the reverb plug in Reaper. Classic rock guitar, which sounds like this song, usually has a solid midrange, a tight (though some may say light) low end and a rolled off top end.
I liked your guitar in the previous track I listened to...more personal and with grunt.
I can't be sure about your vocal as the mix is full...the bvox sound "rounder" than the main vocal. It's a pretty simple matter to run and EQ across your main vocal to find the over hyped and weaker parts then do a little tweaking to balance those. Voxengo Span in Master setting gives a good visual of those things though any parametric EQ will give a decent picture of this.
Good song, it rocks along and, personally, I reckon it deserves you investing a little more time, and some guitar playing, in it.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/22/21 10:13 AM
Sounds good, Skoon66. Looking forward to hearing the whole album this Friday. Just started following you on Spotify.
Posted By: Scott C Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/22/21 10:07 PM
Very cool tune. I love rocking guitars. I am also one to experiment with styles. You never know what kind of tune you are going to end up with. Creativity has no limits. Look forward to hearing more of your tunes. It is a pretty good bunch here.
Posted By: Skoon66 Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/23/21 04:33 AM
Thank you BabuMusic!!
Posted By: Skoon66 Re: My new BIAB song! - 08/23/21 04:35 AM
Thank you Scott! BTW Love "Half life of truth". Nice vibe and great guitar.
© PG Music Forums