PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 12:25 AM
Stawberries & Bread Draft

Here's a quick edit that has made the spaghetti clearer and added, experimentally, some Ahhs.I also knocked some vocal out at 3300Hz as it seemed a bit strident.
Strawberries and Bread 9bc - ahhs.

One step further along the path. I've swapped some guitars...tweaked the spaghetti, reduced the compensatory EQ on the vocals and fiddle faddled about here 'n' there.
strawberries & bread-10

A quick track based on the very limited shopping list my wife & sister-in-law prepared a few nights ago.
I laughed at the list when I found it on the way to bed.
I wrote the lyric when in bed and constructed the song with BIAB the following day.
I've replaced the BIAB guitars and bass etc. but retained the drums.

The Style is Weekend Warrior.
I used a Guyatone LT125 for guitar parts...the meaty ones through a Marshall Superbass, the accent and "spaghetti solos" through a Joyo ACtone. The Spaghetti guitar was tracked with tremolo, Spring Reverb and a little EQ. One of the meaty tracks was with a slight boost from a Boss SD1, (no dirt).
Having acquired a new interface, (SSL2),part way through the process I did the vocals using it and the 4K button.
Vocals are double tracked rather than comped...this is because of my thin, reedy voice.

Short yet deliberately repetitive both lyrically and melodically.

For me it was a bit of fun...trying to learn the monitoring latency stuff for the new interface being a key reason for continuing to do it.

This is a simple mix, there's nothing on the stereo/master bus.

ANY/ALL comments, suggestions, critiques and communication is welcome.

STRAWBERRIES & BREAD
Strawberries and bread
Break my bones until I've bled
Strawberries and bread
Break their bones until they've bled
Strawberries and bread
Break your bones until you've bled
Strawberries and bread
Bloodless white congealed red.

You don't know what you're doing to me
Don't know what you're doing through me
Don't know what we're doing do we?
Don't know what we're doing.

Strawberries and bread
Take your pain to bed
Strawberries and bread
Trap it in your head
Strawberries and bread
Wake up when you're dead
Strawberries and bread

You don't know what it's doing for me
Don't know what it's doing to me
Don't know what we're doing do we?
Don't know what we're doing.

Strawberries and bread
You're Snow White and I'm Rose Dead
Strawberries and bread
Sliced white and plump fed
Strawberries and bread
Break our bones until we've bled
Strawberries and bread
Posted By: floyd jane Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 11:19 AM
ray,

For a "quick track" that sounds pretty dang good.

The tone of the opening guitar is very cool. Would have liked to hear more of that, but it disappears under everything else quickly. A good balance of "everything". Good job with guitars and bass.

I really like the doubled vocal. Sounds good!

This sounds like a "modern" version of the great AM bands of the late 60's, early 70's - Lemon Pipers, Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Buckinghams...

I like it (though I can't say I know what it is about smile - shopping and bleeding...)

fj
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 12:12 PM
Really does nail that proto-psychedelic 60s sound.

The lyric is perfect for that, too, following the Iron Butterfly / Moby Grape naming principle of Absurd Biological Concatenation. Take something organic and benign and bolt on something mechanical or menacing. In this case, a nice little sammidge and the grim scene of gelatinous mayhem it resembles. Take that, Strawberry Alarm Clock!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 12:42 PM
I aint been around lately, just catching up on some good songs.

Funny how we never know where the next inspiration will come from.

Fun.

moto
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 04:52 PM
Very nice Ray for just throwing this down quickly! I admit I don't understand the lyrics but I don't question that because your lyric writing is way beyond a lot of what is posted here! Nice job with your guitar and bass performances! I think your vocals were delivered very well also! I admit that I always want them louder in the mix but they may be where they need to be! Rock on! T
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,
For a "quick track" that sounds pretty dang good.
The tone of the opening guitar is very cool. Would have liked to hear more of that, but it disappears under everything else quickly. A good balance of "everything". Good job with guitars and bass.
I really like the doubled vocal. Sounds good!
This sounds like a "modern" version of the great AM bands of the late 60's, early 70's - Lemon Pipers, Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Buckinghams...
I like it (though I can't say I know what it is about smile - shopping and bleeding...)
fj

Thanks FJ,
The intro guitar, naturally an after thought, came about, like the solo, after trying various BIAB soloists... they all seemed to be stumped by the tempo and progression and simply walked the changes. i figured I could do that to and spaghetti western baritone would be the easy way. I'll work on the balance of that intro today...your thoughts on it are similar to mine but I wasn't sure. No I am.
That's a lovely bunch of bands to make comparison too. They were fun and cool.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Really does nail that proto-psychedelic 60s sound.
The lyric is perfect for that, too, following the Iron Butterfly / Moby Grape naming principle of Absurd Biological Concatenation. Take something organic and benign and bolt on something mechanical or menacing. In this case, a nice little sammidge and the grim scene of gelatinous mayhem it resembles. Take that, Strawberry Alarm Clock!

Thanks mark.
Goth/Emo/absurdist even?
You're very kind.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
I aint been around lately, just catching up on some good songs.

Funny how we never know where the next inspiration will come from.

Fun.

moto

Thanks Moto,
inspiration is like love.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/29/21 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very nice Ray for just throwing this down quickly! I admit I don't understand the lyrics but I don't question that because your lyric writing is way beyond a lot of what is posted here! Nice job with your guitar and bass performances! I think your vocals were delivered very well also! I admit that I always want them louder in the mix but they may be where they need to be! Rock on! T

Hello Torrey,
I thought the vocal was heroically loud in this one. Oh, well...The cringe factor usually wins with me.
Thanks for your very kind words.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/30/21 02:09 AM
Ray,
Cool tune, especially considering timeframe. Cool conception idea. Excellent work on vocals, doubling worked very well! Solid drive. What happened at 2:56? Guitar? Fun fx. In most of your songs, vocals are a bit "under". To my ears, this tune has them right where they need to be smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/30/21 02:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
Cool tune, especially considering timeframe. Cool conception idea. Excellent work on vocals, doubling worked very well! Solid drive. What happened at 2:56? Guitar? Fun fx. In most of your songs, vocals are a bit "under". To my ears, this tune has them right where they need to be smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha.
2.56 is a traditional pick scrape...not really the sound for spaghetti lead but it almost fits.
Yeah, I think the vocal are about at the right level THOUGH I did EQ them a little in the latest version (they were a bit strident at about 3300Hz so I expect folk'll tell me if I removed definition or that it caused level loss.
Posted By: Derochette Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/30/21 07:01 AM
Hi Rayc,

In this composition, I especially appreciated your work on the vocal which gives a very good result. The sequence of chords is very pleasant. I didn't understand your lyrics very well, but that's a detail. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/30/21 02:16 PM
I used an online "deep dream" generator to mutate a picture of strawberries and bread, hoping it would come up with berries with eyes and creepy stuff like that, but it looks more like cauliflower stained with beet juice.

Attached picture sab-before.jpg
Attached picture sab-after.jpg
Posted By: MarioD Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/30/21 08:47 PM
Loved it. It took me back to the late 60's. This could have been done by a number of groups from that era like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Count 5, etc. You squarely hit that vibe right on the head.

Outstanding song!
Posted By: rsdean Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:29 AM
Ray,

It sounds like rock n roll to me! Love the energy and vibe.

Bob
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 11:06 AM
Rayc.
re latest 10 version.
yes i hear that nice classic vibe...
just some ideas....
1. for me i would dial back the fx.
i DO LIKE that lone guitar that starts off the song.
but for me..too far back. try it dry with a hint or more of only pg dx echo chorus.
2. an old trick recording studios would employ re tracking vocals , was to firstly before tracking the vocs, to lay down a synth lead line or two that matched note for note what the vocallist would be singing.
thus it would give the vocallist a base reference in the vocal tracking phase.
3. i feel some high femme vocs in the chorus could really elevate the song.
best/every happiness
om
Posted By: Mark Rhodes Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 12:58 PM
This is fun.
The opening riff (and tone) reminded me of The Cramps, a fun band I listened to a lot years ago.

I don't get the lyric at all but I enjoy the sound and feel of the song.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 01:00 PM
Mark said, "proto-psychedelic 60s sound." Nailed.

That short interesting period before psychedelia became obsessed with itself.

The lead double tracking and harmony worked very well and sits nicely in
the mix.

Your performances wrapped a fine band around the RDs.

Enjoyed it and now it's time to look at Janice's grocery list and get, hopefully, slammed with some lyric inspiration!

J&B

Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Rayc,
In this composition, I especially appreciated your work on the vocal which gives a very good result. The sequence of chords is very pleasant. I didn't understand your lyrics very well, but that's a detail. Well done.
Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Jani,
Thanks.
The lyrics....strawberries & bread, red & white, blood & bone.
It could be a murder mystery, could be a blood cult or it could be the words Black Sabbath rejects that make mine just words.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I used an online "deep dream" generator to mutate a picture of strawberries and bread, hoping it would come up with berries with eyes and creepy stuff like that, but it looks more like cauliflower stained with beet juice.

Well, Mark, it does has a lovely psych colour blur to it.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Loved it. It took me back to the late 60's. This could have been done by a number of groups from that era like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Count 5, etc. You squarely hit that vibe right on the head.
Outstanding song!

Thanks Mario,
The Count 5 are another ab fab band.
The Sonics too.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Ray,
It sounds like rock n roll to me! Love the energy and vibe.
Bob

Thanks Bob,
as long as it's not in the Billy Joel sense.
Posted By: PeterF Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:07 PM
Ray

Fun song - I enjoyed reading all the comments - both yours and the reviews.

The mix was good - I like where the vocal sat, and while I could spend hours dissecting the lyrics I have to get online and order some groceries (good move to QLD by the way.....)

Quite catchy as well.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Rayc.
re latest 10 version.
yes i hear that nice classic vibe...
just some ideas....
1. for me i would dial back the fx.
i DO LIKE that lone guitar that starts off the song.
but for me..too far back. try it dry with a hint or more of only pg dx echo chorus.
2. an old trick recording studios would employ re tracking vocals , was to firstly before tracking the vocs, to lay down a synth lead line or two that matched note for note what the vocallist would be singing.
thus it would give the vocallist a base reference in the vocal tracking phase.
3. i feel some high femme vocs in the chorus could really elevate the song.
best/every happiness
om

Morning JAOM,
The Fx on that intro/solo/outro guitar - spring reverb, tremolo and some EQ. I'll suss out if there's any additional reverb added and reduce that. The spring & trem are key elements though.
The melody line to sing to is good...I use it when I have a predetermined melody.
I don't know if it's P.C. to get some femme high just to lay down a bvocal but I'll see what I can do. There is are some ahhs n oohs on the final chorus at present.
I did have them on all choruses but found they gave a needed lift for the final one - probably where a modulation or something else would've been useful.
I'll have a look at things later today with a view to attempting what you've suggested.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Rhodes
This is fun.
The opening riff (and tone) reminded me of The Cramps, a fun band I listened to a lot years ago.
I don't get the lyric at all but I enjoy the sound and feel of the song.

Morning Mark,
Ah, The Cramps...the defining psychobilly band of mic eating intensity. She was a fine twanger too.
The lyrics really aren't for "getting" but they are a little noir.
Thanks.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Mark said, "proto-psychedelic 60s sound." Nailed.
That short interesting period before psychedelia became obsessed with itself.
The lead double tracking and harmony worked very well and sits nicely in
the mix.
Your performances wrapped a fine band around the RDs.
Enjoyed it and now it's time to look at Janice's grocery list and get, hopefully, slammed with some lyric inspiration!
J&B

Thanks J&B,
proto-psych as sanity project. Could this be a new Pandemic DIY Mental health Program? It was for me.
There's something special about the absolute absurdism of that shopping list.
Thanks for your generous appraisal.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray
Fun song - I enjoyed reading all the comments - both yours and the reviews.
The mix was good - I like where the vocal sat, and while I could spend hours dissecting the lyrics I have to get online and order some groceries (good move to QLD by the way.....)
Quite catchy as well.
Peter

Thanks Peter,
the move was planned last year but the old pandemic slowed things a little. I think we are seen with a little contempt by Qlders as NSWelshmen pushing up house prices etc but also as a handy cash crop for tradies.

We're still doing the online grocery thing...the nearest big supermarket is 30 odd kms away and having the process in train means no sudden jumps when lockdowns happen.

Glad you liked the ditty.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 08/31/21 08:48 PM
Pretty good track!

It is not a style of music that I listen to a lot, so I'm not really qualified to say how good it is compared with other tracks in the genre, but I can hear that it is a well-produced song.

Thanks for sharing,
Will
Posted By: Deej56 Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 09/01/21 01:04 AM
rayc:

Yeah, I’m really digging the sound on this one. Great work on the vocals and harmonies. Not sure why this somewhat reminds me of an early R.E.M. song, but it does. Great work on this!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 09/01/21 02:58 AM
Best vocals I've heard from you! If that's due to doubling, stick with it. Good song, kept my reptile brain intrigued.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 09/01/21 05:55 AM
Hi Ray,

I listened to your latest mix.

Guitars sound great! Love the intro. I like your vocal too, it really works for this song and it's sitting in the mix right where it should be.

Nice!
Posted By: Scott C Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 09/01/21 01:54 PM
Cool tune Ray. Had a listen to it the other day when it popped up on Soundcloud. Loved the strat reverb. Got a Shadows vibe. Super vocal. Well done
Posted By: rayc Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 09/02/21 10:44 PM
Here's an update.
I tried all suggestions and applied some...
strawberries-bread-11b
Posted By: Birchwood Re: STRAWBERRIES & BREAD - 09/08/21 06:55 AM
Hi Ray,

I only listened to the most recent update of your song. But that must be the superior one, because you implemented all advices in that one. What struck me was that the vocals sound much clearer. That is very good. Is this because of the SSL2? Or the doubling of the vocal tracks? I double my vocal tracks for some time. But I differ them a tiny bit in the daw (after recording) on the eq and, of course, the volume. One track is the real lead Vocal. But as you know, I'm also learning.

I only missed the vocals of Missha's wife...

Hans
© PG Music Forums