PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/01/21 08:14 PM
Here is a new/old song. This song was born in 2012 when I was searching through the BIAB styles. I came across the Emerald style. I have played this song in my daily rotation since then. Robert, Ray and I were passing around ideas and I presented this as a potential for a new song with lyrics. Robert decided to take a break so Ray and I developed it into this song. Ray came up with a very cool lyric and we made some changes to the backtrack.
After the backtrack was developed we sent it to Janice and Bud and they graciously joined the project.

Emerald

Lyrics by Ray Cochrane
B1
Only if you're looking
Yes, only if you look
There's a point
In the distance
I see you aren't there
No, you're not with me.

A2
I don't want to go
You can't make me
I don't care to see
What it took
You're eyes open
Take in the pain
Once again

B2
Only if you're seeking
Yes, only if you seek
There's a point
Just an instant
I see nothings there
No, not you or me.

A3
I don't want to go
You can't make me
I don't want to know
What you know
Eyes wired open
Absorb the pain
Once again

B3
Only if you're looking
Yes, only if you look
There's a point
A single instance
I see you're not there
No, you're not with me.

A4
I don't want to look
You can't make me
It isn't time
It's really not
See it's a crime
Take all the pain
Once again
Once again

B4
Only if you're looking
Yes, only if you look
There's surrender
Acquiescence
I see you aren't there
No, you're not with me.

These were the original BIAB song tracks.
****** Song Summary *************
Title: Emerald
File:EMERALDwBridge.SGU
Key=A , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=4:12
No intro. 40 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 40. Repeat x2 choruses
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Patches,
Style is C_FOLKY.STY (Folky Top 40 Country Ballad)

RealTracks in song: ~~532:Bass, Acoustic, Pop Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~1032:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Strumming Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:CountryEven8: a: Brushes, HiHat b: Snare, Ride

BIAB tracks used in the song.
Ray did some tweaks to the drum track
We also used the ~~689:Organ, B3,

Janice - Vocals and Harmonies
Ray - Bass, Rhythm Guitars
Scott - Guitar melody and fills.

The mixing was pretty much a group effort and Bud did the final master.

Posted By: Will Josef Re: Emerald - 09/01/21 08:22 PM
Hi Scott C.

What a wonderful sounding and captivating track. I loved the performances from your collaborators... this is absolutely the song of the day... so well done!!!

Will
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Emerald - 09/01/21 08:33 PM
I like this.

Well constructed, well performed & produced.
Everything in this mix fits like a glove.

My my , Janice is quite a busy lady.

moto
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Emerald - 09/01/21 08:55 PM
Hi Scott,

This is a great listen - well done to the whole team on this song.

Mix sounds professional.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Emerald - 09/01/21 10:32 PM
Great collaborative effort by an all-star lineup. Enjoyed it much!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Emerald - 09/02/21 07:01 AM

Nice write, Ray! And solid work on the bass too.

Scott, I always say this about your playing, about how melodic you are. Nicely done, love that part with the two guitars talking to each other.

Janice sounds lovely as she always does! Great vocal and harmonies.

Really well done you three!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Emerald - 09/02/21 11:53 AM
Mysteriously sad and painful lyrical landscape. The organ and Scott's guitar create nice colors for it and Janice's intense interpretation give it the necessary roughness. Very successful collaboration.

Janne
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Emerald - 09/02/21 12:40 PM
Oh, good God, there are so many amazing aspects to talk about here. Just on my 3rd listen now. Love this melody --so creative with so many influences to mention. Janice (well I say this all time) can make anything sound outstanding. So good and I love those harmonies and her decisions on where they should go. Very well constructed vocals. Ray is such a good bassist, playing what needs to be said on the low end while creatively dancing with the lyric, and I know he is so good at making everything click together. It doesn't get any better than Bud when it comes to studio work.

Scott, this is such a good song. So glad you dusted it off and assembled such a great team to help with the polishing.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - 09/02/21 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Scott, I always say this about your playing, about how melodic you are. Nicely done, love that part with the two guitars talking to each other.

Dave, it was nice to be invited in on this. Thanks for mentioning my vocals!

Janice
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - 09/02/21 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Scott C.

What a wonderful sounding and captivating track. I loved the performances from your collaborators... this is absolutely the song of the day... so well done!!!

Will

Thanks Will for checking out the song. Appreciate your comments. Glad you liked it
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Emerald - 09/02/21 09:02 PM
All star lineup delivers prognostication. Very flow-y and spacious mix and tasteful lush arrangement. Congrats on the reboot. I think it fires on all cylinders.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/02/21 09:08 PM
When I saw who was playing on this one I knew it would be a winner. Everything is perfect, great guitar, bass, lyrics, and vocal plus the mix is spot on.

Outstanding work
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Emerald - 09/02/21 10:11 PM
Way to collaborate. Nice job all around. Good song.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/02/21 11:06 PM
Janice, Ray and Scott,

Whoever decided to put that organ in here was inspired! It really gives this such a soulful vibe!

I love to hear Janice doing songs outside of the Country genre...just she really delivered on this!

Nice clean guitar work Scott!

Ray your guitar and bass work are sublime!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/03/21 08:10 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Mysteriously sad and painful lyrical landscape. The organ and Scott's guitar create nice colors for it and Janice's intense interpretation give it the necessary roughness. Very successful collaboration.

Janne

I appreciate your comments about my vocals as I was immediately attracted to their great lyric and melody.

Thanks!

Janice!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/03/21 07:01 PM
Lovely team effort.

Everyone plays their part and does so very well.

Ray - good lyric, bass and rhythm guitars. Compliments the song perfectly.

Scott - Signature playing, and pretty work throughout.

Janice - Superb phrasing great harmonies and as expected beautifully sung.

Bud - Got some mastering work for you! wink

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/04/21 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, good God, there are so many amazing aspects to talk about here. Just on my 3rd listen now. Love this melody --so creative with so many influences to mention. Janice (well I say this all time) can make anything sound outstanding. So good and I love those harmonies and her decisions on where they should go. Very well constructed vocals. Ray is such a good bassist, playing what needs to be said on the low end while creatively dancing with the lyric, and I know he is so good at making everything click together. It doesn't get any better than Bud when it comes to studio work.

Scott, this is such a good song. So glad you dusted it off and assembled such a great team to help with the polishing.

Thank you Marty! I learned a lot from floyd about selecting harmony placements. I’m happy you liked them.

Janice

Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - 09/05/21 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
I like this.

Well constructed, well performed & produced.
Everything in this mix fits like a glove.

My my , Janice is quite a busy lady.

moto

Thanks Moto for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Scott,

This is a great listen - well done to the whole team on this song.

Mix sounds professional.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel Appreciate your comments and Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great collaborative effort by an all-star lineup. Enjoyed it much!

Thanks TM Was honored to be a part of the group. Glad you liked it..
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - 09/06/21 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks Dave. For me this was a very special song. Was so much fun working with Ray, Janice and Bud. Glad you liked it.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/06/21 04:34 PM
Oh boy. From the first Janice entry, I "sat up and listened". Her voice sounds fresher, more direct and sad and sincere than ever.

The guitar is achingly melancholic.

One of the most beautiful, lyrical songs I've heard on this forum. It could be in the charts instantly (only it's too good for modern charts, somehow, I feel). I love well done melancholic songs, and this has everything. Sincerest congratulations.

P.S. LOVE Janice's accent on "it's" from "it's a crime" in A4. And the lyrics ... Ray, you've outdone yourself.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/06/21 04:43 PM
Excellent song , arrangement and mix just blends in with the vocals .

You all should be pleased with this one , I liked the feel due to the strong bass line , In my opinion !!. Bass gives a good guide to a good melody.

Great vocals top it all off !

Thanks
Posted By: Bawb Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/06/21 06:20 PM
Hi Scott,
Wow, this is such a fantastic song. Surely everyone involved was on the top of their game this day! Janice's singing is as polished as always. The beginning guitar grabs the attention and the whole song was just a really sweet and enjoyable listen. Thanks for posting!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/06/21 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
When I saw who was playing on this one I knew it would be a winner. Everything is perfect, great guitar, bass, lyrics, and vocal plus the mix is spot on.

Outstanding work

Thanks for mentioning my vocals Mario!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Emerald - 09/07/21 10:51 AM
Cool opening guitar.

A gorgeous vocal. Stunning.

Very nice backing. Subtle. Just right for the song. Sweet bass sound.

Excellent mix.

A very pleasant listen.

Cool cover photo! (That girl is forever walking away...)

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - 09/07/21 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

Thanks Janne for checking out the song. I agree Ray created an excellent lyric and Janice did an awesome job of the vocal. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Thanks Marty for the awesome comments. They are very much appreciated. So glad you liked the song.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Emerald - 09/07/21 10:42 PM
Scott & Crew.
This was totally unexpected. Excellent teamwork! Nice laid back Indie / Folk tune. Everyone has their own space, yet sound as a team/whole. To me, that is the "prize won" in a collaboration. Solid write and performance. Janice - wonderful vocals, you took this to whole new dimension. Bud, A+ mix. What fascinates me is to witness new creations taking shape, powered by people so far apart and so different. Good one! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Sorry late for the party, storm related issues.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Emerald - 09/08/21 09:23 AM
Wonderful!

I see Spirit level is expanded and Bud and Janice joined. You are getting nearly unbeatable!
Very nice song, sensitive lyrics, very well sung and a satin leadguitar!
And amazing how everyone is working together nowadays.
I see I stayed behind on that path... But let me keep my focus on this performance.
It's just great, I said on SoundCloud. And that is what it is.

I enjoyed it very much,
Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/08/21 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Janice, Ray and Scott,

Whoever decided to put that organ in here was inspired! It really gives this such a soulful vibe!

I love to hear Janice doing songs outside of the Country genre...just she really delivered on this!

Thanks, Torrey

Thank you Torrey...we haven't done a country song in a while-- mostly blues nowadays.
It must be my southern accent! smile smile smile

Thanks for mentioning my vocal and glad you liked the song!

Janice
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - 09/08/21 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
All star lineup delivers prognostication. Very flow-y and spacious mix and tasteful lush arrangement. Congrats on the reboot. I think it fires on all cylinders.

Thanks Tangmo for checking out the song. Good to hear from you. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Outstanding work

Thanks Mario for the very kind comments. They are very much appreciated. Glad you liked the song..
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - 09/09/21 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Lovely team effort.

Peter

Thanks music partner!

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - 09/10/21 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Way to collaborate. Nice job all around. Good song.

Thanks for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Janice, Ray and Scott,

Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey. I had been playing around with the backtrack for quite a few years. Thanks for the awesome comments. Glad you liked it.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/10/21 01:44 PM

Hey Y'all,

Lovely Job here.

Beautiful, poignant, and great performances.

A real treat.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/11/21 08:39 AM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Oh boy. From the first Janice entry, I "sat up and listened". Her voice sounds fresher, more direct and sad and sincere than ever.

One of the most beautiful, lyrical songs I've heard on this forum. It could be in the charts instantly (only it's too good for modern charts, somehow, I feel). I love well done melancholic songs, and this has everything. Sincerest congratulations.

P.S. LOVE Janice's accent on "it's" from "it's a crime" in A4. And the lyrics ... Ray, you've outdone yourself.

Thank you for mentioning my vocal. I loved the song from the moment first I heard it! All of your comments are much appreciated.

Janice
Posted By: rsdean Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/11/21 08:51 AM
Scott, Janice, Bud & Ray,

Simply beautiful... Nothing more to say.

Loved it.

Bob
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/11/21 11:34 AM
only one word needed ray.
SUPERB.
great hit femme vocs and doubles etc.
best
om
ps i gotta vent a bit...
this is the type of song major radio should be playing instead of the dreck i often hear on radio stations.
once again superb.
Posted By: rayc Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/11/21 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
SUPERB.
best
om
ps i gotta vent a bit...
this is the type of song major radio should be playing instead of the dreck i often hear on radio stations.
once again superb.

Thanks,
We knew it was a good one. Janice & Bud's participation really lifted the song.
Posted By: rayc Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/11/21 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean

Loved it.

Bob

Thanks Bob,
You're kind.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/12/21 03:34 AM
Excellent collaboration, folks. Well written, well played and you really can't go wrong with Janice on vocals. A winner.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/12/21 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Lovely team effort.

Peter

Thanks Peter for the awesome comments. Means allot. Glad you liked it

Originally Posted By: musician17

Thanks James for checking out the song. Really glad you liked it.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/12/21 09:51 PM
So well constructed & executed.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - 09/13/21 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster

You all should be pleased with this one , I liked the feel due to the strong bass line , In my opinion !!. Bass gives a good guide to a good melody.

Thanks

Thank you!

Janice
Wow! That was something, and quite the delight to my ears after a long day of work.

This is one of those songs/productions where everything has come together magnificently!

That bass sounds a bit McCartney-esque.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - 09/15/21 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Scott,
Wow, this is such a fantastic song. Surely everyone involved was on the top of their game this day! Janice's singing is as polished as always. The beginning guitar grabs the attention and the whole song was just a really sweet and enjoyable listen. Thanks for posting!

Thank you!

I appreciate you mentioning my vocal.

Janice
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/15/21 07:03 PM
Wow Scott! can't say anything else. Then again with all of you making this thing happens one cannot expect anything but a masterpiece.

Mike B.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/15/21 11:19 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster

Thanks

Thanks so much for checking out the song. Appreciate the comments. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Scott,

Thanks Bawb. I was in good company with this tune. Thanks for checking it out. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Cool opening guitar.

Excellent mix.

A very pleasant listen.

fj

Thanks for checking out the song Floyd. Glad you liked it. Something very special coming :-)

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scott & Crew.
This was totally unexpected. Excellent teamwork! Nice laid back Indie / Folk tune. Everyone has their own space, yet sound as a team/whole. To me, that is the "prize won" in a collaboration. Solid write and performance. Janice - wonderful vocals, you took this to whole new dimension. Bud, A+ mix. What fascinates me is to witness new creations taking shape, powered by people so far apart and so different. Good one! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha for checking out the song. So glad you liked it. Appreciate the awesome comments.
Posted By: rayc Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/15/21 11:46 PM
SUPERB.
best
om
ps i gotta vent a bit...
once again superb.

Thanks JAOM,
I am but a bit player in an ensemble cast.
That adjective you used certainly does describe Janice & Bud's part in the story.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/16/21 04:12 AM
Sounds great. Open sound, clear guitar, strong vocals.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a song with the "acquiescence" in the lyric, so bonus points there! wink
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - 09/17/21 09:18 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Cool opening guitar.

Excellent mix.

A very pleasant listen.

fj

Thank you! And I’m going to try and walk toward smile

Janice
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - 09/17/21 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Wonderful!

I see Spirit level is expanded and Bud and Janice joined. You are getting nearly unbeatable!
Very nice song, sensitive lyrics, very well sung and a satin leadguitar!
And amazing how everyone is working together nowadays.
I see I stayed behind on that path... But let me keep my focus on this performance.
It's just great, I said on SoundCloud. And that is what it is.

I enjoyed it very much,
Hans

Thanks Hans for checking out the song. Spirit Level had decided to take a hiatus for awhile so this was a collaboration with Janice, Bud, Ray and myself. Really glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Y'all,

Lovely Job here.

Beautiful, poignant, and great performances.

A real treat.

Thank you David. Really glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: rsdean

Loved it.

Bob

Thanks Bob Appreciate the comments and for checking out the song
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Emerald - 09/18/21 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scott & Crew.

Misha.

Thank you Misha! Bud wanted me to mention that he had little involvement in the mix.

Janice

SUPERB.
best
om
ps i gotta vent a bit...
once again superb.

Thanks! Glad you liked my femme vocals smile
Janice

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Excellent collaboration, folks. Well written, well played and you really can't go wrong with Janice on vocals. A winner.
Regards,
Leon

Originally Posted By: dcuny

I'm not sure I've ever heard a song with the "acquiescence" in the lyric, so bonus points there! wink

Thanks guys!

Janice
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/19/21 02:24 PM
SUPERB.
best
om
ps i gotta vent a bit...
once again superb.

Thanks for checking out the song. Would be cool to hear it on the radio Bucketlist wish :-)

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon Appreciate you checking out the song and commenting. Glad you liked it

Originally Posted By: edshaw
So well constructed & executed.

Thanks Ed Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Scott C Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/20/21 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Wow! That was something, and quite the delight to my ears after a long day of work.

This is one of those songs/productions where everything has come together magnificently!

That bass sounds a bit McCartney-esque.

Thanks Scott for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Wow Scott! can't say anything else. Then again with all of you making this thing happens one cannot expect anything but a masterpiece.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike for checking out the song really appreciate the comments. Glad you liked it

Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks David Glad you liked the song.
Posted By: rayc Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 09/25/21 07:00 PM
Thanks folks,
This was always going to be a lovely song.
The progression and fluid guitar lines were an excellent starting point.
When Janice & Bud joined the production team the result was guaranteed to be fabulous.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Emerald - w/Janice, Ray and Scott - 10/07/21 08:29 PM
A pretty song!! Very nicely composed/written, and Janice's vocal is the very sweet icing on the cake!!! Nice job by all!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums