PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 04:15 PM
FIND MY WAY BACK HOME
FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (YOUTUBE)

This one is a re-work of an instrumental I posted 4 or 5 years ago. I really like the melody but didn't feel I did a very good job with it the first time, especially the guitar sound I had. I still struggled with the acoustic guitar sound again on this and still am looking for that sweet spot with the eq and effects on it but feel it's getting closer. I was inspired by a trip to the Southwest (Sedona, Az) when I first had the idea for this one. Thanks for having a listen! T

BIAB
Bass 1253 Pop Shining Held Ev 120
Bass 1418 Electric Southern Rock Ev16 85
Drums Pop Country 16ths
Guitar 1164 Acoustic Rhythm Celtic Reel Ev16 110
Guitar 1305 Acoustic Rhythm Celtic Reel Ev16 110 (Drones only)
Strings 2060 Strings Rhythm Pop Country Ev 120
Guitar 851 Electric Rhythm Nashville Pop Clean Ev 120

Me
Acoustic Guitar Lead Taylor 812ce ran through a TRex Soulmate Acoustic effects processor
Background Vocal
Percussion
Synths
Posted By: Derochette Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 04:55 PM
Hi Torrey Bliss,

Nice introduction. I love the instrumental guitar (excellent sound). Beautiful melody and arrangement where each instrument is in its place. Very good work. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: musician17 Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 05:25 PM
This is another level. The writing as well as the guitar playing are amazing. Kept me glued to it to the end. Those panpipes, too ... so evocative. Bravo!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 07:59 PM
OH Yes!

Sedona can have effect on those that visit.
Sound like it was a good effect on you!

Nice.

moto
Posted By: rayc Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 08:09 PM
OUTSTANDING Torrey.
An instrumental with a coherent melody and a lead instrument voice that becomes a voice inside my head.
The backing is terrific - there's plenty going on but everything supports the melody.
ACE.
Posted By: Scott C Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 08:22 PM
Cool intro. Loved the guitar tone. Super playing Torrey. Super production and mix. Well done
Posted By: MarioD Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 09:13 PM
Torrey, this is fantastic. Great chops and a very sweet sounding axe. The backing tracks fit like a glove. Excellent mix.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: PeterF Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 09:32 PM
Torrey

One of the best guitar instrumentals I heard on this forum.

Excellent.

Peter
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 09:42 PM
A beautifully hand-crafted piece. A pleasure to listen to. smile
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 10:17 PM
Wow, that is some playing. I can't believe that's an acoustic guitar. So nice. Lovely sound. Great atmosphere you captured. Good one.
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Torrey Bliss,

Nice introduction. I love the instrumental guitar (excellent sound). Beautiful melody and arrangement where each instrument is in its place. Very good work. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks so much Derochette for all the kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/02/21 11:11 PM
Hi Torrey,

I agree with all above - a terrific performance and reminiscent of the great Carlos Santana.

I also can't believe you got that tone from an acoustic guitar.

Great work.

Best Regards
Nigel
Wow, Torrey, you pretty much blew me away with this one!

Just OUTSTANDING! One of the best instrumentals I have ever heard actually, right up there with Europa IMHO.

Love the little modulation you snuck in right at the end! cool
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/03/21 09:37 AM
Sedonna is such a wonderful piece of the planet. You were inspired and created a very inspirational piece of music. What a great bed of changes, and your guitar glides over them with such ease and taste. Excellent dynamics! Some songs become instrumentals because the words never come; this one is one where there ARE no words to convey such an inspired feeling. Love it, Torrey! Well said.
Originally Posted By: musician17
This is another level. The writing as well as the guitar playing are amazing. Kept me glued to it to the end. Those panpipes, too ... so evocative. Bravo!

Thanks James for the nice comments! That pan flute sound just seemed to come naturally for this one! T
"...and still am looking for that sweet spot with the eq and effects on it but feel it's getting closer"

Memo to Mr. Bliss,
You got there. smile

Extremely well crafted and sublimely played.

No hints here and there of a melody ... it is established and maintained from the get go.

And you supported it with an excellent BiaB choice and mix.

Kudos

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/03/21 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
OUTSTANDING Torrey.
An instrumental with a coherent melody and a lead instrument voice that becomes a voice inside my head.
The backing is terrific - there's plenty going on but everything supports the melody.
ACE.

I haven't copied someone else's comment in a while...but Ray really nailed it on this one!

OUTSTANDING is the right word.

Great job, Torrey!! Killer guitar work. A great listen.

fj
Posted By: Bawb Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/03/21 05:29 PM
Hi Torrey,

I wasn't here when you first posted the old version, so I have no real reference whether it sounds better or not. Without listening to the first version, I'd have to say it probably stands on its own. This is a very well played piece, especially your part with the acoustic guitar. It kind of sounds a lot like Carlos Santana in a few places. Nice choice of bands and adapting different styles together.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
OH Yes!

Sedona can have effect on those that visit.
Sound like it was a good effect on you!

Nice.

moto

Thanks Captain! I would like to visit that area again some day! T
Posted By: dcuny Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/04/21 06:18 PM
Wow.

Yep, that's the right word.

Wow. laugh
Originally Posted By: rayc
OUTSTANDING Torrey.
ACE.

Thanks Ray! That positive input means a lot to me! T
Posted By: ROG Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/05/21 09:59 AM
Hi Torrey,

Wonderful tone on that lead guitar - I wouldn't change anything this time around.

A great track, beautifully put together.

Lots of atmosphere from the backing track and some superb playing on the melody.

Loved it.

ROG.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/05/21 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Torrey

One of the best guitar instrumentals I heard on this forum.

Excellent.

Peter

Ditto to this one.

Mike B.
Thanks Scott for the listen and comments! I always appreciate it! T
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Torrey, this is fantastic. Great chops and a very sweet sounding axe. The backing tracks fit like a glove. Excellent mix.

Two thumbs up.

Thanks Mario! I really appreciate it! T
Thanks Peter for your kind words! T
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
A beautifully hand-crafted piece. A pleasure to listen to. smile

Thanks Ghostgum! I appreciate it! T
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Wow, that is some playing. I can't believe that's an acoustic guitar. So nice. Lovely sound. Great atmosphere you captured. Good one.

Thanks jptjptjpt! I spent a considerable amount of time trying to dial in a good sound on my acoustic. It seems like I always struggle getting the sound I want with that thing. T
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Torrey,

I agree with all above - a terrific performance and reminiscent of the great Carlos Santana.

I also can't believe you got that tone from an acoustic guitar.

Great work.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel! I really appreciate that! T
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wow, Torrey, you pretty much blew me away with this one!

Just OUTSTANDING! One of the best instrumentals I have ever heard actually, right up there with Europa IMHO.

Love the little modulation you snuck in right at the end! cool

Thanks Dave! Your comments mean a lot to me! T
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Sedonna is such a wonderful piece of the planet. You were inspired and created a very inspirational piece of music. What a great bed of changes, and your guitar glides over them with such ease and taste. Excellent dynamics! Some songs become instrumentals because the words never come; this one is one where there ARE no words to convey such an inspired feeling. Love it, Torrey! Well said.

Thanks Marty! People who never get to see that wonderful place are really missing out on something! T
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"...and still am looking for that sweet spot with the eq and effects on it but feel it's getting closer"

Memo to Mr. Bliss,
You got there. smile

Extremely well crafted and sublimely played.

No hints here and there of a melody ... it is established and maintained from the get go.

Thanks J&B! I really appreciate it! T

And you supported it with an excellent BiaB choice and mix.

Kudos

J&B

Thanks Floyd for the positive comments! I appreciate it! T
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Torrey,

I wasn't here when you first posted the old version, so I have no real reference whether it sounds better or not. Without listening to the first version, I'd have to say it probably stands on its own. This is a very well played piece, especially your part with the acoustic guitar. It kind of sounds a lot like Carlos Santana in a few places. Nice choice of bands and adapting different styles together.

Thanks Bawb for the kind words! T
Thanks David for having a listen! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Noel96 Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/07/21 11:31 AM
Hi Torrey,

This is such easy-on-the-ears listening.

You maintained my interest from start to finish. It was so easy to sit here at my computer and let the music drift around me.

Personally, I find it very difficult creating an instrumental that captures people's imagination and then leads them along on an entertaining musical journey. You made it sound so easy.

You definitely have a flair for melody and for knowing when to repeat and when to develop motifs. This is also such an awesome production.

I thoroughly enjoyed where your music took me.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: firesong Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/07/21 03:05 PM
Extraordinary!
I'm not a good enough musician to comment on this technically or any other way...except to say and reiterate...Wow!
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Torrey,

Wonderful tone on that lead guitar - I wouldn't change anything this time around.

A great track, beautifully put together.

Lots of atmosphere from the backing track and some superb playing on the melody.

Loved it.

ROG.

Thanks ROG for taking time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Thanks Mike! I appreciate it! T
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Torrey,

This is such easy-on-the-ears listening.

You maintained my interest from start to finish. It was so easy to sit here at my computer and let the music drift around me.

Personally, I find it very difficult creating an instrumental that captures people's imagination and then leads them along on an entertaining musical journey. You made it sound so easy.

You definitely have a flair for melody and for knowing when to repeat and when to develop motifs. This is also such an awesome production.

I thoroughly enjoyed where your music took me.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel! I always appreciate your comments! T
Originally Posted By: firesong
Extraordinary!
I'm not a good enough musician to comment on this technically or any other way...except to say and reiterate...Wow!

Thanks Dan for your kind words! T
Posted By: Birchwood Re: FIND MY WAY BACK HOME (Instrumental) - 09/09/21 11:27 AM
Hi Torrey,

I read your introduction of the song and then listened to it.
You sure know how to mislead someone. I can only join all others here telling you how wonderful your song was and how brilliant that acoustic lead guitar. You gave it a velvet sound!
And all these compliments you got are well deserved.

But... I wish you will feel challenged to sing in this song. Of course it is brilliant as it is and, like Ray said; the sologuitar becomes a voice inside ones' head. But still I want to hear those words come out of you (if possible).

I enjoyed it very much!
Hans
© PG Music Forums