Grosse Fuge

Posted by: Mark Hayes

Grosse Fuge - 09/04/21 01:00 PM

Beethoven’s Grosse Fuge, chord-analyzed by BIAB and turned into a snappy little jazz tune.

https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/grosse-fuge-clean

The entire thing was a bit much, so I trimmed it down to a short selection of interesting sections.

The violin here is 100% Beethoven, believe it or not.

BIAB style used was ZZJAZZ.STY. Drums were rendered by BIAB, all other tracks (bass, piano, violin) were exported to MIDI and rendered by Logic.

PS – The original version I posted had effects on the violin which I have since recanted on suggestion: https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/grosse-fuge
Posted by: dcuny

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/04/21 01:09 PM

That's... interesting.

It feels it's on the edge of a melody, but then always going sideways. laugh

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/04/21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: dcuny
That's... interesting.

It feels it's on the edge of a melody, but then always going sideways. laugh

Indeed, just like the original string quartet, which is a massive pile of frenzy.

I was astonished to hear the part at 0:23 sounding as "normal" as it did, which was when I decided this was worth keeping. I love doing experiments like this.
Posted by: rayc

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/04/21 04:56 PM

There's plenty of melody in the original and the new setting actually allows more of that to come through BUT the rolling panning of that melody really doesn't allow a brain to process it as such.

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/04/21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: rayc
There's plenty of melody in the original and the new setting actually allows more of that to come through BUT the rolling panning of that melody really doesn't allow a brain to process it as such.

Ow, that doesn't sound pleasant! This version should hopefully be brain-friendlier:

https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/grosse-fuge-clean

I may like the clean sound better myself. I just got smitten by that fuzzy Jean Luc Ponty sound when I found myself making it.

LATER...

Actually, I do like it better. I revised the original post to reference the clean version.

Thanks for the input!
Posted by: CaptainMoto

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/04/21 07:45 PM

A fine piece of work.
Way above my capacity to digest the nuances.

moto
Posted by: Tangmo

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/05/21 07:14 AM

Sweet experimental re-conceptualization. (How did I type that without spell-check?). Back to original thought: Next? Offenbach's Can Can in 5/4. Fun stuff.

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/05/21 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
A fine piece of work.
Way above my capacity to digest the nuances.
moto

Thanks, "fine" is fine with me. =8^)

Re: Grosse Fuge - 09/05/21 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Sweet experimental re-conceptualization. (How did I type that without spell-check?). Back to original thought: Next? Offenbach's Can Can in 5/4. Fun stuff.

Thanks! Is the 5/4 Can Can a done thing, a party trick for drunk music students or something?