PG Music Home
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/14/21 05:20 PM
Nothing is for Free -
I tried to capture the sound and feel of Sinatra record, 40's Big Band groove. Let me know what you think.

https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic/song/32877538-nothing-is-for-free

https://soundcloud.com/ekayne/nothing-is-for-free

I started with BIAB Real Tracks, and kept adding more horn parts, including some midi horns that I played via keyboard, in order to get a 40's Big Band. Clarinet, Sax, Trumpet Solos, muted Trumpets, Brass via Halicon Sonic, a bit of strings.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: NOTHING FREE
File:NOTHING FREE.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 110, Length (m:s)=3:35
No intro. 96 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 96. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _CROONR2.STY (Crooner Big Band w/ Piano)

RealTracks in style: 2126:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Half,Half Sw 110
RealTracks in song: ~771:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~938:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm JazzFreddie Sw 110
RealTracks in style: 2593:Horn Section, Background CroonerBigBand9-Part Sw 110
RealTracks in song: ~2293:Horn Section, Rhythm PopPads Ev 130
RealTracks in song: ~1975:Trumpet, Soloist DixielandMedium Sw 110
RealDrums [in Song:JazzTomLewis^01-a:Brushes, Snare , b:Side Stick, Toms and Ride

Howdy Elliott....

I think you pulled it off just fine....mission accomplished
Good clean vocal and performed in a relaxed, confident way.
I like it.

The only thing that jumped out at me was the horns (panned left) got a bit too loud in a few places during the 1st half of the song.
Just my quite subjective smile observation...NOT a criticism.

Good job....
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/15/21 01:38 AM
Hi Elliott,

Thanks for posting this song.

I really liked the song, chord changes and your vocals.

I also liked the dynamics with lots of instrument dropouts all through the song.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: PeterF Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/15/21 02:13 AM
Elliott

Well produced and a very good vocal, that fits with the impressive backing you've come up with.

Very nicely done.

Peter
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/15/21 07:44 PM
Great job, not sure if I got Sinatra out of this but it's very well done. Vocal is excellent, a little forward for me. I can hear you put a lot of work into this and it definitely paid off.
Elliott Kayne....
those vocal doubles work very very well and are superbly melodic<<<<loved that. very catchy. nice lyrics.
really liked the bass trak.

you captured the era superbly.
ive listened several times now, which tells me its a v good song. would love to hear some femme back up vocs in the choruses reinforcing.
well well done.
best
om
Sounds period authentic.

I really like this song. It would certainly be on the Hit Parade back then.
Posted By: Bawb Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/16/21 11:17 AM
Hi Elliott,
"I tried to capture the sound and feel of Sinatra record, 40's Big Band groove. Let me know what you think." Umm, yeah... Personally, I think you knocked it out of the park in a BIG way! Such a rich sounding arrangement and your vocals, while similar to Sinatra's, stand on their own. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/16/21 08:07 PM
Yep, mission accomplished alright! Great sound and vocals. Certainly my cup of tea.
Mike B.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/17/21 03:33 AM
Easygoing delivery, interesting arrangement.

Pleasant song! laugh
Thanks for listening and your suggestions. I uploaded a new mix. Let me know your thoughts.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/20/21 09:55 PM
Nice big band sound, Elliot and a very well written song. Good vocal. Much enjoyed.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/21/21 11:57 AM
WOW, you got it, Elliott!! What a great horn section and arrangement. Wonderful lyrics and vocal. Love the interplay between the clarinet, trumpet and sax. Really outstanding song, man. Man, what a good mix, too.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 09/25/21 11:16 PM
Oh man, you nailed that 40's vibe!
Love your vocals on this.
Well done.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Nothing is for Free - 40's Big Band - 10/07/21 08:33 PM
Really nicely done Elliott!!! The chorus is really catchy.......grabs ya!!! You did a nice job of putting all the horns together! A very enjoyable listen!! Take care. Greg

"Nothing is forever except the past"......GREAT Line!!!
© PG Music Forums