PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic Take It Or Leave Me - 09/19/21 10:23 AM
Take It Or Leave Me on Soundcloud
Take It Or Leave Me on YouTube

Revisiting this song was inspired by Bob Dean with his Like A Girl post where he mentions digging out the old outakes and lost songs and updating them. Back in the 90s the title Take It Or Leave Me seemed like someting to write about, but what exactly she needed to take was uncertain. I eventually made a BiaB version to show others what I wanted to record. On the original version I played the chords on an acoustic guitar held upright with the rhythm tapped on the strings with a wooden pencil. Kinda sounded cool, but here I replaced that with steel drums.

After settling on the Tex-Mex style, the rest of the song took a new shape. I like the RealDrums in the style, but the shaker was too enthusiastic at times so I had to cut and paste a few sections to tame it. The 12-string sometimes used 2 positions of the same chord in a measure (which I didn't want) so I switched it to a Utility track and cut and pasted what I wanted. Usually I like to do my own bass, not because it's better but because it's fun. The BiaB bass was interesting so I kept it.

1st V -- he tells his new love how they should handle the inevitable disagreements,
2nd V -- he explains why and how deeply he feels that way
3rd V -- he tells how their future would be
Happy ending: she stayed for 44 years so far.

Take It Or Leave Me

Listen for the beats between the falling
of a heart in love and when it stops its beat,
and learn to heed the voice inside that's calling
out a warning to keep love in your retreat.

CH: Take it or leave me. Take it or leave me.
Take it from the voice inside that tells you the way.
Nothing that you've done or do adulterates that voice in you.
Take it from you to be with me, my love.

Standing like statue of salvation
is an old soul that my memory knows as Truth,
and etched so deep in my imagination
is a message to remind me of my youth. CH - SOLO

Open up and step inside Forever.
There's a calmness there that takes your breath away.
Then, looking out, we'll both belong together
in a way that only fairy tales dare say. CH

REF: You gotta take it or leave me right now.

Style is _VARAR.STY (Varar Tex-Mex with Steel Drum)
RealTracks in style: 1293:Bass, Electric, TexMexCountry Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3611:Steel Drum, Rhythm SocaAB Ev16 120
RealTracks in style: 1294:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexMexCountry Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 3171:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CampfireEven Ev 120
Loop in Song: Percussion Loops\Loop124bpm Conga 8ths 4 bars fill at end.wma
RealTracks in song: 3756:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopFunkySoulBrent Ev16 095
RealDrums [in style:TexMexCountryEv8^1-a:Groove, Shaker & Scrapper , b:Ride, Shaker & Scrapper
Utility track: 2534 Guitar 12-string acoustic held

I'm so grateful for all your help here, and appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thanks.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/19/21 11:09 AM
Hi Marty.

No-one can sell a song like you can!! That chorus is stuck in my brain " Take it or leave me. Take it or leave me."
Will it wear off soon ? : ) . I can imagine this as a Reggae style song.
Sorry for the brevity of this post but it's late and I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it.
regards
Gary.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/19/21 12:33 PM
Wonderful turn of phrase. I've come to expect that. Great little island combo you assembled. Delivery was super...not overly dramatic or serious, but playful. It puts me in touch with "a" way to imagine this relationship and never beats me into submission to feel it another way, though it's possible to do so. I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me reading it back.

My only crit is that the bass keeps going in and out. smile

[an inside joke, showcase]
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/19/21 02:14 PM
Marty,

An excellent listen. Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe, smile

Good write. Excellent instrumentation and arrangement. Mix is superb. Nice vocals.

Well done. Much enjoyed.

I like it!!

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/19/21 05:14 PM
Marty,

You put up a wide variety of material. This seems to be a blending styles and you pulled it off! If you decided to keep the BIAB bass in this it must be good considering how good a bassist you are! It's an enjoyable tune with a great vocal! You always deliver in that department! You are such a valuable member of this community and I appreciate what you do! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/19/21 05:48 PM
The steel drums on the chorus made the song for me. Broke things up between verse and chorus perfectly. Song was strong and the vox were right on. A very good effort!
Posted By: rayc Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/19/21 08:39 PM
The lilt of the beginning reminded me of Gerry & The Pacemakers.
Of course that all changed in the chorus.

Shades of Jimmy Buffet a light breezy arrangement and up melody with a slightly sadder story.

You didn't play bass on this?

Good band, really good melody and a fab song.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 09:29 AM
Hi Marty,

This is great! I love the song and your presentation of it. It's a very engaging listen.

The Jamaican-Island feel of the chorus was a standout for me. I have never tried to use the Steel Drums RTs but you've inspired me to give them a go.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 09:43 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe, smile

Man, I am so stealing that! floyd nailed it I think cool

Good song my friend, nice mix too.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 09:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hi Marty.

No-one can sell a song like you can!! That chorus is stuck in my brain " Take it or leave me. Take it or leave me."
Will it wear off soon ? : ) . I can imagine this as a Reggae style song.
Sorry for the brevity of this post but it's late and I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it.
regards
Gary.

haha Thanks, Gary. It's never too late to hear such warm comments. Take 2 choruses and call me in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Wonderful turn of phrase. I've come to expect that. Great little island combo you assembled. Delivery was super...not overly dramatic or serious, but playful. It puts me in touch with "a" way to imagine this relationship and never beats me into submission to feel it another way, though it's possible to do so. I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me reading it back.

My only crit is that the bass keeps going in and out. smile

[an inside joke, showcase]

Oh, yes, Tangmo, I love the way your brain thinks. I say the singer is making a suggestion more than an ultimatum. BTW, I posted our song Bayou Quinze on FB and a lot of folks really liked it. Thanks.

Marty,

An excellent listen. Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe, smile

Good write. Excellent instrumentation and arrangement. Mix is superb. Nice vocals.

Well done. Much enjoyed.

I like it!!

fj

Haha. I like that Buffettt By Babu, The Babu Buffet. Thanks for listening and commenting, Floyd!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 10:20 AM
Marty,

This is great... Your vocal is really outstanding on this song.

Excellent mix and overall production as well.

Bob
Posted By: jannesan Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 12:33 PM
Nice backstory, I'm glad you revisited the song. Great title and strong lyrics.
The instrumentation works excellently, I really like the Tex-Mex style combined with steel drums, very refreshing approach. Maybe the solo guitarist is bit too busy. The chorus is really catchy, classic. Great vocals once again.

Janne
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 04:13 PM
Well done. Great lyrics. Cool video too. Nice use of the band. I liked it.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 04:47 PM
nice song. cool lyrics and arrangement.
standing like a statue of salvation << BRILLIANT and very poetic.
oooh ..nice lead gtr. nice sound picture.
might i suggest doubling the vocs on the chorus ?
eg take it or leave me...
best/happiness
om
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 07:49 PM
That is one great chorus! Good song all around, but that chorus is the frosting.

Excellent vocal. Engaging melody.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 09:19 PM
Marty

Nice laid back easy listen. Nice steel drum and engaging vocals, with a good chorus hook.

Excellent work on video as well.

Peter
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/20/21 10:20 PM
Very nice, Marty. The steel drums were an inspired choice (although that pencil thing sounds cool).
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/21/21 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty,

You put up a wide variety of material. This seems to be a blending styles and you pulled it off! If you decided to keep the BIAB bass in this it must be good considering how good a bassist you are! It's an enjoyable tune with a great vocal! You always deliver in that department! You are such a valuable member of this community and I appreciate what you do! Thanks, Torrey

Wow, thanks so much, Torrey!!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
The steel drums on the chorus made the song for me. Broke things up between verse and chorus perfectly. Song was strong and the vox were right on. A very good effort!

Thanks, TuneMonger (and I love that handle). Those steel drums are part of the style. The penciled guitar was cool, but I didn't have steel drums at the time of the original.

Originally Posted By: rayc
The lilt of the beginning reminded me of Gerry & The Pacemakers.
Of course that all changed in the chorus.

Shades of Jimmy Buffet a light breezy arrangement and up melody with a slightly sadder story.

You didn't play bass on this?

Good band, really good melody and a fab song.

Hi Ray! The very first note of the bass was all that I changed. It's whole notes of D-C-D and he started with a high D. The story's not sad as long as she was willing to play along, and it DID turn out with a happy ending. Thanks, man.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Marty,

This is great! I love the song and your presentation of it. It's a very engaging listen.

The Jamaican-Island feel of the chorus was a standout for me. I have never tried to use the Steel Drums RTs but you've inspired me to give them a go.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks, Noel. It's interesting to try all the different instruments that BiaB provides. There are no rules. There are infinite combinations. Can't wait to hear what you come up with next.
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/21/21 05:57 PM
Cool Song ... Nice hook .. good mix and tone. I like how it gets an island groove in the chorus. Good vocal sound as well.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/21/21 07:46 PM
Marty,
Sweet tune with Latin Caribbean flavor. Excellent production and it looks like you had fun with it too. Excellent timeless composition. You know, like some Pop tunes of 50s, you start playing them and they flow right in, without the need to "tune" your ears. Very good vocals. Mix is crisp. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing. Made my day.

Misha.

"Happy ending: she stayed for 44 years so far." LOL!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/21/21 10:31 PM
Catchy chorus, easygoing melody. Nicely sung. The steel drums really helped set the mood.

I enjoyed ready the backstory. I've also had to go into some BiaB tracks (typically drums) to calm them down. My son says he can always tell BiaB drum tracks because the drummers use the tome way too much.

Good to hear the song had a happy ending! laugh
Posted By: Scott C Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/22/21 12:03 PM
Cool tune Marty. I got a Jimmy Buffet vibe as well. Cool when you go through the toy box and find something so cool. Super vocal and lyric. Loved the bass lines. Well done
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/22/21 04:54 PM
"Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe" Nailed!

We had to pay special attention to a bass that you thought you could not better smile

"Open up and step inside Forever.
There's a calmness there that takes your breath away."

That was worth the price of admission.

Strong write, vocal, arrangement and mix plus the vid keep ya on board from the get go.

Well done Mr. Straub!
Happy anniversary - 41 here,

J&B
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/24/21 08:57 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe, smile

Man, I am so stealing that! floyd nailed it I think cool

Good song my friend, nice mix too.

Right? Floyd is one of my favorite lyrists. Thanks, Dave!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

This is great... Your vocal is really outstanding on this song.

Excellent mix and overall production as well.

Bob

Thanks, Bob, and thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice backstory, I'm glad you revisited the song. Great title and strong lyrics.
The instrumentation works excellently, I really like the Tex-Mex style combined with steel drums, very refreshing approach. Maybe the solo guitarist is bit too busy. The chorus is really catchy, classic. Great vocals once again.

Janne

Thanks a lot, Janne. Very encouraging comment. Yeah, I think I just wanted to be done with the song --that's why I left the bass and accepted the solo. I agree with you. The solo should have been more melodic and slower to catch the feel of the song.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Well done. Great lyrics. Cool video too. Nice use of the band. I liked it.

Thanks, jptjptjpt. Glad you liked it.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/25/21 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
nice song. cool lyrics and arrangement.
standing like a statue of salvation << BRILLIANT and very poetic.
oooh ..nice lead gtr. nice sound picture.
might i suggest doubling the vocs on the chorus ?
eg take it or leave me...
best/happiness
om

Oh, man, that's a great idea, om. I was trying to fit in some harmony but it wasn't working. Why didn't I think of double tracking. Thanks. man.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
That is one great chorus! Good song all around, but that chorus is the frosting.

Excellent vocal. Engaging melody.

Thanks, Ezekiel, Very kind of you.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty

Nice laid back easy listen. Nice steel drum and engaging vocals, with a good chorus hook.

Excellent work on video as well.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. The steel drums took a bit to make them sound more subtle, but I like the results. It's great having so many options in one program.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/25/21 11:00 AM
I was really impressed with the Steel Drums in the backing. A nice surprise and perhaps unexpected after reviewing the lyrics.

The way you fitted in the guitar break was great.

Overall, everything works great.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/26/21 10:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Very nice, Marty. The steel drums were an inspired choice (although that pencil thing sounds cool).
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. Yeah, I was surprised the steel drums were actually a part of the Tex-Mex style, but I like how they filled in the chorus. Still, that pencil idea worked better than I thought too.

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Cool Song ... Nice hook .. good mix and tone. I like how it gets an island groove in the chorus. Good vocal sound as well.

Thanks, Elliott. Everything sounds better on the islands. Thanks for listening.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Sweet tune with Latin Caribbean flavor. Excellent production and it looks like you had fun with it too. Excellent timeless composition. You know, like some Pop tunes of 50s, you start playing them and they flow right in, without the need to "tune" your ears. Very good vocals. Mix is crisp. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing. Made my day.

Misha.

"Happy ending: she stayed for 44 years so far." LOL!

You're the best, Misha. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Catchy chorus, easygoing melody. Nicely sung. The steel drums really helped set the mood.

I enjoyed ready the backstory. I've also had to go into some BiaB tracks (typically drums) to calm them down. My son says he can always tell BiaB drum tracks because the drummers use the tome way too much.

Good to hear the song had a happy ending! laugh

Haha. Thanks, David. Your son would have really hated a late friend I used to play with. He'd used the toms way too much, and every time he did he'd come out of the roll a bit faster. I remember one time we were playing Chuch Berry's Rock 'N' Roll Music. Eventually our singer couldn't get the words out fast enough and the people actually had to stop dancing. I believe drummers rule, but only when they don't roll.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/26/21 07:28 PM
Marty,

Terrific tune—really enjoyed my listen. Great write and a wonderful vocal. Love the Tex-Mex, Buffet like feel to this one. That steel drum really stands out and gives the song a cool vibe. Outstanding work on this one!

My very best to you,

Deej
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/26/21 10:42 PM
I'll take It!

I like the island vibe.

cool!

moto
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Take It Or Leave Me - 09/28/21 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool tune Marty. I got a Jimmy Buffet vibe as well. Cool when you go through the toy box and find something so cool. Super vocal and lyric. Loved the bass lines. Well done

Thanks, Scott. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"Has a Buffettt-By-Babu vibe" Nailed!

We had to pay special attention to a bass that you thought you could not better smile

"Open up and step inside Forever.
There's a calmness there that takes your breath away."

That was worth the price of admission.

Strong write, vocal, arrangement and mix plus the vid keep ya on board from the get go.

Well done Mr. Straub!
Happy anniversary - 41 here,

J&B

Ah, that Floyd guy sure has a way of attaching monikers that fit and stick. But wait a minute, guys. There is not a single bassist in the BiaB repertoire that doesn't play far better than me. I usually use mine because it's fun and I believe it helps the song when at least one of us playing actually knows the song. wink hehe. I liked this one because I wouldn't have thought to play it that way and I like what he did. Thanks, J&B, and congratulations. Your 41 seems to show a lifetime of love and friendship.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I was really impressed with the Steel Drums in the backing. A nice surprise and perhaps unexpected after reviewing the lyrics.

The way you fitted in the guitar break was great.

Overall, everything works great.

Oh, thanks so much, VT. I really enjoy your comments.
© PG Music Forums