PG Music Home
Geriatric Guitar Music To Improve Memory and Digestion

https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/geriatric-guitar-music-to-improve-memory-and-digestion

It’s 1969. The opening band at the Fillmore East is extending its set until the main act’s guitarist can be resuscitated. They have played everything they know, so they do this until they are told to stop. Tired, stoned, and annoyed, they lumber around the stage like tar-bound dinosaurs, watching the analog clock on the wall.

Just kidding! I recorded the guitar here in the 1980s with just the moaning Radio Shack Moog background, and have now added drums and bass in BIAB. I actually am very fond of this old guitar solo, but even apart from that, the string bass with the thundering drums (quadruple-tracked) came out pretty sweet.

There's a little filigree at 2:37 that's like the best 3 seconds I ever spent playing guitar.

The whole thing is AWFULLY lumbering, though. And relentlessly repetitive. Long, too! =8^)

Style is _USASLO.STY
RealTracks in style: 2873:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
RealDrums in Style: AmericanaSlow128^01-a:Kick Sidestick, b:Kick Snare
No Pussyfooting, (Swastika Girls specifically), with bass n drums?
I like the RSM drones - that stuff makes the general sound a drum n bass development of Eno loops and Frippertronic.
I'd like to hear it without the augmentation as well.
Originally Posted By: rayc
No Pussyfooting, (Swastika Girls specifically), with bass n drums?
I like the RSM drones - that stuff makes the general sound a drum n bass development of Eno loops and Frippertronic.
I'd like to hear it without the augmentation as well.

Oh, man! I was HEAVY into Eno and Fripp at the time, mainly Eno. Everything had to be some mixture of drone, noise, and "clever".

This is the original. I was playing with a new compression stomp box, and so for decades have known this piece only as "Compressed Guitar" (you can see why the makeover on the name.)

https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/compressed-guitar

Thanks for listening and commenting.
I was into Fripp more than Eno - mainly Roxy Music's fault...I wasn't a fan of them despite trying. Once he was known to me through Fripp I became familiar with his solo stuff.
The original is cool feels very different without the rhythm section - I'll have to listen to this one proper speakers rather than headphones.
Thnaks for putting it where I could listen.
I didn't own any stomp boxes until the mid 80s when my wife bought me a Wah pedal and later a Yamaha FX500 - MultiFX unit, (it has a super shoegaze/drone/synthy setting called Soft Focus - I've kept it going all these years for that one patch). I didn't actually buy one for myself until about a decade ago.
By the way, maybe nobody will get it if I don't say. This is where my title comes from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Music_for_the_Mind_and_Body
You paint quite a vivid picture!

I think I was there....or at least my vague memories and your music transported me to that place and time.

I think I was wearing a nehru jacket, blue jeans or nothin at all.

The stew of stale beer, and pot fills the air.
My gaze is fixed upon the guitar player running into the Marshall amplifier that blasts the space with sounds you feel but can't really identify.

Occasionally, wisps of hair flick across my face as the young girl next to me dances wildly. I get a brief smell of her patchouli oil and I care not about time ,space or tomorrow.
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
By the way, maybe nobody will get it if I don't say. This is where my title comes from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Music_for_the_Mind_and_Body

Joe's fans would have trouble cutting through the haze to get to the memory.
I thought the covers & titles of CJ&TF stuff were better than the countryfied music.
Originally Posted By: rayc
I thought the covers & titles of CJ&TF stuff were better than the countryfied music.

All I ever really knew of Country Joe was THAT song ("1, 2, 3, what are we fighting for?") or the "Fish" cheer.

CJ did the "Fish" cheer with the obscene spelling at Woodstock, and it's on the record. I was somewhere out there in that audience, participating. Maybe in 50 years, audio AI will have evolved sufficiently to isolate my voice. And I'll be a port-mortem AI hologram, digging it.
Sounds a bit like a opening of a Tom Waites set... only more melodic.

Ostinato, baby!
Had to check this out after seeing that description!! Cool vibe!! I think the BIAB tracks merged well with the old guitar track! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Had to check this out after seeing that description!! Cool vibe!! I think the BIAB tracks merged well with the old guitar track!

Thanks! Whatever my music may lack, I try to make up for with titles and descriptions. =8^)
© PG Music Forums