PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong A Thousand Reasons - 09/27/21 02:30 PM
Hey guys...this song is one I recorded with my children a few years back...it's getting a facelift with BiaB...the song is off of a project we did called "Prodigal" which was a selection of songs telling the story of the prodigal son from scripture (Luke 15:11-32)...this song is the point when the prodigal son is contemplating returning home to his father...so the song is not a stand alone idea or entity but rather a part of an entire work (aka: album, musical, whatever you want to call it)...thanks for listening if you choose to...Dan

PS: I'm still in the first cut phase so any ideas or technical advise is always appreciated!

https://soundclick.com/r/s8iv0f

BiaB elements:
EAGER.STY Eager Spirited Soft Guitar
1849 Bass
1264 Piano
3549 Guitar
2200 Nylon Guitar
363 Pedal Steel
Real Drums tamborine

We added: Lead vox: Ian Simmons BGV: Dan Simmons and Amber Simmons-Eaker
Classical Guitar and Drums:Yamaha Genos
Posted By: vicarn Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/27/21 04:32 PM
Dan. You sing this well.
I'm wondering does it need all those instruments?

Good song.
Vic
Posted By: firesong Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/27/21 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Dan. You sing this well.
I'm wondering does it need all those instruments?

Good song.
Vic

Vic...thanks for your comments...actually that's my son Ian singing the lead...what instruments would you drop? I tried to sparse them in here and there...I wanted the song to build as it went to imply more intensity as it grew from "thousand to million" but if it needs less I'm up for that...thanks for the thoughts...Dan
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/27/21 06:55 PM
Good song, great vocal, excellent work all the way around.
Posted By: firesong Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/27/21 08:54 PM
Thanks...I appreciate it.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/27/21 09:54 PM
Hi Dan,

That is a top melody and an excellent vocal performance.

Also - very well mixed.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 09:50 AM
All of your music is very well written and produced.
Key change at 2.05 was a bit abrupt . Would like the vox to be more forward in front of the band. Perhaps a little less vox reverb. Just teeny weeny things. Another enjoyable Firesong.
cheers
Gary.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 11:22 AM
Outstanding song, Daniel. Ian has a wonderful voice, and, man, that harmony reaches the heavens. Yes, the key change was abrupt, but you made it work seamlessly. I also like your response to Vic's comment because I was thinking as he was, and you're right, the added instruments help build the song in the same way the harmonies do. Excellent mix, too.

P.S. I played bass in 3 different companies for the play Godspell --the prodigal son is one of my favorite stories.
Posted By: vicarn Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 11:28 AM
Hard to tell what instruments to leave out without listening to them individually.
At a rough guess I would say look at anything with similar sounds. They can clash.

Vic
Posted By: firesong Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
All of your music is very well written and produced.
Key change at 2.05 was a bit abrupt . Would like the vox to be more forward in front of the band. Perhaps a little less vox reverb. Just teeny weeny things. Another enjoyable Firesong.
cheers
Gary.

Gary...thanks for your comments...I always tend to over effect vocals...different people like different amounts of "sugar on their cereal" so to speak...I need less of a sweet tooth sometimes...I could have used a transition chord for the key change but I intentionally used the "abrupt " jump thematically...the song was jumping from "a thousand reasons" to "a million reasons" which is a shocking and attention grabbing jump so I thought I'll just go there with a bit of a musical explosion thus strait to the new key...anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it...thanks again...Dan
Posted By: firesong Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 03:38 PM
Nigel, Marty and Vic...hey guys thanks for your kind comments...your responses are always constructive and encouraging..."the more ears; the better the song"...Dan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 03:46 PM
Very well done.
Beautiful sentiment delivered with great feeling.

NICE!

moto
Posted By: Bawb Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 04:43 PM

Firesong:
I can think of a thousand thumbs up to describe your song! It harkens back to a Jim Croce song/chord progressions in some places. Really good job on the vocals and the band/instruments. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: firesong Re: A Thousand Reasons - 09/28/21 09:51 PM
moto and Bawb...I'm feeling the love here and I appreciate it so much guys...thanks...Dan
© PG Music Forums