PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/20/21 12:23 AM
Well...I guess ya'll all know I've been pretty sickly.

Did the best I could. Blood running on my guitar strap from a six-inch incision on my throat.

Been to hell and back so this is a first song about going there.

https://soundcloud.com/user-816849740/deaths-door?si=b56965a5d2f34339a32bdb09b4afb954

Billy
Posted By: dcuny Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/20/21 04:01 AM
Classic blues. Good write.

Goin' on living anyhow smile

I hear you now, and I'm glad you're not yet dead!
Posted By: rayc Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/20/21 06:09 AM
That's pretty cool - marvellous within the circumstances but leaving those aside - that's is pretty cool.
Nice line about the curls too.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/20/21 06:40 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Classic blues. Good write.

Goin' on living anyhow smile

I hear you now, and I'm glad you're not yet dead!

Thanks, David, I'm glad I am not dead also!

Billy
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/20/21 06:55 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's pretty cool - marvellous within the circumstances but leaving those aside - that's is pretty cool.
Nice line about the curls too.

Thanks rayc, this is about as raw as it gets. One take on everything. I had about a third of the words written down, The rest were just free style.

I was looking in BIAB for a delta style that would work but I just could not find anything this raw.

The main intent was to express emotion and fear.

I don't know about anyone else but it is a scary song for me.

I screwed up the curls line. Should have been "I went to see the surgeon girl very sharp knife and hair in curls"

I am still far from recovering from all this. The guitar strap cuts into the suture and there are somee words I have not relarned to pronounce.

Billy
Hi Billy,

This kind of blues is right up my alley.

I thought it was great.

Only suggestions:
1. Add a touch of reverb to your vocals to set them down nice and firmly in the mix.
2. I would love to hear some more of your solo guitar work for a bit of of light and shade.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/20/21 07:29 AM
Thanks, Nigel

I would normally have used some reverb. To tell the truth, I just forgot. I certainly don't have my head together yet. Most likely have several weeks of recovery to go.

I listened to this again this morning and the lead guitar line sounds a little too pleasant. I should have used a bit more vibrato and pushed stuff out of tune slightly. I very much try to stay away from "cliche" blues licks.

This got recorded very much like it would have happened live on stage.

Hope this finds you and yours doing well with the pandemic.

Billy

Billy,

I think this sounds great! Good job!!

smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/22/21 11:22 AM
Billy gotta sing da Blues.

"as raw as it gets" is good in this case. What it should be.

Yes, a touch of reverb would be good.

Have a seat. No strap required. And sometimes, it's allowed.

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/22/21 09:43 PM
The real thing, great job delivering the blues on a platter. A little reverb and delay on the vocal and it's perfect.
Welcome back!

Nice production.

moto
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/24/21 12:06 PM
Yes, classic blues, you nailed it. Authentic, and very original - even for the Blues grin
keep rocking those blues billy mate.
i love that lyric 'see the surgeon girl'.
some really nice clean gtr tones mate.

wishing you a great happy recovery billy.
and a very very long life.

happiness
om
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/24/21 11:17 PM

Thanks, Trev. It turned out better than it had any right to be based on my condition when I sang it...lol

Thanks for the kind words OM. Actually, all that kind of support is really meaningful.

Hope we all get well as there are several here who have health issues at the moment.

Best wishes to all of us.

Billy
Posted By: bluage Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/24/21 11:48 PM
'Planobilly'...

This is the kind of implacable blues that follows you while you're walking down the street, and then reaches out and taps you on the shoulder from behind, daring you to turn around and face it, eye-to-eye, if you're man enough. Preach, brother, preach it, now!

I hope you get better, and soon.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/25/21 09:44 AM
Thank you, bluage for the words of encouragement.
I see progress every day. This has made me work harder at everything I do, recovery, music, and being sensitive to what others are dealing with.

Best wishes to everyone,

Billy
Posted By: Bawb Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/25/21 06:15 PM
Hi Planobilly,

As the ole saying goes, ya can't sing the blues until you done lived them. And it seems brother, ya done lived them... Glad to see you're still above ground! At least you managed to at least get a really good blues song out of it!
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/25/21 09:04 PM
Thank you, Bawb,

I have lived a bit of the blues. Lost my first wife, my dog, and my Guitar...how unlucky can one man be...lol

That is a stolen line from my best old friend Joe "Guitar" Hughes that happens to be true in my case.

Joe passed on. His wife Willie Mae beat me with her shoe in the Evening Shadows Club in Houston, Texas one night accusing me of taking Joe out drugin and drinking. We never done none of that! Wink Wink

Yep, done some blues stuff...lol

Stay safe my friend,

Billy
Raw, soulful, beautiful......just the way it should be!!! I agree with others that you should put a little verb or echo on the vocal. GREAT STUFF!!! Take care. Greg
I see the word authentic typed in the comments...and that pretty much sums it up.

Sounds good, like I'm sitting in bar in Chicago.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/27/21 08:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Raw, soulful, beautiful......just the way it should be!!! I agree with others that you should put a little verb or echo on the vocal. GREAT STUFF!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg for the kind words. I was still pretty ill when I did this. It is pretty rough sounding but perhaps that is a good thing.

Billy
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/27/21 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I see the word authentic typed in the comments...and that pretty much sums it up.

Sounds good, like I'm sitting in a bar in Chicago.

Thank you for the comment. I have not been in a bar on the south side of Chicago for a really long time. Got to play in Checkerboard Club before they closed. Big-time fun stuff.

Billy
Well done and a heckuva way to express the emotions of your experience.

And on top of that ... good blues!

J&B

PS Would love to see the tracks used and the lyric.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/28/21 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well done and a heckuva way to express the emotions of your experience.

And on top of that ... good blues!

J&B

PS Would love to see the tracks used and the lyric.

Hi Janice and Bud. Thank you for the feedback.

I would be glad to put the stems in dropbox and a copy of the lyrics, well as much as got written down.

This was not really a BIAB song, I think, not sure. I used a backing track setting on my computer that got created a long time ago with ??? A current guitar track and the vocal that I played and sang at the same time.

All this was done in a bit of an opioid haze while I should have been in bed. Well...you can't should have done nothing...lol

It is amazing how much I thought I needed to do something musical while I was not entirely sure I would survive everything that was going on. That sort of speaks to what a person considers important.

Billy
Posted By: Scott C Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/29/21 02:28 PM
Love the blues. Awesome vocal and very cool lyric. Loved the tone on the guitar. Backtrack was perfect. Well done.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/29/21 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love the blues. Awesome vocal and very cool lyric. Loved the tone on the guitar. Backtrack was perfect. Well done.

Thank you, Scott. Let's hope 2022 will be better for all of us.

My story I only one of the millions of messed-up things that have happened in the last couple of years. I have not had any news about Keith who is going through surgery now.

I just wish the best for all our friends here on the forum.

Stay safe,

Billy
Posted By: MarioD Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/29/21 08:38 PM
After all you went through you still had the courage to sing about it! Absolutely fantastic!

I love the blues and you hit this one right out of the park. Super vocal and backing tracks.

Loved.

PS - I'm glad that you ain't dead!
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 10/29/21 09:02 PM
Thank you Mario. I am glad I survived this also...lol

Billy
Planobilly, for one take on everything, that's incredible!! Your emotion comes through in the song which is by the way, a pretty darn good blues tune! Hoping the best for your recovery and future musical inspiration! Take care, Torrey.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Death's Door and the escape from hell - 11/01/21 02:47 AM
Thanks for the kind words Torrey. It is very good to not have to feel alone in times like these. Thanks for being there.

Billy
© PG Music Forums