PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder JUMP FOR JOY - 10/20/21 12:00 PM
So some time ago, Floyd told me he was learning to play piano and I said to myself, Dang! I need to do that too!

This is the first song where I am playing the main piano riff as the hook, in a piano-based song. I mixed this riff in with some BIAB generated piano for the really hard and tricky parts like the chorus, but I like the way it all turned out and I had fun jamming with the band and playing the main riffs.

Hope you have as much fun as I did.

smile

JUMP FOR JOY

By David Snyder

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs3/jump-for-joy

V1

I wasn't made to follow any crowd
I wasn't made to do what I am told
But I was made to live young and free forever
And I wasn't made to grow old

PC

I wasn't made to live in darkness
I was made to walk in fields of gold
I have a faith that moves mountains as they say
my kind of faith can't be destroyed, and

Ch

I was made to jump
Oh was made to jump
I was made to jump for joy
I say Hallelujah, and thank you Jesus
Cause I was made to jump for joy

Bridge

And as we walk through the valley of the shadows
I stop to pray and continue on my way

V2

Cause I got good reasons for believing
That we’ll all see the light of day
Each human heart is drawn towards the heavens
Each one of us can still be saved

PC

I wasn't made to be bought by anyone
and I wasn't made to be sold
I have a happiness that comes from up above
Every day was mean to be enjoyed

CH:

PC 1, CH 3

RIDEOUT

David Snyder: Piano, Vocals, Guitar, Synth, Strings, Additional Instrumentation, Production Engineering, Mixing, Mastering

All music and Lyrics copyright 2021 by David Snyder, ASCAP/Day of Faith Records

RealTracks in style: 1592:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 890:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopLite Ev 140
RealDrums [in style:Americana16thsSyncFred^1-a:QuarterHiHat,Snare , b:QuarterRide,Snare

Posted By: Planobilly Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/20/21 12:51 PM
Hi David,

Well...the piano sounds pretty professional and the lyrical content is becoming recognizable as you. The vocals have a very identifiable sound. Good stuff.

There appeared to be a place or two where the mic was overdriven or perhaps the EQ got a little wanky. Other than that more cool stuff from Mr. D.

I too am learning to play the piano which is fun stuff and added a lot to my theoretical understanding of music. Got a Mandolin yesterday and I am learning that...more fun stuff.

I can say that BIAB has more really good piano than most things and combining that with your own piano playing is a win-win.

I think you will find an unlimited number of sounds that can be created with a keyboard and it will become a "must-have" tool.

I do all my bass parts on a keyboard nowadays and rarely pick up my bass guitar.

Keep up the good work.

Billy
Posted By: rsdean Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/20/21 12:55 PM
David,

Great song. Love the way the band kicks in. Awesome vocal as always.

I am a fan...

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/20/21 03:04 PM

Thanks Billy,

I deleted the last version and uploaded a new one, with some corrections.

I know I will have to fiddle with this mix a lot, and will wait for all comments before I do another.

This is the kind of mix you can fiddle with forever.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/20/21 03:38 PM
This mix resolved all the issues that I noticed. 100% better for me but perhaps a little less in-your-face vocal than the first take.

Having grown up in a very different musical world than today I am not always as immediately receptive to a modern motif such as E to Eb.

Also, I have not commented much here on this forum because I have little real knowledge about how to actually fix things in a mix. I have always been the player in the studio and not the engineer. I only can say what I hear and how that affects me.

I have learned that perfection does not exist and sometimes when you get too close to it is not a good thing. So-called mistakes are what make great songs.

Trust your gut.

Billy
Posted By: David Snyder Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/20/21 04:20 PM
Thanks.

I got easily pull the vocal mix up in part 2 of the song, just a smidgen, but it is running pretty hot to I will only do it if I have to.

This is a tricky mix. I am trying for a certain build that requires a tricky balancing act on the high wire.

Also going to Eb in the chorus in a song in the key of C is where all the fun is Billy.

Anybody can go to G.

smile

Well, technically, the note is G but the chord is Eb.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/21/21 03:38 PM

Thanks Bob!

smile

I posted a new version. This mix is driving me crazy. Gonna let it rest for a while. Piano mixing is hard.

Hmmmmmm.......
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/21/21 08:53 PM
The arrangement on this has a nice blend of "upbeat" and "rebel" vibes to it that I definitely appreciate! I think you did a great job.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/21/21 11:13 PM
First piano song..........wow!
You done good!

moto
Posted By: dcuny Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 04:22 AM
The piano riff works well.

Over my speakers, the vocal seems to sit far in the back and at times is overwhelmed by the instruments.

The background vocals are cool.

Fun song!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 06:29 AM
Nice job on the piano, David! Quite impressive.

For me, as the song progresses the vocal seems to get more and more buried in the mix. But man, you have so much stuff going on ... not sure how best to deal with it.

Overall a good song, I like the concept.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 11:20 AM
Hi David,

You always have good, interesting lyrics, with surprising perspectives from which your song starts!
This one is no exception. The extra surprise is you are the pianoman!
I think you did a good job on that thing.
I use my keyboard (alternative for a piano...) for all sorts of support, like strings, background choirs etcetera.
The only thing I couldn't use it for is playing a piano. While you did it very well. Hat off!

I only had some problems with your vocals, what I never had before on your songs. They sound far away (like some others said too, I read), but also as if you were singing from under a blanket. Not bright. How come?
I was always jealous you could shout and scream in your mic and still stay out of clipping. Look if you accidentally pushed some wrong button while recording, or mixing, or mastering.

But a nice melody, good lyrics and good piano play. So all together an A+!

Hans
Posted By: jannesan Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 12:03 PM
Strong lyrics expressed nicely with an interesting arrangement. The piano brings some Bruce Hornsby feeling and the bassline presents nicely the inverted chords. Vocals and the piano riff get bit buried in the mix, this has kind of a live concert feel so I could imagine a big gospel choir to replace guitars and synths/strings. But the jumping and joy are very well present.

Janne
Posted By: David Snyder Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 01:05 PM

Thanks Ember!

Very kind and sweet of you to say!

I am still working on this mix from forum feedback and have my work cut out for me but I am determined to learn some new skills!!

smile

Using a booming piano as the main instrument turns everything upside down. It is not the same as a guitar mix!

Much learning ahead for me!
Posted By: Bawb Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 03:31 PM
Hi David,
Brilliant writing with such bold, confident lyrics. Your musical arrangement/instruments were outstanding. It really set the mood for your song. Really good listen, thanks for posting. It was very uplifting for the spirit!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 04:48 PM
David,

Cool Piano, Dude!

And a very cool sounding song start to finish. The second half is especially nice. Big, melodic, anthem-ic.

Good job on the vocals. Good mix.

Great sounding track.

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 06:04 PM
David

Nice build, and the piano basis of the song is good.

Can appreciate the issues with mixing this, a lot happening!

Good stuff.

Peter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 09:14 PM
Very cool David!!! Love your piano groove!! Song is very catchy and passionate.....DIG IT!! Just commented on the Americana drums in the last song I heard.....they sound great! Take care. Greg
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 10:38 PM
Have always been a huge fan of your singing. This was great, but my only ding is the vocal needed to be louder. I can hear how this was tricky to mix and maybe that's the loudest you could make the vocal. Still enjoyed it immensely.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/22/21 10:45 PM

Thanks Captain!

I see I have some more comments here but am about to unplug and go off the grid so I will be back in a week.

See y'all then!

smile

Have fun on here.
Posted By: Scott C Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/23/21 01:33 PM
Really cool song. Piano was excellent. Super backtrack and vocal. Well done
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/27/21 11:18 PM
Good on you David for picking a up a new instrument! It will open up new musical vista's for you! Beautiful tune!! T
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/29/21 10:24 AM
Nice piano mashup!

Excellent write, performances and the arrangement is most effective.

That RT bass really glued it all together.

Well done,

J&B
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 10/29/21 10:37 AM
Nicely done, David. Excellent lyrics and a wonderfully universal message. Well produced and I like the use of the ooze and oz. Nice start on the piano, too, and maybe someday you and Floyd will do a 2-piano piece.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 11/06/21 02:37 PM

Thanks David, I will work on those vocals!

smile
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: JUMP FOR JOY - 11/07/21 03:32 PM
"I wasn't made to follow any crowd" Yup, that's me too. Great lyrics.

I love what you did with the piano. It gives the song a distinctive sound.

Awesome production build in the latter half of the song.
© PG Music Forums