PG Music Home
Posted By: jakestone161 New Song - Open Door - 10/26/21 12:54 AM
This is my first post in the User Show Case. This song was made using BIAB.

OPEN DOOR

Key C
Tempo: 75 bpm
Hybrid Style:
Bass: ~2428:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed, Held Ev 085
Cello: 1856:Cello, Backbround, PopCountry Ev 085
Drums: RealDrums=DrivingPop8th^03-a:Kick, b:Open Hat, Snare
Bass 2: 908: Bass, Electric, SmoothBallad Ev 16 065

I recorded the rhythm and lead guitars and sing the vocals, while BIAB does all the rest. The lead guitar has a harmonic tremolo effect and very heavy reverb, that I guess might sound a little like slide or steel guitar, maybe. I was trying to do my best Mike Campbell “You Got Lucky”.

Personally, I consider this classic rock. When I wrote it, I was in the headspace of Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen, but people that have heard it say it reminds them of Johnny Cash, so you be the judge.

I recorded the rhythm guitar, used the AutoChord analyzer and then loaded up my WAV file into BAIB and played with the styles until I found something that I liked. Then I recorded the vocals & lead guitar after the other tracks were in place. The cello & bowed bass drop out on the chorus and the electric bass comes in. I recorded and mixed with a combination of Reaper and Audacity.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/26/21 02:29 PM
Jake,

An interesting recording. Unique, different, original. A very dark piece (especially since it is about your door always being open).

I'll be interested in seeing what else comes out of your studio and BIAB...

Welcome to the Showcase.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/26/21 08:33 PM
Welcome to Showcase Jake. Really liked the backtrack. Interesting vocal delivery and lyric. Very ominous..
Posted By: jakestone161 Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/26/21 09:28 PM
Thank you, FJ. The lyrics are dark because it is about a dark subject, a person who stopped talking to me, through no fault of my own.
Posted By: jakestone161 Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/26/21 09:29 PM
Thank you, Scott. The lyrics are ominous because it is about a dark subject, a person who stopped talking to me, through no fault of my own.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/26/21 10:19 PM
I definitely see the sort of darker tone you took with this. I also saw the note you mentioned on the song itself about how some people said the delivery of your lyrics reminded them of Johnny Cash a little bit. I can see what they mean! I liked the arrangement you made for the backing tracks and I think they pair well with your vocals. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/27/21 12:11 PM
Congrats on your debut.

Rather unique presentation.

The vibe I'm getting from that open door is, it's one of many in a fun house at a psychedelic circus.

moto
Posted By: jakestone161 Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/29/21 10:37 AM
Thank you!
Posted By: jakestone161 Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/29/21 10:40 AM
Thank you, Captain. That is a great line, one of many doors in a fun house a psychedelic circus. laugh
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song - Open Door - 10/31/21 06:51 PM
Maybe it's the title, but I made an association with The Doors.....the song has that surreal, stream of consciousness feel that Jim Morrison loved to play around with......very interesting Avant Garde piece you have created!! Very creative use of BIAB!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums