PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/26/21 11:41 AM
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/on-a-morning?si=f2f2a2fe8b28479f864c42379230332a

Hi everyone,

On a day Scott Collingwood mailed me we had to make a song. That was some weeks ago. Actually we did two songs and were very busy guys then. In between he also made a song of his own, Twin City, but I had to write the lyrics for the two songs. Whatever. This song is called On a morning, and is a more happy song than my last song about how the dice fall.

It covers a long period of time in a relationship. I got inspired by some some of the BiaB styles I normally won't use: Bubblegum pop and Austere, Hip Hop. And I used them together. One for the first part and the other for the last part of the song
I altered some instruments, added other drums and a baritone in it and on my keyboard let the background singers sing 'pom pom pom'. They are the ladies from Realivox I use more often.

Scott played a beautiful leadguitar and wasn't even shocked by this melody. In fact it was he who pursuaded me in finishing this song. It was nice playing with Scott!
So here it is. And I hope you like it.

The lyrics are on soundcloud.
In a few days the other song ('Just a song') will also be released.

Hans

=========================================================
Technicals
It was a bit difficult to retrieve all the instruments from the song memo. Here I have a bit of an extract:
BUBLPOP.STY (Bubblegum Pop, Heavy Beat)

RealTracks in song: 1174:Bass,
RealTracks in stijl: 1861:Synth, Euro Dance Chorus House Piano Off Beat Gel16 120
RealTracks in song: 2746:Synth, AltHipHop Pad 8sten Gel16 85
RealTracks in song: 2747:Synth, AltHipHop Horn Gel16 85
RealTracks in song: 2743:Bass, Synth, AltHipHop 8sten Gel16 85
RealDrums [in Song:FunkDisco: a: Kick, HiHatb: Kick, Closing HiHat
And a baritone, a funcky guitar and some more.
Posted By: rayc Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/26/21 07:37 PM
Nice one Hans & Scott.
I'd have preferred to hear the lead intro centred but that's not a deal breaker.
Nice narrative and an UP vibe.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/27/21 12:35 AM
Hi Scott,

Great song and excellent guitar intro - could have done with some more fills and breaks from that guitarist.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/27/21 07:20 AM
First of all, an excellent song!

I agree with Ray about the (very cool) guitar intro, it should be centered, or at least not panned so aggressively. Also I don't think you should have dropped the volume so much on that last lick just before the vocal comes in.

Great vocal, Hans, and I always enjoy hearing Scott do his thing.

Cool changeup at 2:48, really well done.

Enjoyed this one, guys, well done!
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/27/21 09:03 PM
Thanks Ray, Nigel and Dave. I went back and revisited and one of my amps was clipped a little harder by a compressor. Thanks for the heads up. Glad you liked the song.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/27/21 09:09 PM
Good stuff there MR. Scott. I enjoyed the listen.

Billy
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/27/21 10:29 PM
A nice fresh upbeat song!

Well done.

moto
Posted By: rsdean Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 06:32 AM
Hans & Scott,

Love the feel of this song. Some great guitar and a cool vocal.

Awesome arrangement and mix!

Bob
Posted By: Birchwood Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 10:38 AM
Hi Billy, Moto and Bob, as well as Ray, Nigel an Dave,

Thanks for all for your nice comments and remarks.
Because of what you said, Ray, Nigel and Dave, I altered the song a bit. I did that panning for the leadguitar to let it comes in from left or right, while playing. But because of the comments on that I removed it all and centered it, except for the last piece of the solo in the bridge. I also tried to gain the volume of the solo at the time I start singing. There was a little problem with that as Scott explained it to you, but it must sound better now.

On some posts I hesitated to answer them, because they where for Scott. I asked Scott to answer them if he wants. I only thank you for the nice words you used about the song.

Regards,
Hans
Posted By: jannesan Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 11:16 AM
Nice story full of love, smiling and singing.
Nice heavy (heartbeat) rhythm, the drums, synths and guitars work very well together.
I enjoyed your collaboration, Scott's guitar seems to fit excellently with every kind of style and that bridge part is especially delicious smile

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 03:14 PM
Hans and Scott, nice work by you both! All the guitar fills sound super! Hans, your vocals are excellent again! Your songs always have interesting melodic structure...they often remind me of Al Stewart's work. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: floyd jane Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 04:26 PM
Hans & Scott,

Good one. A very catchy tune. Interesting and original.

Interesting BAND. Well mixed. Good job on the vocals and harmonies, Hans!

Scott's guitar sounds great.

Enjoyed the listen.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Scott,

Great song and excellent guitar intro - could have done with some more fills and breaks from that guitarist.

Best Regards
Nigel

Hans & Scott I agree with Nigel. IMHO the constant lead guitar, although excellent chops and tone, distracts from the vocal, i.e. more like you did toward the end of this.

Excellent song, strong vocal, outstanding guitar chops, and good lyrics make this a very good song.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 06:04 PM
Hi Hans and Scott,

Good work! Very pleasant song to listen to. I hope you will continue to work together - seems like a good collaboration.

Thanks for sharing!
Will
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/28/21 09:49 PM
Nice work. Good lyrics. The bouncy and upbeat melody is catchy. Good hook line in chorus. Scott's electric guitar work is thrilling as always.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/29/21 10:54 AM
Wow!! Great job, you two. I always liked your vocals, Hans, and Scott's guitar sounds are one of my favorites. I like the way he takes the song and makes it his own. Great taste and technique, Scott. Your lyric writing is always top-notch, Hans --a brilliant thinker in my book. This song has a magically catchy feel, and an upbeat mood that begs for replay.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/30/21 05:18 AM
Hello Janne, Torrey and Floyd,

Thank you so much for listening and commenting on the song. It was nice working with Scott to develop the song and it's nice to read you appreciated that effort.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice story full of love, smiling and singing.
Nice heavy (heartbeat) rhythm, the drums, synths and guitars work very well together.
I enjoyed your collaboration, Scott's guitar seems to fit excellently with every kind of style and that bridge part is especially delicious smile
Janne

Hi Janne, yes as I said, and you too, it was nice working together. Only on that bridge part I had to extend that high sound of his guitar to let it end where i started with the second part of the song. Now I am doing a course in doing these things better and easier. so never to old to learn, don't you think?

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Hans and Scott, nice work by you both! All the guitar fills sound super! Hans, your vocals are excellent again! Your songs always have interesting melodic structure...they often remind me of Al Stewart's work. Thanks, Torrey

Well Torrey, I must become famous by now! On The Dice you compared me with Billy Joel and now with Al Steward. Bud says I sounded like John Lennon and I am getting schizophrenic if I don't watch out. But of course I am more than pleased to hear all your nice compliments. Still I stay Hans...

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans & Scott,
Good one. A very catchy tune. Interesting and original.
Interesting BAND. Well mixed. Good job on the vocals and harmonies, Hans!
Scott's guitar sounds great.
Enjoyed the listen.

fj

Hi Floyd, thanks for your nice words! I was hesitating about this song. I had it lying on a shelf for over a month, not knowing if this 'bubblegum'pop and HipHop would be nice enough. Then Scott came in and he liked the tune. I still had to make some lyrics, but what about? Then I saw my wife with our first (new) grandchild, smiling and than the idea for the lyrics were there. Keyword: smiling.
And Scott made me do that with his guitarplay.

I heard the virus nightmare is again amongst us, so stay safe,
Hans
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/30/21 11:07 AM
nice gtr.
really like those femme bgv's.
cute lyrics.
nice lead 2/22 etc.

best
om
Posted By: PeterF Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/30/21 05:29 PM
Hans & Scott

Good work - by both of you. Different and entertaining. Nice build.

Scott has developed an instantly recognizable style and sound which is an impressive thing in itself.

Well sung and composed.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/31/21 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
First of all, an excellent song!

I agree with Ray about the (very cool) guitar intro, it should be centered, or at least not panned so aggressively. Also I don't think you should have dropped the volume so much on that last lick just before the vocal comes in.

Great vocal, Hans, and I always enjoy hearing Scott do his thing.

Cool changeup at 2:48, really well done.

Enjoyed this one, guys, well done!

Thanks Dave Hans adjusted the intro. Really glad you liked the song.
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/31/21 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Good stuff there MR. Scott. I enjoyed the listen.

Billy

Thanks Billy Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/31/21 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Scott,

Best Regards
Nigel

Hans & Scott I agree with Nigel. IMHO the constant lead guitar, although excellent chops and tone, distracts from the vocal, i.e. more like you did toward the end of this.

Excellent song, strong vocal, outstanding guitar chops, and good lyrics make this a very good song.

Thanks Mario for checking out the song. Next song will have the guitar spaced out a little better
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/31/21 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Hans and Scott,

Good work! Very pleasant song to listen to. I hope you will continue to work together - seems like a good collaboration.

Thanks for sharing!
Will

Thanks Will for checking out the song. Glad you liked it. You never know when a new song from us will becoming down the pipe ;-)
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 10/31/21 07:12 PM
Always nice to see another collab emerge from the forum crew!! Nice song!! Love the guitar licks! And, always love Hans's vocals!! Nice stuff guys!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/02/21 11:48 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice work. Good lyrics. The bouncy and upbeat melody is catchy. Good hook line in chorus. Scott's electric guitar work is thrilling as always.

Thanks for checking out the song appreciate the comments on the guitar work. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Wow!! Great job, you two. I always liked your vocals, Hans, and Scott's guitar sounds are one of my favorites. I like the way he takes the song and makes it his own. Great taste and technique, Scott. Your lyric writing is always top-notch, Hans --a brilliant thinker in my book. This song has a magically catchy feel, and an upbeat mood that begs for replay.

Thanks Marty for the kind words. I really enjoy working with Hans. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
nice gtr.
really like those femme bgv's.
cute lyrics.
nice lead 2/22 etc.

best
om

Thanks for checking out the song. Your comments are very much appreciated

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans & Scott

Good work - by both of you. Different and entertaining. Nice build.

Scott has developed an instantly recognizable style and sound which is an impressive thing in itself.

Well sung and composed.

Peter

Thanks Peter for checking out the song. Thanks for commenting on the guitar work. Was glad to add my guitar to one of Hans songs. Glad you liked it
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/03/21 06:03 PM
Such a cool song. All sort of things going on to keep you interested all around a really nice groove. Love the rhythms you are singing as well. Background vox, guitar...you name it. Totally diggin it!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/04/21 06:10 PM
"It is you, you are smiling
It is me, melting from the start
It is we, forever
That's going sky high straight to my heart"

Now that is a nice sentiment.

A signature voice and a signature guitar join forces for an enjoyable song!
Excellent guitar chops, lead/harmony vocal and a tight mix.

And the arrangement was very engaging. Cool changeup also.

Fine collab y'all!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/04/21 06:25 PM
Nice. That guitar was right there in my face. Sounded good to me.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/05/21 01:21 PM
Hello Greg, Hear to learn, Janice and Bud and Guitarhacker,

Nice that you listened to the song and your friendly comment on it.
The song was our first trial together and also a strange one concerning some instruments. but we liked it and now you too!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Always nice to see another collab emerge from the forum crew!!
Nice song!!
Love the guitar licks!
And, always love Hans's vocals!!
Nice stuff guys!!
Take care.
Greg

Hi Greg, that was some nice comment! A few lines let me/ us smile from ear to ear. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Such a cool song. All sort of things going on to keep you interested all around a really nice groove. Love the rhythms you are singing as well. Background vox, guitar...you name it. Totally diggin it!

Hi Aaron, that is a nice way of saying how the song came to you. I'm glad you like it. We will do our best to let you dig it more when we come with our latest song!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"It is you, you are smiling
It is me, melting from the start
It is we, forever
That's going sky high straight to my heart"

Now that is a nice sentiment.

A signature voice and a signature guitar join forces for an enjoyable song!
Excellent guitar chops, lead/harmony vocal and a tight mix.

And the arrangement was very engaging. Cool changeup also.
Fine collab y'all!

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud, I do my very best on the lyrics since I can't sing like John nomore... That's why i am so glad to find Scott on my site. Not that he said a word about the lyrics, but that was enough for me. Otherwise he would have messed up with the solo too.
Have you danced on the second part of this song, Janice?
Wait till our new one comes out...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice. That guitar was right there in my face. Sounded good to me.

Hi Guitarhacker, although you said nothing about my performance, I'm still glad with your post. You liked the song and that's a good thing for me too. And yes, Scott had his solo almost at once, so the rest of the time was to mix the song in a proper way.
Thanks for listening.

Enjoyed your posts,
Hans
Posted By: edshaw Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/05/21 07:11 PM
Glad I got to hear this, Hans. Go, Scott C.!
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/06/21 07:59 PM
Thanks Aaron, Janice and Bud, Herb and Ed for the kind words. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/07/21 08:00 AM
Hello Scott
Cool song
I like the sound
The vocals are perfect
Great job
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Way to start a song with that opening guitar!

Nice retro feel with the BG vocals.

I love listening to these collaborations. Keep them coming!
Posted By: Scott C Re: On a morning, a song with Scott... - 11/07/21 11:15 PM
Thanks Andi. Working with Hans has been a pleasure. Very creative lyricist and song writer. Glad you liked the song
© PG Music Forums