PG Music Home
Posted By: Killer New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/27/21 01:10 PM
Song two from my collection of scary songs, "Three At Midnight," ' Cyanide And A Wedding Ring

Inspired by a conversation about why long-term partners suddenly marry when one of them is diagnosed with a terminal illness (a cheery li'l chat, I think you'll agree). Of course, it's about the money. It's ALWAYS about the money. Anyway, I came up with the phrase "Cyanide and A Wedding Ring" and made this Dave Edmundsesque jolly jaunty toe-tapping rocker from it. Not to mention the title: I've always loved Deke Leonard's music (who was an old friend of Dave Edmunds) and he came up with some superb song titles, for instance, "Broken Glass & Lime Juice" & "Razor Blade and Rattlesnake"

https://soundcloud.com/billy_sollox/cyanide-a-wedding-ring?si=9d5dc9798a4e431781411fc6c1d8a688
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/27/21 09:25 PM
Cynical fun!

Jump'n little ditty!

Cool!

moto
Posted By: Planobilly Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/27/21 10:01 PM
Good stuff. I like songs like this, fun, and fun to listen to.

Billy
Posted By: rayc Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/28/21 01:56 AM
I fancy Dave would want his guitars a little higher in the general mix. The solo is WAY loud but quite enjoyable when it sits in a space for long enough.
Nice use of reverb on the main vocal to achieve the period feel, ( an homage to a homage).
Enjoyable.
Posted By: Killer Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/28/21 03:45 AM
Thank you. Yes, it struck us as cynical but practical too - apparently here in the UK the spouse pays less (or no) tax when (s)he inherits.
Posted By: Killer Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/28/21 03:45 AM
Thanks Billy

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Good stuff. I like songs like this, fun, and fun to listen to.

Billy
Posted By: Killer Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/28/21 03:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Ray, I'll have a listen and possible remix of the guitars and particularly that guitar solo. Like the 'homage to an homage' phrase.

Originally Posted By: rayc
I fancy Dave would want his guitars a little higher in the general mix. The solo is WAY loud but quite enjoyable when it sits in a space for long enough.
Nice use of reverb on the main vocal to achieve the period feel, ( an homage to a homage).
Enjoyable.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/28/21 11:38 AM
What a surprise, Killer!

After your introduction of the song, I thaught I would listen to a slow, mean song, but there you came with a very good rocker!
Nice vocals in it and a nice, funny panned solo. I don't think it's too loud, but the panning effect could give that feeling.
Unforunally I couldn't understand all you sang, so I still have to guess about the cyanide and how it is connected to the wedding ring.
Good band, good performance!

Hans
Posted By: Killer Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/29/21 10:04 AM
Thanks Hans, I've had a listen on a few different speakers and I think the bass needs to be quiter, drums and guitars higher, then I reckon I can probably leave the guitar solo alone.

I'm not really sure how the cyanide relates to the wedding ring either, it just struck me as a funny, weird phrase. And of course, it's just a pop song, it doesn't have to make sense grin

My favourite lyric of all time:- "We can't even think up a word that rhymes," Alice Cooper, School's Out

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
What a surprise, Killer!

After your introduction of the song, I thaught I would listen to a slow, mean song, but there you came with a very good rocker!
Nice vocals in it and a nice, funny panned solo. I don't think it's too loud, but the panning effect could give that feeling.
Unforunally I couldn't understand all you sang, so I still have to guess about the cyanide and how it is connected to the wedding ring.
Good band, good performance!

Hans
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/29/21 10:12 AM
Wow! I was sitting comfortable until I pushed Play. You're right, Killer (no relation to Jerry Lee I assume), that makes for a cheery chat for sure. And you really turned it into a fun romp.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/31/21 03:59 PM
Sounds great Killer!
Did you use realtracks/real drums here! Either way you've achieved a super sounding song! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Cyanide & A Wedding Ring - 10/31/21 07:15 PM
An appropriate title from someone who goes by the handle "Killer"! Fun song!! Good vibe, and nice live feel!! Well done!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums