PG Music Home
Hello Folks,
This started out with the simple Slow Reggae style.
Origins of JLMK
It may see the light of day as a reggae song as Misha did some guitar treatments and drums for that iteration of the song. Babu also had a look'n'listen at the reggae version and recommends that go forward as well.
BUT, given the left n right turns some folk have made of late I decided to let the Real Tracks take me where they will.
Into the basic reggae style I add a glitchy bass just to see how it sat.
That was dangerous because I like its IYF loudness and rudeness.
It also reminded me of The Flaming Lip, (Flaming Hands are a FABULOUS Oz band & I typed the wrong one initially)...I took that as the starting point.
Various synths were added along with an acoustic guitar while lots of holes were punched in the basic reggae rhythm section. The bass has almost all the bottom end as the kick is almost all slap/thwack in this set.
The vocals were an impression that became stronger as I progressed through it.
Lyrics are pretty light weight.
Unusually for me this is 96% BIAB. I'll add details later.
JLMK v2
Here's a mix that does quite a few of the things FJ & Cpt Moto referred to...but not all...
Calmer

Just, just let me know
If you want me
In life it was
and will not be
A game to play
Will you play fair
or take your fee
Just, just let me know ow

Talking the talk
Wander and walk
We just orbit each other
& then we duck for cover
If you can't leave your phone
If you can't get in the zone
Take it from me
It's not meant to be
That's for free

Just, just let me know
if you want me
In life it was
and will not be
A game to play
Will you speak it
and set me free

Speaking the words
It seems absurd
We confuse each other
Can we both recover
If you won't come out to play
You won't find a way
Take it from me
It's not meant to be
That's for free

Just, just let me know
if you want me
In life it was
and will not be
A game to play
To ensure their own
victory

Just, just let me know
if you want me
It's like it
was and will not be
its a game to play
Within your hands
what will it be?

Synths - 2974 & 2948
Drums Reggae Classic & programmed kit by Misha for reggae
Pedal steel 3206
Ac Gtr 1600
lead gtr Pipeline User Track
Rhythm Misha/Ken User track
Clavinet (heavily treated)
Strings (blended with steel).
Glitch Bass 2948
Reggae Bass 1153
You KNOW I really like this, Ray. Although I like reggae, it's not my style on bass. I always liked the vocals on the version you sent me, and I'm glad you brought them up in the mix. I KNEW you'd do the bass track far better than I could. I love the sparseness with the occasional flares of cool --just like those bass cats from the island. Misha's guitars are so good. This is an interesting and unusual song in the reggae realm.
Ray,

COOL. Listened several times.

Bravo to you for stretching and experimenting! Interesting! to say the least!!!

A few thoughts - (opinions. "I think"'s...)
The vocals should come up just a bit.
The pads and other "different" tracks should be a bit more subtle - more in-the-background.
The bass is VERY cool - but I thought (see) that it should be a-bit-more-defined in its mid-range.
This screams for some contemporary percussion (though you might be strongly opposed to that) - some off-beat kicks, some fingersnaps, some soft claps, etc.

Misha's guitars sound great!

I like it. A lot!

fj
Hello Ray
I would say the experiment has succeeded
There are many really good sounds
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Ray,

The pads and other "different" tracks should be a bit more subtle - more in-the-background.
The bass is VERY cool - but I thought (see) that it should be a-bit-more-defined in its mid-range.
This screams for some contemporary percussion (though you might be strongly opposed to that) - some off-beat kicks, some fingersnaps, some soft claps, etc.

I like it. A lot!

fj

Everything fj said!

Moto
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
You KNOW I really like this, Ray. Although I like reggae, it's not my style on bass. I always liked the vocals on the version you sent me, and I'm glad you brought them up in the mix. I KNEW you'd do the bass track far better than I could. I love the sparseness with the occasional flares of cool --just like those bass cats from the island. Misha's guitars are so good. This is an interesting and unusual song in the reggae realm.

Thanks Marty,
Stay safe.
Ray,
I like it. A lot!
fj

Thanks FJ,
I'll try those things & suss out if they fit in my head as well as the song.
The bass...it's odd...it holds the bottom end because the drums don't have a real thump in the kick. I'll tweak.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Ray,

I like it. A lot!

fj

Everything fj said!

Moto

Thanks Cpt.,
Every thing in the reply to FJ is for you too.
Hi Ray, Misha and Babu,

I listened to JLMK-2 and I agree you were experimenting the whole song through!
Although, I couldn't discover the reggae tune you mentioned, or maybe far in the distance...
I agree with Floyd the vocals need to come up a bit more, but so needs that acoustic guitar.

But I also must admit the song is not my kind of music. It's too psychedelic and abtract for me.
I like a "normal"melody. This is too complicated to listen to. One song I just did and now I need a glass of rum...

Stay safe over there,
Hans
What a super job on this Ray! My favorite part is what you did with vocals...they are excellent! All the effects saturated stuff going on panned to the sides really add a cool element to this! It's a really interesting and enjoyable piece! Thanks, Torrey
Very different tune in a good way. Well done
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray, Misha and Babu,

I listened to JLMK-2 and I agree you were experimenting the whole song through!
Although, I couldn't discover the reggae tune you mentioned, or maybe far in the distance...
I agree with Floyd the vocals need to come up a bit more, but so needs that acoustic guitar.

But I also must admit the song is not my kind of music. It's too psychedelic and abtract for me.
I like a "normal"melody. This is too complicated to listen to. One song I just did and now I need a glass of rum...

Stay safe over there,
Hans

Hans,
Thank you.
The reggae version is the very 1st link.
The drums, bass n solo guitar in the one you listened to are from the reggae te,plate or user tracks.
No problems that is too psych/abstract...
this was the inspiration/source... Flaming Lips Fight Test which is pretty "normal" for the band while this is a little further out there in terms of bits n pieces flying through a song... Sympathy 3000/21
Thanks for persevering through the song. Rum? Yum, it was my fav tipple when I drank.
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
What a super job on this Ray! My favorite part is what you did with vocals...they are excellent! All the effects saturated stuff going on panned to the sides really add a cool element to this! It's a really interesting and enjoyable piece! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey,
The vocals were difficult and required some correction but it's sort of okay.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very different tune in a good way. Well done

Thanks mate.
I went with "Calmer" version and it sounded good. Very experimental sound. Good mix. Lyrics came out good. Good you have forum friends to give a hand. It paid off. Neat song.
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Ray
I would say the experiment has succeeded
There are many really good sounds
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi.
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
I went with "Calmer" version and it sounded good. Very experimental sound. Good mix. Lyrics came out good. Good you have forum friends to give a hand. It paid off. Neat song.

Thanks jptx3,
yes, collaborators and helpful folk abound in this forum.
We're down with #1 and 3. #1 had the classic reggae sound we are familiar with (having listened to reggae off and on over the years) and experimented with a few productions. You nailed that bass vibe.

#3 comments:

Reading your post and responses before listening I wondered if #3 would be more reggaeton in nature, i.e. more of a dance style reggae. Happily I was wrong smile as It sounds like a mashup of music experiments that worked out extremely well. Whatever you did with the vocal track sounds most cool as does the entire production.

We enjoyed all three and especially where it landed.

J&B

Very interesting Ray.

These are some cool sounds, and I like the vocals. The blend of the sounds is so soft that it is easy to listen to, as simple as that might sound.

I would keep experimenting with this level of smoothness and simplicity.

I think you're on to something.

smile
Ray, I think all three sounded fine to me.

Experimenting and improvisation is been challenging and fun.
Ray,
I am not sure how I ended up in this? I assume you are talking about User Track that I shared by Ken. I am just a middle man smile
Cool moozik experiment. I do not know if I can call it reggae. I think (and I might be very wrong) it is inline with Dub music.
I salute you for trying out something completely, outside-the-box different. It is inspirational piece. Sort of a clay that you can shape it any way you like. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We're down with #1 and 3. #1 had the classic reggae sound we are familiar with (having listened to reggae off and on over the years) and experimented with a few productions. You nailed that bass vibe.

#3 comments:

Reading your post and responses before listening I wondered if #3 would be more reggaeton in nature, i.e. more of a dance style reggae. Happily I was wrong smile as It sounds like a mashup of music experiments that worked out extremely well. Whatever you did with the vocal track sounds most cool as does the entire production.

We enjoyed all three and especially where it landed.

J&B

Thanks J&B,
I experimented while pondering how to break free of the cookie cutter approach in the style. Both Babu & Rustyspoon gave direction and comments to move it forward.
THANKS.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Very interesting Ray.

These are some cool sounds, and I like the vocals. The blend of the sounds is so soft that it is easy to listen to, as simple as that might sound.

I would keep experimenting with this level of smoothness and simplicity.

I think you're on to something.

smile

Ta David,
it came together fairly easily once I decided to let BIAB go for it.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Ray, I think all three sounded fine to me.

Experimenting and improvisation is been challenging and fun.

Phanque Mario,
Music is all of that.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
I am not sure how I ended up in this? I assume you are talking about User Track that I shared by Ken. I am just a middle man smile
Cool moozik experiment. I do not know if I can call it reggae. I think (and I might be very wrong) it is inline with Dub music.
I salute you for trying out something completely, outside-the-box different. It is inspirational piece. Sort of a clay that you can shape it any way you like. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha,
bits of the guitar tracks you prepared and sent to me are in the mix in spots. Your ongoing experimentation was massive encouragement.
I was only able to get the first link to work. The second and third said that the track couldnt' be found and may have been removed.

Production sounds great in my headphones with the balance and aural spacing (I don't know if that is the term) of the instruments. I would bring the vocals up a touch in the mix.

The lead guitar at 3:00 sounded different but "cool." I wasn't to sure be your description what that was.
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I was only able to get the first link to work. The second and third said that the track couldnt' be found and may have been removed.

Production sounds great in my headphones with the balance and aural spacing (I don't know if that is the term) of the instruments. I would bring the vocals up a touch in the mix.

The lead guitar at 3:00 sounded different but "cool." I wasn't to sure be your description what that was.

Thank you sir,
the final version is in a post of its own. I had to removed the two missing ones from Soundcloud as it was full. Unfortunately I was unable to edit the OP to prevent you from clicking dead links.
© PG Music Forums