PG Music Home
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Fade into the Sun - 11/07/21 07:38 PM
Fade into the Sun

There's no real story behind this song. Unlike my previous track, I didn't have a purpose when I started. I was just guitar doodling with some chords and came up with the chorus melody and lyrics, and then built the rest of the song around that. Here it is with all the blemishes.

Tracks:
RT1814 Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CelticAir
RT3290 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticReelDADGAD
RT2046 Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryPopJohn
RT2452 String Quartet, Rhythm PopSwingHall
RT3458 Bass, Electric, AmericanaPop
RealDrums-CountryPopBallad

I never took from her
Anything she didn’t give.
She gave me everything,
But we could never outlive
The time that’s falling from the wall.
She really isn’t mine at all

She’ll cross my world over,
And when she we wants to go,
She’ll fade into the sun.

When I gazed upon her face,
She burned into my mind.
I couldn’t turn away.
Stricken. Love at first blind.
The moon has lost its evening glow.
What doesn’t she want me to know?

When I hold her close and fast‒
Might this time be the last?

Posted By: Bawb Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/07/21 08:18 PM
Wow Scott,
What a nice, easy listening piece. Kind of has a 60's vibe to it. Almost like a Birds or Joni Mitchell song. It shows good proof of your versatility. The vocals sounded great and went well with the music. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/07/21 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Wow Scott,
What a nice, easy listening piece. Kind of has a 60's vibe to it. Almost like a Birds or Joni Mitchell song. It shows good proof of your versatility. The vocals sounded great and went well with the music. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen.

I agree!

You should doodle around with your guitar more often.

Super groove and some outstanding guitar chops, well done.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/07/21 08:47 PM
Love the chord progression and the catchy feel of the melody. I'd like to hear you do more like this. Nice work!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/08/21 08:51 AM
Lovely sounding song Scott! I especially like like the pre-chorus and bridge sections. You always craft really nice melodies and do excellent work with your vocals! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/08/21 11:09 AM
You doodle so well with such an amazing result, Scott. Your magic in writing lyrics adds to the already cool changes. Excellent vocals as always. The mix highlights your dynamics perfectly.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/08/21 12:10 PM
An excellent listen! Captivating.

Good vocals and harmonies. Terrific arrangement - the two guitars work together nicely and the quartet puts it over the top - nice choice.

There is a "Donovan vibe" to this (or any of the best of the 60's AM radio groups).

Nice write.

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/08/21 07:18 PM
Yep, the pre chorus is killer.
Nicely done.
A solid package of nice arrangement, solid melody and good narrative.
Two things that struck me were: a) the phrasing of "love at 1st sight"...but the mind wants what the mind wants and it's just a reflection of me & b) some essing - very occasionally.
Ace
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/10/21 10:03 PM
Wow Scott,

Thanks, Bawb. I've been listening to a lot of 60s, especially the Monkees, lately on Spotify.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Wow Scott,

I agree!

You should doodle around with your guitar more often.

Super groove and some outstanding guitar chops, well done.

Thank you, Mario!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Love the chord progression and the catchy feel of the melody. I'd like to hear you do more like this. Nice work!

I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks!
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Lovely sounding song Scott! I especially like like the pre-chorus and bridge sections. You always craft really nice melodies and do excellent work with your vocals! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks once again for you kind assessments, Torrey!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/10/21 10:07 PM
Doodling has delivered!

A nice little production.

moto
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/11/21 06:37 AM
Hi Scott,

since I had the honour (and pleasure!) to listen to this song a couple of days ahead of this post, you already know my opinion: Thought it stared a bit like just another acoustic song about love, but then it caught me soon, and it caight me totally!

Great vocals, like we're used from you. But the bgv are really special - so much Beatles feel in them them. Gorgeous. The chorusses and the bridge are superb. And could you send me that high note on 'last' as a sample cool

Stay safe,

Stefan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/11/21 02:41 PM
Scott,
Smooth tune. Has an interesting progression, both in chording and how it develops. Very nice vocals. Easy and enjoyable listen.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/12/21 02:40 PM
Excellent song Scott. Loved the intro. The acoustics panned left and right gave the song a very cool feel. Super vocal and lyric. Well done.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/13/21 12:33 AM
Yes, I agree, lovely easy listening piece. Folk rock style like Harry Neilson et al. Nice work. Nice band too.
Posted By: Chris37 Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/13/21 07:43 AM
Hi Scott,
Your song is top notch !
Both guitars complete themselves perfectly.
Vocals are very pleasant.
I like this folk rock atmosphere.
Congratulations. Christian
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/13/21 10:48 AM
Nice! Love the 60's vibe, that's the music that speaks to me the most, always.

Great vocals!

Love the mix, the way you have the guitars panned sounds fabulous through the 'phones.

Good song, enjoyed.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/13/21 11:11 AM
ezekiel.
my only suggestion is the lead vocs a tad more 'forward'.
NICE NOTE AT 2m49secs. this should be in other places in the song imho. thats a brilliant vocal note.
the choruses are superb with the voc doubles. <<VERY HOOKY.

i hear on the fade out repeated 'will it be the last' to coda with that high note...IE BIG CRESCENDO FULL BORE AHEAD to coda.
ie lots of emotion.
imho you should milk that high note for all its worth.
its beautifull/very hooky.

happiness to you.
om
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/13/21 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
You doodle so well with such an amazing result, Scott. Your magic in writing lyrics adds to the already cool changes. Excellent vocals as always. The mix highlights your dynamics perfectly.

Thanks, Marty. I appreciate the comments, especially about the lyrics.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
An excellent listen! Captivating.

Good vocals and harmonies. Terrific arrangement - the two guitars work together nicely and the quartet puts it over the top - nice choice.

There is a "Donovan vibe" to this (or any of the best of the 60's AM radio groups).

Nice write.

fj

Thanks, Floyd. I love 60s AM radio!

Originally Posted By: rayc
Yep, the pre chorus is killer.
Nicely done.
A solid package of nice arrangement, solid melody and good narrative.
Two things that struck me were: a) the phrasing of "love at 1st sight"...but the mind wants what the mind wants and it's just a reflection of me & b) some essing - very occasionally.
Ace

I glad you pointed that out. I forgot to put in the de-essing, which I will go back to fix shortly. Thanks, Ray.

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Doodling has delivered!

A nice little production.

moto

Much appreciated, Cap'n!

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Scott,

since I had the honour (and pleasure!) to listen to this song a couple of days ahead of this post, you already know my opinion: Thought it stared a bit like just another acoustic song about love, but then it caught me soon, and it caight me totally!

Great vocals, like we're used from you. But the bgv are really special - so much Beatles feel in them them. Gorgeous. The chorusses and the bridge are superb. And could you send me that high note on 'last' as a sample cool

Stay safe,

Stefan

Danke, mein Freund. I appreciate all your feedback. That A4 will be on its way.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/14/21 09:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scott,
Smooth tune. Has an interesting progression, both in chording and how it develops. Very nice vocals. Easy and enjoyable listen.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha. I was playing chord shapes that I didn't know the names for (e.g. Dmaj7sus2) but I like the sound. You can call me a music theory ignoramus.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent song Scott. Loved the intro. The acoustics panned left and right gave the song a very cool feel. Super vocal and lyric. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback, Scott!

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Yes, I agree, lovely easy listening piece. Folk rock style like Harry Neilson et al. Nice work. Nice band too.

Thanks for the listen!

Originally Posted By: Chris37
Hi Scott,
Your song is top notch !
Both guitars complete themselves perfectly.
Vocals are very pleasant.
I like this folk rock atmosphere.
Congratulations. Christian

I appreciate your comments, Christian.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice! Love the 60's vibe, that's the music that speaks to me the most, always.

Great vocals!

Love the mix, the way you have the guitars panned sounds fabulous through the 'phones.

Good song, enjoyed.

Thanks, Dave. When I laid down the track and vocal, I initially thought, "Oh crap. I just wrote one of those cornball Davy Jones Monkees song."
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/14/21 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
ezekiel.
my only suggestion is the lead vocs a tad more 'forward'.
NICE NOTE AT 2m49secs. this should be in other places in the song imho. thats a brilliant vocal note.
the choruses are superb with the voc doubles. <<VERY HOOKY.

i hear on the fade out repeated 'will it be the last' to coda with that high note...IE BIG CRESCENDO FULL BORE AHEAD to coda.
ie lots of emotion.
imho you should milk that high note for all its worth.
its beautifull/very hooky.

happiness to you.
om

Thanks OM. I thought the vocals on the verses might be a bit under. I'm glad you said something. I have since given them a slight boost.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/14/21 10:06 PM
Love the feel of this!!! Has that 70's vibe that I really dig!!! I love the band.....have to check out that DADGAD RT! Really nice lyrics and vocals too!!.... a little Beatlish with those harmonies! Well done!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/15/21 06:07 PM
It's interesting that the Monkees are one of the groups you've been listening to lately because that was the first thing that came to mind for Janice. Bud said it reminds him of many of the late 60's songs but better produced. smile

Those acoustic guitars and vocals sounded excellent as did the entire mix.

Also, that was a great melody for just doodling around.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/15/21 06:21 PM
Scott - I think this is one of your best songs.

Enjoyed it.

Thanks & Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/17/21 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Love the feel of this!!! Has that 70's vibe that I really dig!!! I love the band.....have to check out that DADGAD RT! Really nice lyrics and vocals too!!.... a little Beatlish with those harmonies! Well done!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. Love the Beatles!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It's interesting that the Monkees are one of the groups you've been listening to lately because that was the first thing that came to mind for Janice. Bud said it reminds him of many of the late 60's songs but better produced. smile

Those acoustic guitars and vocals sounded excellent as did the entire mix.

Also, that was a great melody for just doodling around.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thank for your kind words, J&B!

Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Scott - I think this is one of your best songs.

Enjoyed it.

Thanks & Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/17/21 09:25 PM
Scott,

Love this! It feels like a vintage piece from the late 60s. A great sound.

Excellent production and mix as well.

Bob
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/20/21 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Scott,

Love this! It feels like a vintage piece from the late 60s. A great sound.

Excellent production and mix as well.

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/21/21 02:38 AM
Ezekiel's Storm,

The combination of two guitars are wonderful.
Good vocals and harmonies.
The chord progression is very nice.
It has the scent of 60's folk rock.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/21/21 10:14 PM
Smooth, calming and yet, uplifting. The panning of the acoustics fills out the entire soundscape with just enough resonance - like a gentle fog moving in at ground level but not obscuring the big picture.

I spend hours every week just doodling on one of my guitars and it's not uncommon for that to lead me down the path to a new musical effort. Although a ton of fun, doodling has an important place in music creation. You used that facet of the process so very nicely. A truly pleasant listen.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/22/21 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Ezekiel's Storm,

The combination of two guitars are wonderful.
Good vocals and harmonies.
The chord progression is very nice.
It has the scent of 60's folk rock.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks, Shigeki. The 60s is one of my favorite music eras.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Smooth, calming and yet, uplifting. The panning of the acoustics fills out the entire soundscape with just enough resonance - like a gentle fog moving in at ground level but not obscuring the big picture.

I spend hours every week just doodling on one of my guitars and it's not uncommon for that to lead me down the path to a new musical effort. Although a ton of fun, doodling has an important place in music creation. You used that facet of the process so very nicely. A truly pleasant listen.

Take care ...

Alan

Thanks, Alan. It's so good to hear from you again.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/23/21 04:06 PM
Ezekiel,

Definitely has that 60’s folk-rock type sound to it. Great vocals/harmonies and a really catchy chorus. Really smooth, seamless production—such a warm sound you’ve generated. If I had one suggestion (and it appears I’m the only one suggesting so probably good cause to disregard), is maybe to make those drums pop a bit more on the chorus. Just a thought. Congrats on hitting that high note so well—I would have ruptured a vein trying to hit that one, LOL! Great stuff!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/23/21 11:48 PM
This is well done--- i like the transitions between parts of the song. the chord changes and the use of vocal harmony
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/24/21 04:55 AM
Good song - those guitars work so well together. I enjoyed the vocals, especially when the harmony came in.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/25/21 03:59 PM
Hello Scott
You have used BiaB well
The vocals are really well done
Plus a super sound
Was fun to listen to it
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Fade into the Sun - 11/27/21 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Ezekiel,

Definitely has that 60’s folk-rock type sound to it. Great vocals/harmonies and a really catchy chorus. Really smooth, seamless production—such a warm sound you’ve generated. If I had one suggestion (and it appears I’m the only one suggesting so probably good cause to disregard), is maybe to make those drums pop a bit more on the chorus. Just a thought. Congrats on hitting that high note so well—I would have ruptured a vein trying to hit that one, LOL! Great stuff!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. I'll take a second listen to the drums in the chorus.

Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
This is well done--- i like the transitions between parts of the song. the chord changes and the use of vocal harmony

Thanks for the listen and comment, Bob!

Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Good song - those guitars work so well together. I enjoyed the vocals, especially when the harmony came in.
Cheers,
Mike

Much appreciated, Mike!

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Scott
You have used BiaB well
The vocals are really well done
Plus a super sound
Was fun to listen to it
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Vielen Dank, Andi!