PG Music Home
Champagne & Roses

Here is a song Leon & I wrote written probably about 40 years ago.
The original was a guitar and vocal on an old 4 track - lost in the dustbin of time.

Updated and sung by Janice, with a rockabilly piano based backing.

Janice - Vocal
Leon - Lyrics
Bud - recording Janice & mix advice
I played the guitar (and did a little midi programming on the bass fills etc).

The Band:
RealTracks in style: 2426:Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySlowSwing Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 2428:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm RockabillySlowSwingKevin Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 2427:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockabillySlowSwingBrent Sw 085
RealDrums [in Song:RockabillySlowSwing^06-a: Sticks, Hat, b: Sticks,

Champagne & Roses

Sometimes at the closing of the day
When evening starts to exercise her sway
Sky above the city turning midnight blue
My thoughts turn once again to you

And to incense and candle light, champagne and roses
These are the kinds of thing my mind discloses
Incense and candle light, champagne and roses
And the times I used to share those things with you

I see a couple walking hand in hand
Sometimes it’s as much as I can stand
I feel like I will always be alone and blue
I remember when I used to walk with you

(Thinking about) incense and candle light, champagne and roses
These are the kinds of thing my mind discloses
Incense and candle light, champagne and roses
And the times I used to share those things with you
No cobwebs on this Peter certainly passed the test of time.
Can't go too far wrong with Janice on vocals.
Great tune guys.
Rob4580
That's a really solid song.
The simple arrangement is perfect as is Janice's vocal.
Great guitar...made me want to hear the bpm upped though as it suggests a really swing RockaBilly thing.
I listened carefully for the midi bass fills and they are a little different tonally but only if I listen closely AND I'm probably imagining it.
This song is both romantic and sad in its own way, and as always the vocals, mix, and playing is all wonderful! Great jobs you guys.
Hi folks,

that's the first song I've listened to on this forum for many weeks. And it immediately showed me how much I was missing.

Very, very nice - and it sems that it's custom-made for Janice (whom I adore anyway) - sung absolutely gorgeously.. A fine rockbilly song, well-arranged.

Lved the ending a lot - was it a 'bult-in' BIAB ending (which I think are really great sometimes) or your own idea? Sound is very fine, too.

Really well-done, take care, everybody,

Stefan
Top notch. The sort of easy-on-the-ear song you'd expect to hear on the radio or a juke-box. Well done.
WOW!! I knew I'd like it when I saw Janice was singing. Man, what an outstanding backing track. You guys rock!! Great song. I'd like to hear the original but understand it's sitting in the dustpan of time where I have a whole section of stuff stored. That's a good write, guys, and a brilliant idea inviting Janice & Bud.
Peter & Leon (& Janice)...

A really nice write. Simple, but not mundane. Nice bricks and mortar.

A gorgeous vocal (duh).

An excellent arrangement/production. The MIX is outstanding. Every instrument (and vocal) is sharp/clear/in-its-own-space and then beautifully blended - outstanding!!! What a Great Mix should sound like.

A terrific listen.

fj
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great tune guys.
Rob4580

Thanks a lot Rob

Peter
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great tune guys.
Rob4580

Thank you Rob!

Janice
Oh, Janice --- sweet pea -- you're breaking us up with this!
Hi Guys,

This is a good song with a catchy beat.

All mixed, played and sung well.

Peter - I know you like your guitar back in the mix but it is very tasty and I would love to hear it more upfront.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel
Hi Peter!
Golly! Yeah, I said golly! It totally fits this time period tune. Could have jumped right off the my ole black and white 13 inch television watching Hee-Haw! Peter, your guitar playing has always left me wishing I could play like you! And Janice, CHILD if you were back in the days of Patsy Cline, she would have had some STIFF competition! Gotta love throwback tunes like this. They required skill and care, including the writing, Leon!

Another good one folks!

You people are like a hit factory.

smile
I know that when I see Peter, Janice, and Bud in one song I know that I'm in for some ear candy.

Everything has already been said so all I can say is I loved it.
Hello together
This song is really very well done
The vocals the guitar and BiaB harmonize perfectly
And it is mixed really well
Super made
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Originally Posted By: rayc
Great guitar...made me want to hear the bpm upped though as it suggests a really swing RockaBilly thing.
I listened carefully for the midi bass fills and they are a little different tonally but only if I listen closely AND I'm probably imagining it.

Thank you Ray. It was a fun project!

Janice
Originally Posted By: rayc

Thanks Ray - I was pleased with the sound matching on the midi bass, I played the parts on guitar converted to midi and transposed them.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song is both romantic and sad in its own way, and as always the vocals, mix, and playing is all wonderful! Great jobs you guys.

Thank you so much Ember!

Janice
Nice work. Well written lyrics - good job Leon. Janice's vocals are top notch. Your guitar work is outstanding as always. The band kept it all in time.

Good one.
My kind of music! Guitar and vox both were top-drawer. Excellent work!
"lost in the dustbin of time", sounds like a song waiting to be written!

Love the rockabilly vibe happening on the guitar parts, Peter, great sound.

Good write, Leon! Cool that you guys have known each other for so long and are still making music together.

And of course Janice always sounds fabulous!

Excellent song you three, enjoyed.
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

Thanks Ember.

Peter
Nice :-)
I got a rockabilly vibe. I think it was the tone on Peters guitar. Very cool playing. Perfect backtrack for Janice's perfect vocal. Nice change up. So glad you blew off the dust on this song. Well done.
Classic country. As expected, Janice sounds like she's in her element, and the mix is clear and balanced.

Nice guitar work as well. Everything just works.
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi folks,

that's the first song I've listened to on this forum for many weeks. And it immediately showed me how much I was missing.

Very, very nice - and it sems that it's custom-made for Janice (whom I adore anyway) - sung absolutely gorgeously.. A fine rockbilly song, well-arranged.

Lved the ending a lot - was it a 'bult-in' BIAB ending (which I think are really great sometimes) or your own idea? Sound is very fine, too.

Stefan

Thank you Stefan. I so value your support and friendship!

Best to you both,

J&B
Nicely romantic and nostalgic story in a timeless arrangement. The mix is perfectly modern without being cliched. Great playing and singing, guaranteed high quality collaboration.

Janne
I'm not qualified to critique you guys songs. I just listen and enjoy !! smile
Peter, Leon,
Nice romantic tune / resurrection. Janice did a wonderful vocals on it. Sometimes songs come out better if you age them a little smile Easy listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi folks,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan, really appreciate the visit. The ending was my doing.

Peter
So much talent on one track! I played this kind of music back in the 60s and 70s. But we didn't sound anywhere near this good! Totally loved it! best to all of you ...

Alan
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Top notch. The sort of easy-on-the-ear song you'd expect to hear on the radio or a juke-box. Well done.

Thank you!

Janice

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
WOW!! I knew I'd like it when I saw Janice was singing. Man, what an outstanding backing track. You guys rock!! Great song. I'd like to hear the original but understand it's sitting in the dustpan of time where I have a whole section of stuff stored. That's a good write, guys, and a brilliant idea inviting Janice & Bud.

Thank you Marty. Like you I'm glad they dusted it off and I'm happy they invited me in!

Janice
Peter (and Janice),

Nice country blues tune . . . slick vocal as always—the mix allows it shine. Love the title/hook—really sets the mood. Great write. Excellent collab! Congrats to you all!

My very best to you,

Deej
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Thanks Marty.

Peter

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum

Thanks

Peter
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

A gorgeous vocal (duh).

An excellent arrangement/production. The MIX is outstanding. Every instrument (and vocal) is sharp/clear/in-its-own-space and then beautifully blended - outstanding!!! What a Great Mix should sound like.

A terrific listen.

fj

We all appreciate those encouraging comments floyd.

Peter
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

A gorgeous vocal (duh).

A terrific listen.

fj

Thank you so much floyd! I loved the lyric and band and was happy to be a part of it. Peter's playing is always such a joy to sing with and Leon is one of my favorite writers.

Janice
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Oh, Janice --- sweet pea -- you're breaking us up with this!

smile Thank you Ed!

Janice
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Guys,

Peter - I know you like your guitar back in the mix but it is very tasty and I would love to hear it more upfront.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel

Peter
Peter, Janice, Leon & Bud,

I could listen to a whole album of this… So good!

Janice and the whole team shines. This is a special one.

Thoroughly enjoyed!

Bob
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Peter!
Golly! Yeah, I said golly! It totally fits this time period tune. Could have jumped right off the my ole black and white 13 inch television watching Hee-Haw! Peter, your guitar playing has always left me wishing I could play like you! And Janice, CHILD if you were back in the days of Patsy Cline, she would have had some STIFF competition! Gotta love throwback tunes like this. They required skill and care, including the writing, Leon!

Thanks for the fun review.

Peter
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Another good one folks!

You people are like a hit factory.

smile

Thanks David

Peter
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Guys,

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thank you Nigel!

Janice
I read the lyrics before listening. Very good. They can stand on their own w/o the music. Tune is good too.

Is that Jerry Lee on the piano? smile

Janice gives this song the treatment.

Peter, the guitar bit blend in organically with the style/RTs.

Man, that solo is good!
Originally Posted By: Bawb
…And Janice, CHILD if you were back in the days of Patsy Cline, she would have had some STIFF competition!

Being mentioned in the same sentence is an honor!

Janice

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I know that when I see Peter, Janice, and Bud in one song I know that I'm in for some ear candy.

Thank you Mario!

Janice
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello together
Super made
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks a lot.

Peter

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Thanks Mario

Peter
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello together
Super made
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks!

Janice
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice work. Well written lyrics - good job Leon. Janice's vocals are top notch. Your guitar work is outstanding as always. The band kept it all in time.

Good one.

Thanks

Peter
Nice sounding oldie , back to basics where a think we should go now and again !,
Janice the vocals are as always spot on, but the bar set too easy for you .

Your vocal range(key set in the song ) in these collaborations you do , they seem too low for you in my listen !.

The track sound ,based on another person produced it ?.

I felt like again ,a lot of your collaborations that you hang back to fit the track in your vocals like a hang ?.

Don't know if you will agree with that or not, but me !!, i would rather hear more from your own camp !!.

You made it sound what it is by being the singer and doing the best to get it to shine.

Loved the vocals and the walking Bass !.

Thanks
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

Thanks a lot.

Peter
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Good write, Leon! Cool that you guys have known each other for so long and are still making music together.

Thanks Dave - we've known each other since we were 5 years old.

Peter
Originally Posted By: musician17
Nice :-)

Peter
Peter & Janice,

I'm in a good mood for the old 4-beat sound.
Janice's vocal is very sweet.
Your guitar work is outstanding as always.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I got a rockabilly vibe. I think it was the tone on Peters guitar. Very cool playing. Perfect backtrack for Janice's perfect vocal. Nice change up. So glad you blew off the dust on this song. Well done.

Thanks Scott

Peter
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Classic country. As expected, Janice sounds like she's in her element, and the mix is clear and balanced.

Appreciate the review David.

Peter
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nicely romantic and nostalgic story in a timeless arrangement. The mix is perfectly modern without being cliched. Great playing and singing, guaranteed high quality collaboration.

Janne

Thanks Janne.

Peter
Nice write, well performed by all!

moto
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt

Good one.

Thank you!

Janice

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

Thanks!

Janice

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks Dave. It was fun!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke

Thanks

Peter
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Peter, Leon,
Nice romantic tune / resurrection. Janice did a wonderful vocals on it. Sometimes songs come out better if you age them a little smile Easy listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha

Peter
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Peter (and Janice),

Nice country blues tune . . . slick vocal as always—the mix allows it shine. Love the title/hook—really sets the mood. Great write. Excellent collab! Congrats to you all!

My very best to you,

Deej

Appreciate the review Deej.

Peter

Originally Posted By: Al-David
So much talent on one track! I played this kind of music back in the 60s and 70s. But we didn't sound anywhere near this good! Totally loved it! best to all of you ...

Alan

Thanks Alan

Peter
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Peter & Janice,

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki

Peter

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I read the lyrics before listening. Very good. They can stand on their own w/o the music. Tune is good too.

Man, that solo is good!

Appreciate the comments Scott

Peter

Originally Posted By: rsdean

Thoroughly enjoyed!

Bob

Thanks Bob

Peter
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank you Scott!

Janice

Originally Posted By: dcuny

Thanks David!

Janice
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto

moto

Thank you

Peter
Where have I been? I've been missing out on so great music. Makes me want to go back to country music, although my genre is gospel, well written and true country!!
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

Thank you Janne!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke

Oh come on … your productions are great.
Thank you.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Peter, Leon,

Misha.

Thanks Misha. It was fun!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Al-David

Alan

Thanks Al. I bet y’all sounded great!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Peter (and Janice),

My very best to you,

Deej

I appreciate that Deej!

Janice
Originally Posted By: rsdean

Thoroughly enjoyed!

Bob

Thank you Bob! I was very excited to join in with Peter and Leon on this.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

Man, that solo is good!

Thanks! It was a pleasure having Jerry drop by the studio. smile

Janice

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice sounding oldie , back to basics where a think we should go now and again !,
Janice the vocals are as always spot on, but the bar set too easy for you .

Your vocal range(key set in the song ) in these collaborations you do , they seem too low for you in my listen !.

The track sound ,based on another person produced it ?.

I felt like again ,a lot of your collaborations that you hang back to fit the track in your vocals like a hang ?.

Don't know if you will agree with that or not, but me !!, i would rather hear more from your own camp !!.

You made it sound what it is by being the singer and doing the best to get it to shine.

Loved the vocals and the walking Bass !.

Thanks

Thanks! You can blame me for the key smile it’s chosen by me on all our J&B productions and collabs. I sang up in a very high range during our many bluegrass years but Bud has convinced me I’m a natural contralto. Glad you liked it!

Janice

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Peter & Janice,

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you very much Shigeki!

Janice

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto

moto

Thanks!

Janice

J,B,P&L, this one has that great old time swing feel. Great vocal per usual! The piano is the perfect compliment and although not mentioned in the notes, it sounds like some C6 lap steel in there. Reminds of Junior Brown type fills. Leon’s lyrics prove he knew what he was doing even back then. Topped off with a fine mix, it all adds up to a wonderful listen, Tom
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Where have I been? I've been missing out on so great music. Makes me want to go back to country music, although my genre is gospel, well written and true country!!

Thanks

Peter
Originally Posted By: tommyad
J,B,P&L, this one has that great old time swing feel. Great vocal per usual! The piano is the perfect compliment and although not mentioned in the notes, it sounds like some C6 lap steel in there. Reminds of Junior Brown type fills. Leon’s lyrics prove he knew what he was doing even back then. Topped off with a fine mix, it all adds up to a wonderful listen, Tom

Thanks Tom.

No lap steel - I set up a harmony pedal on the helix to try and emulate something like a B-Bender.

Peter
Wow, another great track from the A-team.
Peter: as always, beautiful, tasty guitar work.
Bud: top-notch production once again.
Janice: That girl sure can sing.
Also, I love the rockabilly feel.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Mike
Originally Posted By: tommyad

Thank you Tom!

Janice

Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Wow, another great track from the A-team.
Peter: as always, beautiful, tasty guitar work.
Bud: top-notch production once again.
Janice: That girl sure can sing.
Also, I love the rockabilly feel.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike! Bud wanted me to mention that other than recording my vocal this was Peter’s production. smile

Janice
40 years have aged this well.

Nice collaboration.

Great production as usual.

moto
© PG Music Forums