PG Music Home
Posted By: SpaceDog New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/12/21 02:35 PM
Dear Forum Friends,

It's been a very busy and difficult year for me. I wish I had more time spend with you and with our music.

Here is our latest song called "Tower of Solitude" . I wrote this over 30 years ago while I was still in college and in a long-distance relationship with the girl who would become my wife. The COVID pandemic created some lonely, isolated times for all of us. It reminded me of that particularly lonely time in my young life.

We hope you enjoy!

DC SpaceDog
www.soundclick.com/dcspacedog
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/12/21 03:33 PM
DC SpaceDog,
Nice resurrection. Excellent arrangement and vocals. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/12/21 06:24 PM
Great song Space Dog!

The lyrics are perfect during our Covid solitude.

Super lyrics, great vocal, nice mix, all in a fantastic chord progression (I just might steal err borrow them).

Two thumbs up
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/13/21 11:48 PM
Misha, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the kind words.

Mario, Good to see you again. We all borrow from each other. That's part our creativity. The first chord progression was inspired by a Dan Fogelberg song called "The River." The second progression was made famous by Argent's "I'd love to change the world." Thanks for listening.
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/14/21 04:43 AM
I enjoyed it! smile

While the balance was good, the instruments didn't quite seem like they were sitting in the same space. Almost like they were... isolated from each other. wink

Nice work.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/14/21 11:42 AM
Misha, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the kind words.

Mario, Good to see you again. We all borrow from each other. That's part of our creativity. The first chord progression was inspired by a Dan Fogelberg song called "The River." The second progression was made famous by Argent's "I'd love to change the world." Thanks for listening.

Dave, Good ear! Yes I thinned out the EQ and used an aggressive low cut filter to clarify the instruments especially the bass. So do you think it worked or not? Thanks for feedback.
Posted By: rayc Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/14/21 07:03 PM
This sounds like it was EQd for AM radio.
It could use a little "glue" as the vocal, whilst its level is fine, seems to sit above the backing.
Nice song though.
Posted By: Al-David Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/14/21 07:15 PM
Hello SD ...

I really enjoyed this. I think this is one of your very best vocals- at least of the ones I've heard. I can't speak for Ray, but perhaps he's hearing the slightly deeper reverb on the piano. It does sound just a bit "further back" in the mix than the other instruments. It didn't bother me or take away from my listening enjoyment, but thought I'd mention it, FWIW. Regardless, it's a great song and your delivery of the vocal was strong! Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/14/21 09:57 PM
Nice piano work. Is that you? With all the changes, it doesn't quite sound like BIAB. Love it and the feel it brings to the song. Engaging melody.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: New Song: Tower of Solitude - 11/15/21 06:36 PM
Ray, Thanks for listening.

Alan, I'm glad you liked it. Yes the piano is a little "further back" due to the reverb, but that was an intentional choice to give it a sense of isolation and solitude. That is also why I didn't do any background vocals or harmonies. Just one voice.

Storm, Yes, I played the piano and organ parts on this one. Actually, the BIAB RealTracks can do better but I like to play as much as I can. Thanks.

SD
© PG Music Forums