PG Music Home
Posted By: Henry Clarke Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/13/21 12:12 PM
Lonely Road:

https://youtu.be/V6ZqpRPS-Yw

Hi folks. Been away from the forum for quite a while doing a lot of other projects (some of which do not include Band in a Box so I couldn't post those), and also doing a few covers that are doing ok on the commercial platforms. Anyway I did have some time to carve out this song after I heard this excellent guitar groove in the software. Of course it's RnB (cause that's what I do :-)

Check it out if interested. It's on my channel. I probably won't release it because my fan base likes the 60's style RnB that I do but I couldn't resist taking on this BIAB style and trying to make something out of it.

Lonely Road

Style: Pensive.sty

Instruments:
Bass - Electric, 902
Piano - Accoustic 2852
Drums - SouthernPopNeoSoul
Guitar 1 - Electric 2682
Synth Pad - Pop Modern 1840
Organ - B3 689
Guitar 2 - Electric 3343
Guitar 3 - Electric Rhythm Wah Wah 2525
Guitar 4 - Jazz Guitar 1306
Vocal Aahs - 3020 (only used for 8 bars)

All other harmonies (hook, adlibs, etc.. sung by me)

Equipment: Ha , very little. Shure PG-42 mic, Dell XPS computer, Focusrite USB interface, Sonar Producer for recording, mixing, and mastering, and of course of host of plug-ins to get a specific sound. Really a short list huh :-)
Posted By: robsmusic Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/13/21 08:33 PM
That's a beautiful song , Henry!
well done!
Excellent vocals and vocal harmonies!
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/13/21 08:57 PM
henry.
this is very well done.
great vocs.

if i might suggest ..possibly a touch of tameing the hi hat.
via eq
sorry , cant put my finger on it. might be my phones.

i salute your talent henry.
best
om
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/13/21 09:06 PM
Henry, it's good to have another song from you. I look forward to them. Stellar vocal as usual.

Great song. Great production.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/14/21 10:57 AM
Henry,

a very pleasent thing. Marvellously sung and sounding excellent..

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/14/21 11:11 AM
Always so good, Henry. [Love your YT tutorials, too. Thanks.] Your vocals and feel are superior on all you do. Such a pleasant and professional sound. This song is another that makes me want to stand up and groove along. I start out sitting, then the hips start rocking, and the shoulders start swaying to the beat. You move me, Henry. Haha. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/15/21 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
henry.
this is very well done.
great vocs.

if i might suggest ..possibly a touch of tameing the hi hat.
via eq
sorry , cant put my finger on it. might be my phones.

i salute your talent henry.
best
om

For a song of this type it's the hi-hat that provides the bounce in the rhythm. Really important. Kinda like Clyde Stubblefield's hi-hat provided the feel to the James Brown songs. Thanks for listening though.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/15/21 05:58 PM
Henry, you are a professional musician for sure and this song proves it.

If I heard this in a record store, remember those, I would have purchased the album.

Loved it.

PS - we now have two record stores in a small neighboring village. My wife will not let me go there alone grin
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/15/21 06:39 PM
As soon as I saw your name, I clicked on it. You're one of my favorites here, and this song did not disappoint. Great work, really enjoyed it.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/15/21 10:30 PM
Great stuff Henry!

I also wanted to thank you for the helpful tutorials you've done on BIAB.

I'm a relative newbie and find myself looking to your vids for help quite often.

moto
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/16/21 12:58 PM
Hello Henry
Again a top song
Impressive sound
Great varied vocals
BiaB fully and well utilized
Both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/16/21 03:37 PM

Hi Henry,

This has a really good sound and I love the vocals. Very rich.

The harmonic tapestry is excellent, very soothing and infectious. Reminded me of stuff from back in the day when people still new how to play and sing.

smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/18/21 08:00 PM
I guess you and I have similar tastes.......I used this band and built on the demo progression in much the same way. This is really pretty!!! I was sucked in by the groove too! You created a great song with it!!!

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/islandsc?si=95273ebbb3ea4ab8a25ba3d17a359ca6

Here's a link to mine. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/19/21 01:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I guess you and I have similar tastes.......I used this band and built on the demo progression in much the same way. This is really pretty!!! I was sucked in by the groove too! You created a great song with it!!!

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/islandsc?si=95273ebbb3ea4ab8a25ba3d17a359ca6

Here's a link to mine. Take care. Greg

Yea, we do have similar tastes. :-) Yours is smoother than mine but still a great song. I wanted a bit harder groove, speeded it up, and gave the hi-hat more presence. I also cut the guitar riff up to only accent the hook. Didn't think it would work throughout the melody but you indeed did make it work. I actually do a lot of reswizzling (if that's a word) existing BIAB patterns and give them a melody with a few changes. I mean why re-invent the wheel :-) I usually have to play the string lines myself and sing the backgrounds since the BIAB strings basically just follow the chords and the Vocals are only oohs and aahs ... You used a brass solo. Because my song was creeping up on 5 minutes I cut the bridge out totally and created an ending vamp different from the standard hook to finish the song in the 3 minute range. It's not the type of song I would ever release though. It doesn't work with my fan base. Still a great pattern that was fun to play around with.
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/19/21 01:42 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Great stuff Henry!

I also wanted to thank you for the helpful tutorials you've done on BIAB.

I'm a relative newbie and find myself looking to your vids for help quite often.

moto

I thought you were a veteran :-) Just pulling your leg. Thanks for listening and I'm glad the tutorials are helping you. Cheers !!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/19/21 11:52 AM
Another great example how BIAB can create sweet sounding groovy soul backing. Very pleasant chord progression together with such an amazing vocal performance, this is radio-friendly music to my taste.

Janne
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/20/21 09:02 PM
What a great mix.
Nothing but the best Henry.
Nice to hear from you again.
Rob4580
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/22/21 07:11 PM
Thanks all of you for the kind comments. One thing about me is when I produce a song I just produce it the way I like it. Put it in the can, and move on to the next one LOL
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/23/21 06:37 PM
Janice immediately commented that she felt like we were watching an episode of Daryl's House -- a show where soul oozes from all the guests.

There's not much, if any, need to parse this out. Your vocals, your band choice, your arrangement and the mix are all hittin' the note making for a pro project indeed.

Great to see (hear) you back around and we most enjoyed the tune!

J&B
Posted By: edshaw Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/28/21 06:19 PM
A natural talent -- makes it sound easy!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 11/28/21 09:05 PM
Hi, Henry.

Yeah! Great groove. Your harmonies are especially nice here.

Excellent "re-swizzling".

Technically, the rules don't require using BiaB on a song, although I always appreciate it when people do, since it helps motivate me into getting a bit deeper into the software.

Really enjoyed this! smile
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 12/03/21 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Henry.

Technically, the rules don't require using BiaB on a song, although I always appreciate it when people do, since it helps motivate me into getting a bit deeper into the software.

Really enjoyed this! smile

Man that's news to me. I thought you had to use BIAB to post in this thread. Hell, I have more than a few good songs released that are not BIAB. Still I'll follow the rules and not get technical :-) Thanks for listening and the comments. Cheers - Henry
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Lonely Road - Henry Clarke - 12/05/21 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice immediately commented that she felt like we were watching an episode of Daryl's House -- a show where soul oozes from all the guests.

There's not much, if any, need to parse this out. Your vocals, your band choice, your arrangement and the mix are all hittin' the note making for a pro project indeed.

Great to see (hear) you back around and we most enjoyed the tune!

J&B

Ha. Live at Daryl's House is one of my favorite shows. I taped a lot of the artist I liked and made my own DVD of the show. I could also hear you guys on this show jamming with Daryl Hall !! Thanks. :-)
© PG Music Forums