PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Ale Haus - 11/17/21 02:57 PM
Ale Haus

As I was enjoying a Leinenkiugel's Octoberfest I was searching through Band-in-a-Box's styles when I came upon a style named Ale House. You know that I had to write a song using it.

BiaB style = Ale House MIDI Americana Ballad
Tempo = 60 BPM

I deleted the bass
Piano - Keyzone - Classic Rhodes Piano
Guitar - Velvet - 01 MKI piano
Strings - FM8 - Soft E piano
Drums and percussion - various Steven Slate's SSD 5 and Kontakt drums/percussion

I am playing my guitar, fretless bass, and my wind controller (Ocarina).

As usual let me know what you think, good or bad.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Ale Haus - 11/17/21 03:06 PM
Mario,

Love this style and what you did with it. I really like the wind controller parts in this song - that sound really takes center stage.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Ale Haus - 11/17/21 03:31 PM
Hey Mario ...

Really cool song! Everything compliments everything else. I wouldn't know a wind controller if it kicked me in the butt! But it sure sounds good. Only thing I might suggest is the guitar parts could come a little more forward in the mix. It sounds great and should be on the sanme level with the wind controller. Much enjoyed!

Alan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Ale Haus - 11/17/21 09:02 PM
When I read you were enjoying a Leinenkugel Oktoberfest, I thought I was going to hear an oompah band composition laugh.

That ocarina has a unique sound. I had to look up the instrument to see what it is. Quite curious looking.

Pleasant piece of music.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Ale Haus - 11/18/21 07:24 AM
Hi Mario,

that was very different from what I expected when I read your descripzion. very nice, loved the ocarina (can't remember when I last heard that sound.

Really beautiful.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Ale Haus - 11/18/21 08:02 AM
Very nice, Mario! Love the feel.

Ocarina is cool. I think the only song I can think of off the top of my head that used one is Wild Thing by the Troggs wink

Guitar work is lovely.

Nice composition, enjoyed!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Ale Haus - 11/18/21 11:17 AM
You really are a lot of fun, Mario. Very creative indeed. You have that fretless sounding like a big-box upright. Perfect. Cool lilting guitar. Ocarina? Yeah, perfect choice. [and a special thanks to Dave for the Wild Thing memory. hehe]
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Ale Haus - 11/18/21 01:55 PM
Hello Mario
Really cool song
Is something different
and it sounds really great
Very well done
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Ale Haus - 11/18/21 02:24 PM
Mario,
Cool tune, and a nice way it progresses. Ocarina sounds great! Listens well, but I will echo Alan's note about guitar being more forward. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Ale Haus - 11/18/21 07:29 PM
People who play videogames know The Ocarina of Time. ALso, they are often sold at renaissance faires. Guitar and ocarina were both great! Liked the drums, too. Well done.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Ale Haus - 11/18/21 08:28 PM
Serve me up one with a nice frothy head!! Cool tune!! Again, some really interesting and unconventional changes!! Enjoyed this a lot!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: Ale Haus - 11/19/21 02:58 AM
Mario

Really liked the ocarina.

Nice piece, inventive and entertaining.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ale Haus - 11/19/21 09:36 PM
Thanx all for listening, commenting, and giving me some good advice. I appreciated each and every post.
Posted By: rayc Re: Ale Haus - 11/21/21 04:20 AM
The ocarina has a nice human whistle fell to it...I enjoyed that and the rest.
Nice work.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Ale Haus - 11/21/21 04:54 AM
So beautiful. Amazing chord changes and a storytelling-like feel from the ocarina. You are telling a story, through this track, that (because it is wordless) remains elusive from us. I prefer some things to remain elusive, at times, so I really, really enjoyed this journey you've taken us on. Thanks!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Ale Haus - 11/22/21 01:45 AM
Mario,

Your wind controlled Ocarina is cool.
The chord progression of the part played with guitar is very nice.
Very creative indeed.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Ale Haus - 11/22/21 04:53 AM
Mario, any song with beer as its starting point has got to be golden. For someone who usually seems "lager" than life, you've turned out a nice, quiet, reflective gem here.
Prost,
Mike
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Ale Haus - 11/24/21 06:09 PM
Mesmerizing in a lovely way.

To no surprise your performances are outstanding!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ale Haus - 11/25/21 11:51 AM
Ray, James, Shigeki, Mike, Janice and Bud thanx so much for those wonderful reviews. I greatly appreciate them.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Ale Haus - 11/28/21 01:43 AM
Hi Mario, very interesting use of the medieval ocarina sound in a contemporary tune.Very good.
regards

Mike B.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Ale Haus - 11/28/21 03:18 AM
We don't get nearly enough 6/8 time songs! smile

Mellow tune!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Ale Haus - 11/28/21 03:20 PM
Very cool song Mario. That Ocarina is very cold. Loved when the guitar kicked in. Well done
Posted By: MarioD Re: Ale Haus - 11/28/21 05:55 PM
Mike, thanx so much for listening and commenting on this little ditty.

Thanx David. I think we don't get a lot of 6/8 and other time signatures is because of how BiaB converts them to 3/4 or 4/4, making it hard to add tracks in you DAW.

Thanx Scott for this wonderful review.
© PG Music Forums