PG Music Home
Sojourn Soldier on Soundcloud
Sojourn Soldier on YouTube

Style is _SPRUCE.STY (Spruce Acoustic Songwriter Pop)

RealTracks in song: 3267:Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1534:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPowerPush8ths Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2935:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkPulse8thsFintan Ev 110
Loop in Song: Drums\AmericanaSlowRockFred^1-SS,Rd
RealDrums [in style:CongasEv8[single] [Multi]
Utility Tracks:
2582: Synth; 3716 Baritone guitar; 3267 Cello

Dave Bell (Blue Attitude) played 3 different guitar tracks; I played bass and sang (never at the same time) wink

Synopsis: From a conversation with Crossroads Stefan –

This is an original song about... I don't know. Maybe meditation. Nah. Maybe something about improving one's life. Nah. It's more ineffable than that. Actually, I'm not totally sure, but believe the song is about traveling down to the depths of our soul/brain to remove all of the extraneous influences we've accumulated over the years --all the misconceptions, all the constructive mental errors that led us to false conclusions, all the misinformation our mentors and peers have intentionally or unwittingly passed to us, all the unexamined beliefs others have persuaded us to absorb-- and getting back to the core of who we are. Perhaps some correlations would be The Philosopher's Stone, Alchemy, and a form of yoga I forget right now.

Sojourn Soldier
I drift alone passed the cobblestones to the crossroads of my soul,
and I hear the Old One whispering, "Give up all control."
Deeper down I hear the sound as The Ancient One cries out,
"Check your mind at the gates this time , and cast away all doubt.

CH: 'Then you're gonna free yourself to be your Self.
You'll see that you were blind. It's Time for Space. You gotta waste your mind."

Further in there's a constant din, then Silence takes the stage.
Her loudness shouts the anger out and quiets fists of rage.
Inside my dreams there's harmony that promises great things.
A primal voice now makes the choice and sweetly it too sings.

CH: So it finally frees itself to be itself
and joins the sacred whole. No Time or Space within this soldier's Soul.

BR: Ever-unwinding inside out in search of lasting Truth
There's help along the way to guide one to improve.
All who've gone before my time will light what's there to see.
Stay the course, the way is clear. This soldier must be free.
SOLO
Way inside there's a slip-and-slide, and a long way to go down
to reach creative visions that have suddenly been found.
Coming back to Reality with new hope within my heart.
The blindspots bright inside the light as the soldier plays his part.

CH: So I had to be myself to free my Self,
and craft a better way.
The Sojourn Soldier shines another day. The Sojourn Soldier shines another day.
The Sojourn Soldier shines another day.
Marty,

Big WOW on this one!

Excellent write. Your best (would easily be many people's best - so good).

Good video. Also, your best!

Good tracks (of course). Good vocals (your best!).

Dave's guitar work is excellent. Perfectly placed gems. Excellent solo.

I would have liked your bass to be a little louder.

Excellent work all around. A great listen.

fj
Hi Marty ...

What a fabulous song and listen!!!

I agree with Floyd that is is definitely your best o of the ones I've heard, at least. You couldn't have done better than inviting Dave to your project. What a perfect fit!

Everything about this shouts - damn ... this is good! Somewhat abstract lyric - not quite as abstract as Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", but made me think of it. The fairly deep reverb treatment only added to the mystique of the whole vibe. Wish I could write abstract lyrics like that. I think I'm probably too pragmatic... and/or, I've not listen to enough Dylan.

What a great listen, Marty. A big tip of the hat to both you & Dave.

Alan
Hello Marty
Your song combined with the video is a fantastic experience
This is what happens when BiaB and great musicians come together
Excellent bass work and great vocals
Then there is the wonderful guitar solo by Dave
You did that exceptionally well
I am really thrilled Marty
Many thanks
and many greetings
Andi ;-)
I agree with Floyd, "a big WOW on this one"!

Everything about this one is pro, the vocals, leads, backing tracks, and mix.

This should be on the radio!

Your best to date.

You both should be very proud of this one.

Loved it!
Marty

Yep great song - great video and great performances.

You have really excelled on this one - excellent vocal and bass and some wonderful guitar playing by Dave.

A complete pro package. Love it.

Peter
Everything about this is excellent!

The singing, the lyrics, the arrangement, and especially the guitar playing.

All excellent.

I noticed you changed the words for the first verse, but didn't update the lyrics, from:
      It's Time for Space. You gotta waste your mind.
to:
      There's answers here to seek and you will find

You might want to change that.

Again... excellent. laugh
FANMAZING.
The lyric could be a excerpt from Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf or Castañeda Teachings of Don Juan, the prep for a meditation retreat or something else again.
I LOVE the way Dave separates his general elaboration & filigree from the solo - the latter being a journey with a destination.
Everything fits and works a treat.
I hear plenty of bass - excellent playing.
Hi Marty,

Good song and excellent production.

I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Best Regards
Nigel
Yes, one of your best! I particularly loved the melody and your singing. The lyrics were a bit of a conundrum, even with your explanation, but Al compared them to A Whiter Shade of Pale and that helped me come to terms with them. Dave's guitar was icing. And a great ending as well! You've been prolific of late but more importantly, the quality is there. Great work!
Marty & Dave

One of your best collaborations hands down. Gem!
Great playing, both of you! Vocals and mix is perfect to my ears. You should be proud of this one. Liked it very much. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Hi Marty,

you granted me the honor of listening to this song prior to publishing and I said that I liked the song, liked Dave's playing, but ... didn't understand the meaning of the lyrics.

It was very kind (and lenient) of you to help me approaching the lyrics with that synopsis - thanks so much for your patience - I think the lyrics are absolutely remarkable. Don't know many people (if any...) who could write something like this.

No doubt, Marty, you are a very special and eclectic human being.

All the best,

Stefan
Had a bunch of listens to this tune. This is one of my favorites of yours Marty. Awesome vocal, lyric and backtrack. Daves guitar was excellent as well perfect for the song. Well done
Big wow from me too, Marty. Love everything about this. Great vocal and of course wonderful playing from you and Dave. For some strange reason, something kind of reminds me of Marty Robbins. Though I don't recall Marty singing about the search for enlightenment...
Regards,
Leon
What a great song. Well done. Lyrics are superb. Music and vocals are outstanding. Everyone plays their parts well, including BIAB.

Good video too.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

Big WOW on this one!

Excellent write. Your best (would easily be many people's best - so good).

Good video. Also, your best!

Good tracks (of course). Good vocals (your best!).

Dave's guitar work is excellent. Perfectly placed gems. Excellent solo.

I would have liked your bass to be a little louder.

Excellent work all around. A great listen.

fj

Thanks so much for your encouragement and extraordinary example to follow, Floyd. I'm always worried about putting the bass too far out front, but am quite tickled that you suggest it louder.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ...

What a fabulous song and listen!!!

I agree with Floyd that is is definitely your best o of the ones I've heard, at least. You couldn't have done better than inviting Dave to your project. What a perfect fit!

Everything about this shouts - damn ... this is good! Somewhat abstract lyric - not quite as abstract as Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", but made me think of it. The fairly deep reverb treatment only added to the mystique of the whole vibe. Wish I could write abstract lyrics like that. I think I'm probably too pragmatic... and/or, I've not listen to enough Dylan.

What a great listen, Marty. A big tip of the hat to both you & Dave.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Very encouraging comment. Yeah, the reverb was a bit extra to give that deep-down feeling.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Marty
Your song combined with the video is a fantastic experience
This is what happens when BiaB and great musicians come together
Excellent bass work and great vocals
Then there is the wonderful guitar solo by Dave
You did that exceptionally well
I am really thrilled Marty
Many thanks
and many greetings
Andi ;-)

Hi, Andi. Thanks so much for your wonderful comment.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I agree with Floyd, "a big WOW on this one"!

Everything about this one is pro, the vocals, leads, backing tracks, and mix.

This should be on the radio!

Your best to date.

You both should be very proud of this one.

Loved it!

Thanks, Mario. You make us proud.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty

Yep great song - great video and great performances.

You have really excelled on this one - excellent vocal and bass and some wonderful guitar playing by Dave.

A complete pro package. Love it.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Very kind of you.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Everything about this is excellent!

The singing, the lyrics, the arrangement, and especially the guitar playing.

All excellent.

I noticed you changed the words for the first verse, but didn't update the lyrics, from:
      It's Time for Space. You gotta waste your mind.
to:
      There's answers here to seek and you will find

You might want to change that.

Again... excellent. laugh

Thanks, David. That happens so often --the lyrics change sometimes even after the recording.
Marty, superb production. The write and vocal are equally superb. Dave does his thing to perfection. There are no weak spots. A very very enjoyable listen. Tom
Marty,

You are an impressive songwriter—this is another great composition, and the vocal fits so well with it. Love all those internal rhymes and near rhymes in the lyrics—not an easy thing to do. Dave does a wonderful job on the guitar tracks . . . but whoever did the mixing . .. wow, everything sticks together just right. Impressive!

My best to you both,

Deej
Originally Posted By: rayc
FANMAZING.
The lyric could be a excerpt from Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf or Castañeda Teachings of Don Juan, the prep for a meditation retreat or something else again.
I LOVE the way Dave separates his general elaboration & filigree from the solo - the latter being a journey with a destination.
Everything fits and works a treat.
I hear plenty of bass - excellent playing.

Thanks, Ray. Hesse & Castañeda, good company. You & Dave, much better.

Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Marty,

Good song and excellent production.

I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Yes, one of your best! I particularly loved the melody and your singing. The lyrics were a bit of a conundrum, even with your explanation, but Al compared them to A Whiter Shade of Pale and that helped me come to terms with them. Dave's guitar was icing. And a great ending as well! You've been prolific of late but more importantly, the quality is there. Great work!

Thanks, TuneMonger. Very kind of you to say so.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty & Dave

One of your best collaborations hands down. Gem!
Great playing, both of you! Vocals and mix is perfect to my ears. You should be proud of this one. Liked it very much. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thank you, Misha! I learn so much from all you folks here.
loved those water drop fx in each ear.
my goodness this must have been a ton of work...
excellent sound pictures.
everything fab in fact.
i also like what you did with the bass.
THAT NOTE AT 3/10 BEAUTY HOLD !!

i mean it sincerely... this would blow away lots of songs
done with zillions of buks gear in big studios.
includeing the ending .<<<FAB.

fab/superb/wonderfull/fantastic are just a few words that come to mind. a zillion out of ten.
top of the pops.

merry xmas.KUDOS !!
om
"Inside my dreams there's harmony that promises great things.
A primal voice now makes the choice and sweetly it too sings."

Janice selected the above for a quote.

The write is epic. Man, all those AABB rhymes are amazing. It would take Bud years to do that for one song smile It would make great poetry or even prose and your vocals and arrangement certainly make it a great song.

And as Janice said, Dave's guitar work is "mighty fine." That's southern for damn good smile And that is one powerful convincing vocal.

Take all that and add a terrific bass foundation, an excellent mix and you have a, simply stated, great production including the vid that no doubt took a ton of work.

Wowzers!

J&B
This is deep!

I believe it may require a second listen.

A transcendental voyage into the inner sanctum of the mind.

Cool!

moto
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Marty,

you granted me the honor of listening to this song prior to publishing and I said that I liked the song, liked Dave's playing, but ... didn't understand the meaning of the lyrics.

It was very kind (and lenient) of you to help me approaching the lyrics with that synopsis - thanks so much for your patience - I think the lyrics are absolutely remarkable. Don't know many people (if any...) who could write something like this.

No doubt, Marty, you are a very special and eclectic human being.

All the best,

Stefan

Hi, Stefan!! Thanks!! If we ever get together, all I'm going to want to do is talk about and play your songs.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Had a bunch of listens to this tune. This is one of my favorites of yours Marty. Awesome vocal, lyric and backtrack. Daves guitar was excellent as well perfect for the song. Well done

Thank you, Scott!! So glad you like it.

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Big wow from me too, Marty. Love everything about this. Great vocal and of course wonderful playing from you and Dave. For some strange reason, something kind of reminds me of Marty Robbins. Though I don't recall Marty singing about the search for enlightenment...
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. Haha. Marty Robbins. I know him as the guy who always comes up when searching for myself. I remember him from Rosa's cantina. We were both searching for enlightenment then.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
What a great song. Well done. Lyrics are superb. Music and vocals are outstanding. Everyone plays their parts well, including BIAB.

Good video too.

Thanks for your very kind comment, jtpjtpjtp.
That's what I call the knockout punch, Marty!
I've loved this song ever since I heard the original demo, and had a blast working on it.

Thanks to everyone that that mentioned my part in this exceptional song smile
KILLER KILLER SONG!!! Always love your songs, your vocals, and your playing!!! AND I feel the same way about Dave!! GREAT stuff guys!!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Marty, superb production. The write and vocal are equally superb. Dave does his thing to perfection. There are no weak spots. A very very enjoyable listen. Tom

Thanks, Tom. For a bit there you were kinda my hero when I thought you were playing on the road for several months. Since you straightened me out, you're now my hero for your 5-month camping trip.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

You are an impressive songwriter—this is another great composition, and the vocal fits so well with it. Love all those internal rhymes and near rhymes in the lyrics—not an easy thing to do. Dave does a wonderful job on the guitar tracks . . . but whoever did the mixing . .. wow, everything sticks together just right. Impressive!

My best to you both,

Deej

WOW! Thanks so much, Deej. Thanks for noticing the internal rhymes. wink

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
loved those water drop fx in each ear.
my goodness this must have been a ton of work...
excellent sound pictures.
everything fab in fact.
i also like what you did with the bass.
THAT NOTE AT 3/10 BEAUTY HOLD !!

i mean it sincerely... this would blow away lots of songs
done with zillions of buks gear in big studios.
includeing the ending .<<<FAB.

fab/superb/wonderfull/fantastic are just a few words that come to mind. a zillion out of ten.
top of the pops.

merry xmas.KUDOS !!
om

Thanks, OM! [i like the e e cummings signature type] YES!! You mention that harmonic chord Dave plays at 3:10. I was floored by the whole solo (all of his tracks really), and he does another at the very end. You're so kind.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"Inside my dreams there's harmony that promises great things.
A primal voice now makes the choice and sweetly it too sings."

Janice selected the above for a quote.

The write is epic. Man, all those AABB rhymes are amazing. It would take Bud years to do that for one song smile It would make great poetry or even prose and your vocals and arrangement certainly make it a great song.

And as Janice said, Dave's guitar work is "mighty fine." That's southern for damn good smile And that is one powerful convincing vocal.

Take all that and add a terrific bass foundation, an excellent mix and you have a, simply stated, great production including the vid that no doubt took a ton of work.

Wowzers!

J&B

Thank you, Janice & Bud. You guys are mighty fine even all the way to the north. Very kind comment. Thank you so much for all your encouragement.

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
This is deep!

I believe it may require a second listen.

A transcendental voyage into the inner sanctum of the mind.

Cool!

moto

Thanks, Moto. I love that "A transcendental voyage into the inner sanctum of the mind."

Originally Posted By: edshaw
That's what I call the knockout punch, Marty!

Haha. Thanks, Ed. Now I gotta revive you.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I've loved this song ever since I heard the original demo, and had a blast working on it.

Thanks to everyone that that mentioned my part in this exceptional song smile

I can't mention you enough on this one, Dave. Your enthusiasm, guidance, and PLAYING for this one gave it the energy it needed. Yeah, your arps are perfect and your fills add so much, but that solo... man, it doesn't get any better than that.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
KILLER KILLER SONG!!! Always love your songs, your vocals, and your playing!!! AND I feel the same way about Dave!! GREAT stuff guys!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. I was playing some of your songs for my 7 year-old granddaughter the other day, and she said, "Wow, Babu, you KNOW this guy?"
Hi Marty.
I like abstract lyrics. Gives me something to think about.
Very interesting song. Love the bass too.

Vic
Wow Marty,

This is a fantastic song!
Great music and guitar solo.
And your vocals are top notch!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi Marty.
I like abstract lyrics. Gives me something to think about.
Very interesting song. Love the bass too.

Vic

Thanks, Vic. Glad you got into it.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow Marty,

This is a fantastic song!
Great music and guitar solo.
And your vocals are top notch!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, Rob and Anne-Marie, I really like all your stuff on YouTube, too.
Wow. You are a top, top-notch musician, that much is clear. The text is thought-provoking, the production seamless. Dave Bell does a tremendous job, here, too. The bass and singing are excellent. As you may gather, I like it :-)

Someone (I think it was Janice and Bud) mentioned the word "epic". That just about sums it up, for me. Well done!!!
Marty and Dave, this is hands down my favorite track you guys have done! I think it's hitting high marks in every area! Marty, the vocal is your best to date IMHO! Dave's guitar work really makes this track sound sweet! Those arpeggios throughout really give the track a distinctive sound! Great work all around! Thanks, Torrey
Hi Marty,

This is something different, isn't it? Very, very well done!
I really enjoyed hearing you singing that (big) lyrics and you did that with passion!
Far away in the distance I got some feelings from that Rawhide song, if you can remenber that.
But far better and more distinguished, so I hope I didn't offend you.
And I had a nice listen to it in a warm sojourn, so to say...

Have a nice weekend, Marty!
Hans
Terrific job on both song and video Marty.
Sometimes long songs don't hold my attention. You kept me listening all the way from start to finish. Kudos to Dave too.

Josie

Ride the snake!
The snake is long!
Seven miles!
Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain!
The blue bus is calling us!
Weird scenes inside the gold mine!

I knew Mojo wasn't dead.

He's alive!

It's Marty! And Robby Krieger is Dave!!

Whoah!!!!!!!!!

Riders on the Storm man!

Time to dance with the spirit of a million golden dawns and break on through to the other side!!!!

Goodbye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[.............]

Transmission ends. Silence.
Marty,

Great production!
It has very philosophical lyrics.
Your vocal and Dave's guitar are wonderful.
Perfect collaboration.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
This is a finely textured production.

The bass and Dave's guitars are out of this world and give the song its unique, pleasing sound.

Utterly fantastically done!
Originally Posted By: musician17
Wow. You are a top, top-notch musician, that much is clear. The text is thought-provoking, the production seamless. Dave Bell does a tremendous job, here, too. The bass and singing are excellent. As you may gather, I like it :-)

Someone (I think it was Janice and Bud) mentioned the word "epic". That just about sums it up, for me. Well done!!!

Thanks, James. I'm really happy you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty and Dave, this is hands down my favorite track you guys have done! I think it's hitting high marks in every area! Marty, the vocal is your best to date IMHO! Dave's guitar work really makes this track sound sweet! Those arpeggios throughout really give the track a distinctive sound! Great work all around! Thanks, Torrey

Very kind of you, Torrey. Man, I really like Here's My Cup, your new one.

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty,

This is something different, isn't it? Very, very well done!
I really enjoyed hearing you singing that (big) lyrics and you did that with passion!
Far away in the distance I got some feelings from that Rawhide song, if you can remenber that.
But far better and more distinguished, so I hope I didn't offend you.
And I had a nice listen to it in a warm sojourn, so to say...

Have a nice weekend, Marty!
Hans

Thanks, Hans. Your kind words are always such a treat to read.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Terrific job on both song and video Marty.
Sometimes long songs don't hold my attention. You kept me listening all the way from start to finish. Kudos to Dave too.

Josie

Thanks for staying with us, Josie. I really enjoy your YouTube channel.
Great song/production... Vocal is outstanding, as are the added guitars... Lyrics are deep & thoughtful, and the Video is way cool... What's not to like?
Wow! I love every aspect of this production...especially your explanation of what the song's about? I get it (well, no not really) But it's fantastic...I would love to come up with a total production from really cool song to great arrangement to super performance to crisp clear and clean final product like this...and the video...Bravo!
© PG Music Forums