PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Callin' Your Bluff - 11/28/21 01:52 PM
Callin' Your Bluff

I originally posted this about 4 years ago. Hope you don't mind me reposting. But, I've cleaned it up quite a bit and remastered it. It's an understated acoustic blues somewhat in the style of Leon Redbone. The vocal is accompanied by an all acoustic trio.

That pic of me on Soundcloud was taken in 1963, when I was 16 years old. Color TV was the new status symbol - Ha!

Title: Callin’ Your Bluff

File:Callin’ Your Bluff.SGU
Key=G, Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=3:54
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,

Title: Calling Your Bluff
File:Callin' Your Bluff.SGU
Key=G , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=3:59
tyle is _CARRYON.STY (Carry On Even Acoustic Blues)

RealTracks in song: ~2475:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2677:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm BluesStraightBrent Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: DrivingPop8ths^01-a:HiHat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare

(Yep - just three instruments)

Note: That "glitch" at 2:51 happened in the upload to Soundcloud - tried several times but it was there each time. Not on my original tracks. Cyber mysteries!

Open to any and all comments/suggestions about any part of the presentation. Thanks for listening!

Callin’ Your Bluff
© 2018 Alan D. David, BMI

(v1)
Now listen honey, I don’t need you here no more
Go pack your things, take them with you to the door
I liked my life, exactly as it was before

(v2)
You’ve been sneakin’, baby you been messin’ around
You can’t deny it, cuz the word’s all over town
And while you’re packin’, don’t forget your cheater’s crown

CHORUS
I gave you everything that you ever wanted
But I guess that just ain’t enough
You have a wayward heart, and a need of the evil sort
Such a mean disposition and an attitude that’s off the chart
Goodbye baby, cuz I’m calling your bluff

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

(v3)
Don’t come cryin’, I got no will to dry your tears
If you got no hankie, they probably got one down at Sears
I’m done as your fool, like I was for all those years

REPEAT CHORUS

TAG
Adios baby, I'm callin' your bluff
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/28/21 04:23 PM
Hello Alan
You have written a great song
Nice BiaB background track with well chosen instruments
Your vocals fit the song very well
Great photo, Alan
You did a really good job
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/28/21 05:30 PM
Alan, you nailed the acoustic blues. Super backing tracks and an outstanding vocal.

Great blues song!

Two thumbs up
Posted By: dcuny Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/28/21 08:50 PM
Sounds great!

But... what is this "Sears" you speak of? whistle
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/28/21 10:37 PM
Hi Alan,

Yes - excellent song, instrumentation and vocals.

Well done

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/29/21 10:14 AM
Alan,

A bluesy-jazzy-swampy delight.

Good vocal. Good mix. Good song.

Much enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/29/21 02:05 PM
Alan,
Neat tune. Did not hear original tune, but this sounds great. A+ arrangement and production. Enjoyed it!
"...they probably got one down at Sears" smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/29/21 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Alan
You have written a great song
Nice BiaB background track with well chosen instruments
Your vocals fit the song very well
Great photo, Alan
You did a really good job
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi! I'm glad to hear everything fall's in place as it should. I appreciate you listening and commenting so nicely. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/29/21 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Alan, you nailed the acoustic blues. Super backing tracks and an outstanding vocal.

Great blues song!

Two thumbs up

Hey Mario ...

When I originally cut this one, it was a pretty quick time frame - about 2 days from start to finish. It took me about an hour to do a little clean up and remastering. So, not a lot of time put into the project. But the simplicity of the band and a quick lyric write translated to a decent project in a shirt period of time.

I'll take the two thumbs up any day - thanks! Wishing you and yours the very best.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/29/21 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Sounds great!

But... what is this "Sears" you speak of? whistle

Hi David ...

Glad to hear it sounds great to you ears. Thanks for letting me know.

When I originally penned to lyric, Sears was still hanging on. But, they're pretty much irrelevant today - only 27 stores still open. And one of them is closing before year's end. Kinda sad! I used to shop there quite a bit.

Wishing you & yours all the best. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/29/21 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Alan,

Yes - excellent song, instrumentation and vocals.

Well done

Best Regards
Nigel

HI Nigel ...

Great to hear from you. Thanks for dropping in for a listen. Glad it all fits where it should in your ears. Thanks for letting me know. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: edshaw Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/29/21 06:29 PM
Glad I heard that!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/30/21 07:16 AM
Alan, that is definitely one of my favorites - sooooo good.

Love that genre anyway, and whatever complaints you may with your singing: I dig it even more every time I hear it. It fits this song so incedibly well.

And I love the lyrics:

'Don’t come cryin’, I got no will to dry your tears
If you got no hankie, they probably got one down at Sears'

That's the way I lie it !!!!

Alan, that was a treat - thanks so much.

All the best to Di and you - hope that things get at least a bit easioer for you both.

Take good care of each other,

Stefan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/30/21 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

A bluesy-jazzy-swampy delight.

Good vocal. Good mix. Good song.

Much enjoyed.

fj

Thanks a bunch, Floyd. When I originally wrote this, the lyric came to me in less than 2 hours. BIAB pretty much covered all questions and goals I had for the music. I even gave my voice a but of a tune=-up before singing! It came together pretty quickly. Glad you enjoyed it again. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/30/21 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Alan,
Neat tune. Did not hear original tune, but this sounds great. A+ arrangement and production. Enjoyed it!
"...they probably got one down at Sears" smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hi Misha ...

Thanks for the listen and the very nice comments, I appreciate both. An A+ from you is a little nugget of gold within itself - thanks! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/30/21 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Glad I heard that!

Ed ...

I'm glad you did, too! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. Wishing you everything good.

Alan
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/30/21 05:50 PM
Sort of a suave version of JJ Cale. Very nice! Enjoyed it a lot, and like everyone else, I got a kick out of the Sears line. Great work!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 11/30/21 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Alan, that is definitely one of my favorites - sooooo good.

Love that genre anyway, and whatever complaints you may with your singing: I dig it even more every time I hear it. It fits this song so incedibly well.

And I love the lyrics:

'Don’t come cryin’, I got no will to dry your tears
If you got no hankie, they probably got one down at Sears'

That's the way I lie it !!!!

Alan, that was a treat - thanks so much.

All the best to Di and you - hope that things get at least a bit easioer for you both.

Take good care of each other,

Stefan

HI Stefan ...

First, give Maha a big hug from Diana and me. And tell her we think about her every day.

Well, it's always a treat hearing from you. As far as that line you quoted: Sears was the largest and most famous department store chain in the US for close to 100 years. They had almost 4,000 stores. Now they have only 26 stores and they probably will be gone in a couple of years. So, a lot of younger Americans probably won't relate to that line very well. But, like you, it's my favorite line in the song.

Thanks for all the very nice words, my dear friend. Hope all is as good as can be for both of you. Take good care.

Alan & Diana
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 01:46 AM
My kind of music, Alan (I'm quite a fan of Leon Redbone, by the way). Excellent write and your vocal suits it to a tee. Love the photo, too.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 02:26 AM
Hello Alan,

Very nice blues song!
Your vocal perfectly fits this.
3 piece acoustic band is very cool.
Your instrumental tunes are great, of course, but your vocal songs are much more characteristic.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rayc Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 05:03 AM
Well resurrected Al,
A tasty bit of acoustic blues.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 06:22 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Sort of a suave version of JJ Cale. Very nice! Enjoyed it a lot, and like everyone else, I got a kick out of the Sears line. Great work!

Hello TN ...

yeah, I think you're right about a little bit of JJ Cale sound to it. I'll take that as a really great compliment - thanks! That Sears line just came from no where. Glad it did!

Many thanks! Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 06:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
My kind of music, Alan (I'm quite a fan of Leon Redbone, by the way). Excellent write and your vocal suits it to a tee. Love the photo, too.
Regards,
Leon

Hi leon ...

So nice to hear from you. I, too, am a big Leon Redbone fan. We lost a good when he passed. I had to think twice about posting that picture - didn't want to give too many folks nightmares.

Many thanks for the listen and your really nice comments. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 06:26 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello Alan,

Very nice blues song!
Your vocal perfectly fits this.
3 piece acoustic band is very cool.
Your instrumental tunes are great, of course, but your vocal songs are much more characteristic.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki ...

Thank you for your very nice comments. I do appreciate them. Glad you liked the vocal on this one. Thank you for letting me know.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 06:27 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Well resurrected Al,
A tasty bit of acoustic blues.

Hello Ray ...

Sometimes just a few words say a lot. Thank you for the kinf words. Much appreciated. Wishing you the best ...

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 12:46 PM
Alan, nice little 3 piece acoustic blues piece. Good vocal. Sometimes simple is so much better. With all the instrument choice in BIAB it can be quite difficult not to be tempted into overproduction. Nicely done, Tom
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 01:14 PM
Hi Tom ...

Glad you liked the song. And yeah, narrowing it down to just a few instruments can be a tough decision. But, I got lucky with this band - it's the three instruments indigenous to the style. So, I didn't change anything - just went with the guys BIAB had already selected. It's usually not that easy!

Thanks again. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 02:06 PM
Love how you switch genres so effortlessly. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent backtrack. Guitar was perfect. Well done
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 07:52 PM
Good song. It's new to me. Yes, I can hear Leon Redbone doing this. You captured the mood perfectly. Good use of the band.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/01/21 09:50 PM
This song HAD to have YOUR voice on it. It is an absolutely perfect fit to this excellent song.

I love it when someone can put together a song with exactly what it needs. Nothing more, nothing less. It shows you know what you're doing.

I truly enjoyed this and love the vibe of it. I don't anyone else on the forum could pull off what you just did.

Thanks a million for making this song!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/02/21 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love how you switch genres so effortlessly. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent backtrack. Guitar was perfect. Well done

Hi Scott ...

I've always enjoyed listening to, and playing, various genres of music. Growing up I listen to a lot of classic country, pop rock of the era and jazz (Tony Bennet, Etta James, etc.).

Glad it works for you. I appreciate you letting me know. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/02/21 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Good song. It's new to me. Yes, I can hear Leon Redbone doing this. You captured the mood perfectly. Good use of the band.

jpt3 ...

Thank ya so much. Leon Redbone was quirky and unique - but so danged entertaining. I started out to just do a traditional bluesy acoustic. But as I played with the lyric and started singing, it just fell into the Redbone feel, so I went with it. Glad you liked it.

Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/02/21 01:38 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
This song HAD to have YOUR voice on it. It is an absolutely perfect fit to this excellent song.

I love it when someone can put together a song with exactly what it needs. Nothing more, nothing less. It shows you know what you're doing.

I truly enjoyed this and love the vibe of it. I don't anyone else on the forum could pull off what you just did.

Thanks a million for making this song!

Hi Aaron ...

So, what does one say after such a wonderful review? First, a very heartfelt thank you. With most acoustic compositions I venture into, I try to keep them relatively simple. The acoustic sound aura, to me, begs for a direct, simple production. Let each instrument do its job and stay out their respective paths. If you clutter it too much, it starts to sound more like cacophonous noise. So, that's my approach, in simplest terms.

Your kind words were so much more than I had anticipated I would receive. You made an old guy very happy! Many sincere thanks!

Hope all is well with you & yours. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/02/21 10:56 AM
Simply sensational, Alan. Love the changes, and the prefect vocal. The all-acoustic band was a great choice. So good, and a very interesting blues song. And, man, you looked like one bad-[*****] dude when the Beatles landed in the US.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/02/21 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Simply sensational, Alan. Love the changes, and the prefect vocal. The all-acoustic band was a great choice. So good, and a very interesting blues song. And, man, you looked like one bad-[*****] dude when the Beatles landed in the US.

Thank you so much, Marty. I'm delighted you liked it. It was one of those things that just happened. No long story of inspiration or the like. Sometimes the muse just throws something at you and you thank her and go with it.

When I look at those earlier pics of myself, I'm always amused - no mustache! The last time I shaved off my mustache was November of 1971. Ha!

Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/03/21 01:29 AM
Alan,

Terrific tune—the vocal shines; the acoustic guitar is crisp and polished. Great vibe to it. Thanks for reposting—a cool listen!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/03/21 10:18 AM
Hi Deej ...

Many thanks for those very kind words - sure do appreciate it. Wishi8nbg you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/05/21 12:48 PM
A nice slinky vocal backed by the perfect sparse band.

"Don’t come cryin’, I got no will to dry your tears
If you got no hankie, they probably got one down at Sears
I’m done as your fool, like I was for all those years"

Cool. And soon Sears shall pass.

The pic is worth the price of admission. My mother used to have one of Bud of that style hanging around the house. The main difference? I had Beach Boys bleached blond hair. 1963 ya know smile

J&B
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/05/21 01:23 PM
Loved the vocals on this..........perfect fit!

Smooth as a silk pie.

PS
I didn't reach color TV status until the mid 70s.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Callin' Your Bluff - 12/05/21 01:31 PM
Hi Alan,
Nice to hear one of your songs again!
We don't remember if we heard it years ago, but it really sounds great now!
The band is just enough for this kind of song and your voice sounds so well!

Rob and Anne-Marie
© PG Music Forums