PG Music Home
Hello Folks,
This new mix has Aaron Taylor's backing vocals and Alison Reynold's cello.
I did do a mix with cello RTs but I wanted something a little "riffier" and Alison provided that.

Drums (RockNorthern^4) and organ (2692..a bloody beauty) and high female bvox Shelley someone I'll add the details later.

Falconio with bvox & cello

A Little more tweaking to cello and vocals mainly:
Falconio 071221

Comments, suggestions, critiques and ideas are most welcome.

Lyric...
British back packers
Orange Kombi
Desert highway
Darkness in white

Something unspoken
Something understood
Something unwritten
Something unseen
Something: just something

A white four wheel drive
Handle bar moustache
Tailing and sparks seen
Duct tape and a gun

Someone unspoken
Someone understood
Someone unwritten
Someone unseen
Someone: just someone

Somehow unspoken
Somehow understood
Somehow unwritten
Somehow unseen
Somehow: just somehow

Media frenzy
Victim expose'
Policing failures
A death as theatre
Ominous arrangement suits the grisly subject matter well. A lot of effort went into this obviously, and it has paid off. Vocals are fine, I wish they weren't so buried. If you were doing music like Greg Johnson, you would have a problem. But for the kind of music you do, I think your vocals are fine and could do without the subterfuge. JMHO, others don't seem to have a problem. Otherwise, a fine piece of work!
Backtrack suited the dark lyric and vocal. Well done
rayc,

Music bed is sounding great—those backing vocals are very sweet. I do think the lead vocal can come forward a bit more—as Tunemonger mentioned, it’s good, just perhaps a bit buried. See what others think. Really cool to see the progression of this song!

All my best,

Deej
"Ominous." I like that word, TuneMonger. Yes, Ray, this is gloriously ominous. I really dig the vocal. Your chord progressions are always very creative. Man, that cello is awesome. Wonderful melody and well-played. After the cello, the ominous part seems to be lifted, like "What were you afraid of?" The lryics fit so well, although I don't really "get it."
Ray,

This is one to...JUST listen. Wraps around you and transport you to another place and time. A dark one. With copious amounts of smoke (of various flavors). And alcohol. Black lights.

Has a Floyd vibe. (That other Floyd).

Cool.

Trippy.

fj
Ray, this is fantastic!

This reminded me of the Stones' Satanic Majesties Request album. I think this would fit right into that album.

Everything about this one is perfect IMHO.

Since I love that Stones album you know I love this song.

This is your best to date IMHO.
You nailed it I think, Ray. Excellent!
Like being immersed in a trans.
Rather hypnotic.

The vocal is a bit washed in the reverb though.

Cool!

moto
Hi Ray,

that is quite a step forward, I think.

Sounds awesome !!! And the cello really adds more than just some spice.

I am amazed by how you can work with string panning without making it sound weird.

And I definitely love that earthy sound of the drums.

An amzung production, Sir !

Take care,

Stefan
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Vocals are fine, I wish they weren't so buried.

Thanks for the kind words.
there's not enough time or space to expand on the narrative so the few scratches of the story I could shove into the song remain dark and incomplete...the vocals being buried allow the lyric to be mere impressions of words. I THINK.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Backtrack suited the dark lyric and vocal. Well done

Thanks Scott, you're generous as usual.
Originally Posted By: Deej56
rayc,
Music bed is sounding great—those backing vocals are very sweet. I do think the lead vocal can come forward a bit more—as Tunemonger mentioned, it’s good, just perhaps a bit buried. See what others think. Really cool to see the progression of this song!
All my best,
Deej

Thanks Deej,
A Major is the key that keeps giving.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Ray,
This is one to...JUST listen. Wraps around you and transport you to another place and time. A dark one. With copious amounts of smoke (of various flavors). And alcohol. Black lights.
Has a Floyd vibe. (That other Floyd).
Cool.
Trippy.
fj

Thanks Floyd,
Your observations mean I'm beginning to achieve what I set out for.
Interestingly, when I 1st started on this track my wife commented, (she rarely does as she doesn't like my music), that she liked the pleasant , gentle sound of the chords. Little did she know what I had planned!
Maybe a quad mix and a lava lamp.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Ray, this is fantastic!
This reminded me of the Stones' Satanic Majesties Request album. I think this would fit right into that album.
Everything about this one is perfect IMHO.
Since I love that Stones album you know I love this song.
This is your best to date IMHO.

Thanks Mario,
That is a nicely dark psych album isn't it? None of the cuteness with Music Hall and Baroque leanings of their contemporaries.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
You nailed it I think, Ray. Excellent!

Phanque Dave.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Like being immersed in a trans.
Rather hypnotic.
The vocal is a bit washed in the reverb though.
Cool!
moto

Thanks Moto,
I'll assume you meant to type trance though trans is fine too.
No main vocal reverb in the new mix.
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Ray,
that is quite a step forward, I think.
Sounds awesome !!! And the cello really adds more than just some spice.
I am amazed by how you can work with string panning without making it sound weird.
And I definitely love that earthy sound of the drums.
An amzung production, Sir !
Take care,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan,
The cello is nice...Alison bases most of her own songs around cello so is a deft hand.
I like panning things and moving them.
Ray,
Cool arrangement especially like what you done with strings. Bass playing is GREAT! I like all levels of the mix except for main vocals. To me, they are way too deep. Very creative track. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Love the feel of this Ray!! Great musical vibe and some interesting dark lyrics. It would be hard to make out all the words if I didn't read them because of the vocal processing which sounds great but makes it a bit difficult to understand. Very cool work!! Take care. Greg
The vocal gain sounds fine to us in both mixes. It enhances the entire vibe and fits the style well. Hey vocal gains vary per genre and subgenre smile

The cello is outstanding. The beauty of it might initially seem counterintuitive to the lyric but it's that very contrast that works for us.

Your bass is sublime. Janice's word and perfect.

An excellent production by any parameter!

J&B
My first thought was: that's a great use of space! Very atmospheric.

The vocals are completely buried, but I assume that's the intent. If the lyrics weren't written, I wouldn't have a clue.

Cello is very cool!
© PG Music Forums