PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Funked Up Friday - 12/05/21 07:28 PM
Funked Up Friday

Somewhat In The Style of Marco Parisi

Something a little different. I like just about all genres and styles of music. About a year ago I was playing around with some of the Modern Jazz RTs and styles. I came across this one and liked it. After a couple days of playing around with it, this is what I came up with.

I certainly don't claim this is of the same complexity as some of the funky Jazz Mr. Parisi plays, but it is, in my opinion, of a similar style. Perhaps Marco Parisi Extra-Light.

Anyway, hope some of you enjoy it. Yes, it's a slight bit busy in a few places. But when I removed the "offending" tracks, it sounded somewhat empty, so I left them.

I also like the little tag BIAB gave me at the ending!

Song Summary

File:Funked Up Friday.SGU
Key=F , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=2:16
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is _HONCHO.STY (Honcho Electronic Groove)

RealTracks in style: 3683:Bass, Synth, FunkJeff Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 3337:Piano, Electric, Rhythm FunkJeff Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 3249:Guitar, Electric, Background ModernFunkSingleNotesBob Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: ~1438:Piano, Electric, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
Loop in Song: Drums\WoodblocksEv[single]^01-Clve32LH
RealDrums [in style:ElecFunkJeffEv^1-a:Simple, Kick , b:BusySync, Kick

(c) 2021 Alan D. David, BMI
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/05/21 10:49 PM
Hi Alan,

That's two really good Funk songs in one day on this forum.

Keep up the good work you guys.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/06/21 11:12 AM
Sweltering, Alan. Emphasis on the swell. I wasn't offended by any of the tracks. Very interesting to listen to the individual players in the ensemble. That electric piano is wild. It creates a visual of rhythm in mayhem. Nah, "mayhem' holds too much destruction, and there is way too much creativity here to use that word. Very enjoyable, but so short.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/06/21 12:30 PM
Busy?......Yes but, pleasantly so.

You managed to keep everybody in their own lane while headed down the multi-lane highway.

Deluxe!

Moto
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/06/21 12:31 PM
Ho, ho, ho - Santa Al is coming to town. And look what he's got in his sack: Hily Crappola, THAT WAS ONE HECK OF A SURPRISE !!!!!!

Alan, Mr Know-them-all, that is just awesome. It may not be everybody's cup o' tea, but it sure is my cup. Cup? Ha, mug. Bucket. Vat. Silo. Pool.

I am really thankful that you posted this one, Alan - it's so encouraging to have a look at those hidden RT pearls.

Just soooooo good !!!

Take care and please give Di a big hug,

Stefan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/06/21 12:58 PM
Alan,

You always do impressive instrumentals. Well thought it, musical.

Excellent mix.

Good listen.

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/06/21 11:42 PM
That was a fun bit of rapid-fire playing! laugh
Posted By: Scott C Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/07/21 07:05 PM
Alan another creative turn in your creative pallet. Very cool song. Loved the mix. Well done
Posted By: rayc Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/08/21 01:27 AM
This is very cool but the "movement" of the lead keys across the stereo image was a little weird..id doesn't seem to follow the tonal layout of the Rhodes.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/08/21 08:27 AM
Hello Alan
Cool funk song
Good band selection
But really great is the end
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/08/21 08:36 AM
Nice band you've got there Alan.
I could listen to this stuff all day.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Alan,

That's two really good Funk songs in one day on this forum.

Keep up the good work you guys.

Best Regards
Nigel

Hi Nigel ...

Thanks for the listen and very nice comments. It's a genre that doesn't get a lot of attention on the pages, but one I like a lot. Not everybody's cup of tea for sure.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:22 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Sweltering, Alan. Emphasis on the swell. I wasn't offended by any of the tracks. Very interesting to listen to the individual players in the ensemble. That electric piano is wild. It creates a visual of rhythm in mayhem. Nah, "mayhem' holds too much destruction, and there is way too much creativity here to use that word. Very enjoyable, but so short.

Hey Marty ...

Thanks for the visit! Well, call it as you might (mayhem is ok!), it's a wild sound that appeals to me. I love just playing around in the halls of BIAB and seeing what's behind each door and what other doors have complimentary offerings.

Glad ya liked it! Thanks for letting me know!

Take care, my friend ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:23 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Busy?......Yes but, pleasantly so.

You managed to keep everybody in their own lane while headed down the multi-lane highway.

Deluxe!

Moto

Hey! thanks so much for dropping in for a listen. Much appreciated. I'm delighted it all sounds good to you. Yeah, I had to put in a few traffic lights here and there to keep everybody in their appointed place.

Many thanks. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Ho, ho, ho - Santa Al is coming to town. And look what he's got in his sack: Hily Crappola, THAT WAS ONE HECK OF A SURPRISE !!!!!!

Alan, Mr Know-them-all, that is just awesome. It may not be everybody's cup o' tea, but it sure is my cup. Cup? Ha, mug. Bucket. Vat. Silo. Pool.

I am really thankful that you posted this one, Alan - it's so encouraging to have a look at those hidden RT pearls.

Just soooooo good !!!

Take care and please give Di a big hug,

Stefan

Stefan ...

My great friend...

You are always much too kind. But that's okay! I can live with it.

Nope, not everyone's cup of tea. But like you, I could drink a barrel of it and be real happy. So gflad you liked it!

By the way, that promised email is almost finished and will be coming your way in about 2 hours.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:27 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

You always do impressive instrumentals. Well thought it, musical.

Excellent mix.

Good listen.

fj

Many thanks for all that, Floyd. I just enoy playing around inside BIAB and see what happens. Sometimes something good comes of it.

Appreciate the nice words. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:28 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
That was a fun bit of rapid-fire playing! laugh

Hey David ...

Yeah, rapid-fire for sure. Glad ya liked it!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Alan another creative turn in your creative pallet. Very cool song. Loved the mix. Well done

Hi Scott ...

Well, sometimes something good happens from just playing around. I'm delighted this playing around works for you.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:33 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This is very cool but the "movement" of the lead keys across the stereo image was a little weird..id doesn't seem to follow the tonal layout of the Rhodes.

Hi Ray ...

I'll take "cool" any day! As far as the movement of the keys, I apparently don't hear quite as much of it as you do. But when you're almost 75 freaking years old, your ears lie to you a lot! Or, on the other hand, they just don't tell ya much of anything!

Regardless, though, it's all in the way BIAB recorded in their studio. Any movement of that sort is out of my control. But, all in all, no real complaints about BIAB.

Glad ya liked it anyway!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:36 AM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Alan
Cool funk song
Good band selection
But really great is the end
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Hi Andi ...

Thank you very much. Glad you liked it! And yeah, I like that tag at the end, too! Thanks for the very nice comments!

Ich wünsche dir nur das Allerbeste.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/10/21 02:37 AM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Nice band you've got there Alan.
I could listen to this stuff all day.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,

Mike

HI Mike ...

Many thanks for the listen and nice comments! And I, too, could listen to a lot fo this and be real happy! Glad you enjoyed it!

Wishing you the very best ...

ALan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/12/21 11:53 AM
What a cool jazz funk mashup!

The jazzy licks make the business of the funk vibe a lot of fun.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/12/21 08:47 PM
I don't know a whole lot about jazz, but I do know that that sounded mighty good to me!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/13/21 10:13 PM
Very cool song Alan!!! I've never heard BIAB go there before.......killer job!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/13/21 10:26 PM
That's actually pretty cool. Prog jazz. Not something that many people can play well.

I like it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/13/21 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
What a cool jazz funk mashup!

The jazzy licks make the business of the funk vibe a lot of fun.

Well done!

J&B

Hey!

Thanks a bunch. Glad ya like it. It was just something that happened while I was messing around with some BIAB styles.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/13/21 10:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I don't know a whole lot about jazz, but I do know that that sounded mighty good to me!

Howdy!

I'm not so sure how much I *KNOW* about Jazz, but I do know I like it and play around with it quite a bit. Nice to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/13/21 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool song Alan!!! I've never heard BIAB go there before.......killer job!!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg!

Glad ya stopped in for a listen. That's a style from a couple of years ago. But Modern Jazz isn't a big deal on the forums, so it rarely shows up. Just thought I'd put it out there. I think there a re many styles that get overlooked on a regular basis. Sometimes I go looking for them. Thanks for the kindness - much appreciated.

Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/13/21 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That's actually pretty cool. Prog jazz. Not something that many people can play well.

I like it.

Howdy Herb ...

Thank ya much! pretty cool works just fine for me. I don't play it well, but BIAB plays the hell out of it!

Many thanks. Take care,

Alan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 01:20 AM
Alan,
Neat fusion of styles. Probably one of the most off beat tunes I have heard by you. Pop or funk, love your arrangements. Those "offending" tracks are the special sauce smile Mix A+. Listens very well! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 01:52 AM
Alan

Excellent instrumental - but not surprising as you always excel with your tunes.

Nicely done.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 05:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Alan,
Neat fusion of styles. Probably one of the most off beat tunes I have heard by you. Pop or funk, love your arrangements. Those "offending" tracks are the special sauce smile Mix A+. Listens very well! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha ...

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, a little different from what I usually post. I do listen to this genre a fair amount but don't post much as it isn't a real popular genre. But I'm glad you liked it. I appreciate you letting me know. Glad that "special sauce" works for you!!!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 05:22 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

Excellent instrumental - but not surprising as you always excel with your tunes.

Nicely done.

Peter

HI Peter ...

Thanks for dropping in to take a listen. I appreciate those kind words - put a smile on my face! Hope all is well with you.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: rsdean Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 08:57 AM
Alan,

Love this. Fresh sounding and certainly funky. You have a great musical ear.

Bob
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 11:58 AM
Hi Alan excellent mix love your contributions always have been listening to your stuff a long time !!! thanks Eric
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Alan excellent mix love your contributions always have been listening to your stuff a long time !!! thanks Eric

Hi Eric ...

Thank you very much. That was very kind of you to say. I'm more than delight4ed you like what I post. That's a real feather in my hat! Again, many thanks! Wishing you the very best.

Take care,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/14/21 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

Love this. Fresh sounding and certainly funky. You have a great musical ear.

Bob

HI Bob ...

I guess I just didn't see your comment until now. Duh! Getting old has it challenges!

Thanks a bunch for your nice words. I don't know so much about the "great ear". I just know when something sounds decent to me and then go with it. You - well, you have such a distinctive style - and it's a great style! Love your really creative posts!!!!

Thanks again. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 12:09 AM

Loved this Alan.

Gonna look up this style right now!

smile
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 12:27 AM
Nice production. The band sizzles. Sounds good.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 02:07 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Loved this Alan.

Gonna look up this style right now!

smile

Hey David ...

Many thanks! I just happened to run across per chance. Looking forward to what you might do with it! You have a very crafty mind when it comes to music creation & production!

Best to you. Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice production. The band sizzles. Sounds good.

Good Morning or Very L:ate Night, Wherever You Are ...

I appreciate all that. Thanks a bunch!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 02:53 AM
Alan,

I missed this one along the way . . . glad it got bumped up. There’s a lot of artistry here putting all of this together—the mixing must have been a bear . . . but you did an excellent job. I’m not a jazz aficionado by any means, but sounds good to me. Nicely done!

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 06:08 AM
Hey Deej ...

Thanks for the visit! G lad ya liked it. It took me about 10 hours total from the inception to finished - 2 days, about 5 hours each day. So, it wasn't too bad. Actually, the hardest part was finding a "fancy" chord arrangement to show of the keys. But, I guess it worked out pretty good. Appreciate your kind words.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 06:21 AM
Oh, wow!

Lots to like about this! Funky, jazzy, rhythmical, full or fusion, and much more.

Seriously neat.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Oh, wow!

Lots to like about this! Funky, jazzy, rhythmical, full or fusion, and much more.

Seriously neat.

Hi VT ...

What more could I ask for in a quick, to-the-point review? I appreciate that very, very much. Glad you enjoyed it!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 12:26 PM
Great job! That Jeff Lorber RT is a winner, keeps the listener interested throughout the piece. Appreciate all the work you put into this.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 03:24 PM
Wowee!!! :-) Brilliant!!! Simply brilliant.

Builds and builds, better and better. Wow. The legends of piano jazz would be so proud - and rightly so, in my view. Bravo :-)
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great job! That Jeff Lorber RT is a winner, keeps the listener interested throughout the piece. Appreciate all the work you put into this.

Hi Bob ...

Yeah, that is one sweet RT! I may have to explore it a little more sometime in the not-too-distant future.

So glad you enjoyed it! I only have about 10 hours of work, total, in this. Coming up with a nifty chord progression was the most difficult part. This stuff needs more than G-C-D!

I appreciate the visit and kindness. Many thanks.

Take care,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Funked Up Friday - 12/15/21 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Wowee!!! :-) Brilliant!!! Simply brilliant.

Builds and builds, better and better. Wow. The legends of piano jazz would be so proud - and rightly so, in my view. Bravo :-)

Hello James ...

Always puts a smile on my face when I see you've commented on one of my tunes.

I sure do appreciate all those very, very nice words! I've become a big fan of Modern Jazz - particularly when it's got some funk rolled in with it. I think the target audience for the genre is a bit limited but I'm happy to be a member of that group.

I sincerely appreciate your visit and supportive words. Thanks so much.

Take care ...

Alan
© PG Music Forums