PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/06/21 10:16 AM
Imagine you're back in the early 60's - when Life was simple. 'Beat groups' sprang up everywhere and some, like the Shadows and The Ventures became guitar instrumentsl mega stars. And are still revered today.
So this tune goes right back to those roots from 60 years ago - just Bass, Rhythm guitar, Drums and Lead guitar, with a little extra 'strings' in the chorus as was typical of the time.
Tracks -
RealTracks in song: 1174:Bass, Electric, PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 1841:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveHigh Ev16 075
RealDrums [in Song:PopRock16ths^03-a:Sidestick, HiHat, b:Snare, HiHat
Relax and enjoy.
https://app.box.com/s/71yvuxma36z2vj9zwt8gy4wc7ik5ytlo
https://soundcloud.com/sixchannel/shadows-of-evening-c1961-edition?si=f7bc85b2e1a441f9a2daeb018f04cb90
Bests
Ian
Posted By: Crossroads Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/06/21 12:12 PM
Hi Ian,

that era is in my DNA ! And I've been a Strat lover ever since. Man, how differently could it sound: That Shadows tone, Jimi, Rory Gallagher, those Surfer bands and and and.

But the sound you come up with here is undoubtedly the original one, and you do it really proud.

Very, very nice !

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/06/21 12:21 PM

Hey Ian,

This really takes me back.

Warm, soothing sounds.

Great chord progression.

Well mixed!! Lovely.

smile
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/06/21 12:42 PM
SHADOWS IT IS!

Very tasty bit.

A pleasant throwback to yesteryear.

well done.

moto
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/06/21 01:01 PM
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the listen - I enjoyed your song and guitar playing.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: dcuny Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/06/21 11:39 PM
Hi, Ian.

As someone else said, nice throwback sound and melody. smile
Posted By: CBO Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/07/21 05:36 AM
Good morning!
What a sweet and memorable tune. You would have done Hank Marvin proud
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/07/21 01:04 PM
Hi Stefan, David, moto, Nigel, dcuny, and CBO (wobbyG) and thank you for your kind comments.
They are much appreciated.
Surprised to find how 60's the BB RT Calypso tracks are. Very useful.
Hoping that more Retro RTs are in Santa's 2022 RT sack.
Best regards
Ian
Posted By: rayc Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/08/21 01:32 AM
That's one weird stereo image.
Nice playing & writing.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/08/21 08:01 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's one weird stereo image.
Nice playing & writing.

Hi Ray
Thanks for the kind feedback
I've PMd you about the mix.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/08/21 08:05 AM
Hello Ian
The sound is very well done
Just like you wanted it
Very well done
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/08/21 11:13 AM
Hi Andi
Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/08/21 12:46 PM
sc.
brilliant ...you are one talented player.
kninavhram would be impressed. of that i'm sure.

superb.
om
Posted By: Scott C Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/08/21 02:26 PM
Lovely song. Guitar tone and playing were excellent. Hank Marvin for sure... Well done
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/08/21 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
sc.
brilliant ...you are one talented player.
kninavhram would be impressed. of that i'm sure.

superb.
om

lol! Thank you. i'm sure I cant even begin to compete with good old Nivram.
Bests
ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/09/21 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song. Guitar tone and playing were excellent. Hank Marvin for sure... Well done

Hi Scott
Thank you for your feedback. HBM is a big guitar hero of mine - along with nany others.
If it sounded anything like his style, I'm thrilled.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: floyd jane Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/09/21 10:57 AM
Ian,

A very nice piece. Excellent playing, terrific tone.

Nice backing. Good mix.

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/09/21 11:02 AM
Outstanding, Ian. You captured the times and mood so well. Shadows are often described with sinister or hidden things --something to avoid, but your Shadows Of Evening are so very inviting.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/09/21 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Ian,

A very nice piece. Excellent playing, terrific tone.

Nice backing. Good mix.

Enjoyed.

fj

Thank you, Floyd. Much appreciated.
I'd like more 60s styled RTs in 2022 and then we could get really retro. Lol
Bests
Ian
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/09/21 05:05 PM
You have captured the Shadows vibe very well. Well constructed and nicely played. If HBM ran out of ideas, I'm sure he would enjoy playing your tune. Well done.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/09/21 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Outstanding, Ian. You captured the times and mood so well. Shadows are often described with sinister or hidden things --something to avoid, but your Shadows Of Evening are so very inviting.

Hi Marty
Thank you for your kind comment. Yes, not all 'shadows' contain gbosties and ghoulies. These guys were great fun.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: MarioD Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/09/21 09:31 PM
Flashback to the 60's is spot on. Ian you captured the essence of The Shadows perfectly, from the guitar's tone, to the backing tracks, to the mix.

My kind of music.

Loved it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/10/21 02:15 AM
Hi Ian ...

As a lead guitar player who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, I really appreciate this! And yes, very nice throwback to the "Shadows" style.

I was a huge Ventures fan. "Walk Don't Run" was one of the first instrumentals I learned to play - sometime around 1964. The clarity of all the tracks is a real treat.

My wife and I were talking about growing up in the 50s and 60s several days ago. We almost concurrently said what we miss most about those years was the innocence. Your song represented that so vividly. Really a sweet listen. Sweet!!!!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/10/21 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Flashback to the 60's is spot on. Ian you captured the essence of The Shadows perfectly, from the guitar's tone, to the backing tracks, to the mix.

My kind of music.

Loved it.

Hi Mario
Thanks for your kind comment. I grew up with that kind of sound.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/10/21 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Ian ...

As a lead guitar player who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, I really appreciate this! And yes, very nice throwback to the "Shadows" style.

I was a huge Ventures fan. "Walk Don't Run" was one of the first instrumentals I learned to play - sometime around 1964. The clarity of all the tracks is a real treat.

My wife and I were talking about growing up in the 50s and 60s several days ago. We almost concurrently said what we miss most about those years was the innocence. Your song represented that so vividly. Really a sweet listen. Sweet!!!!

Take care ...

Alan

Thanks Alan
They WERE the best of times. We live in such hatd, cold times these days. All Innocence lost. How sad. All We can do is remember those good times.
I never learned Walk Dont Run. I was too intent on Apache at the time. Now its a sraple of my gigs - if there ever are going to be any.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: RnAM Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/11/21 10:47 AM
Hi Ian,

Oh yes!
The return of the Shadows smile
We like this sound of the sixties
Very well done.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/11/21 11:45 PM
Perfect guitar tone and the playing was spot on. Well done.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/12/21 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Ian,

Oh yes!
The return of the Shadows smile
We like this sound of the sixties
Very well done.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Ni Rod & Ange-Marie. Thank you. The 60’s were the best of times.
Bests
Ian
PS - great website and Yt site.
NICE!!! A sweet song played beautifully.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/12/21 06:12 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Perfect guitar tone and the playing was spot on. Well done.

Thank you, Mr TuneMonger smile
Bests
Ian
You've created a time machine. I love this sound, and you make it sound like it leapt right off a 45 (without all the snap, crackle, and pops). Well done!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/13/21 09:44 AM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
NICE!!! A sweet song played beautifully.
Cheers,
Mike

G'day Mike
Glad you enjoyed it.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/13/21 07:10 PM
You really nailed the genre and era. That tremelo reverb guitar and the part that really makes it superb, is your excellent choice of chords. That puts it over the top.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/14/21 05:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
You've created a time machine. I love this sound, and you make it sound like it leapt right off a 45 (without all the snap, crackle, and pops). Well done!

Hi E S
Thanks for your kind comments.
In hindsight the Lead guitar tone is a bit 'boomy' but the concept works.
Couldn't have done it without Band In A Box.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/14/21 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
You really nailed the genre and era. That tremelo reverb guitar and the part that really makes it superb, is your excellent choice of chords. That puts it over the top.

Hi Herb
Thank you. The guitar runs through a pre-programmed Alesis Q2 echo unit, much like the guys did 60 yrs back.
Chords. I likes chords. The sequence owes a lot to Mr Floyd Jane whose use of m7b5 (the half dimished) chords was a light bulb moment for me. It really helps when working out a sequence for BB to do its magic.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/14/21 10:13 PM
Ian, yes the word "Shadows" has multiple meanings with this classically presented number.

An excellent choice of backing musicians, the Latin rhythm was an ideal choice, and then all of this blended together into a perfect mix.

Lots to like about this number. Great!

Trev
Posted By: sixchannel Re: SHADOWS OF EVENING - C1961 edition - 12/16/21 06:09 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Ian, yes the word "Shadows" has multiple meanings with this classically presented number.

An excellent choice of backing musicians, the Latin rhythm was an ideal choice, and then all of this blended together into a perfect mix.

Lots to like about this number. Great!

Trev

Hi Trev, thank you for your kind comments. Much appreciated.
The "Shadows" was an intentional pun of course and the Calypso guitar RTs lend themselves well to this 60s Ballad instro style. I wish there were more retro guitar and RD Real Tracks. Lots of Surf ones but the 60s wasnt all beach & babes. Or was it? ;-)
Bests
Ian
© PG Music Forums