PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Old Friend - 12/11/21 03:31 PM
From an old tune to a new one....

This was a quick write actually. One of those that just flows. I was thinking about my friend Danny.

The band...... There is no band.

Well, the piano is RT 2870.

I play the acoustic guitar and mandolin, and sing one track of vocal.

Old Friend

This is a new mix. Changes are a word change and delete a word.... track levels and misc behind the scenes stuff. Lower level of verb overall, and a touch of compression. Also some pronunciation fixes.

Comments and questions are appreciated.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Old Friend - 12/11/21 03:48 PM
Hello Herb
What a fantastic song
The melody and the vocals are just great
Your guitar work is really good
This song really touched me
It is so important in life to have friends, but even more important I think that you are not forgotten
Thank you Herb for this great song and for thinking of Danny.
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Al-David Re: Old Friend - 12/11/21 05:23 PM
Herb ...

This is the basic roots of good music. This takes it to the barebones. It's just a voice and a small bit of accompaniment. It lays it on the line and true skill is revealed.

This is really, really good, Herb. Very emotional but with a spirit of love and appreciation. We don't appreciate the true value of a good friend until they're gone - either literally or for practical purposes. We tend to take it for granted it's just what we know in our daily lives, but don't really stop to think about the big role they play in our lives. i could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I've not heard many songs that capture this message any better than this one. It literally put a tear in my eye. My very best friend, ever, passed away several years ago. I miss hum so dang much it hurts.

Yeah, Herb, very inspirational and done so nicely. Thanks for the reminder.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Old Friend - 12/11/21 05:54 PM
Everything sounds great.
Nice write.
I really like the guitar and mandolin.

Well done.

moto
Posted By: dcuny Re: Old Friend - 12/11/21 06:00 PM
I heard the mandolin, and thought That's really nice, wondering what RealTrack you'd picked. smile

The lyrics feel effortless and right. The verses are good, but the chorus payoff is excellent.

Second half is especially touching, changing the meaning of the first just like a good country song should.

Great write.

Well sung, and the arrangement is excellent. laugh
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Old Friend - 12/11/21 06:04 PM
Superb in every way!!
Often less is more. Perfect.
The lyrics hit right home. Alzheimers and associated illnesses rob us of our later years when we can sit to remember and reminisce.

We all need old friends.

Bests
ian
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 12:04 AM
Terrific song, best I've heard from you. Big fan of this one.
Posted By: firesong Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 01:49 AM
Absolutely moving...as many of us have personally experienced this with a dear one...you reached our hearts...that's what you really want a song to do.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 10:56 AM
When a song starts out "We were crazy," I know right away I could relate. Outstanding lyrics, Herb. You are singing about me and some old friends, many who are gone, a few even this year. Very emotional song. Beautifully simple.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 11:57 AM
Hi Herb,

Sometimes beauty is in the simplicity.
You can hear it in this song.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 12:45 PM
Herb,

As others have said, this is your best post. A good write, start to finish. This one has some heart. And an very good melody - not "derivative". Whatever you latched onto for this one, keep that up...

Also, one of your best vocals. Honest, believable.

The piano was an excellent choice. A good balance between the piano and vocal in the mix. The guitar is at a good level, too.

I did not care for the tremolo (trills) of the mandolin during the guitar solo - so many of them. It made it sound like a Greek folk song... so a distraction, I think. The guitar solo is nice.

Your best. No question.

fj
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 07:44 PM
I will get to each and every post reply.

I got a phone call from Danny's sister this morning telling me that Danny had passed away last night peacefully in his sleep.

I had sent her a link to the song and she played it for Danny. It was the last music he heard before he left this life.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 07:44 PM
Hi,

Good song and sung with passion.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Old Friend - 12/12/21 08:21 PM
Wonderful ballad. It really pulls on the heartstrings. It's very touching. Lovely lyrics and the vocals are suitably emotional. Nice guitar and mandolin playing. The piano player isn't too bad either. Nice one.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Old Friend - 12/13/21 11:28 AM
Hi Herb,

that's a a really powerful one, despite the minimalistic instrumentation.
I likes the lyrics a lot. And your singing is just great.

And the mansolin is ace, too.

Enjoyed the listen a lot.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/13/21 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Herb
What a fantastic song
The melody and the vocals are just great
Your guitar work is really good
This song really touched me
It is so important in life to have friends, but even more important I think that you are not forgotten
Thank you Herb for this great song and for thinking of Danny.
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thank you for those comments. This one came from a deeper place. I'm glad it connected with you.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/13/21 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Herb ...

This is the basic roots of good music. This takes it to the barebones. It's just a voice and a small bit of accompaniment. It lays it on the line and true skill is revealed.

This is really, really good, Herb. Very emotional but with a spirit of love and appreciation. We don't appreciate the true value of a good friend until they're gone - either literally or for practical purposes. We tend to take it for granted it's just what we know in our daily lives, but don't really stop to think about the big role they play in our lives. i could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I've not heard many songs that capture this message any better than this one. It literally put a tear in my eye. My very best friend, ever, passed away several years ago. I miss hum so dang much it hurts.

Yeah, Herb, very inspirational and done so nicely. Thanks for the reminder.

Take care ...

Alan

A tear in your eye.... that's a mighty fine compliment. That's what a song is supposed to do.... connect people at the soul.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/13/21 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Everything sounds great.
Nice write.
I really like the guitar and mandolin.

Well done.

moto

A great big thanks for listening. It's a challenge to get a good sound from the guitar and mando on the mic.
Posted By: CBO Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 03:43 AM
Dear Guitarhacker.
I shared the track with my friends to convey what I am unable to say to them. Thank you for this beautiful and touching song. I believe it will resonate with many.

Regards

Chris
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I heard the mandolin, and thought That's really nice, wondering what RealTrack you'd picked. smile

The lyrics feel effortless and right. The verses are good, but the chorus payoff is excellent.

Second half is especially touching, changing the meaning of the first just like a good country song should.

Great write.

Well sung, and the arrangement is excellent. laugh

Lol.... yeah that's a real real track on the mando. In the second verse... I took a bit of liberty with the writing. It's sad when people fade. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Superb in every way!!
Often less is more. Perfect.
The lyrics hit right home. Alzheimers and associated illnesses rob us of our later years when we can sit to remember and reminisce.

We all need old friends.

Bests
ian

I had thought about bringing the band in at some point in the song but I couldn't seem to find the perfect place or the right way. So I never actually generated the tracks. Yeah.... those lyrics hit home for sure.

Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Terrific song, best I've heard from you. Big fan of this one.

Thanks. every now and then I get lucky.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Absolutely moving...as many of us have personally experienced this with a dear one...you reached our hearts...that's what you really want a song to do.

Yeah... my old friend Danny.... we've known each other since our 20s..... and currently my mother in law is dealing with memory issues.

Thank you. I'm glad this touched your heart.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 05:56 PM
Lovely song. Great tribute for your friend.

Vic
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 07:23 PM
"It's the people we know, the love that we show and time that we're willing to spend"

This is a beautiful tribute, Herb, and the above line is especially nice. So many of us can relate to your situation with your friend unfortunately.

We're glad that Danny heard this for your sake and for his. I (Janice) had a similar situation with a song that Noel wrote called The Sweetest Gift that was inspired by our discussion regarding my Mother and I was so happy that my Mother got to hear it.

The piano is a lovely addition to your guitar and mandolin. Your vocal is excellent and obviously heartfelt.

Poignant indeed.

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Old Friend - 12/14/21 11:34 PM

Hey this is a really poignant and beautiful song Herb.

I love it!
Posted By: rayc Re: Old Friend - 12/15/21 06:46 AM
You hold those long notes really well and they suggest the many arrangement possibilities this could've passed through but the piano, guitar and voice are perfect.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/16/21 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
When a song starts out "We were crazy," I know right away I could relate. Outstanding lyrics, Herb. You are singing about me and some old friends, many who are gone, a few even this year. Very emotional song. Beautifully simple.

Thank you. Yeah the stories I could tell on Danny and he on me ... Indeed... We were crazy. It's amazing we made it this far
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/16/21 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Herb,

Sometimes beauty is in the simplicity.
You can hear it in this song.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Yes. I had thought about a full band workup but ....

Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/16/21 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Herb,

As others have said, this is your best post. A good write, start to finish. This one has some heart. And an very good melody - not "derivative". Whatever you latched onto for this one, keep that up...

Also, one of your best vocals. Honest, believable.

The piano was an excellent choice. A good balance between the piano and vocal in the mix. The guitar is at a good level, too.

I did not care for the tremolo (trills) of the mandolin during the guitar solo - so many of them. It made it sound like a Greek folk song... so a distraction, I think. The guitar solo is nice.

Your best. No question.

fj

I agree with you. Notice i have mixed it with different levels and the Mando in the Solo was making it too busy. In a songwriter meeting and song review the advice was to shorten the Solo to a 4 measure turnaround.... Anyway.... There's likely to be another edit.

Great advice my friend. Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/17/21 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi,

Good song and sung with passion.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/17/21 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Wonderful ballad. It really pulls on the heartstrings. It's very touching. Lovely lyrics and the vocals are suitably emotional. Nice guitar and mandolin playing. The piano player isn't too bad either. Nice one.

Thanks. Yeah, I think that's a great job on the piano. I need to put a good tip in his tip jar.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/17/21 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Herb,

that's a a really powerful one, despite the minimalistic instrumentation.
I likes the lyrics a lot. And your singing is just great.

And the mansolin is ace, too.

Enjoyed the listen a lot.

Take care,

Stefan

I appreciate you listening and commenting.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Old Friend - 12/18/21 03:49 PM
Pretty song Herb and soulfully sung.
Enjoyed it.

Josie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Friend - 12/19/21 12:29 PM
Let me just wrap this up by saying thanks to everyone who listened and commented....

CBO, Vicarn, J&B, Dave, Ray, and Josie.... Thanks.

J&B.. yeah, I agree, I don't know where that line came from but it sure hit me too.
© PG Music Forums