PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 05:35 AM
Dancing After Dark

Let me try to explain this one.

Di was watching a pretty bad movie on one of the streaming services several months ago. It was a terrible movie but I loved the visuals just before and as the credits rolled. Three kids, perhaps 7 thru 10 years of age, were frolicking and dancing as they slowly ventured down a gravel road in a rural setting, the sun setting in the background. They were black-silhouetted against the sky as they made their way. The setting was similar to the graphic I posted on Soundcloud. But, it was an action clip, rather than a still image.

I told Di, "Pretty bad movie, however the ending visuals were great. But a deranged goat could have written a better musical piece to go with the visual." She said, "Well, do it and quit complaining about it!".

So I did. This is where I ended up. Took me about three days to complete. Let me know if it works for you.

Note: For some reason, the piano and rhythm guitar on the left channel arbitrarily drop out for a measure or two a couple of times. Not so on my master. After 3 uploads, it still had the problem. But, ironically, the dropouts occur at different places each time I play the song. I have no idea why! I might redo it in BIAB and reupload sometime in the near future and see if I get better results. Anyway ...

Update this morning (Saturday): I just listened to two other songs, by two different artists, on Soundcloud and had the same "drop out" issue a couple of times. Thus, I have to assume it's either a Soundcloud issue or my generic sound card is going bad. My guess is it's a Soundcloud issue.

The Music Stuff:

File:Dancing After Dark.SGU
Key=Am , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:20

Style is _PLAYFUL.STY (Playful Uplifting Acoustic Pop)

RealTracks in style: 3122:Bass, Acoustic, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1262:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1877:Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
RealDrums [in Song:NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 10:36 AM
Deat Alan,

this is so beautiful. And yes, it does represent that picture and my imgaination perfectly. Don't have tzhe slightest idea how a guy can come up with such different stuff like you do - and they're all so good...

Very nice chord progressions - and those soloist tracks again and again seem miraculous to me. Did you have to do a lot of cutting and pasting?

I think you should encourage Di to watch more of those bad movies ;-))..

All the very best to Di and you,

Stefan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 11:56 AM
Alan,

Excellent instrumental, excellent mix. No surprise there, of course...

(No drop outs on this end...)

fj
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 12:08 PM
Frolicking kids sounds like a great way to end a movie, especially a bad one. A "deranged goat" --that's great, Di. And this is too, Alan. I had no drop-outs either, and I'm glad. This is superb!! Love how you find inspiration from even the worst places.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 12:10 PM
Hi Alan,
I am glad Di 'forced' you to stop complaining and make a good song.
That's what you did. I loved that violin / fiddle in it. Really my taste!!

I haven't heard the problem you discribed with the guitar. But I am glad you faced some of the problems with a computer like I had. So I'm not allone on this ;-)

Yes, a lovely song and beautiful violin. I liked it, though it was instrumental...

Nice weekend,
Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 12:55 PM
If I ever make a bad movie, I'm call you to save it with a closing piece of music.

Nice and frolicky smile

moto
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 01:27 PM
Hi Everyone .

Will answer each of separately this evening - headed to Tennessee for the rest of the day. First, thanks for all the very nice comments. I appreciate them very, very much.

I just listened to the song - and three others- on Soundcloud and there were no dropout issues. Thus, I'm guessing they were doing some minor site maintenance while the site was live last night. Thankfully, everything seems okay now.

See yas this evening.

Alan

PS: Di says "Hi guys!" to everyone and appreciates the kind words many of you have offered her regarding her health. Quote from her: "Those are some damned nice folks. All them seem like they could be best friends." I think she's right. Thanks from me, too.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 01:40 PM
Al,

You are a such a natural when it comes to songwriting and mixing. This is so pretty.
I don't hear any dropouts.
Sometimes my interface (new Motu) "farts" around for no reason at all.
Best to Di,

Josie
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 11:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Deat Alan,

this is so beautiful. And yes, it does represent that picture and my imgaination perfectly. Don't have tzhe slightest idea how a guy can come up with such different stuff like you do - and they're all so good...

Very nice chord progressions - and those soloist tracks again and again seem miraculous to me. Did you have to do a lot of cutting and pasting?

I think you should encourage Di to watch more of those bad movies ;-))..

All the very best to Di and you,

Stefan

Stefan ...

As always, your comments exceed my talent. But I sure do appreciate them!

Of the several hundred songs I've recorded using BIAB, I've never once done a copy & paste. Even mine and Di's vocals. Everything is a single pass from beginning to end. We might do several passes, but we never copy & paste.

I'm delighted to hear the music and graphic imagine reflect each other nicely. I was hoping for that!

As for the variety in my styles - I really like almost all genres of music and I'm pretty good at picking out chord progression and musical inflections. The bad part of that is it doesn't give me steady voice (musical & otherwise) in any one area, which is usually necessary for any appreciable recognition. But that's okay. I enjoy what i do. I've had my 15 minutes of "glory" and made a very good living doing it. So, it's all good!

Thanks so much m y dear friend. Give Maha a big hug from both of us.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

Excellent instrumental, excellent mix. No surprise there, of course...

(No drop outs on this end...)

fj

Hello Floyd ...

It seriously makes me smile when I read your comments on my musical. It's just so dang nice to know that my efforts are appreciated and that I'm doing something reasonably good. May thanks!

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Frolicking kids sounds like a great way to end a movie, especially a bad one. A "deranged goat" --that's great, Di. And this is too, Alan. I had no drop-outs either, and I'm glad. This is superb!! Love how you find inspiration from even the worst places.

Het Marty ...

Tis always a great pleasure to hear from you. You have to watch out for those deranged goats - they're tough hombres! Just not so good at writing musical scores.

Inspiration is all around. I just try to keep my eyes and ears open in order to notice some of them. I've gotten ideas from highway billboards, back pages of the newspaper (some of those quirky little back-page stories are are great song fodder!), TV commercials, want ads, lunchroom conversations - even YouTube stuff. I', the family genealogist and I've even got a few ideas from some of my long-gone ancestors!

Thank you so much for the nice words! Merry Christmas ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Alan,
I am glad Di 'forced' you to stop complaining and make a good song.
That's what you did. I loved that violin / fiddle in it. Really my taste!!

I haven't heard the problem you discribed with the guitar. But I am glad you faced some of the problems with a computer like I had. So I'm not allone on this ;-)

Yes, a lovely song and beautiful violin. I liked it, though it was instrumental...

Nice weekend,
Hans

Hello Hans ...

Hope all is well with you. I'm very happy you liked the song, even though it's an instrumental. And Di forces me to do a lot of things - but always in the nicest of ways. BY my definition, she watches a lot of "bad" movies! We have different tastes and preferences in almost everything - except music and mutual loyalty.

Thanks so much for listening and commenting so nicely.

Merry Christmas ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/18/21 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
If I ever make a bad movie, I'm call you to save it with a closing piece of music.

Nice and frolicky smile

moto

Howdy Cap'n!

I'd be more than happy to score any movie you might make. You might know that I'm also an author. I've actually scored two of my novels. I've never released the tracks as such, but I did accomplish the goal.

Glad you liked the song - thanks for letting me know. I'm just an old fart who does what makes me happy in my musical life. Take care.

Merry Christmas ...

Alan
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/19/21 02:18 AM
Nice work. It has a Gaelic feel to it. Nice production.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 03:28 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice work. It has a Gaelic feel to it. Nice production.

Thanks a bunch! Agree with you re the Gaelic feel. It wasn't intentional, but as the project unfolded, it leaned more and more that way.

Merry Christmas ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 03:48 AM
This'd improve any movie...and there're a lot that need it.
Well done..I enjoyed it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 03:50 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This'd improve any movie...and there're a lot that need it.
Well done..I enjoyed it.

Ray ...

Thank you very much. And yeah, there are some movies out there that could use a review of their musical score. Again, thanks a bunch.

Merry Christmas ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 07:20 AM
Hi Alan,

You are one of the best on this site for using the full potential of BIAB to create interesting instrumentals, and this is no exception.

Nice composition and arrangement, and the mix sounds good.

Best to you and Di for the holiday!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 11:01 AM
Frolics to you too!
A really happy piece and perfect for the kids to leap around to.
I enjoyed this so much I'm off to have another frolic.
Bests
Ian
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Al,

You are a such a natural when it comes to songwriting and mixing. This is so pretty.
I don't hear any dropouts.
Sometimes my interface (new Motu) "farts" around for no reason at all.
Best to Di,

Josie

Hi Josie ...

Somehow I passed right over yours as I was responding comments the other day. DUH! Please accept my apology.

You are very kind with your comments. I appreciate that so much. I've not had any dropouts since the 2nd day it was posted. I'm guessing it was a temporary Soundcloud issue.

Again, many thanks and Merry Christmas.

Alan
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 04:12 PM
Hello Alan
Very good instrumental song
Very good melody and sound
Great job
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 07:12 PM
"This'd improve any movie...and there're a lot that need it.
Well done..I enjoyed it."

Not much left to say after Ray's comment other than best to both of you!

And that you met your goal of a happy instrumental.

Well done indeed.

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/20/21 10:46 PM
Really pretty instrumental Alan!!! You put together some superb music!! Merry Xmas!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/21/21 11:36 PM
Works for me.

Sounds like the deranged goat may be out of a job. wink
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/22/21 02:59 PM
Nice Alan! This has a lovely feel to it and I really like that minor chord it keeps going to throughout! You are a pro at putting these kind of tracks together! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 01:52 AM
Alan,

Very nice instrumental tune!
The use of Fiddle is wonderful.
It's very impressive.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:13 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Alan,

You are one of the best on this site for using the full potential of BIAB to create interesting instrumentals, and this is no exception.

Nice composition and arrangement, and the mix sounds good.

Best to you and Di for the holiday!

Hey!

You are very kind with your comments! I sure do appreciate all that! I enjoy putting these songs together when I have the time. Thanks for validating that it's not a total waste of time.

And Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:15 AM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Frolics to you too!
A really happy piece and perfect for the kids to leap around to.
I enjoyed this so much I'm off to have another frolic.
Bests
Ian

Ian ...

Many thanks for your visit and most kind words. Hope you have a frolicking good Christmas!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:16 AM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Alan
Very good instrumental song
Very good melody and sound
Great job
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Hello Andi ...

Thanks for your time to listen and comment so nicely. I appreciate it very much. Holiday greetings to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"This'd improve any movie...and there're a lot that need it.
Well done..I enjoyed it."

Not much left to say after Ray's comment other than best to both of you!

And that you met your goal of a happy instrumental.

Well done indeed.

J&B

Hey You Two ...

Thanks so much! Hope ya'll have the best Christmas and New Year ever!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really pretty instrumental Alan!!! You put together some superb music!! Merry Xmas!! Take care. Greg

Good Very Early Morning, Greg.

Thanks so much! And you, my friend, put together some of the very best music on the site. I always say, and will be redundant by saying it again - You should be a household name for your fabulous music.

Merry Christmas to you and yours ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:21 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Works for me.

Sounds like the deranged goat may be out of a job. wink

Hi David ...

And your comment works for me! The goat's on his own!!! Merry Christmas to you and yours ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Nice Alan! This has a lovely feel to it and I really like that minor chord it keeps going to throughout! You are a pro at putting these kind of tracks together! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey ...

That's so nice of you to say. Thank you very much. I like minor chords in all varieties - especially m9th. They have a certain resonance that just reaches out and grabs me. Thanks again.

Merry Christmas to you and yours ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dancing After Dark - 12/23/21 07:24 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Alan,

Very nice instrumental tune!
The use of Fiddle is wonderful.
It's very impressive.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki ...

Thank you very much. I appreciate the very nice comments! Take care. Happy Holidays ...

Alan
© PG Music Forums