PG Music Home
Hello fellow BIABers!! Just listened to a number of great offerings!! Did not get a chance to respond to all of the nice comments on my last post but I read them all and am very humbled by your kind words...they mean a great deal to me!
I've always loved Xmas songs and have written at least one every Xmas for the past 5 years or so. I have to run so I didn't make it to the Xmas offerings near the top of the forum but will be back for them soon. This is a traditional style Xmas tune like Sinatra or Andy Williams might have sung....maybe Michael Buble for a current singer. Would love to hear what you think!! Merry Xmas everyone!! Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/aintchristmaswithoutyou?si=ebfca825666740faaeee3ed837cad4be&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Ain’t Christmas without You

I see the decorations strung across the streets downtown
Hear the children singing carols but still I’m feeling down
I always try to find the magic of this time of year
But it just don’t seem the same without you here

All the Christmas lights are shining bright but still my heart is blue
I guess Christmas just ain’t Christmas without you

Salvation Army Santas ring their bells and “Ho, Ho, Ho”
And I drop a few dollars in but still I’m feeling low
I remember all the joys of seeing the world in red and green
But I just can’t find the magic in this scene

I know come January, you’ll be in my arms again
But I just don’t think I can shake this feeling until then

Hi Greg ...

I can never find adequate superlatives to fully describe the beauty and smoothness of your songs.

As you probably know, I love the old big band sounds and man ... this captures it so wonderfully. Loved that sax solo! This is just so smooth dreamy. A gentle swing and so endearing. I always marvel at your music. Simply gorgeous, my friend.

Merry Christmas to you & yours ...

Alan

PS: Hope your first year of retirement was everything you hoped it would be!
Nice to hear the BIAB horns get a good workout. And of course, matched with a great song and your excellent voice, this is a true present for all of us. When I use BIAB horns I usually do a lot of splicing so they don't step on my vocals so much. You played them as a complete track and it sounded fine. I can't do that, you must be a much better mixer than me. Whatever, it sounded great. Happy Holidays.
Hey Freg,

one thing's for sure: There is not one nation in the world that has produced and year in,year out, produces Chrostmas songs like the Americans can. Even if you're not a dedicated fan of the yuletide hurry and fuss, you simply must like them. Well, most of them.

And this one is - in the best sense of the word - a typical sample: It's simply great as a composition and absolutely pro regarding the production.

Were you ever told that you're a heck of a singer ? grin

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2022,

Stefan
Hi Greg,

Yes, I could easily see this as something that Sinatra or Andy Williams might have done back in the day. Excellent!

Best to you and yours for the holiday smile
Hi Greg,

A very nice warm voice singing a very nice Christmas song or carol.
And accompanied by a classic Jazz band. Well, you made it a succes, that is for sure!
Only the lyrics... They are (a bit) appropriate if you feel this way, but sad.
But next year has a wonderful start and you'll be happy again!
I hope that'll be the theme of next years carol ;-)

Merry Christmas, Greg!
Hans
Greg,

You are the KING of Christmas Songs! They have ALL sounded like they've been with us forever. Classics, one and all...

Writing a good Christmas song is not easy. And yet, you make it seem like it's a breeze to do.
Excellent lyric. Excellent melody. Excellent BAND. Excellent vocal.
Pro in every regard.

Solid mix.

Killer.

Merry Christmas, buddy...

fj
Hi Greg,

I enjoyed the whole song and particularly the choruses.

Yes - Michael Buble would be mad not to include this on his 2022 Christmas album.

Best Regards
Nigel
Hello Greg
This is a beautiful Christmas song
You sang it so well
I like it extraordinarily well
Both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Greg ...

I can never find adequate superlatives to fully describe the beauty and smoothness of your songs.

As you probably know, I love the old big band sounds and man ... this captures it so wonderfully. Loved that sax solo! This is just so smooth dreamy. A gentle swing and so endearing. I always marvel at your music. Simply gorgeous, my friend.

Merry Christmas to you & yours ...

Alan

PS: Hope your first year of retirement was everything you hoped it would be!

Thanks so much Alan for your incredibly kind words!! Just listened to a cool instrumental of yours!! Merry Xmas!!

Hey Greg,

This sounds gorgeous.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

smile
Christmas just ain’t Christmas without a great Greg Johnson Christmas song.
Thanks Greg; this was delightful.
Merry Christmas,
Mike
Greg

Lovely Christmas song and perfect for the Buble of Sinatra Christmas album

Merry Christmas.

Peter
Beautiful Greg.

Josie
Greg...what a great song to fit the season...Vocally and instrumentally so appropriate...great sax solo...as usual superb...thanks for posting.
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Ain't Christmas without You - 12/21/21 05:31 PM
This is a great match to your smooth vocals.

You nailed the "traditional" sound.

Excellent write. As floyd jane said, you make something that's difficult seem effortless!
As always smooth and lush! Nice sax too.

Happy Holidays!

J&B
Velvety smooth vocal performance.

Song would fit among the Christmas standards.

Nice work!
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Greg,

Yes, I could easily see this as something that Sinatra or Andy Williams might have done back in the day. Excellent!

Best to you and yours for the holiday smile

I agree. Excellent vocal with a super big band backing tracks. Super mix.

Loved it.
What a great song!
I'm sorry I got to it too late in the season to include in it my current batch Christmas concerts. However, with your permission, I'd sure like to sing it next year. smile
Another smooth offering. I enjoy your smooth jazzy numbers. Yes, this has a classic Christmas song style. Well written and nicely performed. Good one.

p.s. Thanks for listen and comments on my song. I appreciate it.
Hi Greg.
Silky smooth sound and well written piece.
As a suggestion from my point of view the brass section could be brought up a decibel or two in the places where you're not singing.

Merry Christmas,
Vic
Sweet swinging sound Greg! What a voice you have...never get tired of listening to you! Merry Christmas to you and yours! Thanks, Torrey
Greg,

Very nice Christmas song!
It has the perfect Christmas feel.
I have loved American standard Christmas songs from my childfood.
So I still love Christmas songs with that kind of atmosphere.
Your songs and vocals are just like that.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Lovely Christmas images in the lyrics, really brings the mood very close. The longing gives nice melancholy which fits very well with the arrangement, especially the horns and the sax solo. Excellent and relaxed festive vocals. Merry Christmas!

Janne
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Nice to hear the BIAB horns get a good workout. And of course, matched with a great song and your excellent voice, this is a true present for all of us. When I use BIAB horns I usually do a lot of splicing so they don't step on my vocals so much. You played them as a complete track and it sounded fine. I can't do that, you must be a much better mixer than me. Whatever, it sounded great. Happy Holidays.

Thanks so much for the listen and kind words!! Merry Xmas!! Greg
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hey Freg,

one thing's for sure: There is not one nation in the world that has produced and year in,year out, produces Chrostmas songs like the Americans can. Even if you're not a dedicated fan of the yuletide hurry and fuss, you simply must like them. Well, most of them.

And this one is - in the best sense of the word - a typical sample: It's simply great as a composition and absolutely pro regarding the production.

Were you ever told that you're a heck of a singer ? grin

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2022,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan!! Really appreciate your kind words! Merry Xmas!! Greg
Now that is smooth Jazzy... I love it
Cool vibe Greg. Lovely old school feel. Well done.
Very very very sweet, soft and kind tune. Lot of nostalgia in this song and the vocals fit so well!
Smooth!
Nice write and wonderful vocals.

moto
Posted By: RnAM Re: NEW SONG POST: Ain't Christmas without You - 02/01/22 05:11 PM
A bit late for Christmas Greg, but never mind.
This song has the real Christmas atmosphere!
Yes, it might be a Sinatra or Williams song.
Very good vocals and nice sax!

Rob and Anne-Marie
© PG Music Forums