PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 01:51 PM
Like A Breeze

Well, I posted this here about 6 or 7 hours ago and it simply disappeared. Ah ... the secrets of cyberspace!

The genesis of the title is a comment Di made when I played it for her and asked her what she thought. She said, "It's like a warm breeze softly blowing in from the front door, wafting through the house and gently exiting the back door."

This was a quick, one-day throw-together from several weeks ago - perhaps 3 or 4 hours collectively over a 12-hour period. It's all acoustic featuring nylon guitar on the lead.

File:Like A Breeze.SGU

Key=Bm , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=3:30

Style is _KARST.STY (Karst Songwriter Nylon Melody)

RealTracks in style: 2960:Bass, Acoustic, SmoothBalladNeil Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 3115:Guitar, Nylon, Background Folk16thsMelodicBrent Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 2552:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Songwriter16ths Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 3394:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SingerSongwriterSync Ev16 070
RealDrums [in style:Americana16thsBrushSyncFred^1-a,b:Kick13
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 02:07 PM
Hello Alan
Excellent mix
I imagine lying on the beach and enjoying a nice drink
Really great music
Great use of BiaB
Thanks for sharing

I wish you and your loved ones Merry Christmas and a good and healthy start to the new year 2022

Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 06:45 PM
Thanks a bunch, Andi! I appreciate that. Have a great Christmas and excellent New Year.

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 07:13 PM
Di is right. It IS like a warm breeze.

A great listen. Your mixes are always pro sounding.

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

fj

HI Floyd ...

Thank you so much for the very nice words. Your comments about the mix on my songs is particularly rewarding. I think you know the seriously archaic method I use for recording and mixing .... no DAW, other than what Audacity gives me. I have no third party plug-ins or contributions. And everything is done with a single pass-through. I've never once copied and pasted anything I've posted on Souncloud. Every single thing I do is on the BIAB entry page and then Audacity. After that, I'm done!

Reference Di's comment: I always enjoy and appreciate the poetic spin she can put on her thoughts regarding our music.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2022.

Alan
Posted By: dani48 Re: Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 07:35 PM
Hi, Al & Di !

Wonderful music this, Al !
You really know how
to make a catchy, lovely
and beautiful tune !
This is a masterpiece
ol´friend !

Merry Christmas and a Happy
New Year to you and Di too !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al & Di !

Wonderful music this, Al !
You really know how
to make a catchy, lovely
and beautiful tune !
This is a masterpiece
ol´friend !

Merry Christmas and a Happy
New Year to you and Di too !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani ...

Thanks for dropping in for a listen! I'm so glad you enjoyed the song. I apprecoiate all those really nice comments - many thanks!

Here's wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Like A Breeze - 12/23/21 10:36 PM
Hi Alan,

Nice song and good mix.

Well done

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: dcuny Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 12:22 AM
Hi, Alan.

It's cold and rainy here, so a warm breeze is appreciated! smile

If you've got a method that works for you, why would you change it?

Creating a good mix is about creating a good arrangement, by giving things room to be heard and space to breathe.

You only need to work with things like EQ and compression when you haven't mixed it well in the first place. A good band "mixes itself", so to speak, by simply listening.

And this sounds good!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 12:00 PM
Nice arrangement and mix. Sounds good.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 01:16 PM
Lovely on a lovely Christmas Eve morning looking out at our forest over coffee...

Best to y’all,

J&B
Posted By: bluage Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 04:20 PM
'Al-David'...

Mmm...very nice! Has a laid-back, 'journeying' feel to it, as though we were on a cruise ship sailing in and out of exotic ports-of-call. The Real Style has a sensuous sound that is sweetly amplified by the background nylon guitar track, which is so expressive that it sounded like a solo instrument performance.

For you and Ms. Di, I hope your Christmas and New Year's Day celebrations are meaningful, and memorable smile.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 04:23 PM
i really like it -- reminded me a little of the Eric Clapton unplugged songs
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Alan,

Nice song and good mix.

Well done

Best Regards
Nigel

Hello Nigel ...

Glad it works for you! Thanks for letting me know. Merry Christmas and Happy New year ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Alan.

It's cold and rainy here, so a warm breeze is appreciated! smile

If you've got a method that works for you, why would you change it?

Creating a good mix is about creating a good arrangement, by giving things room to be heard and space to breathe.

You only need to work with things like EQ and compression when you haven't mixed it well in the first place. A good band "mixes itself", so to speak, by simply listening.

And this sounds good!

Hey David ...

Cold and rainy in Sacramento - can't say that too often! I lived in Bakersfield 6 years and I was almost always comfortable in the dead of winter wearing just a light jacket. Come summer - almost every day was 103 - 108 - you can only take off so many pieces of clothing without going to jail or traumatizing your neighbors.

I feel my method works pretty good for me. That's one reason I can create a decent song (in my opinion decent) in a matter of hours - no complications. It's also my belief that many folks obsess over perfection vs a really nice song. That's not me. I just want to create something that listeners might enjoy, regardless of the degree of perfection. If I hoped to sell songs to other musicians who are, by my definition, are perfection-obsessed, I'd be living in a tent and begging for food! So far, we've had 28 songs picked up for various uses. Thus, I guess my archaic system works as good as I need it to.

Fully agree with your comment that a well-put-together song will, more or less, mix itself.

But you ought to see all the work I do behind the chord input sheet! Most of the fade-ins/fade-outs, tone adjustment, manually-induced "compression", etc. are done that way. I use Audacity primarily as a way to convert my SGU to a wave file and adjust overall volume. Very occasionally I will do some extra EQ and mild compression in Audacity, but not often.

Anyway, thanks for all; the supportive comments. I appreciate all your comments.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice arrangement and mix. Sounds good.

Good Afternoon x3 ...

Glad you liked it. I appreciate the nice words. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/24/21 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Lovely on a lovely Christmas Eve morning looking out at our forest over coffee...

Best to y’all,

J&B

Hey Guys!

I always look forward to your comments. "Lovely" is a very nice word - thank you. From the couple of videos you've posted, you seem to have a real nice piece of property. Looks like you're dang near off the grid!

I'm not a coffee drinker, but Di has one cup every morning. I'll be 75 in March and I've drunk, perhaps, 10 or 12 cups of coffee in my life. I pop the top on an ice cold Dr Pepper within 2 minutes of my feet hitting the floor.

Wishing both of you the very best and a fantastic 2022.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Like A Breeze - 12/26/21 05:45 AM
Hi Alan,

thrown together in 3 or 4 hours? That's the time I need for sitting down in front of my PC, run BIAB and start thinking alone smirk ...

Man, you really know how to come up with most loveable songs - your talent seems to know no bounds.

I think Di caught the feel and nailed it with that title.

Really so lovely.

All the best to Di and you - we'll keep in contact.

Stefan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Like A Breeze - 12/26/21 05:03 PM
Alan,

This is so nice! Nobody around here arranges these type of tracks any better than you! Its so full of feeling and lovely sound textures! It's great to see you active in the forum! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: vicarn Re: Like A Breeze - 12/26/21 05:29 PM
Sweet, smooth and mellow Alan.

Vic
Posted By: MarioD Re: Like A Breeze - 12/26/21 06:59 PM

fj

I agree.

Fantastic guitars.

Loved it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
'Al-David'...

Mmm...very nice! Has a laid-back, 'journeying' feel to it, as though we were on a cruise ship sailing in and out of exotic ports-of-call. The Real Style has a sensuous sound that is sweetly amplified by the background nylon guitar track, which is so expressive that it sounded like a solo instrument performance.

For you and Ms. Di, I hope your Christmas and New Year's Day celebrations are meaningful, and memorable smile.

Hi Loren ...

Thank you so much for the very, very nice comments. Your reviews are always such a pleasure to read. I liked your cruise ship analogy!

We had a very nice Christmas - thank you. Hope you did, too. We we gathered at our granddaughter's house? Our family is small. We've buried three of our children and the several grandchildren - except the one where we celebrated last night - live quiet distantly from us. Our daughter and her husband, our granddaughter and her husband, and Di & I comprised the entire gathering. But we had a very good time. Santa was good to all of us!

Wishing you well and a wonderful 2022.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 01:12 AM
Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
i really like it -- reminded me a little of the Eric Clapton unplugged songs

HI Bob ...

Thank you so much. And the acoustic Clapton reference put a big smile on my face! Thanks again. And wishing you a wonderful 2022.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 01:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Alan,

thrown together in 3 or 4 hours? That's the time I need for sitting down in front of my PC, run BIAB and start thinking alone smirk ...

Man, you really know how to come up with most loveable songs - your talent seems to know no bounds.

I think Di caught the feel and nailed it with that title.

Really so lovely.

All the best to Di and you - we'll keep in contact.

Stefan

Hey You Two ...

Basierend auf dein letzten E-Mail scheint es, als hätten du und Maha ein ruhiges, aber wunderschönes Weihnachtsfest gehabt. Ich habe mich sehr gefreut, das gelesen zu haben!

I appreciate your very nice comments so much! Most of my compositions take 6- 20 collective hours of effort, although some have taken weeks, even months.

And yes, I enjoy reading your emails! Thus, I am sure we will remain in contact.

Best to you and the lovely Maha ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Alan,

This is so nice! Nobody around here arranges these type of tracks any better than you! Its so full of feeling and lovely sound textures! It's great to see you active in the forum! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey,

You are always so generous with your comments regarding my compositions. Thank you very much!!! I wish I could be more active on the forums. But Di's declining health keeps me away much more often than in previous times. But, she is my priority and I'm okay with that.

Wishing your 2022 is the best ever.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Sweet, smooth and mellow Alan.

Vic

Hi Vic ...

Thank you for the kindness. I appreciate it. Hope 2002 is great for you!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 01:28 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

fj

I agree.

Fantastic guitars.

Loved it.

Hi Mario ...

Thank you very much. Sure do appreciate all that! Should I send you the bill for the bigger hats that will now become necessary?

Take care ...

Alan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 12:46 PM
Alan,
wonderful composition! Very smooth. Acoustic Alchemy comes to mind. Clear mix & listens very well. I need to take a master class from you on composition. Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!

Misha.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Like A Breeze - 12/27/21 12:53 PM
Sweet music to my ears... I love the instrumentation/progression.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Like A Breeze - 12/28/21 07:05 PM
Very pretty tune Alan!!! You are the master of the BIAB instrumentals!! I would add a bit more verb, but then again, I'm a bit of a reverb addict smile. Mix is very good as is!! Happy New Year!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: Like A Breeze - 12/28/21 07:45 PM
Di's description is spot on for traditionally built houses in Australia - the hall was a straight line from front to back door and was referred to as a breeze way...vents above both doors to provide air flow when the doors needed to be closed.
It was to catch the cool breeze or to generate air movement inside on stifling days.
This does sound warmly familiar, smooth and comfy.
Nicely done Alan.
© PG Music Forums