forgiveness has its limits, you reached yours

so many years out on the edge...

callin', callin'
fallin', fallin'

so many years out on the edge...

i know i should have drawn the line
a drink or two before closing time...

Comments are always welcome. Any kind.

Happy New Year to everyone. Hope it is a very musical one!!

fj (& the Merritts)

wink
Posted By: bloc-head Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/26/21 01:00 PM
Killer tune... I'm very impressed with this song, production and performance... Wow!
Great song and performance Floyd. This one quickly was able to 'slide' to the top of my User Showcase favorites list. Always enjoy listening, analyzing and reverse engineering your songs...

Charlie
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/26/21 02:06 PM
Hello Floyd
Wonderful song
You have put together a great background track
Your singing is always great anyway
Sounds very thoughtful, but that fits the lyrics as well
The part at CALLIN' FALLIN' is really top class.
You did a great job with Janice and Bud
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/26/21 02:27 PM
When the intro started playing I thought this is just like the intro to Will I See You in Heaven by Eric Clapton. Then it went into the your song.

Anyway this hit home with the passing of my friend Danny. The lyrics are potent and I'm sure many people can relate as it seams many of us have friends, family menbers, or acquaints with a drug or alcohol problem.

As always your vocal, backing tracks, accompanying musicians, and mix are outstanding.

Loved it.
Posted By: vicarn Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/26/21 05:25 PM
Very sweet song Floyd and B&J.
Excellent mix and arrangement too.

Vic
Floyd/J&B,

Wow what a team you folks make! This is such a pretty song! It's got a melancholy feel that the backing suits so well! That steel guitar is singing in this!

Love that short bridge section with the vocal effects used...they really lift the song to another level! I like the way Janice's background vocal fits in here...they are sitting in the mix perfectly, not overpowering the lead and hitting on just the portion of the lines that are needed!

You continue to show that you work on such a high level that inspires all of us to continue to hone our musical skills to strive for the kind of production that you continually display!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/26/21 08:16 PM
Great recording. So clear! Heartbreaking lyrics. Outstanding vocals from both you and Janice. Top notch work here all around.
FJ, Bud & Janice.
Really well written tune. Lyrics and delivery are a treat. Neat and artistic how you slow it down and then coming back out to original tempo. That bridge: "calling" at 2:35 really opens up song. A+ main vocal and harmonies! Very smooth ending, something that I always struggle with.
Congrats to whole team! Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!

Misha.

P.S. Mix is clear, but I believe drums sound a bit dry to my ears.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/26/21 11:33 PM
A touch of magic. All round great performance and production.
Love the chord progression and the vocal harmony was perfect.
Well done all.
Rob4580
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/27/21 01:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd/J&B,

Wow what a team you folks make! This is such a pretty song! It's got a melancholy feel that the backing suits so well! That steel guitar is singing in this!

Love that short bridge section with the vocal effects used...they really lift the song to another level! I like the way Janice's background vocal fits in here...they are sitting in the mix perfectly, not overpowering the lead and hitting on just the portion of the lines that are needed!

You continue to show that you work on such a high level that inspires all of us to continue to hone our musical skills strive for the kind of production that you continually display!

Thanks, Torrey

Yeah ... what Torrey said. I can think of nothing better to say, so I won't even try. WOW!

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/27/21 03:29 AM
Fanmazing.
FJ with B&J is always a treat & no retreat.
LOVE the ending.
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/27/21 05:05 AM
Hi, floyd jane (and the Merritts)

It's up to your high standards, as usual. Well sung, good arrangement, excellent mix.

The bridge was especially cool - I saw from the lyrics that it was coming, and it didn't disappoint!

But... I didn't buy the premise, probably because I think too much.

I mean, it's set up properly, and the narrator makes a argument that he's always crashing and burning, and expecting to be forgiven. So everything fits nicely until the end of the chorus:

and desperately hoping to stop the slide

It's a bit like having someone who's never stopped drinking say their worried about falling off the wagon. Since the narrator has always been willing to jump into bed with someone, there's nothing to "slide" away from.

Unless there's a level of irony in the song I've missed. wink

Of course, that didn't stop be from playing the song a couple more times, just to enjoy it again.

Especially with the lovely harmonies. They're a wider and more staggered than usual.

That makes them pop, but when the consonants don't line up, there's as ch on the left speaker, and a millisecond later, one of the right speaker, or the other way around.

It got me thinking how much I expect everything I hear to be immaculately edited and corrected. Which, of course, is the opposite of what you're doing here. laugh

It also seemed a bit more warm than your usual mix, which I liked.

Excellent work, as always!
Hi Floyd & Team,

Good song and well sung.

Congratulations.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/27/21 11:33 AM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Killer tune... I'm very impressed with this song, production and performance... Wow!

Thanks, bloc-head. We appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Great song and performance Floyd. This one quickly was able to 'slide' to the top of my User Showcase favorites list. Always enjoy listening, analyzing and reverse engineering your songs...

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie!

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Floyd
Wonderful song
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Andi - a big thanks from us all...
Posted By: Crossroads Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/27/21 01:15 PM
Hi Floyd, Janice and Bud,

a remarkable song !

First impression: It sounds brilliant. Very nice lyrics, very convincingly sung. Love that unobtrusive backing track.

And those BGV - nobody does them like Janice !!!

The echo part came unexpectedly, but was very effective.

Just great.

A happy and most of all healthy New Year to you all,

Stefan
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/27/21 02:37 PM
Wow what a way to finish the year. Floyd, Janice and Bud what a beautiful song. I am speechless. Simple amazing.

Really really nice man.

Not even a new year either!

smile

Can't you stop making the hits??? Or is that all you know how to write?

smile

Originally Posted By: bloc-head

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Charlie

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Floyd
Wonderful song
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thank you folks and happy new year!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/28/21 01:10 AM
floyd

Lovely song, superb production, beautifully sung and written.

You and Janice always sound brilliant together and the backing vocals are lovely.

Loved the bridge & the melody.

Superb work (as expected).

Happy New Year

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/28/21 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
When the intro started playing I thought this is just like the intro to Will I See You in Heaven by Eric Clapton. Then it went into the your song.

Anyway this hit home with the passing of my friend Danny. The lyrics are potent and I'm sure many people can relate as it seams many of us have friends, family menbers, or acquaints with a drug or alcohol problem.

As always your vocal, backing tracks, accompanying musicians, and mix are outstanding.

Loved it.

Thanks, Mario....

Originally Posted By: vicarn

Vic

Thanks, Vic. ("sweet" is an interesting way to describe this...)

Floyd/J&B,

You continue to show that you work on such a high level that inspires all of us to continue to hone our musical skills to strive for the kind of production that you continually display!

Thanks, Torrey

We very much appreciate all the nice comments, Torrey...
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/28/21 12:24 PM
Oh, what a beautiful way to return to the forum after such a tragic Christmas here. Right at the top is a song from my favorites. What a wonderful co-write, and an amazing production. Putting the 3 of you on the same project can only result in perfection. Love the lyrics, harmony and all of the magic y'all put into this.
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Loved it.

Thanks Mario. It's always a pleasure joining in with a good friend on a music project.
J&B
Beautiful, moving song, and a performance that delivers!!!!! I've never heard you sound better Floyd, and that's saying A LOT!!! And Janice adds some golden glitter to everything she touches!!!

Some AMAZING lyrics here:

so many years out on the edge
i'm still crawling through my wreckage
always hoping you'll be on the other side

Does not get any better than that!!!

Beautiful job by all involved!!! Happy New Year!! Greg
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/28/21 11:52 PM
Great song, passionately sung.

I thought a lot about Dave's 'not buying the premise,' but after spending a lot of time going over the lyrics, I decided that they worked fine for me.

Stellar work as always.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/29/21 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great recording. So clear! Heartbreaking lyrics. Outstanding vocals from both you and Janice. Top notch work here all around.

Thanks, Sean....

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ, Bud & Janice.
Really well written tune. Lyrics and delivery are a treat. Neat and artistic how you slow it down and then coming back out to original tempo. That bridge: "calling" at 2:35 really opens up song. A+ main vocal and harmonies! Very smooth ending, something that I always struggle with.

Misha.

Misha - Thanks from us all!

The drum sound (which is always important to me) is similar to a lot of the music that I am listening to these days (which I suppose you could label "Contemporary Country" - taking much of its sound from current Pop). Or, at least, how I hear it. That can range from washed-in-reverb to almost-completely-dry. The dry side help to make the drums sit front-and-center in the mix. Listening several times, with your comment in mind, I find that I'm satisfied with the way these (drums) turned out. As with all aspect of mixing, it can be a matter of "personal preference"...and I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on that... Thanks!!
Originally Posted By: vicarn

Vic

Thanks Vic.

Floyd/J&B,

Thanks, Torrey

Thank you Torrey. Gotta say that the bridge was all floyd’s idea! Janice much appreciates your vocals comments. Have a fun new year.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/30/21 11:51 AM
Hi Floyd, I tried to listen, but my computer said '"no"
Severall times; no connexion.
Have you noticed that too now?

Hans
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt

Thank you and happy new year!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 12/31/21 12:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

Hans

Hans - I don't have any problem getting to the site. It might be because it is an http site, not an https (secure) site (I did not pay to have the change happen). It might be that your browser or your provider won;t allow you to access an http site (there are no problems with the site as far as I know).

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Well done all.
Rob4580

Thanks for stopping by, Rob...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd/J&B,

You continue to show that you work on such a high level that inspires all of us to continue to hone our musical skills strive for the kind of production that you continually display!

Thanks, Torrey

Yeah ... what Torrey said. I can think of nothing better to say, so I won't even try. WOW!

Alan

Thanks, Alan!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/01/22 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Fanmazing.
LOVE the ending.

Thanks, ray....

Originally Posted By: dcuny

It's up to your high standards, as usual. Well sung, good arrangement, excellent mix.

The bridge was especially cool - I saw from the lyrics that it was coming, and it didn't disappoint!

I mean, it's set up properly, and the narrator makes a argument that he's always crashing and burning, and expecting to be forgiven. So everything fits nicely until the end of the chorus:

It's a bit like having someone who's never stopped drinking say their worried about falling off the wagon. Since the narrator has always been willing to jump into bed with someone, there's nothing to "slide" away from.

Of course, that didn't stop be from playing the song a couple more times, just to enjoy it again.

Especially with the lovely harmonies. They're a wider and more staggered than usual.

That makes them pop, but when the consonants don't line up, there's as ch on the left speaker, and a millisecond later, one of the right speaker, or the other way around.

It got me thinking how much I expect everything I hear to be immaculately edited and corrected. Which, of course, is the opposite of what you're doing here. laugh

David - thanks for all the nice comments.

re: the slide - I could just blame Bud, since the bones of the song are all his doing - he created the "story". But I joined in, so "bought in" and have to own it as well... I see it less of a CONSTANT slide and more of a series of slides. Each new slide is...a new slide, different from the previous slide (regardless of how recent that one was)...and therefore something that he (the singer) must deal with each time anew.

re: the mis-aligned "ch" - sometimes trying to line up everything perfectly gets tedious and at some point, I go with the classic saying... "Close enough for Country"

smile
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/01/22 06:39 PM
Hi, Floyd, Bud and Janice !:)

What a wonderful co-op !
Don´t know that I´d heard
anything more beautiful
from you than this !

a Very Happy New Year
to all of you and thanks for
this masterpiece !

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ, Bud & Janice.

Misha.

Thank you Misha. And yes floyd’s arrangement was excellent. Happy new year to you and family!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Well done all.
Rob4580

Thanks Rob! Glad you liked the harmony. Hope you fave a great new year.

J&B
Beautiful song!

Man, such great writing! And the vocals are sublime.

Love the "calling, calling" bit at 2:39, and loved the ending too.

Nice way to end off the year I think wink
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/03/22 12:19 PM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Floyd & Team,

Good song and well sung.

Congratulations.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel....

Originally Posted By: Crossroads

a remarkable song !

First impression: It sounds brilliant. Very nice lyrics, very convincingly sung. Love that unobtrusive backing track.

Just great.

Stefan

Thanks, Stefan - we appreciate that!!...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow what a way to finish the year. Floyd, Janice and Bud what a beautiful song. I am speechless. Simple amazing.

Scott - nice of you to say - thanks from all of us!!...
I don;t know who wrote the opening line "i know i should have drawn the line/a drink or two before closing time," Bud or you, but it sure is a good one!

"a fool opens dangerous doors/forgiveness has its limits, you reached yours"---Man, that's great too!

Excellent vocal and Janice's harmony blends so well with your voice.
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd/J&B,

Thanks, Torrey

Alan

Thanks Al!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/05/22 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Really really nice man.

Not even a new year either!

smile

Can't you stop making the hits??? Or is that all you know how to write?

smile

Thanks, David!!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Lovely song, superb production, beautifully sung and written.

You and Janice always sound brilliant together and the backing vocals are lovely.

Loved the bridge & the melody.

Superb work (as expected).

Happy New Year

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Janice is always my first choice for a singing partner (of course). Bud always has a lot of great ideas in the lyrics/notes he sends me to work with - a very creative mind (as I'm sure you know!)

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, what a beautiful way to return to the forum after such a tragic Christmas here. Right at the top is a song from my favorites. What a wonderful co-write, and an amazing production. Putting the 3 of you on the same project can only result in perfection. Love the lyrics, harmony and all of the magic y'all put into this.

We appreciate that, Marty!! Hope you have sorted out whatever was "tragic"....
Originally Posted By: rayc
Fanmazing.
LOVE the ending.

Thanks Ray. It was a fun project!

J&B
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Glad you liked it and J&B accept full responsibility for the lyric premise and harmony phrasing smile

J&B
Posted By: musician17 Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/06/22 09:20 PM
My word!!! It's 15 past midnight here, and I'm listening to this ... wow. Had problems with my browser, wouldn't let me play this song, hence my lateness with my comments. Regardless: WOW. I can't articulate my feelings at this hour on listening to this, but: one of the most beautiful songs I've heard you sing, Floyd. Full credit to you and to the Merritts. I may post again, in the morning, when I'll hopefully be more articulate. One line, though: "always hoping you'll be on the other side". We've ALL been there, the way you write has universal appeal, because you talk to some of the deepest feelings that any human who has even remotely lived a little has had, and you know how to "press our buttons", emotionally speaking. CONGRATULATIONS to ALL responsible for this small masterpiece :-)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/07/22 05:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Beautiful, moving song, and a performance that delivers!!!!! I've never heard you sound better Floyd, and that's saying A LOT!!! And Janice adds some golden glitter to everything she touches!!!

Greg - Thanks for the nice review!! Bud deserves the credit for those lines. I tweaked a couple of words or phrases, but basically, that's ALL the boy from Georgia.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

I thought a lot about Dave's 'not buying the premise,' but after spending a lot of time going over the lyrics, I decided that they worked fine for me.

Stellar work as always.

Thanks, TM!!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood

Hans

Hans - I addressed this earlier... sorry that you cannot hear it...
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Floyd & Team,

Good song and well sung.

Congratulations.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Crossroads

a remarkable song !

Just great.

Stefan

Thank you Stefan. We appreciate your kind remarks and support. We wish the absolute best to you and Maha!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank Scott! Happy New Year.

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/08/22 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48

What a wonderful co-op !
anything more beautiful
from you than this !

a Very Happy New Year
this masterpiece !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks from the lot of us, Dani...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Beautiful song!

We appreciate that, Dave....

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I don;t know who wrote the opening line "i know i should have drawn the line/a drink or two before closing time," Bud or you, but it sure is a good one!

"a fool opens dangerous doors/forgiveness has its limits, you reached yours"---Man, that's great too!

Thanks, Scott. Those lines (both) were a mix of Bud's ideas and me expanding on them - so a CO-Write!!
And thanks for the note on the blend - I agree!!

Originally Posted By: musician17
My word!!! It's 15 past midnight here, and I'm listening to this ... wow. Had problems with my browser, wouldn't let me play this song, hence my lateness with my comments. Regardless: WOW. I can't articulate my feelings at this hour on listening to this, but: one of the most beautiful songs I've heard you sing, Floyd. Full credit to you and to the Merritts. I may post again, in the morning, when I'll hopefully be more articulate. One line, though: "always hoping you'll be on the other side". We've ALL been there, the way you write has universal appeal, because you talk to some of the deepest feelings that any human who has even remotely lived a little has had, and you know how to "press our buttons", emotionally speaking. CONGRATULATIONS to ALL responsible for this small masterpiece :-)

James - we really appreciate that! Thanks for the great review...
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: The Slide - (co-write w/ Bud Merritt) - 01/08/22 01:37 PM
this is one of my favorite songs that you have done,. Great job
Bob
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Thanks Marty. floyd always turns our efforts into real songs!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thank you Greg!

J&B

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Stellar work as always.

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dani48

What a wonderful co-op !
anything more beautiful
from you than this !

a Very Happy New Year
this masterpiece !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani and happy new year to you and Li

J&B

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Beautiful song!

Thanks very much Dave. Happy New Year!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

We appreciate that and, yes, Janice always enjoys singing with the man!

J&B

Originally Posted By: musician17

Thanks and we appreciate your comments on how you felt the song.

Have a great new year.

J&B

Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
this is one of my favorite songs that you have done,. Great job
Bob

Thanks Bob!

J&B
© PG Music Forums