PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Labyrinth - 12/28/21 10:37 PM
Hi Folks. 
My last tune of outgoing year. It started as an experiment using new BIAB feature, Microchords. My current use of these are very rudimental, but it is awesome addition which I encourage everyone who has, or will purchase 2022 to try. All comments are welcomed. Thank you for listening and HNY!
Misha.

Labyrinth

Lyrics:

Like a snake shedding it's skin.
As a mollusk - crawling out of its shell.
Dream now, before you become a "statistic",
A column in journal - dusting on library's shelf.

Lost in a labyrinth, Ariadne sleeping.
Walls of lime reveal no clues.
Light up your lantern in this mire darkness,
And I will follow you.

Like a butterfly leaving her cocoon,
As moose losing heavy antlers in the snow
Break free, let your mind flow
As clouds passing - swaying over moon

Lost in labyrinth, minotaur is weeping,
His instinct sense approaching coup.
He knows what's coming, his heart is bleeding.
Sweet bitter taste of Deja vu.

Lost in labyrinth, endless wondering.
Ancient flint's dreams of fire.
Ash is falling on the ground.
Maiden day is born in pain.

Tech stuff:
BIAB:
366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
367:Guitar, Electric, Background Dreamy Ev 065
4014:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModPopDistortedHiArpTrem Ev16 65
364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealDrums:NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Drums:Djembe Keita

Synts of Halion and Kontakt.
Recorded in Cakewalk.
Posted By: rayc Re: Labyrinth - 12/28/21 11:13 PM
Labyrinthian lyrics in the labyrinth.
Dark, mysterious, vaguely somnambulist and thoroughly mesmerizing.
I think I'll press the button on 2022 tonight as I'm interested in the multi stem drums.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Labyrinth - 12/28/21 11:40 PM
More animal imagery, you've got a thing going there. I liked it, certainly kept my interest up from beginning to end with cleverations. Arrangement was good and worked well. Nice work!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Labyrinth - 12/29/21 12:46 AM
Oooh, all slithery and wending!

I enjoyed this a lot! Your lyrics and productions are always a treat.

I'd forgotten how badly things turned out for Ariadne. The mortal version of her, anyway, The Greeks weren't big on happy endings for their stories, were they?

Cool song. laugh
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Labyrinth - 12/29/21 07:50 AM
Hello Misha
Great song
Creates a very nice mood
The vocals fit very well
The sound is really good
Good work Misha
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Labyrinth - 12/29/21 03:29 PM
Misha,

Another excellent, cinematic write. Nice melody. The Microchords are evident - nice job of showing that off...

The vocal and harmonies are good.

Terrific production and good mix. The Soundscape is complex, yet cohesive. Ear Candy - in the best sense...

Your use of BIAB (and outside elements) is an education for the rest of us.

Art.

fj
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Labyrinth - 12/30/21 06:08 AM
Hi Misha,

I read the lyrics twice before listening - I may be wrong, but I interorete them as an impressive, yet pessimistic ploitical song about the fading of democracy in R.

Listening to the song I was first fascinated by the intro - really good. The whole song is well-constructed and very well instrumented. And the vocals, in their restraint, have something haunting.

Impressed me (again) a lot - even if I'm completely off beam with my interpretation.

Happy New Year - and I'm looking forward to much more from you.

Sincerely,

Stefan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Labyrinth - 12/30/21 12:00 PM
Hi Misha,

Another intriquing song from you.
Very well done!
When I saw the cover I thought "ha, I know that story!" And is was in Crete, where I visited the ruins.

But back to your song; the lyrics are wonderful, but dark. Salvation is not near...
The band is very good. I was impressed by your choice of drums/percussion.

A happy New Year,
Hans
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Labyrinth - 12/30/21 04:17 PM
Without going into the complexity of the lyrics I will just comment on the music and vocals. They are absolutely spectacular! That melody and chord structure are wonderful! The music backing is mesmerizing! There is so much going on in the background that it's hard to appreciate all of it! Nothing detracts from the flow of the song though! Your vocals are very good! This is excellent work and I hope that everyone who listens will appreciate the amount of effort you put into this! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Labyrinth - 12/30/21 06:14 PM
Been having a go reading some Greek mythology of late? smile

On one of our mountain bike rides the trail crosses an abandoned over grown stone labyrinth.
We'll be hearing your song as we traverse it from this point on.

So we are happy that it is a great tune!

We need a more eloquent word for mesmerizing or hypnotic or hyper engaging ... as it is indeed.

"Dream now, before you become a 'statistic'"

"Break free, let your mind flow"

Two of our fav lines of many excellent ones.

We very much enjoyed the "connect your own dots" regarding how to interpret it thematically.

Great vocals, melody, band, arrangement and mix. Everything is hittin' the note.

Have a fun safe new year!

J&B
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Labyrinth - 12/30/21 08:35 PM
Good job on this recording. Your lyrics are always interesting and well written. Your vocals always seem to naturally fit the lyrics perfectly, as they do on this one. I'm not sure what a microchord is as I am still trying to figure out basic open chords, but you obviously understand them good.

Cool song.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Labyrinth - 12/31/21 09:00 AM
Always interesting Misha.
I like how your brain works. Sometimes I hear Bowie

I have 2022 but not tried microchords yet although I am using the multi drum tracks at this moment.

Vic
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Labyrinth - 12/31/21 11:05 AM
You write so well, Misha. Your lyrics are always wonderfully visual, and you have a gift of matching the visual lyrics with just the perfect music to accent the scene. The vocals are also a big player(s) in the portrayal, and you surround everything with just the right band.

Yes, the microchords were the first thing i had to try, too. Unfortunately in my case I was also using one of the new styles at 150pbm. hehe. They were a blur. Looking forward to your 2022.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Labyrinth - 01/02/22 11:04 PM
A very cool experiment!! I'm going to have to check out that new feature. Very well written, sung, and produced!!! Happy New Year!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Labyrinth - 01/03/22 08:29 AM
Excellent lyrics as per usual! Love the way your mind works.

Cool track, Misha, you never disappoint! I've been messing with the micro-chords too, best new feature they have added in a very long time.

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with in 2022!
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Labyrinth - 01/03/22 10:30 AM
Evocative, transfixing lyrics, and the ominous vibe pulled me right into the Labyrinth... Great work Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Labyrinth - 01/03/22 01:58 PM
Happy New Year Misha. Very dark tune. Excellent visuals in the lyrics. Super vocal and perfect backtrack. Well done
Posted By: PeterF Re: Labyrinth - 01/03/22 08:45 PM
Misha

Superb work - amazing backing track and a wonderful overall production.

Loved it.

Peter
Posted By: bluage Re: Labyrinth - 01/05/22 06:03 PM
Hey, there, 'Rustyspoon'...

I've been looking forward to using the new 'Microchords' feature, too.

Using your lyric verses as a reference to the form of your musical arrangement, would you indicate where the microchords were applied?

Regardless, to my ears, at least, your minor key compositional sensibilities have once again produced an edgy, downbeat track that heightens the mystery of your lyrics. It's as though you created the song out of mists and shadows that alternately obscure, and then reveal, its possible meanings.

Put another way (if necessary), I think of you as a conjurer of sounds and images that combine to explore moods and feelings hidden behind the surfaces of things.
© PG Music Forums