PG Music Home
Posted By: TuneMonger Bury the Past - 12/29/21 06:08 AM
https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/bury-the-past

Last song of the year. Happy New Year everyone!

The singer is Chris Rice of fiverr.

1732:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockFunky Ev16 090 (I think that's a mistake, it was an Ev8 bass)
2906:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm BluesyPopMike Ev 100
2904:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm GrittyBluesyPopBrent Ev 100
588:Sax, Tenor, 2-Beat Rock Ev 110 (Bluesy)
1742:Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopRaveStringsHeld Ev 120
RealDrums AmericanaFunkyPopFred: a: HiHat,Snare b: Ride,Snare

Lyrics:

I've got a notion and you've got a notion bout what we both can be
I've had lovers and you've had lovers in the great romantic sea,
We both want something, before it gets too late,
Something that'll clear the air, set the matter straight,
Bu-Ry-The-Past, Baby It's what we need to do
Bu-Ry-The-Past, Baby Got to start anew

I know what pain is, it's something heinous, shake you to the core,
You know that players, tend to be strayers, don't want that no more
We gotta get clear of, the burden of what's done
Can't have no fear of, what we ought to shun,

We're strong together, last through the weather, bundle us up, you'll see
Got to believe in, there's no leaving, when it comes to you and me
It's the beginning, of getting the whole thing right,
We're on to winning, morning to the livelong night,
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Bury the Past - 12/29/21 07:44 AM
Hello TuneMonger
Very nice song
You used BiaB very well
Chris does a very good job
Really fun to listen to the song
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: rayc Re: Bury the Past - 12/29/21 07:53 AM
Rice is nice...the very first line is quite sibilant and plosive laden...after that the essing is less frequqnt but, on occasion, it REALLY pops forward.
Did he supply his vocal with reverb or lots of room the the recording? He sounds like he's in a different space to the band ... as does the sax.
Cool song, good narrative.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bury the Past - 12/29/21 03:18 PM
TM,

Your singer does a fine job.

The sax solo works. I agree with ray - the brightness of the sax is a contrast to the rest of the mix.

The pain is/heinous rhyme is notable.

The cadence of Bury The Past is really catchy by the end of the song. That STICKS.

Enjoyed the listen.

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bury the Past - 12/29/21 05:02 PM
"We gotta get clear of, the burden of what's done
Can't have no fear of, what we ought to shun"

Great write and arrangement.

Mr Fiverr earned his pay ... well done. Nice phrasing.

Great song to end the year with or start a new one with!

J&B

PS The mix sounded good to us but it is really loud for these ancient ears smile
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 12/29/21 05:02 PM
I made some changes and uploaded the new version. Who knows, I might have made it worse. Let me know, rayc. I was particularly concerned about the vocal being in a different room as I thought I had gotten past that with my mixing. Plosives are still there, I can't fix them. I imagine if you pay for the expensive vocalists on fiverr you get a pristine stem but I can't afford those chaps. Thanks again to rayc and Floyd for the help.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Bury the Past - 12/29/21 05:30 PM
I thought Dang, you sounds different, and then I read the notes. Good job with Chris - just a touch of Stevie Wonder. laugh

So many cool rhymes! Players/Strayers was one of my (many) favorites.

Good write and production. Loved the sax.

I enjoyed this a lot!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 05:53 AM
Hi TuneMonger,

I wasd directly attracted by the song title. And the lyrics kept what it promised.

Beautiful song, very well instrumented and beautifully sung by Chris.

Great use of the alto sax soloist - I repeatedly used it myself, it's really good.

Liked and enjoyed it a lot.

Happy New Year,

Stefan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 12:28 PM
Hello TuneMonger,

After listening I read all post.
I don't know if this is another version than Ray heard, but I guess it is. The sax sounds very good.
But why didn't you sing yourself? Oh, the vocals of Chris Rice of Fiverr are very good, though still "from another room".

The song itself is very tasty, good beat/ rhythm with a nice melody.
So you did a good job on this one!

A swell 2022,
Hans
(and try your own vocals...)
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 04:21 PM
TuneMonger,

I really enjoyed this tune! Love that 70's soulful vibe going on! Nice touch with those stops in the chorus! Great job! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: firesong Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 04:35 PM
TM...really nice song...the easy jazz style is very relaxing and pleasing to the ear...I too really like the stops in the chorus and the sax solo is perfect...great listen...great production...Dan
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 07:18 PM
Nice work here. Chris does a nice job on the vocals. The band sounds good to me. Did you give Chris the melody to follow or did he come up with that himself? Either way, it's good.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 07:57 PM
Hey JPT,

Thanks, I'm so glad you liked the melody, that means a lot. I make up my own melodies. With BIAB doing so much, and me not singing, melody and lyrics is really all I do. I record a version of the songs I write with my crappy vocal on it and send it to the vocalist (they call it a vocal guide). I also send them a backing track of the song and a text file of the lyrics. They record their vocal and send me back a dry stem. I put the dry stem in the DAW and voila, a song! Of course, it ain't free. When I first started using fiverr for vocalists in 2019, I could find great singers for $25 a song. Those days are gone. Now $40-50 is the cheapest and the singers are good but not great. There are singers on fiverr who ask hundreds of dollars for their services. I imagine the tracks I post here would get less criticism if I could afford those singers. But sibilance and a plosive or two (or more) is normal for $50.

Hans asked why I don't sing my own songs, but my voice is not very good and it is worth it to me to have a decent voice on my songs. Occasionally I sing on novelty songs. Thanks again, I am so frustrated with how the vocals turned out technically on this song (they sound like they are in another room, apparently), so it's great to hear somebody focus on the part that is most important to me, the song itself.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I record a version of the songs I write with my crappy vocal on it and send it to the vocalist (they call it a vocal guide). I also send them a backing track of the song and a text file of the lyrics. They record their vocal and send me back a dry stem. I put the dry stem in the DAW and voila, a song! Of course, it ain't free. When I first started using fiverr for vocalists in 2019, I could find great singers for $25 a song. Those days are gone. Now $40-50 is the cheapest and the singers are good but not great. There are singers on fiverr who ask hundreds of dollars for their services. I imagine the tracks I post here would get less criticism if I could afford those singers. But sibilance and a plosive or two (or more) is normal for $50.

I had no idea this was possible in this price range. Thanks for describing the whole process.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 08:32 PM
Mark,

If you use airgig instead of fiverr, you will find American Idol finalists and semi-finalists, and I used to see some that would work for as cheap as $150. That price may have risen, I haven't checked airgig since 2019.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 09:38 PM
If you use airgig instead of fiverr, you will find American Idol finalists and semi-finalists, and I used to see some that would work for as cheap as $150.

What happens if you like what they send you but need them to do another take? I would assume at these rates it's accept what you get or pay for another? Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially at the AirGig rates you mentioned.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 10:16 PM
What happens if you like what they send you but need them to do another take? I would assume at these rates it's accept what you get or pay for another? Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially at the AirGig rates you mentioned.

On their listing, an artist will state how many revisions are included for the price. Usually, it's one revision, or two at the most. More revisions than that will cost more, and that is usually stated on the listing as well. Even then, the cost of a third or more revision is usually cheaper than the cost of the original gig. Because they are working so cheap, I usually don't ask for a revision unless the problem is really big. If I were paying for the premium vocalists, I would be pickier.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Bury the Past - 12/30/21 11:31 PM

On their listing, an artist will state how many revisions are included for the price. Usually, it's one revision, or two at the most. More revisions than that will cost more, and that is usually stated on the listing as well. Even then, the cost of a third or more revision is usually cheaper than the cost of the original gig. Because they are working so cheap, I usually don't ask for a revision unless the problem is really big. If I were paying for the premium vocalists, I would be pickier.

Much thanks. I never really thought about doing this but I may now, especially since I’ve got singing software to make a guide track.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Bury the Past - 12/31/21 11:12 AM
Happy New Year, TuneMonger. This is an excellent song to put 2021 in the past, and the perfect reason to revisit it. Your lyrics are always perfect.
outstanding with such phrases as "I know what pain is, it's something heinous..." Your melodies are also a cut above the norm, and this one is a large slice above. Creative changes and you found a good singer to pull it off in a very professional way.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Bury the Past - 12/31/21 07:53 PM
You've written a pleasant and appealing melody, and your fivver vocalist does a darn good job with it. I think you got your moneys worth and more.

Good song. Productions sounds fine to me.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 12/31/21 09:13 PM
Hey Marty,

I've been going through my favorite forum songs for 2021. My favorite of yours is Such a Heavenly Woman. That is a hit record in my book. Really enjoy it. Glad you enjoyed Bury the Past. It's not one of my best, but at least I'm staying busy. The only way to write a really good song is to keep writing, IMO. Happy New Year to you!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 12/31/21 09:20 PM
David,

Glad you liked this tune. Thanks for pointing out my rhyming, that means a lot. Since BIAB plays the instruments and I hire out for the vocals, rhyming (and writing the chords/melody) is really all I do. So it's great to get acknowledged for that. Keep up the great work with synth voices in 2022, it will be exciting to see what you do!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 12/31/21 09:25 PM
Hey Bud,

Thanks for quoting a couple of my lines, it's nice to get noticed for that.

OUCH, I'm sorry my track was so loud. Was it just the sax, or the whole track? I recently added some plugins to my separate instruments, but I haven't changed anything on the master buss. Maybe I should cut back the limiter. Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: bluage Re: Bury the Past - 12/31/21 10:10 PM
Hey, there, Mr. 'Tunemonger'...

Dug this production from the first note, my man! I heard it as rhythmically 'funky', and melodically 'cool' and/or 'mellow'. If you were to review my posted comments since I joined the User's Forum, you would notice the word 'dance' or 'dancing' appears frequently, and I just gotta add it to this review of your song, 'Bury the Past'. I immediately envisioned myself in a nice nightclub, approaching a woman sitting by herself, and after introducing myself to her, I immediately say, 'Excuse me, miss, but, ooo-wee, this song makes me want to dance! You feeling it, too? Well, all right, then! This way, please..." Hey, as the late great Muhammad Ali said, "I'm not conceited, just convinced."

Anyway, it's a stone jam, dude! Ooo, can I ever see me and my dancing partner chopping it up on the dance floor. Everything works: the Real Tracks, the upbeat and optimistic lyrics, and Mr. Rice's singing voice makes the entire track a dream to listen to. As I said above, I'm diggin' the hell outta this. Now, please excuse me while I get back to my dancing partner...

P.S. I listened to the track nine times while composing this comment.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 01/01/22 12:16 AM
Thanks, Loren, for taking the time to write. Your reviews are priceless. Yes, this song reminds me of the old days, back when I was a manager of a record store (1972-1979). One of my music buddies, a much better musician than me, calls it The Golden Age. I was a big fan of Thom Bell, who produced The Stylistics and the Spinners among many others. I had hoped to give this song a Thom Bell treatment but found that goal exceeded my skills. I have Session Horns and Session Strings, but I wasn't happy with what I made with those for this track. So I was forced to keep it lean. I'm glad folks still enjoyed it. Thanks again, your reviews, as I've said, are always a real treat. Happy New Year!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Bury the Past - 01/02/22 03:09 PM
Excellent vocal and backtrack. Loved the groove and melody to the song. Well done
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Bury the Past - 01/02/22 06:04 PM
Oh yeah, this is a killer track... outstanding vocal performance... Love it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bury the Past - 01/02/22 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Oh yeah, this is a killer track... outstanding vocal performance... Love it.

Yes this is a killer track. The vocal in perfect for this groove, speaking of which I loved. Super use of BiaB. Nice stabs/hits.

This is your best to date IMHO.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Bury the Past - 01/02/22 09:15 PM
Hi Tunemonger,

Good composition and very well sung.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bury the Past - 01/02/22 11:56 PM
Scott, Mario, Mr. Bloc-head (Welcome!) and Nigel:

Thank you all for your positive comments! Praise is always gratefully accepted, but criticism is fine, too. That's the only way I'm going to get better. Thanks again!

Bob (Tunemonger)
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Bury the Past - 01/03/22 08:15 AM
Good track, I like the groove.

Love the way you did the "Bury The Past baby" part, very effective.

Nice song to end off the year!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Bury the Past - 01/04/22 03:17 PM
TM,
Sweet Jazzy / soul tune. Chris vocals work very well with it. Has a warm vintage feel to it. Excellent set of lyrics and Chris handled phrasing very nicely. Good mix and listens well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Bury the Past - 01/04/22 08:40 PM

Really sweet-sounding song! I like it!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Bury the Past - 01/09/22 08:41 PM
Catchy, fun song!! Very catchy chorus!! I like the singer but I feel there's a little too much room sound on his voice (recording vs processing?) and the bass is a bit boomy. Wonderful song!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Henry Clarke Re: Bury the Past - 01/16/22 04:36 PM
What a GREAT production. It's nicely arranged and easily to listen to and THE SINGER CAN ACTUALLY SING !! :-) Again cool song. I liked it a LOT !!
© PG Music Forums