PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood That day, on the edge to 2022! - 12/30/21 01:24 PM
Hi everyone, this song is based on the themes of learning and forgetting.
But from the perspective of trancience...
It is called: That Day,
link:https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/that-day?si=51fc9c0c83d140ae8f587f1d5a0c3f67&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
It's a long story why I made this song. It has nothing to do with me. It was inspired when meeting someone I knew a long time ago.

For me the song was 'finished' yesterday. So just on the edge to 2022.
I don't really know why that is important, although I think that year will probably bring us a lot of pleasure, musicall greatness and all we else we can use.

Hope you like it, but in all cases I wish you a prosperous 2022!
Hans

========================================
The style is called Dongle. It is in the key of Bb and the tempo is 95 bpm.

RealTracks: 2613, Bass guitar
RealTracks: 3161, Bariton guitar
RealTracks: 3726, Guitar, Electric
RealTracks: 3724, Guitar, Electric
RealTracks: 2930, Guitaar, Acoustic
RealTracks: 2811, Piano, Acoustic
RealDrums: FunkDisco
===========================
Lyrics
That Day
(c) Hans Berkhout, dec 15, 2021
It was that day I remember
It was when I started to walk
Another day I can recall
I then learned how to talk

There was that day I knew so well
I tried to handle falling in love
And there was that day I understood
happiness don't come from above

Refrain
I had to learn how to live
No one taught it me this way
Not my parents and friends, or at school
My preceptor was 'that' day

There was that day I learned crying
When my loved one passed away
It was that day the sky was gray
And I died too, so to say

Refrain
No one taught me it this way
Not my family and friends or at work
My preceptor was 'that' day

Bridge
All these days learned me a lot
But none of them (2x) did stay
While I needed them
I longed for them, every day

=solo=

Refrain
No one taught me it this way
My days have faded since then
Only one had stayed

So life became more easy;
Today I deal with yesterday
Don't try to ask for more
it's yesterday, I'm reliving today
My preceptor is that day...
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 12/30/21 04:26 PM
Excellent work Hans! Your vocals are always excellent and this one certainly continues that tradition! I like that brief guitar only interlude...it really ads depth to the tune! Great work! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 12/30/21 05:56 PM
Nice one to close the year with Hans.
You posted fine songs throughout the year and we look forward to more.

The premise of learning from "those" days is something we can all strive for.

Your vocal and the arrangement were excellent (nice outro especially).
And the piano was standout.

Well done and happy new year!

J&B
Posted By: japokeapeg Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 12/31/21 10:13 AM
Nice work. Some nice contrasts, particularly liked your vocal, well done!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 12/31/21 10:49 AM
Oh, yeah, that day. That would be cool to remember the day you learned to walk. Good song, Hans, and a special Happy New Year to you, and I really like your enthusiasm for 2022. The band is good and tight, and the mix is perfect. Your vocal is always my favorite part. Not a fan of the 8th-note bass. however; it seems to take away from the dynamics in the changes.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 12/31/21 11:53 AM
Hans,

A good write.

Excellent vocals. Might be your best yet. Very nicely mixed.

The BAND sounds good. LOVE the bass sound - and the way it carries the production.

Good arrangement. good mix. cool ending.

VERY much enjoyed!!

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/01/22 12:30 AM
I thought the arrangement was one of your best, maybe the best. I loved the bridge, wish it had lasted a bit longer. I had to look up the word preceptor, I didn't know it.

Nice work!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/01/22 01:57 AM
This was a really thought provoking song, and I think you did a great job with the arrangement. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/01/22 12:13 PM
Hi Torrey,

Thanks a lot for your so nice comment. For me it gives the ending of 2021 a nice feeling.
Welcome in 2022. Let's make nice songs (again)

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Excellent work Hans! Your vocals are always excellent and this one certainly continues that tradition! I like that brief guitar only interlude...it really ads depth to the tune! Great work! Thanks, Torrey

Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/01/22 12:19 PM
Hey Janice and Bud

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Nice one to close the year with Hans.
You posted fine songs throughout the year and we look forward to more.

The premise of learning from "those" days is something we can all strive for.
Your vocal and the arrangement were excellent (nice outro especially).
And the piano was standout.

Well done and happy new year!
J&B

Thanks for this very nice compliment on the song and all others I made that year.
I think Lennon gave a lot of inspiration.
About that learning days: learning to walk and talk were metaphors of how to do this in an expected way.
I hope this year brings even more inspiration. For all of us, so we can continue anoying others, no I meant pleasing them ;-)

Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/01/22 12:25 PM
Hi there Japokeapeg,

I wonder what is behind that name...

Originally Posted By: japokeapeg
Nice work. Some nice contrasts, particularly liked your vocal, well done!

Thanks for your nice compliments!
Today I listened to some of your songs too. Very good!
A little distance from the mike could improve the sound even more.
But the songs are original!

Nice 2022,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/01/22 12:36 PM
Hi Marty,

I start with your so nice compliments (thanks for that):

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, yeah, that day. That would be cool to remember the day you learned to walk. Good song, Hans, and a special Happy New Year to you, and I really like your enthusiasm for 2022. The band is good and tight, and the mix is perfect. Your vocal is always my favorite part. Not a fan of the 8th-note bass. however; it seems to take away from the dynamics in the changes.

And now my reaction to some of the remarks you made. I agree that it would be something if you could remember when you start walking or talking. But that was not what I meant. It was meant metaphorical, learning how society wants you to behave. I could have writen this more clearly, but I hoped this was clear enough. Apparently not...

The other remarks I can only love, but about the bass I thought it would have blown you away ( in a positive way).
Now I wonder how I could have done that differently without loosing that mood in the song.

But whatever,
A very nice and musicall 2022!
Hans
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/02/22 07:54 AM
Hello Hans
This is a great song
Great band, great vocals and great sound
I like it really well
The end is great
Great work, Hans
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: rayc Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/02/22 08:22 AM
Good groove and a a good set of chords.
HANDS DOWN one of your best vocal performances Hans.
I di think the lead guitar at the beginning was a little brittle/crisp but it was gone soon enough.
The slightly off centre lead solo was better though oddly off the middle but, again, it came and went so no biggie.
Posted By: Scott C Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/02/22 03:20 PM
Happy new Year Hans. Excellent tune. Super vocal. Loved the lyric. Excellent backtrack. The quiet break in the middle was a nice touch. Well done...
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/02/22 09:48 PM
Your vocal conveys the emotion well here. Very good performance.

I particularly like the piano track you used.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/03/22 08:36 AM
Hi Hans,

Man, your memory is much better than mine! wink

Seriously though, a very good song! I really like the concept of growing and learning along the way.

Love the change at 2:20, also the way you ended the song, nicely done.

Excellent vocal, lots of passion.

Good song to end off the year I think.
Posted By: PeterF Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/03/22 08:50 PM
Hans

Really good song, nice work on the production and an excellent vocal.

Very enjoyable all round.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/03/22 09:27 PM
Hans, on this day I heard That Day grin

This is a great song.

Super vocal.

Loved that bass! Great chops!

Mixed like a pro.
Posted By: Al-David Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/04/22 12:12 AM
Hans ...

Sorry I'm late to this. Di and I have been very sick since Christmas day.

This is a great song in all respects! Thought-provoking lyric and great mixing of the band. This is really terrific! Best to you in the New Year ...

Alan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/04/22 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty,

I start with your so nice compliments (thanks for that):

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

And now my reaction to some of the remarks you made. I agree that it would be something if you could remember when you start walking or talking. But that was not what I meant. It was meant metaphorical, learning how society wants you to behave. I could have writen this more clearly, but I hoped this was clear enough. Apparently not...

The other remarks I can only love, but about the bass I thought it would have blown you away ( in a positive way).
Now I wonder how I could have done that differently without loosing that mood in the song.

But whatever,
A very nice and musicall 2022!
Hans

Yes, I got the metaphor and it threw me into a what-if (followed closely be a why-not). Silly thought-experiments play in my mind all the time and I let them. Now about the bass, please keep in mind how many comments said they really like it. They far outweigh my slant. It DOES drive the song and the mood.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/05/22 01:26 PM
Hello Floyd, TuneMonger Ember and Andi,

To all of you a very good 2022 in all respects, especially musically!
It was very nice reading your posts on the song, where I thought all of you were celebrating a Christmas holiday.
But I forgot writing posts is some kind of cebrating holidays...

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,
A good write.
Excellent vocals. Might be your best yet. Very nicely mixed.
The BAND sounds good. LOVE the bass sound - and the way it carries the production.
Good arrangement. good mix. cool ending.
VERY much enjoyed!!
fj

Floyd, those exclamation marks at the end of your very nice compliments made me happy. Thanks for that!
It was a great relief there was no mentioning of 'hot' vocals...

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I thought the arrangement was one of your best, maybe the best. I loved the bridge, wish it had lasted a bit longer. I had to look up the word preceptor, I didn't know it.
Nice work!

TuneMonger, when working on this song, by accident I heard that sound I used in the bridge alone. I loved it too!
And it gave me some pleasure you had to look up that word. Funny was that one of my sons, who speaks English also very well, asked me some days ago about the meaning of that word too. So I told him even native speakers had to look it up...
I loved your compliments but hope my best song is still to come!

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This was a really thought provoking song, and I think you did a great job with the arrangement. Thanks for sharing!

Ember, thanks for your very kind words on the lyrics and composition. As I wrote it had something to do with a meeting I had with someone I had last seen for 35 years. She only remembered me and my guitar, but not much else. That brought me to these lyrics.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Hans
This is a great song
Great band, great vocals and great sound
I like it really well
The end is great
Great work, Hans
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Andi, very, very kind of you to write it this way. A buch of compliments from beginning to end! Thanks for that!

So, thanks again everyone and stay safe,
Hans
Posted By: jannesan Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/05/22 04:09 PM
Interesting lyrics, there are certainly couple of days that teach us more than normal days or people around us.
Enjoyed the mostly minor chord progression.
Clever selection of guitars, the baritone, the solo guitar and especially RT3724. Good use of effects and mixing of the solo guitar.
Very nicely flowing arrangement with instruments coming in and out.
Pleasantly dynamic vocals from soft to harder edge.
Overall, very good bluesy pop song to start another year. Have a creative year 2022!

Janne
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/05/22 04:21 PM
Well-constructed song and brilliantly executed. Loved the transition just before the bridge. Very emotive, atmospheric. Well done.
Posted By: bluage Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/05/22 07:00 PM
Hello, 'Birchwood'...

Regardless of how biographical (or not) the story behind the song is, 'That Day' was a momentous one as communicated through your introspective lyrics. They frame your song in a way not unlike a window that admits only a view of part of the vast, troubled sky beyond it, so that our ears, like our vision, are compelled to focus on the drama that is so urgently described within its boundaries.

Put another way, the lyrics are like a lens that magnifies the feel of the apparently fateful experience that you had on 'that day'. It's as though you were sharing a dark secret with us. Powerful, intimately rendered wordcraft, indeed!

Your Real Tracks and Real Drums elections have an easy, folk-rock feel to them that provide an interesting musical contrast to the somber, wounded tone of the lyrics. The choral/vocal harmonies raised the emotional temperature of the song to a thrilling degree.

All-in-all, I believe I just listened to a very skillfully composed song.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/06/22 05:54 PM
Hello Ray, Scott, Ezekiel and Dave,

Thanks for your kind comments on the song and a very nice 2022!
I saw you added your contributes for this New Year on the forum.
I want to listen to them all, but give me some time... It's busy overhere.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Good groove and a a good set of chords.
HANDS DOWN one of your best vocal performances Hans.
I di think the lead guitar at the beginning was a little brittle/crisp but it was gone soon enough.
The slightly off centre lead solo was better though oddly off the middle but, again, it came and went so no biggie.

Wow, Ray, this is a huge compliment from you. I think I never received one of these ever before from you!
On the other hand, it hurts me a little you called it on of my best performances. I loved some of my earlier songs a bit more.
But I also saw it as a compliment on my mixing and mastering. That has improved I think. Don't know if it stays that way...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Happy new Year Hans. Excellent tune. Super vocal. Loved the lyric. Excellent backtrack. The quiet break in the middle was a nice touch. Well done...

Scott, that little break... A lot of you mentioned it. And as I wrote to some, I liked how it worked out at last. In the beginning i had some issues with it's sound. But thanks a lot!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your vocal conveys the emotion well here. Very good performance.
I particularly like the piano track you used.

Ezekiel, very nice of you to say. And that piano track was indeed a very nice one here.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Hans,
Man, your memory is much better than mine! wink
Seriously though, a very good song! I really like the concept of growing and learning along the way.
Love the change at 2:20, also the way you ended the song, nicely done.
Excellent vocal, lots of passion.
Good song to end off the year I think.

Dave, I think you are right. I have a great memory. I know my first word as well (I think I was twelve).
Nice you liked the song and the little bridge. But keep in mind the song finally deals with forgetting. Now I only remember yesterday. Oh! And today when listening to your beautiful Wheels of Fortune. You have a very good voice!

Have a nice day everyone,
Hans
Posted By: dcuny Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/07/22 04:35 AM
Late to the party, but not too late to enjoy the song!

I agree with the others - solid tune with a driving bass. Coo; (and unexpected) bridge.

Cool harmony.

Happy (Belated) New Year!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/08/22 10:41 AM
Hi Peter, Mario and Al,

I'm a bit behind with answering your very kind posts. Sorry for that.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans
Really good song, nice work on the production and an excellent vocal.
Very enjoyable all round.
Peter

Peter, thanks for your nice comment. I hope to continue collecting your kind of comments ;-)

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hans, on this day I heard That Day grin
This is a great song.
Super vocal.
Loved that bass! Great chops!
Mixed like a pro.

Mario, when reading that first line I thought now the memory thing comes, but not ;-)
Thanks for your so nice compliments on the whole range of the song. I hope I can keep that level!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hans ...

Sorry I'm late to this. Di and I have been very sick since Christmas day.
This is a great song in all respects! Thought-provoking lyric and great mixing of the band. This is really terrific! Best to you in the New Year ...
Alan

Alan, I think I win with being late. I have a lot of excuses of course, but still it is not nice of me. But all the best for you and Di this year. I think you need it, as I read how ill you both were in december...
And it is very nice of you to give me this very nice compliment on the range of the making of this song. As I wrote to Mario, I hope I can continuate that level. You are the one telling me...

So I wish you all at least a very nice weekend within the nice new year (can you follow me?)
Hans
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/08/22 10:52 AM
Hans,
Strong tune with excellent message. Nice groove and instrumental arrangement. Catchy. It seems you figured out mixing of your vocals smile Well balanced tune. Good one! Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!

Misha.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/09/22 09:34 AM
Hi Marty (again), Janne, Ghostgum, Bluage, David and Misha,

Thanks for your nice posts. They were all very nice to read.

Marty, I didn't copy your last post, but I was curious what other bass I could have used. And because you are the master on the bass you have to tell it me onde day. I read about your bucketlist, so there comes a nice time to tell me...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Interesting lyrics, there are certainly couple of days that teach us more than normal days or people around us.
Enjoyed the mostly minor chord progression.
Clever selection of guitars, the baritone, the solo guitar and especially RT3724. Good use of effects and mixing of the solo guitar.
Very nicely flowing arrangement with instruments coming in and out.
Pleasantly dynamic vocals from soft to harder edge.
Overall, very good bluesy pop song to start another year. Have a creative year 2022!
Janne

Janne, that was a very nice post you wrote. There is much to say about 'that day' for all of us. For me the thing I learned was that you have to do it all by yourself. I hoped there would have been a preceptor, but I had to create that too.
But the nice, or sad part is when you start forgetting it all until only a few memories are left. This is not the case (yet) with me, but when I met that person I saw that.
And thanks for the nice things you said on the instrumental parts.

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Well-constructed song and brilliantly executed. Loved the transition just before the bridge. Very emotive, atmospheric. Well done.

Ghostgum, it came by accident, that transition, as you called it, but I liked it instantly. At first I wanted to give it more bars, but i think that would have been a bad idea. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, 'Birchwood'...
Regardless of how biographical (or not) the story behind the song is, 'That Day' was a momentous one as communicated through your introspective lyrics. They frame your song in a way not unlike a window that admits only a view of part of the vast, troubled sky beyond it, so that our ears, like our vision, are compelled to focus on the drama that is so urgently described within its boundaries.

Put another way, the lyrics are like a lens that magnifies the feel of the apparently fateful experience that you had on 'that day'. It's as though you were sharing a dark secret with us. Powerful, intimately rendered wordcraft, indeed!

Your Real Tracks and Real Drums elections have an easy, folk-rock feel to them that provide an interesting musical contrast to the somber, wounded tone of the lyrics. The choral/vocal harmonies raised the emotional temperature of the song to a thrilling degree.
All-in-all, I believe I just listened to a very skillfully composed song.

Bluage, what a nice way of telling me your feelings about the song and lyrics! Very clever! Although partially not what I meant to say. There was no real dark secret. There was a sad / ironic situation (first you had to learn a lot and then all got lost because of a type of amnesia). But how you thought of it is very nice and in a way beautiful. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Late to the party, but not too late to enjoy the song!
I agree with the others - solid tune with a driving bass. Coo; (and unexpected) bridge.
Cool harmony.
Happy (Belated) New Year!

David, I think I am late too with answering your post! And 'that bridge' was mentioned by nearly all. So it was a success, although not intentionally at first.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Strong tune with excellent message. Nice groove and instrumental arrangement. Catchy. It seems you figured out mixing of your vocals smile Well balanced tune. Good one! Thank you for sharing and Happy new year!
Misha.

Misha, thanks for your nice comment. I am not sure if I conquered the mixing process on the vocals, but in this song it went well.
there is always that eq problems in a certain range, also because my tinitus lives there...

Have a very nice day everyone,
Hans
Posted By: bloc-head Re: That day, on the edge to 2022! - 01/10/22 03:32 PM
Excellent song & production... Enjoyed.
© PG Music Forums