PG Music Home
Posted By: robsmusic I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/04/22 11:46 PM
Happy New Year to all!

I just wanted to share this song that started as an experiment in trying to write a song using only 2 chords.

(The 2 main chords are AbMaj7/Eb and EbMaj7, and the ending chord is AbMaj11).

I Can Dream-rough mix

I sing all vocals and play live acoustic drums and cymbals.
I used royalty free loops for the bass guitar and electric guitars.
Loops also provide the trap style beat loop, the riser, and some atmospheric textures .

Acoustic guitars are BIAB real tracks:
Guitar - 3715 Guitar, Baritone Acoustic, Fingerpicking AmericanaRootsy Ev16 085-01
Guitar - 3654 Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking IndiePickingBright Ev16 075
Guitar - 3646 Guitar, Nylon Fingerpicking IndieFolk16ths Ev16 100

Strings, Pads are layered Spitfire LABS pads, Spitfire Intimate Strings, and Halion Sonic SE synth strings
Bell Tree is from the xPand2 vst synth
Scarbee 88 is the Electric Piano.
Scarbee PreBass for additional bass.
Synth solo is played on Novation MiniNova.

recorded in CUBASE

I Can Dream 12-4-2021

the air is magical tonight
stars shine like their dancing in your eyes
golden moonbeams smile on us

i wake up from my sleep
oh no, I must be dreaming
'cause it's too good , too good., too good to be true
(too good to be true)

but i can dream
dream about you
i only wish i could really be living this dream

enchanted garden paradise
you softly touch me and whisper you love me
fragrant wildflowers and morning dew ooh

your body glows like the sunrise
yellow roses and rainbows surround you
you’re too, too, too good to be true

but i can dream
dream about you
i only wish i could really be living this dream

peace,
-rob
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/05/22 06:59 AM
Hello Rob.
Thank you, a great new year to you too
Your song is really excellent
Your singing is incredibly good
You could play this song on the radio anytime
Really good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Hi Rob,

This is a real cracker! - good song, great singing and superb production.

Loved it.

Rob - Is this what they call the "Philadelphia sound"?

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: PeterF Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/05/22 05:14 PM
Rob

Very nice work. Nice to hear someone play drums on their track.

A really big lush sound and vocal.

A very pretty well produced song.

Peter
Posted By: robsmusic Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/05/22 09:42 PM
Thank you all for listening and for those that commented as well.

Nigel,the "Philadelphia Sound" as espoused by the artists, writers, and producers of Philly International Records and others, is one of my

favorite styles of music so I'm sure that much of the music that I write is influenced by the Philadelphia Sound in some way. smile

Keep making great music, all!

Peace,
-rob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/06/22 10:51 AM
Such a wonderful sound, Rob. The perfect mix. Voices are amazing. Man, this song can take one away ---just like a dream. Outstanding. Thanks.
Wow Rob! What a beautiful sound! Love that sweet vocal! Maj7 chords draw me in to almost any tune! There's so much going on here that it's hard to appreciate it all! Your drums/playing are excellent! All the little background touches like the chimes synths etc. are off the charts good! This could be playing on any good Smooth Jazz station! Thanks, Torrey
Excellent work, very professional on all levels.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/07/22 04:39 AM
I'm with Torry - I love those sweet, sweet Maj7th chords. Lovely harmonies, lush pads and cool stereo effects.

Like floating through a dream.

Really nice! laugh
Posted By: rayc Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/07/22 06:19 AM
Smooth and more than a little Marvin.
I don't think the 2nd line works lyrically/melodically/phrasing
"stars shine like their dancing in your eyes"
but it's no big thing once the chorus arrives.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/07/22 02:25 PM
My thanks to all for listening and commenting.

I can tell that you really paid attention to the details and I appreciate that. smile

Peace!
-rob
Posted By: firesong Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/07/22 03:32 PM
Rob...if this is a rough cut man I can't wait for the finished product...I say stick a fork in it...it's done....great production from the vocals (very cool) to all of the instrumentation...I really loved this...you can only make a two chord song with major7 chords or a good one at least...and you did! Dan
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/07/22 06:19 PM
Rob, if this is a rough cut what do you call a polished cut?

This is absolutely magnificent! Your mix is outstanding. Your production skills are second to none, plus you have a fantastic voice. And you can never go wrong with a Maj7 chord!

This is pro all the way.

Loved it.

Ron,
Pretty good for 2 chords smile Nice modern Soul tune. Pro use of FX and mix is A+! Easy listen. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
The experiment was a success!!! If you're going to use only 2 chords, the one and four in major sevenths is the best way to go. Great vibe and vocal.......has that old school soul sound!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: bloc-head Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/10/22 02:40 PM
Excellent groove & mix... Smooth sounds...
Posted By: robsmusic Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/10/22 02:57 PM
Thank you to all who gave of their time to listen, and for those who gave even more of their time to comment!

I appreciate you!

-rob
Two chords or a handful of chords that is one lovely production.

This is a production for which we feel no need to try and parse out.
EVERYTHING is standout.

Most enjoyable!

J&B
Posted By: dani48 Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/12/22 02:40 PM

Hi, Rob !

I think this is just a masterpiece
no matter how many chords !
I just love it, so delicate and smooth
is your singing - absolutely wonderful !

Gracias Bob !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/13/22 02:56 PM
Lovely backtrack and vocal. incredible mix. Awesome listen. Well done
Posted By: alsky Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/14/22 09:42 PM
Rob, You must be a recording artist. This song sounds so well produced and your vocal is as good as any I've heard. Great mood for this song and great sounding back-up from BIAB. I wish I had your vocal range and talent.

Yeah, this sounds really great. Wonderful production.
I echo all the accolades. This is very professional sounding. Wonderfully performed and arranged.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Can Dream ( 2 chord song experiment) - 01/16/22 01:49 PM
Although only two chords, they are really smooth and pleasant. I really enjoy this kind of shamelessly romantic lyrics and the carefully constructed soulful band. The vocals and the backing vocals are simply excellent. Great mix.

Janne
Rob,

A terrific sound.

Very nice production. Excellent background vocals! Good mix.

Enjoyed the listen.

fj
Sweet!
Who needs needs more than 2?
Not you!

moto
© PG Music Forums