PG Music Home
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 02:43 AM
WEDDING ON THE GREEN
Hi fellow forumites,
Here’s a folky sort of wedding song with an Irish twist.
It features uilleann pipes, Irish flute, cello, Dx7 keys, Native Instruments' Picked Acoustic guitar, acoustic bass and drums.
I’d love you to have a listen or two and tell me what you think.
Constructive criticism and fulsome praise equally welcome grin .
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Wedding on the Green was created in RealBand
REALTRACKS USED:
RT2959 and 2960: Bass, Acoustic - Neil Swainson
RT912_Electric Piano, Rhythm background - Jeff Lorber
RealDrums-NashBrushBalDbKEv16 – Brian Fullen
RT1856: Cello, Background – Matt Nelson
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 04:38 AM
Quite nice, Mike. Loved the tempo changes and the use of Irish trad instruments. Did you use the uillean pipes in Kontakt? They lacked the character of the real thing, but that is often the issue, not much you can do about that. There is a drone on them, did you try that? Anyway, I listened several times, it has a nice energy to it that indeed would be pleasant to hear at a wedding. Good work!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 11:02 AM
A very special arrangement. Love the often rubato feel. Yes, Irish for sure. Great choice of instruments. The mix and tune development are extraordinary, Mike. So entertaining. Thanks.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 01:49 PM
Hi Mike,

I almost missed this one. You always do such excellent work! Loved the way it moved into a softer mellow sound about a minute in! The arrangement is awesome! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: bloc-head Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 02:45 PM
This is truly Outstanding... Love the tempo changes, instrumentation, mix, production... I love everything about this...
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 03:34 PM
Hi, Mike.

OK, hopefully constructive criticism:

I'm not a huge fan of MIDI instruments, but I'll made an exception with the electric piano. Still, I'd add a bit of chorusing or something to make it a bit more alive.

The trills on the flutes are nice, but placing them in a room using reverb might help get rid of the "MIDI" sound they have.

Fulsome praise:
Everything else! laugh

bloc-head mentioned everything else that stood out... except the acoustic guitar. That really helped elevate the song.

Very nice track - excellent arrangement. I've not used tempo changes before, but you do it very effectively, and I really should add it to my bag of tricks.

Excellent work.
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 07:33 PM
Lovely backtrack Mike. Excellent intro. Very pretty melody. Love the Irish vibe to the song. Really cool listen...
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/15/22 09:54 PM
Really pretty song Mike!! Great use of the various RTs!! Lovely melody and nice production!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/16/22 08:11 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Quite nice, Mike. Loved the tempo changes and the use of Irish trad instruments. Did you use the uillean pipes in Kontakt? They lacked the character of the real thing, but that is often the issue, not much you can do about that. There is a drone on them, did you try that? Anyway, I listened several times, it has a nice energy to it that indeed would be pleasant to hear at a wedding. Good work!

Thanks for listening TuneMonger.
The Irish flute doubles the uilleann pipes during the song which tends to soften their characteristic harshness to a certain extent.
Glad you enjoyed the song.
Stay well,
Mike
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/16/22 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
A very special arrangement. Love the often rubato feel. Yes, Irish for sure. Great choice of instruments. The mix and tune development are extraordinary, Mike. So entertaining. Thanks.
Thanks for listening Marty. I appreciate your comments.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/16/22 06:34 PM
Mike,
that " folky sort" is the best part smile Nice tune. Interesting and complex arrangement. I personally like DX stuff to be more airy. Clear mix and listens well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/16/22 07:12 PM
Super enjoyable ear candy. It sounds to me like a wedding between traditional Irish music and a 1980s TV show theme song – and I get the TV vibe so strong at times I can almost see credits.

Good to hear someone using tempo changes (though it's a wee bit overdone here IMO.) Tempo change, even very slight, is a natural part of music that software makes it too easy to ignore, but it should be the norm rather than the exception (and I'm lecturing to myself here mostly.)
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/17/22 11:19 AM
liked the jaunty feel of this song.
at 1m14secs liked that instrument sound.
lots of interesting sound pictures.
cool ending.
best to you.
om
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/17/22 11:31 AM
Mike,

The tempo changes are certainly interesting. Good of you to "wake us all up" to the idea...

There are times when I felt there was "too much going on" - part of that might be that I'm not a big fan of Irish music (or wedding music, for that matter). But, overall, it is a pretty piece...

I'm always impressed by your attention to detail - and the amount of work that obviously goes into your music...

Good mix.

An interesting listen, for sure...

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/17/22 09:33 PM
Nice one Mike,
I'm not a fan of the keyboard sound in the intro particularly..sounded fixed in the 80s to my old ears.
the rest of the mix, while occasionally busy, is clear and solid.
Very enjoyable stuff.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/18/22 08:46 PM
I listened to this I think twice yesterday. Now it keeps running through my head today.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/19/22 06:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Hi Mike,

I almost missed this one. You always do such excellent work! Loved the way it moved into a softer mellow sound about a minute in! The arrangement is awesome! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey. Your feedback is most appreciated.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/19/22 03:36 PM
Hello Mike
Great song
BiaB used very well and varied
Very good work Mike
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/20/22 08:39 AM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
This is truly Outstanding... Love the tempo changes, instrumentation, mix, production... I love everything about this...

Thanks for listening bloc-head and for your kind words.
Stay well,
Mike
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Mike.

OK, hopefully constructive criticism:

I'm not a huge fan of MIDI instruments, but I'll made an exception with the electric piano. Still, I'd add a bit of chorusing or something to make it a bit more alive.

The trills on the flutes are nice, but placing them in a room using reverb might help get rid of the "MIDI" sound they have.

Fulsome praise:
Everything else! laugh

bloc-head mentioned everything else that stood out... except the acoustic guitar. That really helped elevate the song.

Very nice track - excellent arrangement. I've not used tempo changes before, but you do it very effectively, and I really should add it to my bag of tricks.

Excellent work.
Thanks David. Midi sounds are a challenge but I think the more I try things - and get constructive feedback - the better I'm going to get.
Glad you like the acoustic guitar.
Thanks for listening,
Mike
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/20/22 09:04 AM
Hi Mike,

Wow, quite the production!

Love the arrangement and melody. Also like the tempo changes.

Really well done! On my second listen as I type this.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/20/22 12:49 PM
We always enjoy something different when done well like this.

Your track sources along with the RT's make for really nice, even cinematic, sound.

The arrangement with the tempo changes, etc., along with the mix (sounds good on our monitors) all make for an enjoyable and intriguing production.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/21/22 08:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely backtrack Mike. Excellent intro. Very pretty melody. Love the Irish vibe to the song. Really cool listen...

Thanks Scott. I certainly appreciate your always giving my tracks a listen.
Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really pretty song Mike!! Great use of the various RTs!! Lovely melody and nice production!! Take care. Greg
Thanks for listening and for your kind words, Greg.
Stay well,
Mike
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mike,
that " folky sort" is the best part smile Nice tune. Interesting and complex arrangement. I personally like DX stuff to be more airy. Clear mix and listens well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Thanks Misha. When I listened back to one of my earlier songs where I used the DX, it had a better, "more airy" sound. I'll investigate further to see what settings I used.
Thanks again for your interest.
Mike
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/21/22 04:59 PM
Nice. I was surprised by several of the instruments. The picked acoustic by NI. I've experimented with midi guitars and could never get them sounding right. The nuances are the PITA for that. I didn't hear what I consider to be an Irish influence in there..... but that's just me and what I think. I was waiting for an Irishman or lady to start singing with a distinct Irish brogue but.... surprise.... it was instrumental.

I still enjoyed it.
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/21/22 06:19 PM
Mike

A very pretty piece and nice easy listening. Good instrument choices and nice arrangement.

Enjoyed it.

Peter
Posted By: dani48 Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/22/22 05:16 AM
Hi, Mike !

This was absolutely wonderful,
how sweet a tune as possible !
I am weak for this kind of music
and everything here is absolutely
superbly made and performed !

To me it sounds like a masterpiece !

Thank you, Mike !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/23/22 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Super enjoyable ear candy. It sounds to me like a wedding between traditional Irish music and a 1980s TV show theme song – and I get the TV vibe so strong at times I can almost see credits.

Good to hear someone using tempo changes (though it's a wee bit overdone here IMO.) Tempo change, even very slight, is a natural part of music that software makes it too easy to ignore, but it should be the norm rather than the exception (and I'm lecturing to myself here mostly.)
Thanks for listening Mark, and for your comments.
I'm curious: any particular 1980s TV show?
Mike
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
liked the jaunty feel of this song.
at 1m14secs liked that instrument sound.
lots of interesting sound pictures.
cool ending.
best to you.
om
Thanks oldmuso. Glad you liked the song.
The sound at 1m14sec is the melody (Uilleann pipes and Irish flute) doubled with LABS Synth Strings (free at https://labs.spitfireaudio.com).
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mike,

The tempo changes are certainly interesting. Good of you to "wake us all up" to the idea...

There are times when I felt there was "too much going on" - part of that might be that I'm not a big fan of Irish music (or wedding music, for that matter). But, overall, it is a pretty piece...

I'm always impressed by your attention to detail - and the amount of work that obviously goes into your music...

Good mix.

An interesting listen, for sure...

fj
Thanks Floyd. I appreciate you commenting even though you are not a fan of Irish or wedding music smile
Stay well,
Mike
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/23/22 08:30 PM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

Thanks for listening Mark, and for your comments.
I'm curious: any particular 1980s TV show?

I just flipped though a couple of channels, this is the kind of sound I was remembering. Here's "Who's The Boss?" from 1986:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHWYAs0x90c
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/25/22 08:09 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Nice one Mike,
I'm not a fan of the keyboard sound in the intro particularly..sounded fixed in the 80s to my old ears.
the rest of the mix, while occasionally busy, is clear and solid.
Very enjoyable stuff.
Thanks Ray. As always, I value your feedback.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Mike
Great song
BiaB used very well and varied
Very good work Mike
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Thanks for listening Andi. Glad you liked it it.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Mike,

Wow, quite the production!

Love the arrangement and melody. Also like the tempo changes.

Really well done! On my second listen as I type this.

Thanks for listening Dave. I appreciate your comments.
Stay well,
Mike
Posted By: RnAM Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/25/22 11:33 AM
Hi Mike,

An answer just from me, as I have Irish ancestors smile
Love this music!
And I like the picture on Soundcloud too!

Anne-Marie
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/26/22 09:31 PM
I like this and the different movements you included. The is one sections that makes me feel like I'm gliding over the Irish landscape.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/27/22 07:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We always enjoy something different when done well like this.

Your track sources along with the RT's make for really nice, even cinematic, sound.

The arrangement with the tempo changes, etc., along with the mix (sounds good on our monitors) all make for an enjoyable and intriguing production.

Well done!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud. I certainly appreciate your interest and your comments.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice. I was surprised by several of the instruments. The picked acoustic by NI. I've experimented with midi guitars and could never get them sounding right. The nuances are the PITA for that. I didn't hear what I consider to be an Irish influence in there..... but that's just me and what I think. I was waiting for an Irishman or lady to start singing with a distinct Irish brogue but.... surprise.... it was instrumental.

I still enjoyed it.
Thanks for listening Guitarhacker.
Glad you enjoyed my song, even without an Irish singer smile
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mike

A very pretty piece and nice easy listening. Good instrument choices and nice arrangement.

Enjoyed it.

Peter
I appreciate your comments Peter.
Hope you had a good Australia Day yesterday.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/28/22 08:48 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Mike !

This was absolutely wonderful,
how sweet a tune as possible !
I am weak for this kind of music
and everything here is absolutely
superbly made and performed !

To me it sounds like a masterpiece !

Thank you, Mike !

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Mike,

An answer just from me, as I have Irish ancestors smile
Love this music!
And I like the picture on Soundcloud too!

Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I like this and the different movements you included. The is one sections that makes me feel like I'm gliding over the Irish landscape.
Thanks Dani, Anne-Marie and Ezekiel's Storm for listening and for your very encouraging comments.
Your words are music to my ears.
Stay well everyone,
Mike
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 01/31/22 12:56 AM
Even if I'm not too familiar with Irish music, I have to say that it felt that you put your heart in it. This is a very enjoyable tune!
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 02/02/22 08:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Even if I'm not too familiar with Irish music, I have to say that it felt that you put your heart in it. This is a very enjoyable tune!
Thanks Angelo for your interest.
Your comments are much appreciated.
Keep well,
Mike
Posted By: jannesan Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 02/04/22 11:42 AM
I like Irish folk music so this is very refreshing song. Beautiful chord progression and very cool pipes, I wish to hear more them. The mood certainly has wedding theme, dancing and green fields. Many nice changes.

Janne
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 02/05/22 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I like Irish folk music so this is very refreshing song. Beautiful chord progression and very cool pipes, I wish to hear more them. The mood certainly has wedding theme, dancing and green fields. Many nice changes.

Janne
Thanks Janne, for listening and for your comments.
Glad you liked the song.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Birchwood Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 02/07/22 12:58 PM
Hello Mike,

On SoundCloud I wrote 'it must have been e very nice wedding', because this song gave that impression.
I read all compliments on your composition, the melody and tempo changes and that's what i think too.
And, although midi is a bit 'dangerous' to use for piano's and flutes, you managed to let them sound fairly good!

I bet realising the tempo changes in BiaB must have gave some headacke, but it's done very good.

Hans
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 02/08/22 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Mike,

On SoundCloud I wrote 'it must have been e very nice wedding', because this song gave that impression.
I read all compliments on your composition, the melody and tempo changes and that's what i think too.
And, although midi is a bit 'dangerous' to use for piano's and flutes, you managed to let them sound fairly good!

I bet realising the tempo changes in BiaB must have gave some headacke, but it's done very good.

Hans
Thanks for listening and for your comments Hans.
Yes, it was a very nice wedding.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 02/08/22 09:02 PM
I'm really glad that I didn't miss this one.

This is a very clever piece of music that was executed perfectly.

Super grooves.

Mike, this is your best to date IMHO.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: NEW SONG: Wedding on the Green - 02/10/22 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm really glad that I didn't miss this one.

This is a very clever piece of music that was executed perfectly.

Super grooves.

Mike, this is your best to date IMHO.
Wow! Thanks Mario. I really appreciate your comments.
Cheers,
Mike
© PG Music Forums