PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper Woosey Bluesy - 01/25/22 05:59 PM
Made another recording today. This time, no housefly . . .
https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677/woosey-bluesey
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/25/22 10:16 PM

I miss the Fly!

Well done.

moto
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/25/22 11:05 PM
Thank ya Captain
Posted By: dcuny Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 01:19 AM
12 bar blues - you can't go wrong! smile

Plus, you've already got two spam likes!

But no RealTrack listing?
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 10:07 AM
David,

Is this what you mean "_BLSW_GS.STY Blues w/Electric Guitar Solo"?

Also, do you know how to have this site notify me when a post of interest (such as yours) comes in? I tried "Watch" but it doesn't seem to work forcing me to sift thru the list of latest postings.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 11:13 AM
BT.
Good musical bed. Now you need lyrics to go with it smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 11:16 AM
Good blues. Is that you on bass? I like what Misha said about now putting on the lyrics. Well done, Bass Thumper.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 11:50 AM
Misha, thanks for the compliment. As for lyrics/singing, I'd first need to get notarized approval from my shower curtain . . . which is highly unlikely at this point smile But that does raise a good point. If I were to put lyrics to paper are there people here willing to sing them on top of my track? In other words . . . collaboration. If so, is there a specific forum for this sort of thing?

Marty, yep that is my bass playing, every track there has my thumping going on with the "BiaB bassist" muted. When I first heard about BiaB a couple years ago I instantly knew it would be a great practice tool. Now I'm seeing that it can also showcase vocals and instruments. What a great piece of visionary software and musical engineering !

If you don't mind me asking, how do you use Cakewalk? I see several people here use it.

--Steve
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper

If you don't mind me asking, how do you use Cakewalk? I see several people here use it.

--Steve

Long story, Steve --kinda. Cakewalk was the first DAW I used (2019). It's free and it does everything. Early 2020 I changed computers and Cakewalk for some reason didn't travel well to the new one. It kept giving me error message when I tried to access a song. Frustrated, I bought Reaper (which is great), but was never able to set it up correctly for recording. Cakewalk still worked fine for that. So now I just drop in a bed on the first track of Cakewalk, then record bass, vocals or whatever on other tracks, then take those stems to Reaper for mixing and mastering.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 12:25 PM
Ahhh, I think I get it, it's a DAW. You seem to be doing much more sophisticated stuff than me; I'm just getting started on much of this.

I use Audacity for recording my bass and for mixing with the BiaB backing track. Audacity seems to do everything I need at this point and I'm getting better with it day by day.

Do you find that you need or use software to generate chord progressions? Or does BiaB and your personal music skills suffice?
I'd like to find a good software or website that can give ideas on chord progressions and song structure; intro, V1, V2, Chorus, Bridge, etc. Although, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from generating chord progressions and structure thru experimentation.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 12:43 PM
Very nice blues!
BTW if you click on MEMO in BIAB, you'll find not only the style, but also the Real Tracks etc. Copy/paste.
Most people here, mention the style and the RTs. That's all.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 01:02 PM
Bass Thumper......Cool blues jam. Almost every backyard jam session I ever went to invariably started with a blues jam in A. Sometimes, several hours and many beers later, we were still on the same blues jam with a slightly different groove and possibly in a different key.

Yes, many of us here use Cakewalk in one form or another or some other DAW. The DAW you choose is totally a personal choice. Cakewalk by Bandlab is now free. And it's the big, full featured one that used to cost hundreds of dollars. In addition, most of us are using s USB interface of some sort or another. The main reason being functionality and features for editing and doing other things to the music.

If you have BB, and are on a windows PC, you already have a DAW called Real Band that came with BB. It is fairly useful as a DAW but it does lack some of the functionality and features you would find in Sonar, for example. But that withstanding, several here do use it exclusively to do their music.

The point is, you have started. Now if you want to pursue this at some other level..... you'll probably start looking into those things and more. Get the gear you want, to do what you want to do, in the way and to the quality you want it done..... then learn how to use it. We're here to help and assist and provide information when you ask for it. That's how I learned. One step at a time and ask lots of questions.

Oh and yes.... people here do collaborate. All you have to do is ask.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 01:52 PM
Hey Hacker,
Thanks for the brief orientation, for a newbie all of this can be like drinking from a fire hose at times. I am aware of Real Band and do have it; opened it once or twice but couldn't figure out what it's main purpose in life is. Like Cakewalk, Audacity is free and does pretty much what I need it to do . . . so far.

As for new tools for my toolbox my approach is generally to first identify what it is I'd like to do, then, if my tool set can't fully do it to then search for a tool that can. To that end . . .

Do you find that you need or use software to generate chord progressions? Or does BiaB and your personal music skills suffice?
I'd like to find a good software or website that can give ideas on chord progressions and song structure; Intro, V1, V2, Chorus, Bridge, etc. Although, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from generating chord progressions and structure thru experimentation.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Woosey Bluesy - 01/26/22 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Hey Hacker,
Thanks for the brief orientation, for a newbie all of this can be like drinking from a fire hose at times. I am aware of Real Band and do have it; opened it once or twice but couldn't figure out what it's main purpose in life is. Like Cakewalk, Audacity is free and does pretty much what I need it to do . . . so far.

As for new tools for my toolbox my approach is generally to first identify what it is I'd like to do, then, if my tool set can't fully do it to then search for a tool that can. To that end . . .

I'd like to find a good software or website that can give ideas on chord progressions and song structure; Intro, V1, V2, Chorus, Bridge, etc. Although, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from generating chord progressions and structure thru experimentation.

Real Band is a multi-track DAW. You can create a song in BB, save it, and reopen it in RB. Now, in RB, the tracks from BB will repopulate and you can now record your own tracks such as vocals or additional instruments. In addition, and this is how I use RB.... say for example you used the LA Hard Rock style which contains a couple of guitars, bass and drums, but you want to add a fiddle, mandolin or a steel guitar to the song. You simply select a new clear track.... after you select any on the other tracks using the SELECT ENTIRE TRACK function to highlight any of the other tracks in their entirety. Now you click on generate a real track on the clear track you selected and choose your instrument.

Generating chord progressions. Nope.... I generally write the chords into the grid based on what I am writing at the moment. Choruses and verses and bridges are easy to figure out. Write the song and you will know and feel where they need to go. I use the Blue and Green part markers to differentiate between them. Same thing with figuring out the progressions..... start playing it and change the chords as needed. A bit of music theory is helpful but not an absolute must-have. Experiment. Everything can be changed.

Take the time to view the videos and tutorials in the Support page on the PG website. There's a lot of really useful things there.

When you get stuck or hit the brick wall, come to the correct forum and ask the questions you have as clearly and concisely as possible and include the specifics of what you did and are trying to do.

Good luck and have fun.
© PG Music Forums