PG Music Home
Ok, so I'm sure most if not all of us have used different features within the program to aid in completing a song beyond it just being the "Band behind you", whether it be suggestions of chords here & there, contribute a solo, intro or even a middle. But what about the whole thing, the entire song from start to finish?! Is that even feasible??
Well, today was my first time in doing precisely that; not just because I seem to have rather "misplaced my musical mojo" about 18 months ago or so, but also I was always aware of this as something the program was supposedly being able to do but I never really looked at as any sort of seriously viable thing, and quite frankly always suspected the demos of this had to have been 'fiddled' with by humans at some stage. But now the curiosity has finally got the better of me, so I give you: Band-in-a-Box, the artist - and it, to my astonishment, in return gave me this absolute beauty of a piece:

SLOWLY DISAPPEARING

All I did was randomly pick the genre parameters (see screenshot) & sound sources where needed, and the program did the rest*, even the intro isn't mine cool

p.s. I was told this one might do well with lyrics so if any of you 'wordsmiths' out there see this one as a viable candidate, feel free to experiment.

* Note: The newer versions of the program now prefer to use RT styles for this task, but since there were elements of the midi style it would otherwise would've used in this case that I quite liked, I subtly 'merged' portions of it onto the other. And that's the only input I had in this little experiment.

Attached picture Parameters.png
All I can say is BIAB is good stuff!
I'm only scratching the surface of what it can do.
Glad you're exploring

sounds good to me.

smile
Well, that didn't take long, the song has barely been up an hour! crazy

Much obliged, I'm sure, much obliged cool
What? There are Mac users on this forum? wink

You're right - it generates a pleasant melody on top of a nice arrangement.

I've occasionally used it when I couldn't think of anything, but then typically editing the heck out of it after that.
This particular one is very impressive! Is this the "melodist" feature? I need to read in the manual more about this. Didn't realize it makes the entire song not just the melody.
Very cool. I've used that feature a lot many years ago to practice songs I didn't know because at the time I was in a house band kinda thing where travelling musicians would sit in and just play. BiaB made one for me recently that I changed very little called One Night Away.

Enough about me... wink Yeah, Icelander. it's a really cool feature. They even give the songs a title. It doesn't seem to write simple songs, but it is a fun feature. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Icelander,

A lovely piece of music indeed.
And we've never done it like this.
We'll give it a try one of these days.
Thanks for sharing!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Way back in the early days of using BB, I did quite a few such experiments. I found that often BB didn't provide a "good" song structure when I used the Melodist function. It did however, quite often, provide something that I could easily edit into something resembling a slightly more structured song.

I found that this worked well for jazz styles and have a few songs on my page to prove it. On my music page..... numbers 43, 46, 48, 65, & 66 to mention a few.

They've all been generated using the Melodist and then edited to better suit what I was hearing. Some are totally BB while others have some live instruments in them. I was using a fair amount of BB trumpet and trombone in some of them.

It's a very cool thing to use when you want to create something and just need a little bit of help to get the juices flowing.

Regarding your song..... I liked it.
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I've occasionally used it when I couldn't think of anything, but then typically editing the heck out of it after that.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at with my sceptic remark on the existing demos, they seemed just a bit 'too good' to believe, you know.
But I very intentionally resisted this here because that would've defied the point of the experiment... well, that and the fact that the result actually was pretty darn decent!
Originally Posted By: YerLipsAreBlue
This particular one is very impressive! Is this the "melodist" feature? I need to read in the manual more about this. Didn't realize it makes the entire song not just the melody.
Yup... or rather, that's one of the things it can do. Whether or not one then likes the outcome, that's another question - which this example here is somewhat all about, really.
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Very cool.====It doesn't seem to write simple songs===
Now, there's an understatement! laugh
I mean, even this seemingly simple piece here is deceptively complex - just take a look at the chords, you'l soon see there's actually a lot going on there:

Attached picture Chords.png
Very nice Janne. Incredible piece of software. Well done
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very nice Janne. Incredible piece of software. Well done
Erm... "Janne"? wink
This is a nice sounding song. Interesting and relaxing to listen to. Great job Eddie! - err - Band-in-a-Box!? smile
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Great job Eddie! - err - Band-in-a-Box!? smile
There ya go! grin
It is amazing what BIAB can do, You sound is remarkable. Most of my tracks are BIAB only. Occasionally I will add a guitar or keyboard part.
Thanks, though I'm not sure how much credit I can take there, if any. I mean, while I did indeed manually do the panning & volume and (obviously) pick sound sources for the melody/solo, that's the extent of my input, really.
It's even rendered to audio "straight out of the box", bad pun intended, so this genuinely is as much the application at work as can be, I'd say.
© PG Music Forums