PG Music Home
Nowhere Street

I started working on this one a couple of weeks ago, had the basic format and the melody, but, as happens more often than not for me, was having a problem coming up with a decent lyric.
Marty came to my rescue, and in short order came up with a lyric that totally matched the mood and feel of the piece. Thanks, Marty!

The Band:

2734:Organ, Rhythm BluesSlow128Mike Sw 065
BluesRock128^3-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I did the vocal and all the guitar tracks, and Marty is on bass.

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone.

Nowhere Street (2022, Marty Straub)

1)
Staying inside tonight. Away from all the joys, down where we used to meet.
Since you have been gone, life has no meaning.
I'm staying right here nursing this whiskey, on this lonely street.

2)
Giving up way too soon. I feel that you were wrong, leaving so soon that way.
All that we had planned gone in a flash of time,
and all that we've done, all hopes we shared, lost in yesterday.

CH:
Nowhere Street they should shut you down. Get out of town. We don't need you hanging 'round.
Life on Nowhere Street is just a dead end way to live.
Cold and lonely Nowhere street.

All comments welcome!

02/15: Uploaded new mix
Dave,

It's a shame that the name "Blues Brothers" has already been used, because that's what I would call you and Marty! Great job by both of you! Dave, that guitar solo was great! Thanks, Torrey
Hi Dave and Marty
Cool song
Sounds really good
Your vocals fit the song very well
By the way, your bass player is also a hit ;-)
Listening to your guitar solos is especially fun of course
You can try as hard as you want with BiaB,
it doesn't stand a chance against a solo played
by a guitarist especially for a song.
The cover artwork also looks great
Good work guys
See you soon
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Cool title!

And it's blues! How can you do wrong?

Soft, smoky vocals, cool guitar riffs, interesting arrangement. That's just icing on an already delicious cake.

It all works for me. smile
Dave

One of your best vocals.

Superb guitar throughout - some lovely lead parts great tone, and some pretty rhythm playing as well.

Excellent bass by Marty.

Great work all round on a fine blues.

Peter
Where would the blues be without a hearty helping of self pity and booze?
This one nails the urban, lovelorn vibe.
well done gents.
I love a blues with urban lyrics and this one oozes images of the city. Great guitar motifs that further the point. Excellent work, gents!
Hi Dave and Marty,

King of Blues! That's how we must call you two.
Marvellous song, with a very nice lead and bass and that bright sounding drums.
And the lyrics? Blues need this kind of dejection. One can (almost) identify with the main character and take another sip of rum...

I have one minor thing, no one yet mentioned it, so it is a matter of taste I presume, but I would see your vocals more upfront.
The instruments are louder compared with the vocals and I couldn't understand clearly what you were singing about. Was a bit depressing for me, but that's what Blues does...

So really, this is another great song from your hand(s), but stay modest!

Hans
(when do you come to Holland?)
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dave,

It's a shame that the name "Blues Brothers" has already been used, because that's what I would call you and Marty! Great job by both of you! Dave, that guitar solo was great! Thanks, Torrey

Hey Torrey,
Marty and I have a blast working on these songs together, both mine and his. I guess he is my brother in blues! Happy you like the solo, just a one take thing.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Dave and Marty
Cool song
Sounds really good
Your vocals fit the song very well
By the way, your bass player is also a hit ;-)
Listening to your guitar solos is especially fun of course
You can try as hard as you want with BiaB,
it doesn't stand a chance against a solo played
by a guitarist especially for a song.
The cover artwork also looks great
Good work guys
See you soon
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Hi Andi,

Well, I've heard some of the users here produce songs with very good guitar solos generated via BIAB. But pretty much impossible to use it if you need a specific part, such as the main guitar theme in this song.

Yeah, Marty is the man when it comes to bass!

Thanks for the listen and kind words smile
Everything is where it should be, at just the right time, and tone... really cool lyrics, and sung so well... the mix sounds near perfect to me.
Another excellent collaboration by both of you.
Nice one !
Always love your guitar work and your smoky vocals.

Nice write Marty.

moto
Dave & Marty,

VERY cool Blues. Great groove.

Rock Solid bed. Cool organ, Buttery Bass (Love it!), Awesome Drums (crisp and punchy).
That guitar SINGS - Smokey and Hot.

Good vocal. Smokey and Cool.

Excellent mix. Sounds Great in the 'phones.

Sweet. Great listen.

fj
Dave and Marty,

Really enjoyed this one!
Very bluesy.
Guitar solos are fantastic.
Good lyrics.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Cool title!

And it's blues! How can you do wrong?

Soft, smoky vocals, cool guitar riffs, interesting arrangement. That's just icing on an already delicious cake.

It all works for me. smile

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave

One of your best vocals.

Superb guitar throughout - some lovely lead parts great tone, and some pretty rhythm playing as well.

Excellent bass by Marty.

Great work all round on a fine blues.

Peter

My favorite part of the song is the bass part Marty came up with, especially the bit where he answers the main guitar theme, makes me smile every time I hear it wink

Thanks, Peter!

Thanks Peter wink

Hey y'all great blues tunes here!

Love the sound and the mix. Nice lyrics Marty!
You guys sure do hit it off together well, musically speaking. I love that guitar riff. Well written song. You captured the mood perfectly. Good tune.
Many have used the word "smokey" here, both about Dave's singing and the song in general. Perfect!! I also agree with the urban sound, setting and feel of this one. Dave, you picked the prefect pic for that. Thanks to all who commented on my bass --including you, Dave. Glad the response approach makes you smile. I wasn't sure it was going to work.
Very nice whiskey nursing song with street imagery, only rain is missing wink
I like the soft vocal approach. The band works well, the guitar solo lifts it high above the skyline.

Janne
Quote:
Marty came to my rescue, and in short order came up with a lyric that totally matched the mood and feel of the piece.

It was well matched indeed and the guitar work (both lead and bass) was, as usual a pleasure to listen to. Great work guys.
Originally Posted By: rayc
Where would the blues be without a hearty helping of self pity and booze?
This one nails the urban, lovelorn vibe.
well done gents.

Thanks for stopping by, Ray!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I love a blues with urban lyrics and this one oozes images of the city. Great guitar motifs that further the point. Excellent work, gents!

Thanks TM, appreciate that!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave and Marty,

King of Blues! That's how we must call you two.
Marvellous song, with a very nice lead and bass and that bright sounding drums.
And the lyrics? Blues need this kind of dejection. One can (almost) identify with the main character and take another sip of rum...

I have one minor thing, no one yet mentioned it, so it is a matter of taste I presume, but I would see your vocals more upfront.
The instruments are louder compared with the vocals and I couldn't understand clearly what you were singing about. Was a bit depressing for me, but that's what Blues does...

So really, this is another great song from your hand(s), but stay modest!

Hans
(when do you come to Holland?)

Hi Hans,

Well, I'm not quite done with the mix on this one yet, it still needs work. I find that for myself I sometimes need quite a bit of distance from the song before going back in. Maybe next week I'll have another crack at it wink

As far as Holland goes I'm also not quite ready for international travel yet wink But, it will happen one day wink
Hi BlueAttitude,

It's very well done. The mix is ​​excellent. I enjoyed the lyrics and the symbiosis with the solo guitar. Very pleasant composition.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
We see a man walking down a dark street stopping and leaning against a lamppost while musing.
And of course he's wearing a fedora.

Smokeyness (new word) abounds ... in the guitar, your vocal and the lyric.

As always you and Marty maintain the high bar with your instrumental performances.

And, Dave, it's great to hear you sitting a little bit on top of the mix vocally.
Right where it oughta be for us. Well done.

We enjoyed it y'all!

J&B
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Everything is where it should be, at just the right time, and tone... really cool lyrics, and sung so well... the mix sounds near perfect to me.
Another excellent collaboration by both of you.

Thanks, really appreciate the positive feedback!

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nice one !
Always love your guitar work and your smoky vocals.

Nice write Marty.

moto

It wouldn't have been much of a song without Marty, that's for sure! wink

Thanks, moto!
Well you certainly both work great as a team.

No question.

Innovative use of the organ, and the guitar work is sweet.
Had a couple listens to this from the Facebook page. Perfect vocal for the backtrack Dave. Guitar and bass lines were awesome. Super lyric Marty. You guys sure make a great team. Producing first class music. I am a fan.....
Blue Attitude:

Love what you all do . . . always such a stellar, clean and slick mix/production. That lead guitar resonates beyond belief. Just a cool blues song . . . kinda reminds me of something Mark Knopfler would do. Excellent stuff!

My best to you all,

Deej
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Marty,

VERY cool Blues. Great groove.

Rock Solid bed. Cool organ, Buttery Bass (Love it!), Awesome Drums (crisp and punchy).
That guitar SINGS - Smokey and Hot.

Good vocal. Smokey and Cool.

Excellent mix. Sounds Great in the 'phones.

Sweet. Great listen.

fj

Thanks, floyd, for the support and encouragement you have given me over the years. It is greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Dave and Marty,

Really enjoyed this one!
Very bluesy.
Guitar solos are fantastic.
Good lyrics.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, Rob!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey y'all great blues tunes here!

Love the sound and the mix. Nice lyrics Marty!

Thanks for the listen and comments, David!

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
You guys sure do hit it off together well, musically speaking. I love that guitar riff. Well written song. You captured the mood perfectly. Good tune.

Well, we hit it off together well on all levels actually wink Thanks for stopping by!
Blue Attitude team,
Definitely a winner. Stunning guitar work. Lyrics->vocals, a perfect match. Bass meant to be. Mix is clear and listens very well. What would be really cool if you can get a female vocalist to do some BGV in same relaxed manner as this was sung, maybe even some vocal track from BIAB... I think it could add an interesting layer. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
© PG Music Forums