PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss ROLL WITH IT - 02/17/22 11:47 PM
ROLL WITH IT

The is a total redo of a tune I posted about 3 years ago. I started over from the ground up on it. I wanted a better mix and up the tempo a little to give it more snap. It's an R&B type tune that's got a lot going on in it and I will probably be tweaking it for a couple of weeks and definitely re-recording the vocals in places. Thanks for checking it out.

BIAB
Drums - Funky Groove 60's
Drums - Jazz Funk Pop
Piano - 2194 Electric Vintage
Bass - 2260 Funky Groove 60's
Guitar - 2930 Folk Rock 8ths Brent
Guitar - 2348 Jazz Funk Groovin
Horns - Funk 2 Part
Synth - Pop Shining Voice

Me
Vocals
Guitar- Rhythm and lead
Electric Piano
Percussion

Roll With It
Words and music by
Torrey Bliss copyright 2019

I've got a will
She's got her way
And I know where we'll be
At the end of the day
She'll never lose
But she'll never win
Each day we get up
And start it over again
Oh I know that I could just walk away
Still Together on this road we will stay

I'm gonna roll with it baby
I know that we'll make it
Our love is getting stronger each day
Wherever life will take us
I'm gonna be there with you

She picks me up
Then brings me down
One moment she'll laugh
Then won't make a sound
I'll spend my life
Trying to figure out
Just what makes her tick
Just what she's all about
Oh I know I couldn't make it alone
Still Together we'll just keep movin' on

I know that we'll make it
Our love is getting stronger each day
Wherever life will take us
I'm gonna be there with you
Posted By: dcuny Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 01:18 AM
Catchy chorus, classic sound. Lots of snap to the drums, bouncy bass. Nice solo. Horns comment out every now and then.

Fun song, I'll even forgive you for "But together on this road we will stay" wink

The chorus sticks with me - always a good sign.

Good to hear it again! laugh
Posted By: rayc Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 01:33 AM
Ah, I remember - in a flash the entire thing was back in the frontal lobe. This is a classic Torry...sounds like it could also do well as a five minute extended version too.
Nice tweaking and the tempo change works well.
Posted By: firesong Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 03:03 AM
Torrey...you just crossed the Doobie Brothers with Chicago in one tune...is there anything musically you don't do with excellence? (that's rhetorical)...your vocals are so well done...I'm a harmony lover and this tune has such great harmony...the track is mixed and arranged so excellently...when you sing the line "roll with it baby" I hear Michael McDonald on one of those parts...no kidding...just great!
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 03:29 AM
Nice groove, easy on the ear. Excellent guitars. It already had a lot going for it. I look forward to hearing your tweeks over the coming weeks. "Tweeks over the coming weeks." Hey, that could be a song - I better get onto it!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 09:22 AM
Hello Torrey
This is an absolutely brilliant song
You sing it so outstanding
I had listened to the song on the computer
It sounded so good that I immediately listened to it in my living room over my stereo.
The sound is excellent
The guitar solos played really great
What I like about this song is that it is faded out
This always fits great with this kind of music
Great work Torrey
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Catchy chorus, classic sound. Lots of snap to the drums, bouncy bass. Nice solo. Horns comment out every now and then.

Fun song, I'll even forgive you for "But together on this road we will stay" wink

The chorus sticks with me - always a good sign.

Good to hear it again! laugh

Thanks David! I was actually in the process of changing the lines you mentioned when I saw your post. I realized I had the word "but" mentioned too many times in the lyrics and swiftly got that corrected. Appreciate the listen and comments! T
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 10:48 AM
Torrey,
Either I did not hear original (which is unlikely), or it went through some serious changes as it sounds brand new to me smile
Excellent tune to start my day. Classic R&B sound. Composition and vocals are brilliant. Listens very well. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. There is a small brass section at about 0.58, which is interestingly shifts groove a little. I think it could be fun if it sort of repeated in different sections throughout the tune.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 04:25 PM
Torrey,

I remember this! Terrific catchy melody.

Drums sound GREAT. Punchy, melodic Bass. Nice guitar. The horn accents are well done.

Excellent vocals and BGVs.
There were times that I thought the vocal seemed in-a-different-space than the instrument mix. That feeling seem to come-and-go as I listened (several times - first on monitors, then with earbuds).

Good music - as always. Love listening to your stuff...

fj
Posted By: Derochette Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 05:09 PM
Hi Torrey Bliss,

Always so good in your compositions. It's a really catchy song. Well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 06:20 PM
Hi Torrey,

Very professional production, excellent vocals and tasty lead guitar.

Several times I could have sworn I was listening to the Eagles with Don Henley singing and Don Felder on lead - which is a very good thing.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: bloc-head Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 09:38 PM
This is a really soulful song with a lot of commercial appeal... and your vocals & guitar playing is super smooth... I love it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/18/22 09:51 PM
Torrey, this is R&B at its best and it should be given radio air play.

This is pro all the way. Loved that chorus!

Super guitar, excellent vocal,great lyrics and the perfect backing band all sounding like it was mixed in a pro studio.

Loved it!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/19/22 12:02 AM
I don't remember hearing the first version so it's all new to me. It is really smooth rocker. Hall Oates or some similar style. Good use of the band and wonderful guitar playing. Good one. I like it.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/19/22 09:50 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Ah, I remember - in a flash the entire thing was back in the frontal lobe. This is a classic Torry...sounds like it could also do well as a five minute extended version too.
Nice tweaking and the tempo change works well.

Thanks for taking time to check it out again Ray! T
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/19/22 11:22 AM
Very catchy rhythm and the melody in the chorus definitely creates the perfect earworm --something that continues long after the song ends. Excellent solo. So good all around, Torrey.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/19/22 01:33 PM
Well done!
I like the way the vocals sit in this.
The main vocal is rather dry compared to the band and the backing vocals........works perfectly!

Moto
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/19/22 01:45 PM
I have been listening to many of your songs, each one better than the next. I like your mix, song styles, and performances.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/19/22 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Torrey...you just crossed the Doobie Brothers with Chicago in one tune...is there anything musically you don't do with excellence? (that's rhetorical)...your vocals are so well done...I'm a harmony lover and this tune has such great harmony...the track is mixed and arranged so excellently...when you sing the line "roll with it baby" I hear Michael McDonald on one of those parts...no kidding...just great!

Thanks Dan! I have always been blown away by the seemingly unlimited talent of Micheal McDonald! So many are unaware of all the stuff he has recorded over the years. I could only in my dreams try to do something that sounded anything like him. I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/20/22 08:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Nice groove, easy on the ear. Excellent guitars. It already had a lot going for it. I look forward to hearing your tweeks over the coming weeks. "Tweeks over the coming weeks." Hey, that could be a song - I better get onto it!

Thanks Ghostgum for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! I will be watching for that new tune! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/20/22 09:00 AM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Torrey
This is an absolutely brilliant song
You sing it so outstanding
I had listened to the song on the computer
It sounded so good that I immediately listened to it in my living room over my stereo.
The sound is excellent
The guitar solos played really great
What I like about this song is that it is faded out
This always fits great with this kind of music
Great work Torrey
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi! I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/20/22 09:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Torrey,
Either I did not hear original (which is unlikely), or it went through some serious changes as it sounds brand new to me smile
Excellent tune to start my day. Classic R&B sound. Composition and vocals are brilliant. Listens very well. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. There is a small brass section at about 0.58, which is interestingly shifts groove a little. I think it could be fun if it sort of repeated in different sections throughout the tune.

Thanks Misha! The brass is actually repeating all throughout the song but in a lot of places it is obscured by everything else going on with vocals and guitar fills. T
Posted By: RnAM Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/20/22 01:57 PM
Hi Torrey,

Again another very good song!
And different from your other songs.
Great guitar solo!
Terrific vocals.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:16 AM
[quote=floyd jane]Torrey,

I remember this! Terrific catchy melody.

Drums sound GREAT. Punchy, melodic Bass. Nice guitar. The horn accents are well done.

Excellent vocals and BGVs.
There were times that I thought the vocal seemed in-a-different-space than the instrument mix. That feeling seem to come-and-go as I listened (several times - first on monitors, then with earbuds).

Good music - as always. Love listening to your stuff...

fj [/quote

Thanks Floyd! I was trying out a new effects chain for the vocals ( I have since re-posted with a different one) and it was probably the reason things seemed a little "off", especially when the double tracked parts came in.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Torrey Bliss,

Always so good in your compositions. It's a really catchy song. Well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks Derochette! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:18 AM
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Torrey,

Very professional production, excellent vocals and tasty lead guitar.

Several times I could have sworn I was listening to the Eagles with Don Henley singing and Don Felder on lead - which is a very good thing.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel for the awesome comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:19 AM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
This is a really soulful song with a lot of commercial appeal... and your vocals & guitar playing is super smooth... I love it.

Thanks bloc-head for stopping by and having a listen! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:20 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Torrey, this is R&B at its best and it should be given radio air play.

This is pro all the way. Loved that chorus!

Super guitar, excellent vocal,great lyrics and the perfect backing band all sounding like it was mixed in a pro studio.

Loved it!

Thanks Mario for the super comments! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:21 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
I don't remember hearing the first version so it's all new to me. It is really smooth rocker. Hall Oates or some similar style. Good use of the band and wonderful guitar playing. Good one. I like it.

Thanks jptjptjpt! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:22 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Very catchy rhythm and the melody in the chorus definitely creates the perfect earworm --something that continues long after the song ends. Excellent solo. So good all around, Torrey.

Thanks Marty! I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:23 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Well done!
I like the way the vocals sit in this.
The main vocal is rather dry compared to the band and the backing vocals........works perfectly!

Moto

Thanks Captain! Yes this one required a dryer. Tighter effect for the vocals. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
I have been listening to many of your songs, each one better than the next. I like your mix, song styles, and performances.

Thanks Elliott for taking time to listen and comment! T
Posted By: Birchwood Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 12:54 PM
Hi Torrey,

I also remember this song. I was impressed then by the smooth melody you brought/bring so catchy to us/me.
In other words, I was a littlebit jealous and wanted to make something like your melodies too!
Well, nothing much has changed; the remake is also very good and catchy and it's a great swinging song.

Oh..., well one thing changed; I'm not jealous anymore, because I accepted I can't reach the hight you have in the vocals ;-)
Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 05:58 PM
We are R&B fans and also the Doobie Bros so this works for us!

Engaging is the word for us ... from the intro to the fade.

Vocals, lyric, melody, your instrumental performances and the mix are all ace.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/21/22 08:48 PM
I agree with Firesong: This has a Doobie Bros feel. Soulfully sung. This would have been a top 40 staple back in the day. Love the guitar bits.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/22/22 08:30 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Torrey,

Again another very good song!
And different from your other songs.
Great guitar solo!
Terrific vocals.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie for the nice comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/22/22 08:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Torrey,

I also remember this song. I was impressed then by the smooth melody you brought/bring so catchy to us/me.
In other words, I was a littlebit jealous and wanted to make something like your melodies too!
Well, nothing much has changed; the remake is also very good and catchy and it's a great swinging song.

Oh..., well one thing changed; I'm not jealous anymore, because I accepted I can't reach the hight you have in the vocals ;-)
Hans

Thanks Hans! I always love your songs and vocals! Always excellent! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/22/22 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We are R&B fans and also the Doobie Bros so this works for us!

Engaging is the word for us ... from the intro to the fade.

Vocals, lyric, melody, your instrumental performances and the mix are all ace.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks J&B for the kind words! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/22/22 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I agree with Firesong: This has a Doobie Bros feel. Soulfully sung. This would have been a top 40 staple back in the day. Love the guitar bits.

Thanks Scott for having a listen! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: David Snyder Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/24/22 12:06 PM

Sounds great man.

Has a real 80s feel to it. smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/25/22 10:26 PM
Dynamic intro gets attention immediately.

Great arrangement, encapsulated with a really quality vocal.

Excellent.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: ROLL WITH IT - 02/26/22 01:45 PM
Cool. I don't recall the original but this remake is spot on.

I actually got an Eagles vibe off it. Some of the stuff Timothy B Schmidt sings fits right along the lines of this.

Nice mix. Great harmony work on the vocals and thats where a lot of the Eagles vibe is coming from along with the groove of the tune itself.

Loved it
© PG Music Forums