PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/19/22 11:07 PM
Hello Folks,
I was unable to edit the OP on the original thread for this song so had to start a new one.
I spent some time listening to & thinking about my last couple of songs.
The vocals need work and I was tempted, as suggested by Floyd, to opt for synthesis BUT figured I'd better have a solid crack at doing it myself before that.
Yesterday I was alone in the house so was able to "sing" louder and for longer.
I sang slightly across the mic to reduce the harshness, plosives and sibilance in my recorded voice.
I think I achieved a less annoying recording in those terms.
This version of the song has double tracked vocals, no de-essing etc., a little tuning and some Melodyne created harmonies in the verses.
It needs more work but I seem to have managed the choruses a bit better if nothing more.
AS I LIE AWAKE - NO PITCH CHEAT TRACKING.
Thoughts, suggestions etc. always welcome and usually attempted.
UPDATE
Errant notes corrected etc.
This is the update on the other mumble song. It still needs LOTS of work on the choruses, I can't post it at the top of its own thread for the seam reason as this one...
Other Mumble Track Updated.
& here's a third track from the "free to shout" session...though it's earmarked by another singer...
Perfect Stranger (Killing A...)
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 12:05 AM
Man, after all the reasons you'd given for burying your vocals, I was surprised to hear this wasn't awful. But it's better than not awful.

These unburied vocals are FINE, these unburied vocals are GOOD, if I could do that (and maybe I can, but never mind that now) I would.

Of course, artful obfuscation for its own sake is fine, no reason to leave well enough alone if you can mess with it, and as listeners we all have dues to pay. We should have to work on it. But, sometimes, after a while, having to listen to deliberately crappified vocals can leave one wishing it were just an instrumental.

This is good. As I recall earlier versions, it's a major improvement. Whatever you did, you should do it more.
Posted By: dcuny Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 04:26 AM
I agree with Mark - this is worlds better than the prior version! It's good to hear vocals front and center, as they should be.

Nothing sticks out with the vocals, and the harmonies work nicely. Importantly to me, I could understand the vocals without having work at it.

I don't really have much to add, other than perhaps the drum could come up in the mix?

Good job! smile
Posted By: RnAM Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 02:04 PM
Hi Ray,

Vocals sound very good.
You can really sing low!

I know about singing louder and longer laugh
I always stop singing when Rob enters the room and go on when he leaves it.
He doesn't comment when I'm singing, but it is some sort of shyness that many people feel, I think, when singing without an audience and only relatives around.

Really like the song!

Anne-Marie
Posted By: Alexander Paul Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 02:10 PM
I don't think I heard the previous version, but I think the vocals fit this song!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 02:28 PM
Great job. You should quit your day job and give private voice lessons !
Job well done mate smile
Posted By: bloc-head Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 03:14 PM
Much better Vocal mix... Love the lyrics and delivery.
I agree with David, Drums & Bass could come up a bit...
I'm hearing a bad note standing out at 1:52
Posted By: floyd jane Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 03:25 PM
Sounds good. Really good.

A good balanced mix. Vocal sits perfectly.

We don't need no stinkin' robot voices....

(that original suggestion was not intended to "dis" your vocal abilities - at all!!
I just thought that the song would be a good one for a synth voice - it would "work" well)

Good job on this. A good vocal!

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 06:39 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Sounds good. Really good.

A good balanced mix. Vocal sits perfectly.

We don't need no stinkin' robot voices....

(that original suggestion was not intended to "dis" your vocal abilities - at all!!
I just thought that the song would be a good one for a synth voice - it would "work" well)

Good job on this. A good vocal!

fj

Yes Floyd, for the Miamama song the tuning of the draft vocal was almost robotic anyway...& it coincided with similar thoughts from me as well. DCuny even offered assistance - lovely chap.
I certainly didn't take it as a slap down...I took it as a good idea but also as a "one last go" at that song...I tracked vocals for it & another on the same after noon...they're yet to be worked on in terms of comping and such.
Thanks for the kind words about this one.
Posted By: PeterF Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/20/22 06:44 PM
Ray

Much better. An eminently listenable vocal track.

Sounds good.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Man, after all the reasons you'd given for burying your vocals, I was surprised to hear this wasn't awful. But it's better than not awful.

These unburied vocals are FINE, these unburied vocals are GOOD, if I could do that (and maybe I can, but never mind that now) I would.

Of course, artful obfuscation for its own sake is fine, no reason to leave well enough alone if you can mess with it, and as listeners we all have dues to pay. We should have to work on it. But, sometimes, after a while, having to listen to deliberately crappified vocals can leave one wishing it were just an instrumental.

This is good. As I recall earlier versions, it's a major improvement. Whatever you did, you should do it more.

Thanks Mark,
I've not had the opportunity to be loud for over a year so haven't been able to track a vocal that was useable in that time.
PLUS I'd MUCH rather someone else sing & "sell" the songs.
I think the difference in mic. technique made a significant difference as well...clarity, fewer artefacts etc.
I'm pleased, believe me, I was a shocked as you.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I agree with Mark - this is worlds better than the prior version! It's good to hear vocals front and center, as they should be.
Nothing sticks out with the vocals, and the harmonies work nicely. Importantly to me, I could understand the vocals without having work at it.
I don't really have much to add, other than perhaps the drum could come up in the mix?
Good job! smile

Thanks dc,
Drums up? I'll try it.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:29 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Ray,
Vocals sound very good.
You can really sing low!
I know about singing louder and longer laugh
I always stop singing when Rob enters the room and go on when he leaves it.
He doesn't comment when I'm singing, but it is some sort of shyness that many people feel, I think, when singing without an audience and only relatives around.
Really like the song!
Anne-Marie

Thank you Anne-Marie,
I am, despite being a primary school teacher for forty years, quite shy outside the workplace.
When playing in bands I ALWAYS needed a chord chart - without it I was frozen - with it I could ignore it.
Thanks for the empathy.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Alexander Paul
I don't think I heard the previous version, but I think the vocals fit this song!

Thanks A.P.,
If they fit then they're fine with me too.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Much better Vocal mix... Love the lyrics and delivery.
I agree with David, Drums & Bass could come up a bit...
I'm hearing a bad note standing out at 1:52

Thanks bloc-head,
I was hoping those bum notes would sneak by...they're BIAB generated & that happens occasionally. The organ part has LOTS of slightly flat notes and in that section there were a couple of notes a semitone out so they poked into view.
Sorted now...thanks. I'll post the fixed version sometime today.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Great job. You should quit your day job and give private voice lessons !
Job well done mate smile

Thanks BT,
I can't quit what I don't have!
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray
Much better. An eminently listenable vocal track.
Sounds good.
Peter

Thank you Peter.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 12:55 AM
Sounds good. I don't know if this is the final product, but it could be. You write good, interesting songs. Good use of the band. I too have to wait until I get the house alone before I can really belt one out - or I have to retreat to my car.

Good one here.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 04:09 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sounds good. I don't know if this is the final product, but it could be. You write good, interesting songs. Good use of the band. I too have to wait until I get the house alone before I can really belt one out - or I have to retreat to my car.

Good one here.

Thanks jptX3,
It's not done...needs some tweaking ...possibly comp the multitrack vox into a single? THEN it'd be off to the M.E.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 01:04 PM
Hi Ray,

Finally I hear your vocals as they should be in terms of volume and brightness. A shame you have hidden them for so long!
They sound good (enough) and that helps the melody enormously. Maybe in future songs you can skip the doubles in the verses. That make the chorusses sound great(er) in my humble opinion.
But very well done! This is how I like future Ray-songs!!!

Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 06:36 PM
Ray, we always love your thought provoking writes and enjoy reading the lyric again and again.

All the songs reaped the rewards of your "free to shout" session and we hope you can arrange more of those. wink

The lead and harmonies sound good and we especially liked the arrangement of the voices on the end of "You Seem Alien to Me."

Your instrumental performances as well as the RT choices sound ace to us.

Enjoyed them all!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 09:13 PM
Your vocal sounds just fine!

I liked the mix and backing tracks.

Two thumbs up
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/21/22 09:50 PM
Ray, it's like the difference between night and day! Your vocal sound great to me! Once again, I really love that chorus! It really stays with the listener for a while! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: David Snyder Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/22/22 12:01 AM

Ray,

I not only like the vocal a lot, I like the way it is blended. This is really good. I genuinely enjoyed this.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/22/22 08:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray,
Finally I hear your vocals as they should be in terms of volume and brightness. A shame you have hidden them for so long!
They sound good (enough) and that helps the melody enormously. Maybe in future songs you can skip the doubles in the verses. That make the chorusses sound great(er) in my humble opinion.
But very well done! This is how I like future Ray-songs!!!
Hans

Thanks Hans,
They've been hidden becasue they weren't up to scratch.
The vocals will be thinned as I'm in the processing of "comping" the best parts into one track.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/22/22 08:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Ray, we always love your thought provoking writes and enjoy reading the lyric again and again.
All the songs reaped the rewards of your "free to shout" session and we hope you can arrange more of those. wink
The lead and harmonies sound good and we especially liked the arrangement of the voices on the end of "You Seem Alien to Me."
Your instrumental performances as well as the RT choices sound ace to us.
Enjoyed them all!
J&B

Thanks J&B,
having and taking the chance with these songs is great because I'll be able to "stick a fork" in them sooner rather than later.
Such opportunities will be few & far between for the next six months or so.
Still, plenty happening to keep me busy.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/22/22 08:27 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Your vocal sounds just fine!

I liked the mix and backing tracks.

Two thumbs up

PHANQUE Mario,
you're very kind.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/22/22 08:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Ray, it's like the difference between night and day! Your vocal sound great to me! Once again, I really love that chorus! It really stays with the listener for a while! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you Torrey,

Basically the chorus melody is, as you can hear: root, 5th, root then semitone shift down, semi tone shift down to start again.
I prefer an excellent voice wielded by a passionate performer, such as yourself but needs must.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/22/22 08:34 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Ray,

I not only like the vocal a lot, I like the way it is blended. This is really good. I genuinely enjoyed this.

Thanks David,
A bit of Phil Spector, (without the pistol), stacked vocals helps the weak voiced like me.
Posted By: Derochette Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/25/22 12:24 PM
Hi Rayc,

The sound of your guitars reminds me of shadows. Your voice is well mixed and fits perfectly with the instruments. Your sequence of chords is always interesting because out of the ordinary. Well done. I appreciated.

kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackflash
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/26/22 09:04 PM
Yes, this sounds really good. As others have commented, there is nothing wrong with the vocal. Hitting the bottom of your range? I like your harmony.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/26/22 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Rayc,
The sound of your guitars reminds me of shadows. Your voice is well mixed and fits perfectly with the instruments. Your sequence of chords is always interesting because out of the ordinary. Well done. I appreciated.

Thanks JJF,
A bit of AC30 tone & a spring reverb can do wonders.
Posted By: rayc Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/26/22 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Yes, this sounds really good. As others have commented, there is nothing wrong with the vocal. Hitting the bottom of your range? I like your harmony.

Bottom of my range & bucket I suspect.
Thanks ES.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: AS I LIE AWAKE sans Cheat - 02/27/22 10:43 AM
You are making very good progress in that endeavor, Ray. These vocals sound far better than anything synthetic. And you're mixing them up front where they belong.
© PG Music Forums