PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong I Remember Those Days - 02/22/22 04:15 PM
I rarely step outside of the gospel music genre and if I do it's usually a song about family...this is one of those songs I wrote for "Cousinfest" which is a bi-annual family reunion we hold in Kentucky near our ancestral homeplace...it's country (of coarse) and pretty simple...it's some thoughts I have about my many (127) first cousins...it's a sentimental journey for me...maybe for you too (stranger things have happened!)

I Remember Those Days
https://soundclick.com/r/s8k2p0

BiaB components:
2609 Electric Bass
852 Electric Guitar Rhythm Nashville Pop Clean
3149 Mandola Background Americana Folk
3147 Mandola Rhythm Americana Folk
Real Drums Nashville Even 8's
Posted By: bloc-head Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/22/22 04:23 PM
I love this song... so well written and arranged...
Vocals are great, but way too wet for me...
Back off on the reverb a lot, and I believe the song will
sound much better.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/22/22 11:25 PM
There's something about a good song that just pulls the listener in - and this is one of those songs.

Nice use of "I remember..." without making it sound like a list song.

Too much reverb? I'm the wrong person to give an opinion on that, I just remixed an older song an mixed in a ton of reverb.

The mandolin is especially sweet.

One nit - at 1:55 where "passes" jumps out in the left channel. It's easy to notice because everything else (harmonies, vocals, instruments) sits perfectly.

Really nice, pleasant song! smile
Posted By: firesong Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/23/22 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
I love this song... so well written and arranged...
Vocals are great, but way too wet for me...
Back off on the reverb a lot, and I believe the song will
sound much better.

Bloc-head...thanks for your comments...so glad you liked the song...I'll give the reverb a listen and maybe make adjustments per your thoughts...thanks for listening with a helpful ear.
Posted By: firesong Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/23/22 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
There's something about a good song that just pulls the listener in - and this is one of those songs.

Nice use of "I remember..." without making it sound like a list song.

Too much reverb? I'm the wrong person to give an opinion on that, I just remixed an older song an mixed in a ton of reverb.

The mandolin is especially sweet.

One nit - at 1:55 where "passes" jumps out in the left channel. It's easy to notice because everything else (harmonies, vocals, instruments) sits perfectly.

Really nice, pleasant song! smile

David...thanks for the comments...reverb is a trick for me to get right sometimes...I've become obsessed with bluegrass instruments (mandolin, fiddle, resonator and banjo) and love to use them in all genres of music...I'll check out that the "nit" and fix it later...thanks again...I always value your thoughts.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/23/22 03:22 PM
An enjoyable listen.

The lyrics are encapsulated with a special nostalgia.

"I remember it all...time can't erase" How true.
Posted By: firesong Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/24/22 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
An enjoyable listen.

The lyrics are encapsulated with a special nostalgia.

"I remember it all...time can't erase" How true.

Thanks so much for your comments.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/25/22 11:11 AM
Love it, brother. Cousinfest!? 127!! You sound comfortable in any genre, Dan, and you have one of those gifted voices that can fit anywhere. What a wonderful song.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/26/22 06:37 PM
Cousinfest ... what a cool way of keeping the family ties alive.

127 first cousins? Wow. Hope you have a large venue!

Quite an audience if you performed the tune!

Well done and a nice sentiment indeed.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/26/22 09:03 PM
This song doesn't sound simple at all! It sounds like a country masterpiece and those are hard to accomplish.

Super vocal; I like the amount of reverb you are using.

Great instrumentation and mix.

One of the best real country songs that I have heard in quite awhile.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/26/22 09:32 PM
I really like this song ... I wish I had written it!
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/27/22 09:29 PM
Excellent tune. Loved the lyrics and always super vocal. Well done..
Posted By: firesong Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/27/22 10:05 PM
Just got home from a weekend with the kids in Wisconsin and came home to all these gracious comments about "I Remember Those Days"...my sincere thanks and appreciation for every single word...thank you Scott, Brad, Mario,
Janice & Bud and Marty for all these encouraging messages!!
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/28/22 12:35 PM
Lovely song!
Good music and vocals.
Enjoyed.

Rob and Anne-marie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I Remember Those Days - 02/28/22 03:53 PM
Nice to get out of the genre box and spread your wings. I like this, a lot.

Regarding two comments....

reverb: Yes.... I agree... back off the verb and maybe only put it on the master buss and very lightly. leave the main vox almost dry

the PASSES thing around 1:55. I don't think it jumps out but it is noticeable. It sounds more like that particular take is out of sync and for that reason, and because it has "S" sounds in it, it is very noticeable.

Mandolin..... cut it off there at the end. remove those last dribbling notes. The song is done at 3:33 on that last chord hold.

All that aside... this is great!!!!
Posted By: firesong Re: I Remember Those Days - 03/01/22 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice to get out of the genre box and spread your wings. I like this, a lot.

Regarding two comments....

reverb: Yes.... I agree... back off the verb and maybe only put it on the master buss and very lightly. leave the main vox almost dry

the PASSES thing around 1:55. I don't think it jumps out but it is noticeable. It sounds more like that particular take is out of sync and for that reason, and because it has "S" sounds in it, it is very noticeable.

Mandolin..... cut it off there at the end. remove those last dribbling notes. The song is done at 3:33 on that last chord hold.

All that aside... this is great!!!!

Hey Guitarhacker...thanks for your comments...I appreciate your suggestions and have remastered the song...I reduced the reverb...cut the tail of the mandolin at the end...did some remixing of the BGV's and increased the volume of the lead vox...hope I made what you called great greater smile...thanks
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Remember Those Days - 03/02/22 11:50 AM
Dan

This may be "outside" of the gospel genre, but I have no doubt God is smiling down on this fine work you have put together! As always, I love the vocal work...it's beautiful! So glad you're a part of the forum and I always enjoy everything you post!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: firesong Re: I Remember Those Days - 03/02/22 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dan

This may be "outside" of the gospel genre, but I have no doubt God is smiling down on this fine work you have put together! As always, I love the vocal work...it's beautiful! So glad you're a part of the forum and I always enjoy everything you post!

Thanks, Torrey

Torrey...thanks so much....hope you know how much I value and appreciate your comments.
© PG Music Forums