PG Music Home
ALIEN

A song written / recorded by Ray Cochrane (rayc) and remixed by myself.

He can tell you more about it, I’ll just tell you what I did.

Honored to receive an invitation from Mister Ray for a collaboration, I initially looked into replacing his voice with a robot’s (his idea, not mine) but quickly decided that was a fool’s errand with an excellent organic vocal already in the can.

So I set out to highlight what I liked about the piece by cloning some of Ray’s tracks to new parts and reemphasizing others in place:

From voice: +1 octave, recorder, violin
From rhythm guitar: organ B, jangle guitar
From lead guitar: -1 octave, -2 octaves, English horn
And listen: to that original killer bass, nice 'n pumped here

This is what I came up with, and Ray says it’s OK to post, so here I am. Please to enjoy!

Mixed in Logic Pro with lots of help from Izotope.

CONTENT WARNING:
Click to reveal..
This recording uses BACKMASKING.
Posted By: rayc Re: ALIEN (collab: song by rayc, mix by mhayes) - 03/15/22 10:24 PM
Thanks Mark,
I REALLY like the difference in perspective and was happy to hand the mix to someone who would run with other ideas.
BIAB Organ & drums were in the stems, (individual or grouped tracks WITH effects, automation etc), sent to Mark. The other parts were/are me.
I really like it and the emphasis on bass which is something, as a bassist, I tend to avoid.
Nice collaboration, gents. The remix sounds good.
Regards,
Leon
I'm impressed... love the backwards...
Extremely innovatingly extream Gents.
Thanks, Leon and Bloc.

Just listened again myself... that ending, the last 30 seconds, is downright Beatlesy, isn't it? Like something from the Yellow Sub album, or Strawberry Fields Forever.

This was a buncha fun. Thanks, Ray!!
Just super good, guys. Ray, I love your bass, and I'm glad you guys decided to keep your vocal. Such a good mix and very creative work, Mark. Very interesting lyrics in a hypnotic melody. Great use of the backwards stuff, too.
Got my head spinning.
Strangely intriguing

moto

Sounds good guys. Very interesting for sure.
Ray & Mark,
Interesting collaboration. Dark, yet listens very well. Creative mix.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Wow! A big production. An outstanding mix. Good song. Nice collaboration, gents.
Reading comments, deelited to see folks listening.

Thought of the Day:

Working with someone else's stems is like being alone in their bathroom, looking through their medicine cabinet.
© PG Music Forums