PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark Hayes Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/11/22 08:09 PM
Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield

I started out exploring how slow a tempo BIAB was really capable of, added an ominous Animoog track, and quickly found myself hearing very scary things I had not at all intended.

This short (1:39) piece features extreme distortions of a RealTrack guitar and some other things I lost track of, and can be regarded either as a musical miniature or a bit of programmatic sound design.

Born in BIAB, executed in Logic Pro X.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/11/22 08:17 PM
i liked the fx.
very interesting....

and ominous is the word i would use.

best
om
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/11/22 08:39 PM
Mark, you nailed the Distant Battlefield perfectly

Great sound effects

My thoughts went immediately to Ukraine

Super song
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/12/22 01:05 AM
Hello Mark,

Its ominous sound is immediately reminiscent of the battlefield.
Great sound effect.
I couldn't imagine how slow the tempo was.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rayc Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/12/22 07:07 AM
How slow is it in BPMs?
I like the contrast of the thud crunch against the tinkling and the mid range flutey thing.
Boom crash.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/12/22 09:33 AM
Many thanks, OM, Mario, Shigeki, and Ray, for your kind words.

Regarding tempo:

I set it to 30 BPM then set the percentage to 1, meaning I should have had 0.3 BPM or over 3 minutes for a single beat. Rock and roll for the old folks! But obviously it isn't doing that, so I assume there's a secret threshold below which it doesn't apply the percentage. Logic says it's 30.

I also dropped the guitar an octave and played it backwards, which turned muted strums into rocket launches.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/12/22 10:36 AM
Yes, those scary things we hear so adequately portray the battlefield. SO much opposite of a lullaby designed to put children to sleep. Love the contrast, Marks. Very thought-provoking. How slow IS this? Cool idea, and now I too have to experiment. Thanks.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/12/22 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Yes, those scary things we hear so adequately portray the battlefield. SO much opposite of a lullaby designed to put children to sleep. Love the contrast, Mark. Very thought-provoking. How slow IS this? Cool idea, and now I too have to experiment. Thanks.

Thanks, Marty. It's 30 BPM.

Lullaby-wise: I picture a mother and her newborn baby, the mother is singing or playing along with the distant sounds of war, trying to comfort the baby, and it's actually working, for the moment: smiling baby eyes watch the flares of distant rockets, and it giggles with that kind of 4th of July "oooh!" happiness at the pretty lights, and mommy's voice and balalaika against the soft, cushiony explosions.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/12/22 01:36 PM
The Sound and the Fury... of war.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/13/22 01:43 PM
Cool track. Very ominous. You really nailed the vibe. Well done..
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/13/22 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
The Sound and the Fury... of war.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool track. Very ominous. You really nailed the vibe. Well done..

As always, thanks for the listen and think.

Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Lullaby-wise: I picture a mother and her newborn baby, the mother is singing or playing along with the distant sounds of war, trying to comfort the baby, and it's actually working, for the moment: smiling baby eyes watch the flares of distant rockets, and it giggles with that kind of 4th of July "oooh!" happiness at the pretty lights, and mommy's voice and balalaika against the soft, cushiony explosions.

Which idea came from this old Gary Larson cartoon.

PS – I have made some small changes since first posting, hopefully for the better, and they are there to be heard.

Attached picture aaa.jpg
Posted By: dcuny Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/13/22 04:25 PM
I remember reading somewhere that 30 BPM was pretty much the lower end of people being able to hear a tempo. And then immediately afterwards seeing an Adam Neely video refuting that laugh

I hate to use the word "interesting", but... interesting.
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/14/22 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I remember reading somewhere that 30 BPM was pretty much the lower end of people being able to hear a tempo.

There's that similar issue in singing, regarding who can sing the lowest note. An argument can be made that 0.189 Hz is not sound at all, but simply tissue flapping on a strict schedule.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/14/22 03:59 PM
Really makes one think of a battle field.
Interesting and cool stuff!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Lullaby of a Distant Battlefield - 04/22/22 09:50 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Really makes one think of a battle field.
Interesting and cool stuff!

And a belated merci for your kind comment. Please do not doubt that I appreciate your listening a great deal.
© PG Music Forums